What? Why?

DRINK MORE MILK

stop lifting weights

Stop eating

start doing LTE youtube.com/watch?v=-rh3MHnRI_I

Make me, fatboy

Rip is not against curls

stop eating

Honestly curls just feel like a waste of time to me. Why curl 50lbs and only for my biceps when I can do weighted chin-ups with 50lbs and hit both my biceps and back?

curl 50lbs, thats the problem, curl more

why can't you do both faggot? ever thought of that

this fucking charlatan is literally adding lats to his triceps excercise. he has no basic understanding of anatomy. how the fuck do people even take this fat sack of shit seriously?

Because instead of doing both I can cut out curls and spend the extra time to do twice as many chin-ups.

i think this comment on the video sums it up pretty well:

All due respect to Rippetoe, but engaging your lats in this exercise will not benefit your triceps. Just because the muscle is attatched in two places does not mean you want to engage it from both ends. Mark Rippetoe is failing to consider the concept of ACTIVE INSUFFICIENCY.

People, please do a simple google search. Active insufficiency occurs when you try to do what Mark is doing in this demonstration. You will sacrifice range of motion in the triceps. You will not be able to reach full shoulder extension AND full elbow extension simultaneously.

Try to bend your knee and extend your hips at the same time, its not easy to do. Because anatomically its not meant to do this.
Not to mention, in regards to tricep training, why do you want to build momentum with your lats when you want the tension on the triceps. Going behind the head is fine, but "unlocking" your shoulders for the purpose of extending it with the weight is involving a muscle that will diminish the effect on your targeted muscle as well as fail to benefit that secondary muscle. This is a meaningless and unnecessary variation of this exercise.

Rather, you should want to have your arm not perpendicular to the floor, but raised slightly back. This will maximize tension at lockout by simply using gravity, and without putting the long head of the tricep into active insufficiency.

>tl;dr
this guy has no idea what he's talking about. but he looks and talks like the father these neckbeards never had so they eat it up.

hhhwwaat? hhhhhwwhyy?

You're a literal retard.

So you are supposed to keep your elbows steady for maximum stress on the tris, right? That's how I've always done them but now Rip has me confused.

Stop blocking the weights because you need to do your curls, but can't be bothered to take 3 steps in any direction.

Rippetoe is a decent coach and author but he's pretty ignorant in many ways. If you want to grow your triceps, Rippetoe's way makes no sense; do it like the bodybuilders do it, with your elbows steady.

Fuck off faggot

you are correct, elbows should remain in place. moving the elbows means activating lats, not tris.

> doing curls when you could be doing underhand supinated chin-ups and tearing up your lats at the same time

He doesn't believe in isolation and wants you to use as much muscle mass in every exercise as possible

Well, he is right on that one. One of the only things he is right on desu. Curls are at best good for assistance/afterburn after your main work was done for the day. Same with any isolation, really. Maybe if you are like rich and blast fucking everything invented on the planet in the recorded history and beyond, you can just sit and the muscles will grow anyway and all you need is to pump them up with blood occasionally so they get some nutrients going by doing shit like feeder workouts and going for 8 hour arm workouts with curls and skullcrushers. Maybe.

>If you want to grow your triceps
why would anyone think rip is trying to teach you how to grow your triceps like bodybuilders

then what the fuck are you training your triceps for.

to aid the bench press you moron. All you idiots are missing the point. its a movement to support BP not to isolate triceps.

kek

fuck you, big triceps are ~AESTHETIC~