Dental Hygiene

Why do we brush twice per day? Especially if the idea is to brush before bed and when you wake up. What did I eat while I was sleeping that needs to be cleaned?

I've been brushing and flossing before bed and using mouthwash when I wake up. I think that is sufficient. What do you think?

>brush teeth before bed
>wake up and teeth look like i haven't brushed in days

Brushing n flossing is important to disturb the biofilm on your teeth, if you leave it you get advanced plaque species that cause gum disease and cavities
Reason you brush last thing at night is because when you're asleep your salivary flow rate drops and saliva is very important in neutralising the acid produced by bacteria (which causes cavities)
First thing in the morning is important too, again to disrupt the bacteria in your dry crusty ass mouth that will have been thriving while you been asleep
Also fluoride in toothpaste is important as this helps remineralise the enamel

T. Dental student

What do you think of Weston Price's findings?

Am I supposed to rinse my teeth after brushing/mouth wash?

This is very helpful. I never thought of brushing that way. Thank you.

Does mouthwash accomplish any of those things?

dont know a lot about this guy desu seems he did a lot of research some of which has been refuted, got anything specific??

general oral health instruction we give patients:

brush teeth first thing in the morning and last thing at night, if youre gonna brush teeth after a meal you need to wait at least 30 minutes otherwise you risk damaging the enamel (enamel is weaker after you eat food due to the acid produced by bacteria)

never use mouthwash straight after brushing your teeth, it defeats one of the purposes of brushing, i.e. saturating your teeth with fluoride to remineralise the enamel. using mouthwash straight after washes fluoride away

after brushing teeth spit and don't rinse, rinsing removes the fluoride as above

What do you think about water flossers?

dont know a lot about these either, doesnt seem to be very widespread here in the UK.

There's some evidence base for them, some studies seem to support the use of them but there's nothing comparing waterflossing to regular flossing or interdental brushes, and a few studies seem to be funded by Waterpik and other waterflossing companies

probably good but more evidence needed to confirm imo

>the virgin brush
>uses only a thin layer of toothpaste
>uses an expensive Oral-B brush with blue indicator bristles
>keeps the tap off while brushing
>brushes by himself in bathroom at home
>brush for exactly two minutes
>brushes side-to-side only
>rinses only once

THE CHAD SCRUB
>doesn't even use toothpaste, still produces foam from saliva alone
>uses two massive wooden brushes at same time
>lets the tap run for maximum hydration during scrubbage
>brushes multiple times per day, even while in public, even while in mid-conversation
>brushes can last up to an hour
>uses circular and up and down brushing motions
>rinses with an entire gallon of water

weston price is fucking trash pseudoscience.

How come no other mammals brush their teeth, but have perfectly straight white teeth?

I will tell you
>humans eat too much sugar, go keto
>humans often have their mouths open during the day to talk, and at night when they sleep. Learn to keep your mouth shut, see Mike Mew

Much of dentistry is quackery like chiropractics. I've never had a cavity, but I've always eaten low-sugar, only brush my teeth like every 3 days, teeth are so white that people ask me how I bleached them, even though I'm natty.

>muh keto

Fat people preaching what is health to fit people, fucking classic.

lol i agree with you there about high sugar diet being prime cause of cavities compared to other animals, getting cavities has nothing to do with whether you keep your mouth open or not though

also its not just the content of your diet, its the frequency during the day, see pic related

i'd be interested to hear which parts of dentistry you believe are quackery though

>getting cavities has nothing to do with whether you keep your mouth open or not though
It does though. Your saliva naturally cleans your teeth. The more your mouth is closed, the more saliva you produce, and the more it stays on your teeth. The more you open your mouth, the dryer your mouth gets, robbing you of the saliva.

Your mouth, with a correct natural diet and proper mouth posture (closed with tongue on roof) is a self-cleaning system. Also, when you drink, don't let the water run over your teeth, get the water to bypass your mouth as much as possible and get the water in the back of your throat. Think about how a dog uses its tongue to scoop it all the way back. Water on the teeth dilutes the potency of your saliva.

kind of true, but for the purposes of the general population, having your mouth closed all the time will not counter the problems caused by the sugar in a typical person's diet

also despite whether your mouth is closed or not, during sleep the salivary flow rate virtually drops to zero

>What did I eat while I was sleeping that needs to be cleaned?
People do this to get rid of disgusting morning breath you basement dweller. Go brush your teeth faggot it takes 3 minutes tops

i bet your breath smells like shit and you don't even know it.

>saliva drops to zero when you sleep
I used to sleep with my mouth open. I would wake up with a sopping wet pillow, a huge puddle like the size of my face.

Nope. I do chew Falim flavorless gum after meals, which helps get the meat smell off.

Pls post pic of your godly teeth

>never used to brush my teeth in the morning before i go to the gym
>one day a trainer takes me aside and tells me my bad breath is bothering other people

literally the most embarassing thing that's ever happened to me. apparently i breathe with my mouth open at night so my breath smells like morbid obesity anus farts. and the preworkout scoops and black coffee probably don't help either.

Get off Veeky Forums Matt, you don't even lift

>also its not just the content of your diet, its the frequency during the day
What do you mean? I'm too dumb to understand that graph.

Cavities are caused when the pH in your mouth is lower than 5.5, when the acidic condition demineralises the enamel, from the graph we see it takes a certain amount of time after the sucrose wash (food/carbs) for it to return to a neutral pH

The longer your mouth is is under this critical pH the more likely decay is going to progress

If you ate 30 sugary sweets in the morning and nothing else all day, your mouth would only be acidic for a short period in the morning and would be stable for the rest of the day. However if you ate one of these sweets every half an hour the whole day you would be constantly supplying bacteria with a food source and your mouth would stay acidic constantly

minimising the amount of time your mouth is at a low pH, either by eating no sugar (not gonna happen for most people) or by reducing the frequency you eat during the day, will reduce cavities

Do this by not snacking/drinking sugary drinks between meals, and if you are gonna eat sweets and drink soda etc. You wanna keep it as close as possible to breakfast/lunch/dinner times

can we all agree that feeling of your teeth being smooth as hell after brushing feels really good