/mat/- Martial Arts Thread

What do you guys practice or interested in getting into?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L1WR9tA1j-o
centralcoastjudo.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Currently doing BJJ and Karate
If I had time I'd get back to ninjitsu as well

>If I had time I'd get back to ninjitsu as well

Tai chi is the biggest fucking meme

It's fun man. Give it a try. What's the worst that could happen, you end up liking it?

have trained in:
karate
kickboxing
wrestling

about to start training in:
brazilian jiu jitsu
boxing

Did Hapkido before and it was crazy learning all kinds of joint locks. Only a handful are useful. Was great to learn how to kick.

It would be cool to try

"But what would the internet think?!"

Just a reminder: If you want to do a martial art for fun or fitness, do whatever you want. But if you want to actually learn how to fight, there are only a number of sanctioned Martial Arts:

Grappling: Wrestling, Judo, BJJ, Sambo

Striking: Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, certain schools of Karate, and certain schools of TDK

That's it. Most of everything else is a joke. Anything that teaches you flips or jumping spinning back kicks is a complete meme. Finally, stay away from anything that teaches you about Chi or the like. That's a great way of getting the Chi kicked out of you.

Good luck.

Sambo is the only thing I really want to learn. A real good well rounded martial art.

Trained karate for 3 years. I'm doing Muay Thai now and I highly recommend it over any other striking art

Unless you actually live in Eastern Europe, I'd suggest something else. It's very hard to find legit gyms outside of Eastern Europe.

Capoeira kicks have been used to some success in MMA when mixed amongst other techniques. But yeah this list is basically /thread.

That's not to say that you shouldn't learn multiple from both if you want to be competitive in MMA. Gone are the days where you can be a good wrestler that can throw hands. Look at Rashad Evans. Don't jump around a ton though. Spend a few years establishing a base in something, wrestling or BJJ, simply to establish a solid training mindset. Then add something else while continuing in your first. Some form of striking that incorporates all kinds of strikes. Then go from there.

Set specific goals to keep your training focused. Compete in a tournament within 8 months or have an amateur bout within 12. Something along those lines.

Good luck. Don't get injured. Kys

>Currently doing BJJ and Karate
So you like rolling around on the floor with other men?
>If I had time I'd get back to ninjitsu as well
Fucking Weeaboo.

Muay Thai is unbelievably good. Find a good gym with good reputation and you will be gucci.

Did TaeKwonDo for 7 years. It got me in amazing shape and I had some crazy flexibility, but I would never EVER use it in a real fight

Sambo is so fucking lit, I trained with this guy for a while there's a ton of BJJ applications.
youtube.com/watch?v=L1WR9tA1j-o

I've rolled with great Sambo throwers, elite Judoka, and D1 wrestlers. They all could fuck me up. Training one of those won't make you a killer on the ground, only BJJ will do that. But dedicating years to a takedown art can be the backbone of a very successful competition system. I like to wrestle people down and cook them with a cross face from half guard for a few minutes before I even start thinking about subs.

Boxing.

Nothing makes you feel more like a man.

Wing chun

Sticky hands is fun as fuck.

Fuck ninjitsu, start boxing,

Ever thrown a man for ippon?

I do hema (basket hilt broadsword) and a little bit of karate and boxing

I'll have you know ninjitsu was one of the most fun, weebshit things I've ever done.
On rare occasions we'd have outdoors practices in almost complete dark. Imagine sneaking if people for takedowns innawoods
Man, those were fun days

>be me

>blue belt in BJJ

>boxing

>toe holds/liver shot ftw

>Not beating the sweat of each other in a shitty gym.
Where you a virgin in highschool?

I practice Muay Thai while trying to learn some more "flashy" Tae Kwon Do kicks by myself. I'm very fascinated by Judo.

The hip thows are mostly a lerned skill.
To do them in an actual fight requires lots of sparing and drilling.

Yeah

Nah that's what I do today. It's been almost 10 years since highschool
And yo your question, no. Were you?

judo, it's pretty cheap around here, you can train well into old age, and the stretching.

I'd like to get into Kyokushin karate 2bh

i used to do it for 5 years because my grandpa knew the sensei and its totally worth it its not only how to fight but it also teaches you discipline,principles and how to play mindgames.Some of the best friends ive had were from that club

Bujinkan or independent ?

I'm sorry I don't get it
Bujinkan

want to get into a martial art in a few months but currently don't have a stable schedule, is lifting plus hiit with some steady state thrown in + stretching enough to give me a solid base for when i start? is there anything else i can do in my own time to "get ahead" now?

I'm interested in either wrestling, boxing or judo

Are muay thai camps in thailand legit or just a scam?

I did one in Phuket, was pretty legit, the pros trained in with amatuers pretty regularly too so if you like to get schooled regularly as well its fun

>tfw fell for a Krav Maga meme.
It is actually fun and challenging.

I will also start boxing practice from September, since I cant throw a proper jab to save my life.

Teach me senpai

Currently I've been at bjj for 4 months. It gets better right?

I've only fought working as a bouncer. I've always wanted to get into grappling but my schools have never had them (rural as fuck). Where I live now, they offer BJJ and Judo. Assuming both facilities are good, which is the more aggressive style? From what I know, BJJ is more defensive while Judo is more takedown focused and aggressive, would that be the right interpretation?

My second issue is this is my only Judo facility in the area
centralcoastjudo.com
It doesn't look that promising, but maybe it will be worth checking out.

>It gets better

What don't you like?