So what's wrong with 5x5s?

So what's wrong with 5x5s?

Nothing
They just aren't always the most efficient/effective way to train, but if you like doing them then do them.

7x7 master race reporting in

9x9 here

Get on my level

then what is? I'm just trying to lose like, idk, some amount of weight and get like, idk, some amount of muscle.

Also I'm 6 foot 215 pounds but nobody believes me that I'm 215 pounds. I don't look fat or built. When I was in jail I told this 210 pound HUGE dude I was 215 and he said "then your legs must be strong"

literally nothing, people who are too stupid to realize they need to move on from 5x5 after a few months are the only ones propagating this SS/SL is shit meme

Nothing is wrong with doing five sets of five reps.

The problem is if that's all you do. Training in higher and more diverse rep ranges is better for hypertrophy. Training lower reps is better for strength. 5x5 is a balanced approach, but if you just stay in 5x5, you will flatline. You are also not optimizing strength gains, nor hypertrophy gains.

That said, doing a 5x5 for 3-6 months isn't bad, and can certainly help a bodybuilder increase intensity to accelerate gains. But staying with 5x5 for two long means diminishing returns.

I think the bigger problem is people think progressive overload is only adding more weight to the bar. Progressive overload can also mean adding reps, sets, and correcting mind-muscle connection, maximizing range of motion so that the tension stays on the muscle, lengthening TUT with different temps, and shortening rest periods. Also a problem is people only focus on progressive overload, when eccentric overload is another means of getting gains, along with isometric holds and "burning out/repping out", which is called myofibular or something IIRC.

So I walked into a bar with a personal pizza so that I could eat it while watching my friends band perform. Some girl came by and asked if she could have the last slice and I asked her what I get for it. She offered a hug and a smile. I told her no and she got pissed off and told me to go fuck myself. All in all, i do 5x3

neat

>5x5s

I thought you meant 5 sets of 5 second isometric holds...I did that for iron cross progressions. But if you meant 5 sets of 5 reps with iron, yeah there are better ways to train.

4x5 master race

kek

It's retarded

It's bad for hypertrophy

It's sub-par for strength. If you can do 5x5, then you could do 3x5 or 5x3 with more weight.

>inb4 hurr durr 5x5 really means 3x5, but with 2x5 warmup sets xDDDD

>5 sets of 5 second isometric holds

i am so confused as to how you came to this conclusion

very nice overview, cheers

5x5s. The s at the end of the...

God damnit. Just fuck my shit up.

So you recommend fewer sets of higher weight instead of 5 sets?

I don't want that pizza, I want that grill.

thats right show those cookie cutters who's boss

5x5 is pure proof that all you need is 3x a week 5x5. There's a reason why people's quads get so big on these programs

2x4 reporting for duty

10x10 or death

that way you can make as many pizzas as you want yourself. smart thinking, user

this. 5x5 programs are for novices. after a few months you progress to something more advanced or you end up in dino-mode

Plank you don't lift

The fuck out of here

i been doing 4x6 is that ok

>pizza
We starve ourselves hard while STACY eats PIZZA

what would you recommend for an 18 BMI skeleton? I can just barely progress on 5x5, my muscles just give out

Literally less volume

5x8