Physical Conditioning General

How the hell did boxers, MMA fighters, sprinters, marathon runners, swimmers and so on (people that can withstand very high aerobic demands) actually get there?

I've been lifting for years, have an aesthetic body and can't run for shit. I'm very easily out of breath when doing any physical effort, to the point that even sex feels hard for me (some seconds of pounding gets me out of breath and make me go limp).

The answer to my question is obviously "do cardio", but that's why I'm asking you guys for help. I obviously can't start training like the pros of the activities I cited, I would not stand it and it would be inneffective, like if a total newbie did a pro bodybuilding heavy routine.

Throughout the years I've tried many times starting beginner aerobic routines but I can never fucking progress - I can never swim more efficiently, I can never fucking ever bring my 5k time down (which is horrible), I can never ever build some conditioning. I even tried MMA classes one time but I simply cannot keep up, I almost pass out with just the warming up, and I tried keeping at it for a while and it never got better. Yet if I adjust my lifting routine and diet I can bulk or cut properly!

What the fuck do I do to improve my physical conditioning? Fuck being out of breath, please help a brother out

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/N94bms4-52w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

c25k

Stop smoking or just stop being a pussy

wim hof

Cardio 2-3 times a week for 25 minutes. You're allowed to walk when you get tired.

I don't smoke and I don't see how I could be acting like a pussy, I'm trying to improve

There is nowhere around here I could expose myself to very cold temperatures, unless I buy a very large plastic container and some buckets of ice everyday, which would be quite costly

While I did try some random programs I never actually tried c25k, will do. Maybe some slower progression at the beggning helps?

That's basically what I usually do, I "run" 5k two to three times a week, trying to do it the fastest I can. I can never do it in less than 30 minutes, and I've kept at it for months already.

run atleast 3 times a week keep the pace easy (this means slower htan you think walk when necessary) add 1k a week until you can run 15k somewhat comftable congrats you now have something like an aerobic base now add 1-2 speed session a week (intervalls or fast over and underdistance runs) your 5k time will improve dramatically

Years of cardio training.
Why do you expect to get endurance from weight lifting?

Years of work doing
> circuit training
> running long distances
> running intervals
> doing heavy bags
> doing even more heavy bags
> selling soul to Satan so he can respec your points from INT into END, by retroactively changing your race to black
> doing EPO
>DOING EVEN MORE HEAVYBAGS, JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
> MARATHON EVERY DAY SQUARED HEADED DIESEL DESTROING MACHINE, FAST TWITCH MUSCLE FIBERS, RUNNING IN THE MORNING *Mike Tyson voice* "i run in the morning before my opponent doeth it, it giveth me extra confidenth, gibs me extra strengf"
That's how pros got to where they are now.

The great Mr. Kamogawa says that road work is the most important thing for a boxer

I started Joel Jamieson free 4 week program thus far i have noticed a difference.

Devote an equal amount of time to cardio as you do to weightlifting. I was in your position 11 months ago, now I'm running a marathon in October.

Its not cardio, its conditioning which is muscle your maximal strength with aerobic strength simultaneously.

See: circuit training

>Its not cardio, its conditioning which is muscle your maximal strength with aerobic strength simultaneously.

what would german volume training do for conditioning?

been doing muay thai for 7 months, so here is my 2cents.

you should always push yourself beyond what you did last time. that means running extra 50min, sprinting 30 sec extra, doing the circuit in a shorter time, etc.
in martial arts a great motivator is that you stopped getting hit so much once you conditioning is good. if you just stand there you gonna get tagged.

Also, running is mandatory. calisthenics (burpees, pushups, jump squats, etc) are a good way to go.

anyway, you will start to see some real progress in 3 months. by that mark I had the need, my body was telling me, I shouldn't be drinking and smoking anymore. stopped binge drinking and smoking in june 3rd. best decision ever, training became a lot easier.

tl dr: stop drinking and smoking, always push yourself beyond what you can take.

Well if you want to become an athlete you need
>strength
>power
>cardio (high and low intensity)
>body mastery
You probably have strength, and alright power, but you've neglected the rest. You're a slow uncoordinated buffoon. But it's not too late to change.
Lift 2x pw. Do sprints or intense jump rope 2x pw. Do long cycles 2x pw. And ideally do a sport. That'll cover all your bases.

On a different note, it's debatable whether fighting is a low or high intense cardio sport. Conventional wisdom says it's a marathon not a sprint, hence the roadwork tradition in boxing, but recently there's been a much greater emphasis on treating a bout like a series of very short sprints, and emphasising recovery between them. So say I throw a combination against my man and back off again. The combination was a short period of high intensity, and now I need to be able to recover before I attack again, or he attacks me and I have to defend, see? So probably emphasise sprints over long distance stuff.

Thank you all, guys. Got real good tips here and I'm gonna apply them.

Well, GVT is supersetting two exercise which hit antagonistic muscle groups and doing high volume on those, so you maximise gains. It's pretty effective for that. If you, wanna do something similar, but with more emphasis on conditioning, here are some tips.
youtu.be/N94bms4-52w
I don't think you are gonna like this very much tho.

>GVT is supersetting two exercise which hit antagonistic muscle groups

no its not

but for the question about conditioning it doesn't change the question much

Take a cardio bunny class or two. Work those into your rest days. 25 to 45minute classes that focus on band resistance training, kicking a bag or constant stretching will help out with cardio in other aspects.

genetics. steroids

High intensity variable state cardio is different from low intensity steady state cardio, although they can complement each other. Train both to increase your threshold and endurance. Look into circuit training as user mentioned above, as well as interval training and metabolic conditioning to build your stamina threshold. To build your endurance you'll need to do long slow distancen running, cycling, swimming, etc. Keep in mind that different types of activities will demand different adaptations. Just because someone is a good marathon runner doesn't mean that they will automatically be great in the boxing ring for example. The former is mostly linear and repitive in movement while the latter is mostly nonlinear and nonrepitive. The ability to maintain speed for extended periods of time doesn't transfer completely to your ability maintain power for shorter periods. This is why boxers do things like intensive padwork for force and roadwork for resilience in the ring.

>I don't see how I could be acting like a pussy
By not going hard if it kills you.

Also forgot to mention that a simple jump rope is a really versatile tool for developing cardio. You can cycle between high intensity intensity intervals and steady state, plus all the different maneuvers you can do can add to the challenge. It's not popular among the combat sports for nothing

>come here to laugh at op to make myself feel better about my dyel status
>op says he can run 5k in 30 mins
>im not even sure i can run 5k and for short distances after doing 2k in under 10 mins i had to sit and sweat for 15 minutes before being able to walk again
Day ruined desu

>road work is the most important thing
recently started running... am i gonna make it?

Honestly, just torrent some of Shaun T's videos. I use the Insanity Fasta nd Furious, it's only 20 minutes and you go at whatever pace you can. At first I would get so tired I'd be lying on the ground wheezing and like couldn't even think but now I can handle the shit and run around

Also, just join a boxing gym and take beginner lessons, it's not like they have beginners doing 4000x burpees in a row

Just running a set distance each time isn't probably very productive or motivating. Try to spice it up a bit and set yourself some challenges.
I currently have this very nice hilly forest track near my house. On non-lifting days I attack it HIIT style for one hour: sprint uphill, walk downhill, run steady pace on even ground. Each time I try to squeeze in just a little bit more distance.

Drill, drill, drill the techniques.

Then drill so more.