When you're working out, what's the acceptable amount of pain you should stop at?

When you're working out, what's the acceptable amount of pain you should stop at?

Like, it's easy enough to just ignore the pain and keep going indefinitely.
But pain is your body's sensor for when something is wrong.
So I feel like ignoring it could end causing permanent damage.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pZgxkE-2QAw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Like, it's easy enough to just ignore the pain and keep going indefinitely.

No. It's not.
In most cases you'll know immediately when you've pushed yourself past your limits. The pain from snapping your spine or tearing a muscle in half are completely different than the pain you get from exerting your muscles.

Pretty sure I just responded to some b8

If you're getting pain you're doing it wrong.

The question you should be asking is, am I getting better at the lifter, stronger at the lift, more explosive with lift?

The whole pain shit is a meme, aside from specific type of training methods, like training to get a burn for releasing tons of mitochondria into the muscle, which has been found to assist in the growth of muscle. (Check out some of Dr Mike Israetel's work on that)

I guess it depends on what kind of pain are you feeling. Are you talking about muscle soreness in certain amount of reps? Joint pain after workout? Do you mean to the exhaustation training to failure?

>snapping your spine or tearing a muscle in half are completely different
No shit. But that's not the point. Because you can work your muscles indefinitely without snapping them.
And snapping your spine would make it impossible for you to move, that's not even a matter of pain.

Why do you assume this is only about lifting?

>Are you talking about muscle soreness in certain amount of reps?
This one.

You're a fucking idiot

Mad you asked a stupid question?

Pains to not ignore
1.Joint pains. Stop whatever you are doing, immediately end the fucking workout and go ice that shit.
2.Ligament pains. See above
3.Pains in the organs and head pain. stop whatever you are doing and go see a doctor or nurse if you're working out at a gym that has the good sense to have one on staff.
4.Muscle pain is okay up to a point

Muscle pain types come in three main flavors
Doms from the previous workout, you can work through it but it will just make the DOMS last longer. A basic workout just to get the blood flowing will help the healing process

Muscle fullness to the point that it kind of hurts. It's pleasurable and can feel great. But don't go overboard.

Lactic acid build up? That burning sensation? You can continue to go beyond that point but it will lead to major consequences in terms of recovery. Do not listen to geared up morons and fucktards who've only just started working out who screams no pain no gain stop being a pussy I can do it etc etc. They former gets their recovery and will power from a bottle and the latter thinks their 20 rep 50lb bench means they're all beast mode and have no idea about recovery and it's importance.
However it is good to go beyond the point of lactic acid build up induced pain. There are many benefits. But tt really depends on your recovery capacity more then anything and doing too much will see you hitting the wall and hitting it hard.

Muscle pain that makes it feel as if the muscle is puling apart? You're into muscle damage territory. Like muscle ripping from bone or ripping in half land.
Stop. Don't go that far.
It's not pleasent at fucking all.

What?

Okay, this is clear and concise.
Thank you for answering what I wanted to know and clearing it up.

Yup, you clearly are.

There's a big difference between 'something is not right here' pain and general fatigue, muscle ache, DOMS etc.

I stopped doing dips because I was getting a 'something not right pain' in my shoulders. It probably would be fine for years, but it didn't feel right and I know it would catch up to me eventually. Lift for the long term, if you need to stop something or quit a lift and re-evaluate or learn to do it better because something feels off or you get pain then do it, the time you waste (not really wasted) doing that will be much less than if you get to 40 and you can't do half the shit you want anymore because your rotator cuff is fucked.

if you can't differentiate between muscle fatigue and chronic pain then you have a condition.

>Like, it's easy enough to just ignore the pain and keep going indefinitely.
no it's not, it is damn right hard.

>When you're working out, what's the acceptable amount of pain you should stop at?
Any. Unless you are a pro athlete, there is no excuse to risking your health.

>No shit. But that's not the point. Because you can work your muscles indefinitely without snapping them.
No, you can't.
youtu.be/pZgxkE-2QAw
Pay special attention at 3:26, to the guy doing progressive overload curling a 5b dumbbell.

>everyone who tears a bicep while deadlifting uses mixed grip
Really makes you think...

That's not because of indefinite work, it's because he's doing something the human body can't take.

You're never going to snap your muscles doing an indefinite amount of push ups.

Why does everyone on Veeky Forums default to thinking that others must be talking about lifting?

>why does a forum primarily about weightlifting expect questions related to weightlifting
get a trip so I can filter you, fagtard

Are you slow?

>Veeky Forums - Fitness
I don't see lifting anywhere on there.

>calls other people "tards" when he basing everything he says on assumptions
Are you smart enough to understand what irony is?

No, but you clearly are.