Hi Veeky Forums

Hi Veeky Forums,

I am new to weightlifting, only second time in the gym today. I am 5'11 and 170lbs. I am tired of having noodle arms and chicken legs so I am going to do something about it.

I been researching and hopefully threw together a decent workout routine/schedule for starting out.

What do you guy think of this routine I put together? Is there something I should change? Is there something I should add? Would appreciate feedback.

Doing a 4 day split
upper
lower
off
upper
lower
off
off

------------------------------------------
Upper Body Workout
------------------------------------------

Move 1: Bench press, 3 sets of 10 reps

Move 2: Lat pull-down, 3 sets of 10 reps

Move 3: Overhead press, 3 sets of 10 reps

Move 4: Triceps extension (Rope), 3 sets of 10-12 reps

Move 5: Biceps curl, 3 sets of 10 reps

Move 6: Seated Overhead Dumbbell Press 3 sets 8-12 reps

--------------------------------------------
Lower Body Workout
--------------------------------------------

Move 1: Barbell Squat, 4 sets of 5 reps

Move 2: Dumbbell Lunges, 4 sets 12 reps each leg

Move 3: Leg Press, 3 sets 14 reps

Move 4: Lying Leg Curls, 3 sets, 12 reps

Move 5: Leg Extensions, 3 sets 20 reps

Move 6: Seated Calf Raises, 4 sets, 20 reps

I'd say do lower first, since everyone and their mother does upper on mondays.
Don't do seated press, do it standing. Also it's good to do a back workout before you bench.

Put pull ups and chin ups in there somewhere...
Any fatso can lift a bar, not everyone can do 20 pull ups.

34 sets of legs, 2 pressing exercises for shoulder twice a week. Pretty shitty program. Stick to what other people have made when you lack the knowledge to make a program yourself.

Keep in mind this is a routine for me starting out. I'm not trying to look like Rich Piana in a month.

Change the 2nd shoulder press to a horizontal cable row

Do you not see what I wrote? Your volume for lower is way too high. You will not be able to recover for that much leg work twice a week, it's too much.

You have way too many front shoulder pressing movements, twice a week, which will impede on your other pressing movements. Good look trying to increase your bench when your shoulders are constantly overtrained.

Here is an example of how you could do upper body:

HEAVY = low rep
LIGHT = high rep

Workout A:

Bench Press, HEAVY
Barbell rows, HEAVY
Dumbbell shoulder press, LIGHT
lateral raises (mid delt), LIGHT
bent over raises (rear delt) LIGHT
Skullcrushers LIGHT
Biceps curl LIGHT

Workout B:

OHP HEAVY
Pull-ups/pulldown LIGHT
Incline dumbbell Bench Press LIGHT
Lateral raises LIGHT
Bent over raises LIGHT
Triceps pushdown LIGHT
Dumbbell curl LIGHT

Don't do the program I wrote down in a hurry back of the top of my head, but look at how it's set up and then you'll understand more about how workout program should be put together. I would recommend to find an already tried and tested routine put together for beginners.

This is correct.
If you're looking for hypertrophy swap bench with chest fly. Better contraction -> better hypertrophy

>starting with a bro split

DO STARTING STRENGTH

SQUATS AND OATS

I would recommend deciding what muscles/group you most want to improve first and focusing on those until you acclimate yourself and become more comfortable with exercising routines.

As a first timer with no gym/exercise experience you'll just hurt yourself if you're trying to hit all your muscle groups from the get go.

I would recommend building up strong forearm/bicep/triceps strength in the beginning. This way as you move towards other muscle groups like shoulders/traps/chest/lats/etc you won't wear out as quickly.
My experience has been that a regardless of what upper workout you do, your biceps/triceps/forearms are always going to be engaged to some extent since they're the ones that will be gripping/holding/controlling your lifts and pulls.

It doesn't have to be a long time. Just give yourself ~a week or two at the start just focusing on these and that will be enough to give yourself a nice base for your upper body workouts.

DON'T FORGET: SS+GOMAD

I'd actually recommend just doing full body 3 days a week. As a new lifter you can work the muscle groups that often.

Do one week intensity then one week volume alternating.

3x8's on intensity, 3x15 on volume.

Lat pulldowns, Flat Bench Dumbbell, Dumbbell Rows, Deadlift, Squat, Russian Twists, Dumbbell Curls, Overhead Press, Pec Fly, Reverse Fly.

I recommend using dumbbells over barbells whenever possible when you're first starting because they incorporate your stabilizer muscles much better. You'll have to do lower weight and errors in form/asymmetries will be WAY more noticeable.

Do this on a cut until you're at about 10% bodyfat and then I'd look into another program.

Doesn't matter unless it's some meme shit like ops. Sticking to a program is more important.

No idea why not more people are telling you this, but don't "throw together" a routine. Choose one. SS or Stronglifts or whatever, just don't just cobble together a few meme exercises by yourself and hope that'll work

>only second time in the gym today
lurk moar, and don't waste our time with your stupid questions weakling. You're most likely some fatass or skelly that won't even hit the 3 month mark. Until then get lost.

post body angry skeleton

hello i am a little skeleton, been doing an SS variation for like 2-3 months, what you think

xAxBxAx
xBxAxBx

Sets x Reps

A
Bench press 3x5-7
calf raise 3x10
assisted pullup 3x5-7
diddly: either 3x5 or 1x5 heavy depending on how i feel
bb curl 3x10

B
ohp 3x5-7
squat 3x5-7
dip 3x5-7
bent over row 3x5-7
db hammer curl 3x10

also do 2 sets of leg lifts and sit ups and 1 plank after every workout, aiming for ab faggot twink mode

thx 4 feedback

falling for the SS meme

Don't put a program together yourself. Get a free time-tested good program based on compound barbell exercises. Something like Starting strength is good, but don't follow their moronic diet recommendation and drink a gallon of milk a day. There are other good programs too like stronglifts 5x5 but I think most people don't need that much volume that's why I rather recommend starting strength which has you squat and bench 3x5.

>new to lifting
>making your own routine
Lurk moar

There's a difference between falling for the SS meme and seeing that SS has all the elements of a good time-tested program for a beginner:
-full body workout 3 times a week
-based on compound barbell exercises
-good amount of volume
-linear progression

The only bad things about SS are
-the recommendation to overeat like a fat idiot
-it is a cult, but that's irrelevant, because you can do the program without joining the cult

Also there's no need to do low bar hip drive squat if you don't want to.

Lats pull downs are garbage, sorry. Do pull ups to failure til you can do a single one. Reverse curls will speed that up too.

Do rack pulls + rows/t-bar for fast back gains.