/plg/ - powerlifting general

You keep your shoulder back on pushups?

I agree with you on CGBP, I felt like that was the truth. I think I've forgotten how to retract my scapula and I ain't too sure why.

Any advice on relearning scapula retraction??

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2KDXVro4OvE
youtube.com/watch?v=UnGWNdjqtdE&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Do I have diabetes? My cum smells like cotton candy.
I have no intention of tasting it so I am not sure it it tastes sweet.

I could perhaps post it in a container if any of you lads want to try and let me know?

Okay I tasted it anyway

It tasted salty. Is that bad?

Send that shit my way senpai

You're a doctor right?

Yes, I'll toss your load in my ass erectometer and tell you the exact composition

>eyeslee bought a Veeky Forums pass and doesn't even post here anymore

I almost feel bad.

He posts here.
So does trappy still

that's good cause trappy makes me happy :)

When running project momentum, does "X down sets" mean you pick a weight where on the last down set you hit the same RPE as the top set, or does it mean you progressively lower the weight each down set while maintaining RPE?

>millionaire
>can't afford a big enough monitor to screenshot the ingredients in a visible resolution

Shiggy

>thinking I screenshotted that image

I simply saved someone elses image

What's your honest opinion on poor piana? I wasn't a die hard fan, but I am definitely heart broken.

is being a piana fan and being sad for his death a new meme of Veeky Forums ?

he needed to die

We all do eventually, but how do you feel that he died so young? Traffic honestly.

no I mean he needed to die then and there

I don't follow? Do you think he was needed by some higher power? You never striker me as someone religious tBh

No I mean he was clearly falling apart and dying in front of our eyes, physically and mentally for quite some time

compare and contrast the stark difference between then youtube.com/watch?v=2KDXVro4OvE and now

It was time for him to get KTFO especially in light of all the recent events with the drugs and nigger rants etc, his time was due, the reaper came and collected his shit

That's actually a very intelligent comment and I completely see your point.

What strikes me, after reviewing that video, is that he looks 25, however when I watched his bigger by the day series, he looked aged.
What concerns me even more, is I'm beginning to look like he did near his death.

lol

I am in love with a trip here but I'm afraid they'll be circumcised

Why are the gzcl programs discussed so little? They look really fun. The only downside is that they are not so easy to understand.

Can you even recover from the volume? What would be a good way to boost work capacity so I can do Jacked&tan 2.0 over the winter without killing myself?

Way I understand it - (repeats) you keep the same weight on the bar as your prescribed RPE set until sets are done unless you hit @10 then you stop whatever set you hit @10 on.

Load drop, you drop the weight with the intention of maintaining the RPE at what it's been prescribed at. That may not necessarily mean dropping the weight every set.

eg x4@8, plus 3 down sets (load drop) could be;
100kgx4 @8
95kg x4 @8, [email protected]
90kg x4@8

Because the first 95kg set was @8 your next set may still be @8 so you need to try it again to see where it's at, because it's very unlikely you're gonna hit it once @8 then have it immediately jump to @10 or something. Once you've been using RPE for a while and you've developed the skill, you'll get a feel for judging how the next set will probably go from the bar speed, RPE etc of your sets.

Make sense?

I already know how RPE works with fatigue %s. I want to know if it's not that. With repeats you repeat the same weight until your RPE increases by 1 when the program says 5% fatigue. With load drop you drop the weight by 5% and repeat until you hit original RPE. With rep drop you repeat until you drop the reps by 1 or 2 at the same RPE. But the program doesn't say any of those things. It does however include a lot of down sets that are programmed pretty much as "drop the weight by 20% and do 3x8" or something similar.

It's very monkey see monkey do around here, and none of the monkeys have seen GZCL yet. That's why Rippetoe shit still gets advised still, because it's just a constant feedback loop of 'Do SS and eat more'.

>The only downside is that they are not so easy to understand

This is a massive aspect too, it requires a bit of thinking instead of just listening to the monkey already doing it.

The one I'm looking at currently specifies load drop or repeats for the down sets.

Ah I didn't see that somehow. Cheers.

Do you have any experience with them? Or have a sound standing on the method? It seems intuitively intruiging. And since I tend to get depressed during the winter, a demanding program is usually a good idea.

I'm used to 3/week full body workouts, so 4 days is a stretch, but should be manageable. I tried 5/3/1 for a few month and hated it. Jacked and Tan looks like a non-shitty 5/3/1 version but the volume is insane... How would you get accustomed to it?

Should I be adding 5 lbs every week on nuckols 3x int bench? Sometimes I just can't handle the AMAP @ 80% with enough reps, it can get fucking difficult

Actually it's because of the 1x/week frequency on the main lifts. We've all seen GZCL, one of the programs in the sticky is based on it and everyone's read 5/3/1 which is fairly similar.

>can hit the required reps every time
>sometimes it's hard
>should I stop progressing because it's hard?

Are you serious or am I interpreting what you said wrong?

I can hit the required reps on every day 1 and 2 except sometimes w3d1.

When it comes to the AMAP sets on day 3, I sometimes get fewer reps than are required for an increase, meaning that I can't increase my max by 5 lbs. I'd say I can increase maybe once every 2 weeks on average. I've never got enough reps to be able to increase by 10 lbs.

5/3/1 is really low volume and really only becomes a program with joker and FSL sets. At this point you could just call it: Do whatever you feel like with a compound movement. GZCL usually has a demanding and thought-through expectation of sets and reps and is brutally high volume. They are not alike at all. Plus, ist gets more specific towards the later microcycles. You can just choose the main movements as t2-movements, too. Which would have you at 2*/week frequency.

I get that it is not overly specific for Powerlifting and if your only aim is increasing your 1RM (which is assumable since we are on /plg/) there might be better programs. But /plg/ has become the only non-retarded strength-training-place on Veeky Forums.

If I want to add size, boost my work capacity and get stronger in different rep ranges with a fun program: It's good, right?

I've not ran them, I've been programming for myself for years, but it's easy to see the principles behind it once you understand them.

> How would you get accustomed to it?
Run an intro block where you drop the total reps by 15-25%. So say 6x5 is 30 total reps - drop 20ish% reps = 24/25 reps either 6x4 or 5x5.

What you need to do is play around with things and don't be afraid to get things wrong.

That's approximately what I had in mind. Start with the first mesocycle and only one t2 and two t3 movements to get used to it, and then restart the program with two t2 and two to three t3 movements and run it through this time. Sounds about right? Would you still reduce the reps?

proof

How detrimental is a little grip work at the end of every session if I lift in a ULxUL format?

Thinking of just trying one arm hangs for like 3 sets of amrap, probably only like 5-10s right now but I'll just keep doing amrap until a minute.

There's plenty of lifts that are one-step variations from the comp lifts in there. So long as you're hitting comp lifts once a week and the rest is close variation you're fine.

This all depends on lifter goals, if you're wanting to be the most competitive powerlifter ever then you'll probably need more targeted specificity, but for a guy that just likes to lift, might compete for fun one day, coming off something basic like SS or 5/3/1 it's absolutely fine.

That should work. Honestly it might require some trial and error or it might work fine just jumping in feet first at the deep end, all depends on how you handle the volume/frequency. So going with that will give you a good starting point to assess.

I just enjoy getting main lift practice in.

Thanks for your help! Since I'm working like 50 h/week I have to see how much volume I can handle, but that's trial and error - as you said.

I'll create a more specific plan including movement selection for the different tiers and might post it here sometimes the next days. Are you a regular trip here? I've been coming to /plg/ since at least a year regularly and haven't seen you around. Do you usually post with a different name?

how does one program a whole macrocycle?

By programming meso- and microcycles. Increase intensity and decrease volume towards the end.

so one just puts together some various programs (mesocycle) together that seem interesting to run together , and combine them into a macrocycle?

if you 'fail' w3d1 , shouldnt you keep the same max next week as well?

No. But it really doesn't matter if you don't compete.

Is more volume always better? I ask because I have found two routines I like the look of, GZCLP and Nsuns531LP.

The upper body volume in nsuns looks good but there are a lot of squat reps, like 50 in a day of 60-95% intensity.

GZCL is just 5x3 at probably like 85% at its main squat day.

Is 15 sets of higher intensity better than 50 reps of varying? I'm not sure what to do, I like squatting with lower reps like that but there's less volume.

Yes and no. The answer is to figure out what works for you.

15 reps* woops

In my experience, squats don't need that much volume. Upper body lifts however, do.

Try harder, it's easy as fuck. 80% should always be at least 10 reps on amraps

So if you can recover from both, which is better on paper? I always see more volume=better but I don't know how that works when the sets are varying intensity.

I tried both and there's not much difference between it really. I prefer 5x3 instead of 9 sets just mentally and heavier squat work feels like it actually does something but the downside I guess is that progression would be based off of completing every set whereas the nsuns progression is just based on a single 1+ set near the start.

Yeah the upper body volume at the moment is very nice but I don't really feel the benefit with more submax squat volume but maybe I'm stupid and don't notice. Feels best heavier when I actually have to actively try to keep good positions. Might just do lower body programming like gzcl and nsuns upper.

Whichever you respond beter to.

GZCLP
Day 1 5x3
Day 2 3x10

nSuns
Day 1 5/3/1+/3/3/3/5/5/5
% 75/85/95/90/85/80/75/70/65

Day 2 5/3/3/5/7/4/6/8
% 50/60/70/70/70/70/70/70

This is what's given for squat for each. Is there a way to evaluate overall work or something because even though there's more sets, there's only few 'hard' sets?

Just finished a Sheiko program, did all the assistance and nothing more
It's shit

>t. 300 wilks

I did the under 80kg with sub 300 wilks and put 30kg on my squat without finishing the last 3 weeks.

>sub 300 wilks
Oh so you just did linear progression, but for some reason decided to do sheiko with it. :thinking:

I'm not the guy who said it was shit and this was a while ago but yes and it was fun and I improved my technique dramatically.

so I implemented RPE with TM today. Just did VD basicly

so first set was @6.5 i kept going until @9, i remembered that there should be a time limit I was trynig to get 7% fatigue so i guess it said 25-30min but I did it under 17min

I basicly ended up doing 6 sets of 5 with 3 min rest it was pretty challenging normally i rest 5-10min. This is my first time implementing RPE with anything so im excited to see if this will work, I was stalling on TM until some guy here said implement RPE and then I read on the subject it made a lot of sense

>normally i rest 5-10min
Why is everyone here such a gde

Everyone that does TM is fat.

oh makes sense retards would chose retarded programming

>5-10 minutes rest

are you having an asthma attack in between sets or something?

you dont improve work capacity if you wait til youre completely fresh

its because i talk to some people around me in the gym and 5-10min go by everytime

no bully pls why is TM retarded

TM is the go to program for people who are afraid of doing work. If you're fresh from resting you should be able to do 5x5 @ 75% with like 3 minute rests, maybe 5 if you're unfit. It's like doing sets of 3 with 80%, your first set is literally RPE 6.

anybody give shot to this kizen training stuff?

well I basicly did that and ended up doing 6 sets of 5

i just wasnt used to the restnig time but it was doable. I probally should be timing my rest from now on. I hope this RPE stuff works with TM i really need some progress man

focusing on your training would be a huge help to progress

ive got dynamic effort today which is
8x2 SSB pause squat
10x1 deficit deads
5x5 suspended GM
2x20 Bent Row

it will take me 40-50 minutes like it always does, my entire session is less than your rest periods

Just switch program. Why would you keep grinding the same program out?

do you use like a stopwatch to gauge time or do you flatout just guess and go by feel

2-3 sets per song, average song is 3-4 minutes, i havent had a session last longer than an hour in months, even max effort sessions which is 4x1 above 90%

honestly because i like the simplicity

what else do you suggest I do? My squats are really what suck

C6w

I just go with how I feel but most of the time it's no longer than 2-3 mins. I just get bored when I rest for long times and I feel like I'm wasting time at the gym.

wasnt that program a meme or somethnig? or did I get memed by that it is a meme

If it says x5@8 plus 3 down sets (repeat) That means you keep the same weight on the bar and do 3 more sets. He explains this in a few of his youtube videos. The "RTScoachingcalls" channel.

It's bad for bench good for squats

>i rest 5-10min
It takes me less than 10 minute from the minute I walk into the gym until I have 400 pounds on the bar for squat, 300 for bench, and 500 for deadlift

Your conditioning must be terrible

C6W for squats, something else 2x week for dl for 6 weeks
Texas 2x for bench/ohp/row

ok thanks if i dont progress on next ID ill guess ill hop over to c6w

what do for deadlifts then?

>texas for bench
Probably not. Also C6w is fine for dl.

What does try harder actually mean? What am I supposed to do better,?

No, maxes are changed only on day 3

if you don't know then you're not trying hard enough

Trying harder is a skill like grit

It means you're putting in a consistent effort to reach your goals

Most guys try to convince himself they're trying hard, but then they pussy out on adding weight to the bar or they skimp on their sleep or they program hop

Guess I'll try it, I hope I don't go backwards. Not sure if it would work well for bench or not, as much as I like nsuns bench, there is no regulation built in so I just keep grinding bench instead of 5x3>6x2>10x1. Might just hop to gzcl completely.

who here /gde/ mentally and physically?

>tfw training so hard im basicly always overtrained
im too tough for my own good i guess its like being a gde in some way

tell us about your max and than we decide

inb4 overtrained at 160kg squat

no i squat 100kg

haha ok raffy

Could anyone have a look at my squat, again? (Yes I am the guy in the "virgin squat" webm kek)
youtube.com/watch?v=UnGWNdjqtdE&feature=youtu.be
Based on the feedback I got I decided to go with a low bar position, focused on breaking at the knees and hips at the same time and not doing the weird "tucking" thing. I can't go lower than this without buttwink.

4 inches above parallel .

Where do you think the mobility problem lies? Im stretching my calves + using a foam roller currently

It's just an inch or two high, but it's already looking a lot better.

>Im stretching my calves
xdddddddd this is a joke right?

listen up goofball the more you lean forward the greater amount of buttwink you will get period

lowbar is the worst if buttwink is your issue

A lot better. Let your butt wink and then try to fix it after desu. You're still leaning forward at the bottom, ditch the damn plates, they're not doing you any good. You're losing balance if you go all the way down like that with those plates under your heels.