Knee pain squats

I squatted 105kg 5x5 yesterday and I had such bad knee pain it woke me up during the night. Am I doing too much weight, or is it my technique? Are squats inherently bad for knees?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vmNPOjaGrVE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's your form, my guess is you are

A) not sticking your arse out far enough

B) not keeping the bar in the right position on your back, and are doing something like good mornings, where you bend forward as you come up

You have to find a rom that is comfortable for you. I tore my MCL 3x (sports related) and I have always lifted but in the last 2 years switched to ATG with full ROM and it really took the stress off my knees. I think the premature stopping put a lot stress on my knees, whereas dropping lower and activating more stabilizers was a lot more comfortable. You have to build up the flexibility and strength. Everyone has to squat a bit differently based on their proportions so find a ROM that is comfy and start adding weight as you build.

What the previous two anons said. Also, be very careful your knees stay behind your toes. Squats aren't inherently bad for your knees. There isn't really a thing like 'too much weight'. It is only too much weight when your form starts going bad. Take a vid of you squatting and let us judge and we'll be able to give better advice.

>Also, be very careful your knees stay behind your toes
Pls stop giving advice on lifting

film urself, you're knees are probably caving in when you get up. I was doing that and it hurt my knees after a while

The advice offered to total noobs to squat 3-5x5 3x per week is utterly retarded. Many will fuck themselves over this way.

Do low rep pause squat holds. Focus on holding the weight as low as you properly can with perfect form for as long as you can. Really focus on your form being perfect. Try a few reps with low weight exhaling at the bottom and maintaining tightness and perfect form. Do 10 sets of 1 rep every day. You won't be able to do as much weight with pause squat hold reps, maybe half or so of your 1rm. If you get sore keep going it's just lactic acid it means nothing. Do pause squats for up to a month and if all goes well assume your normal routine if not then move on to box squats.

Get some knee sleeves. Wear them for a few hours after squats too. Compression helps recovery.

This. Most beginners will have to concentrate on pushing their knees out to keep them from caving in. Almost everyone has weak adductors when they start out.

Inner left thigh hurts like fuck when squatting heavy. Whats going on lads

does it matter that my weight goes forward at the very bottom? i still do all the lifting with the weight centered but something about the bottom of my squats looks dirty.

woops. meant to post this one

Its a form issue. What helped me with my squat is thinking about the movement mentally. Don't move with your knees, but with your hips.

This is how deep you want to go

you need to improve at pushing your knees out and dorsiflexion, your heel raised there.
also make sure your stance width is right for your build.
that's just the weight being a bit too heavy, form breaks down and hips shoot up a bit

This

if your knees go forward it means that you werent in the right position after all

break at the knees not at the hips. Sinking that knee flexion in at the bottom like that could make you pull a tendon, happend to me once it went away withni a week though

I wore dress shoes all day and couldn't squat later that night. Normally, I can squat 3-4 plates, but I was having issues at 2.

So, it can always be something else.

i was maxing so it doesnt surprise me that my hips shot up a bit, but the heels coming of surprised me when i saw it cuz thats not something thats been an issue for me in a long time
thanks for the warning

Had oschgood schplatter disease on my knee, cant squat properly, what do I do

youtube.com/watch?v=vmNPOjaGrVE

There are a few things that may be the culprit. At the end of the day, if you're balanced over your midfoot, do soft tissue and mobility work to alleviate any mechanical tightness, and work on your cues (abductors, external rotators at the hip) you'll be in a good spot.

Sauce

What the fuck was that nigger thinking? 'lets load up 700lbs on the Smith machine and squat? It's a machine, which means it's safe, right?'

>Also, be very careful your knees stay behind your toes.
Don't ever give advice on lifting to anyone again. That is a complete myth and is not important at all you fucking mongoloid.

Just to jump in here, I'm squatting 55kg (not much I know, but working with Stronglifts 5x5) and my knees are making some quite bad clicking when I squat. I've changed up ATG to just beneath parallel and pushing the knees out and it still happens. I was having a pain in my lower back but it's gone thanks to knees pushing out. Any advice? And are trainers ok for squatting? Only have slippers, trainers or like converse atm, can't afford lifting shoes. Thanks.

I suggest pause squats at parallel
I also suggest stretching your hips (search on youtube) and ankles to be able to sit back more if that's a problem

Most likely knees caving in.

>doing squats
enjoy your knee surgery at 28

You knee slide in your quat bro. That's probably why you're in pain

It's a meme to some but the Rippletits low bar squat technique described in SS (butt out, more horizontal back angle than you'd think) feels great to me. I am a DYEL 170# 37 yo and I do 295# for 5 reps with no pain.

Use the converse all stars for squatting if you can't afford lifting shoes.

Are you bouncing at the bottom?

keep on doing them to you visit a magically wonderful place known simply as Snap City.

squatting is a meme. unless you're about to compete in a power based athletic competition resting a massive amount of weight on your spine and lowering it to pressurize your knees might not be the most intelligent activity. if your whole goal is to look their are various exercises to build quads and glutes.

To be fair he would get beheaded if he did that with a barbell