I'm thinking of buying a punching bag, but I don't know anything about punching bags

I'm thinking of buying a punching bag, but I don't know anything about punching bags.
I kinda want something like pic related, because I want something that I can punch and kick around, something I can train my martial arts on.

Does anyone know anything about punching bags? My friends has one where you can take the inner stuffing out to make it lighter or heavier and I thought that was pretty cool. Is there a difference between wall mounted ones or free standing ones?

Ask Chris brown

the free standing ones are more like toys for children, you should get a wall mounted one (i attached it to my chin up bar) since it swings a lot the real best option are the ones that are also chained to the ground to prevent that, but i can see that it might be an annoying thing to put at home, buy a heavy one to reduce the swing
never heard or seen those you talk about to play with stuffing

how much did yours cost?

something like 60-70euros, but it was a cheap one
one like your pic would be a bit more expensive, maybe 120, but surely higher quality

You should take some boxing lessions first, so you don't ruin your wrists and fingers. Proper technique, proper wrapping of the hand etc.

When looking for a filling, you want old, shredded cloth and not sand btw.

this is also true, both things
friend filled it with sand and was as hard as a rock

I know how to punch, I've been doing karate for years.
Thanks for the advice about wrapping the hands though, I will look into that.

>karate

Bait aside, knowing how to punch and knowing how to punch a bag are very different things.

>Know how to punch
>Karate

What I should have said is that we use a punching bag at our dojo and I've been taught how to punch the bag properly. Also I'm not planning on using it solely for punching, we train a variety of strikes and kicks on our dojo one, and I want to train them all on the one I'm gonna get.
It's just that the one at my dojo is kinda old and shitty, so I wanna get my own

I could probably beat you up, I can say with confidence.

Get a thai bag if you want to kick, or a wavemaster style that allows you to fill the bottom with concrete.

Regular boxing bags aren't designed for it.

dont listen to those faggots, anyway yeah do the wraps and start slow, it's pretty easy to injure your wrist when beginning
especially dont try to make it swing and hit it full power when it's coming back at you just for that little ego boost you get from the stronger impact, the risk of break is decent (source: seen many injured skelly novices)
when it's swinging big, stop it back to standard position and start over again, or stop it with mae geri
if you already have practiced with them go normal, otherwise you might use gloves and shin protectors at the very very beginning
heard about water filled ones and sounds cool but never tried one

Thank you, based anons

>Thanks for the advice about wrapping the hands though, I will look into that.
You also need proper gloves for the bag.

Note that boxing is a lot less punching bag than people believe. Mitts, shadow boxing, sparring, cardio etc. are all a big part of it. Too much punching bag is bad for your hands, even if done with proper technique, wraps and gloves.

It should weigh half your weight.

There are bags you can get that don't require gloves, right?
I have some basic mittens which I use for kumite sparring, but they are just cotton with a bit of padding.

Also like I said above, I want to practice tettsui strike, uraken, all the kicks as well.

Thank you for the advice

[spoiler] also i do enough shadow boxing during class lmao [/spoiler]

There's probably not a bag made of strong enough material to take even an untrained adult's strikes that won't eventually rip up your hands/shins/etc

Really nice leather bags will take longer to do it, but they'll still do it

Just get a gf

I'm trying.

jej

if you train low kicks as well remember to buy a bag long enough to allow all hits from knee height to head heigh
also it depends more on the strenght you use if you can do it without gloves, i sometimes dont even use wrap but i never follow through, just light impact to train for keeping form at higher speed

>karate