ATG squats

>ATG squats

The only true squat? Or meme?

Before you start obsessing over form and depth you need to ask yourself why you are training the squat, and go from there.

I don’t go ATG because I lose that tension in the muscles, so I’ll only drop a little below parallel

to build my muscles.

1 way ticket to snap city

It depends, ATG squats are a lot nicer to look at imo, but you'll do lower weight with them than low bar squats

I go ATG and don't lose tension

Might be a difference in stance

For what purpose?

This is the most intelligent thing I have read on this Laotian landmine discussion board all year.

>you gotta put the Why before the How.

Do you just divebomb your squats?

Thanks,

I have my rare moments of lucidity.

what the fuck does that even mean?

Basically what your goal is. Do you want to become stronger, build more muscle, build endurance, etc.

Unless you are training the clean and snatch, you have no reason to go ATG.

I dont see how this would change.

ATG is superior to parallel

functional fitness / aesthetic / strength building / sport specific necessity (long jump/high jump)

if size, you probably want ATG.

If you want to move maximum weight you have to reduce your rom. Going to parallel for powerlifting, quarter squat if you want to tell your mom you squat 500lbs, and maybe sometimes for sports.

If you are reducing ROM for sport specific strength purposes, make sure to also do full range ATG squats to maintain flexibility.

Can't think of a reason to not go ATG, anything less is LITERALLY not a true squat.. I mean from an anatomical standpoint the end-position of a squat is near the floor. Oly lifting squats are the standard

dont be an idiot

you training for aesthetics, casual strength, or to compete?

power lifting squats are the standard, very, very few people have the flexibility of an Olympian, hence why they are Olympians

i don’t think so but I’ll reevaluate Wednesday

but if you just want to build size there's other and arguably easier exercises you can do to achieve that

2 months of oly lifting and I can ATG, you actually hgave to be physically pathetic to be unable to do a pure deep squat..
I'm honestly not seeing the barrier here, anatomically any person should be able to do it, save for like 6'6 level long legs. GO look how children squat and it's ATG effortlessly, it's something you can do from childhood..

if you cant do a proper olympic squat you need to work on your flexibility/mobitily

My parallel squat is basically ATG. So I started out ass to grass squatting 1 plate then my friends said I was going too low and was able to hit 3 plate for 5 only going down to knee.

>My parallel squat is basically ATG
weak bait try harder next time

ITT people with shit mobility argue with people who have shit form

So if my lower back rounds when I go atg I'm doing it wrong?

Pic related

You probably don't have the hip mobility to support it. It can round into a neutral spine so it's easier to say a range of flexion may be appropriate. That range being small and if you don't know you can, you can't.

Mobility.

i love my ATG squats
the flexibility took some time, but now my thighs are great
6'2" long limbs seems like a curse, but if you keep at it fellow lanklets your limbs become pipes

Rounded lumbar often is the result of knees travelling inward. Make a conscious effort to keep your knees in line with your big toes as you squat. If you can't do this you probably just have low hip flexibility. Stretch 'em out, buddy.

What flexibility training did you do, specifically? I'm 6'3 and could use some fuckin help, I can't squat ATG for the life of me, but not for lack of trying.

The insides of my knees already hurt sometimes after parallel squats. I think I'd destroy them if I did atg. Just look at that fucking picture. So much goddamn stress on the knees. Don't think it's for me unless I kept my feet very narrow....

Not original user but my advice:

Foam roll your hips to all hell.

Do monkey fuckers until your hips feel loose, Then foam roll again.

Also do a warrior stance (basically a lunge but putting weight on rear leg, and pulse into your back leg)

foam rolling is good but i am 6'2 and had awful depth and pain, this is how i fixed it

>foam roll legs/hips/glutes
>wear olympic shoes with a raised heel
>sit in a toddler squat for 1 or ideally 2 minutes immediately before your squat

i went from squatting with pain and above parallel to pain free and ass to grass with long femurs

children have different proportions than adults retard

i agree that anyone should be able to ATG easily though

I've done all except foam roll, does it really make that big of a difference?

Yes, learn the pancake and pike stretches. It'll fix that all up.

i'm not a kid anymore. haven't squatted since school and now i've been working a desk job for over 10 years. add that up and you can see why i can't squat atg

Maybe because your head is a massive proportion of your bodyweight in childhood and doesn't grow much while the rest of your body does. Meaning as you grow you lose the massive weight counterbalancing your squat, especially if you're tall. Seriously, are you actually retarded or what?

Well that sounds like a you problem, doesn't it?

Until you get more flexible you'll just have to settle for half squats

It helps with myofascial release so yes.
But as said. Do toddler squats. They help

I try to find excuses to just sit in a deep squat when I'm just chilling at home. Helps with the hip mobility. After the hips are used to it then just work on straightening back.

Just get oly shoes If you can't go atg

Less damaging so lets you build more muscle and strength with less chance of injury. Also youll be able to feel if you have mobility problems, or if you have an unkown injury that you wont feel on a back squat.

i'm the guy you replied to
i never did any foam rolling - just practice good form, even if it means you have to go down in weight for a while. do a dynamic warm-up before every workout for 5-10 minutes. start doing front squats. at some other point in the day, practice touching your toes while keeping your knees straight, and practice doing that russian гoпник stance (a.k.a. holding a toddle sqaut, don't worry about form here, let your back round - it's for ankle flexibility).
weightlifting shoes are nice and helpful, but not necessary. i wear them now, but didn't for years.