Intermittent fasting

>intermittent fasting
Okay, I understand the appeal of gorging yourself full of food during a small window and then starving yourself for the rest, but surely this will tell your body to store more fat, right? I mean, if your body expects to go without food for a period of time it will more readily store energy so its available. I know calories in calories out dictates that you WILL lose weight if you take in less than you expend, but surely body composition, blood sugar levels, energy, etc would be better if you just spaced out your meals equally through the day?
Just trying to apply some logic to what seems to be a manageable binge-eating disorder by another name.

As a physician, I have not found any dangerous effects of IF or beneficial effects of steady oral intake in otherwise healthy adults. There are pros and cons to both.

As an argument in favor of IF, I would suggest that IF mirrors the feast and famine diet that comprised much of human evolutionary biology and that a regular source of food is relatively new for homo sapiens.

A simple argument against of course is that although our bodies have evolved to adapt to times of feast and famine we also live longer than ever before and a diet with steady oral intake has not shown to be detrimental.

Ultimately there are no large randomized phase III studies to compare the two and it is unlikely that there will be anytime soon. Therefore most of our data is retrospective and not truly definitive.

However, as someone who regularly deals with the ill-effects of poor diet and has seen the benefits of IF in patients, family members, and myself, I lean to the opinion that: it likely helps with the mental aspect of a cut with minimal implications for health (in other wise healthy adults).

my biggest argument against the whole "eat more smaller portioned meals throughout the whole day" argument boils down to two main points.

Point the first, repeated insulin spikes shut off the fat cell's ability to release fat into the blood stream for metabolism. By the time it starts pushing out fat it gets stopped in it's tracks by your next "small portioned meal"

Point the second is that smaller portioned meals don't trigger the satiety response as well as, or at all, when compared to regular meals.

Every single person I've ever spoken to on shortened eating windows says that their struggle with hunger is completely eliminated after transitioning to at least a 16:8 window.

As to your question in regards to blood sugar. Barring any wierd disease or malody a person with body fat to spare can fast for weeks, and even months on end even doing a semi-strenuous job or workout routine the entire time and never have low blood sugar.

The liver is perfectly capable of gluconeogensis from the glycerol backbone of cleaved triglycerides or even free protein released from autophagy.

i do interminent fasting, i eat when i wake up, then i dont eat till the night (dinner) then i eat some fruits and go to bed

since i do this i feel way better, im in better shape, have more energy, less bodyfat and my system is healthier in general

the only thing is its hard to gain muscle, but who cared, i feel good at my weight right now

DU

>As a physician

Show your qualifications or fuck off.

>intermittent fasting
>gorging

That's not even what's useful about it IMO. If you're doing IF simply so you can eat a huge fucking meal every day then I wouldn't suggest doing it as you're not learning to control your eating habits and limit yourself properly.

I typically eat 2 decent sized meals and a snack or 2 within a 6-8 hour window. It works for me because I'm never hungry early in the day and it's not hard for me to resist food for several hours.

That being said, I think your theory is pretty much wrong. From everything I've read IF is useful because you're fasting for a long enough time to burn a lot of fat but not long enough for your body to think you're starving or to throw off your metabolism.

Let me reinforce your argument.

I've been overweight all my life and even my best efforts to cut by eating normally with a calorie deficit resulted and very low - but noticeable - weight loss (~5kg in 6 weeks). My body adapted to the low-calorie intake and reduced my TDEE by a sizeable amount. The hunger cravings were intense.

For one week, I've been fasting in a 24h rhythm. First days I was weak since my body had to adapt to the low-carb diet and fasting intervals. Now, with the new diet and fasting intervals, hunger is not a thing anymore. Whenever I eat in the 24h rhythm or a 16:8 / 20:4 time windows, I am not hungry.

In 4 days, I lost 2,2kg and I am feeling good. My lifts have been as strong as before if not slightly stronger.

I wake up, do my thing, eat at 18pm.

Bad breath is a thing now.

DU HAST

HAST

DU HAST MICH

>intermittent fasting

Meme diet for fat people. Ignore all shit like keto and IF and just eat like a normal fit person.

>repeated insulin spikes shut off the fat cell's ability to release fat into the blood stream for metabolism
I'm not OP. I agree on this point.

Nobody is mentioning one important thing: who has the time and also can arrange to make a routine for an organized eating basis?
If you work in an office, such's my case, it could be easy (even though the more-than-usual unscheduled meetings)...but if you work on the street, construction, transportation, IDK something that's gets you physically busy during the day it's not possible.
I've tried IF and it worked for me (I'm not a dumb who makes it last for a week) but IMHO the best thing is having a great breakfast, then something light for lunch and some snacks through the rest of the day (check the calories).

>tl;dr in modern life is hard to achieve a schedule for eating every two hours / create a feasible meal calendar for the day taking calorie intake as premise

Your body constantly needs energy to continue functioning. if you aren't giving it food for that purpose it's just going to get the energy from somewhere else. I lost weight in undergrad doing IF without even really thinking about it, and I'm doing it again after grad school.

The human body is pretty smart. it isn't going to turn everything into fat and cannibalize your muscle if you aren't eating very often.

>I understand the appeal of gorging yourself full of food
>mfw I have a regular meal a day and don't really stuff myself on a single sitting
Did I fucked up?

Keto is a memediet , it's only popular because fat people are usually very dumb and don't understand the concept of water weight .

Only if you dont get enough cal/nutrients. If you're still getting your nutrients every 24 hrs ur body doesn't care

I would prefer to just be anonymous. Do you want a time stamp of my diplomas?

Regardless, I am just giving my learned opinion. You can take it or leave it really.

>water weight
Yeah, all those fatasses losing 130lbs of water weight.

>I would prefer to just be anonymous.
>I'm a doctor
>muh appeal to authority

Then shut the fuck up with your "I'm a doctor" bullshit.

If your arguments can't stand up to scrutiny without your fallacious appeal to authority then your arguments are shit.

I believe ya physbro :-*

t. Pseudoscientist pretending to be physician

If doing 16:8 IF for a cut during a month, how many times per week should I do it? provided that I do weight training in late afternoon (about 5pm) 5 days/week.

Weak counter argument

Pointing out a blatant appeal to authority is not a counter argument you fucking dunce.

Yep, exactly.
This is an anonymous imageboard, so go back to r*ddit.

lmao shut the fuck up you baby

you think someone is going to post their medical license on Veeky Forums?

be happy you're getting info and leave it if you don't feel like you can trust it

Why not just do it the whole month? Eight hours is a pretty big chunk of your day to eat.

I don't want him(you) to post his medical license on a mesopatamian cuneiform tablet forum.

I want him to stop posting this "i'm a doctor bullshit" like it fucking matters. He can post whatever fucking advice he wants so that the advice stands on it's own fucking merits like every other fucking anonymous user's.

The only reason he's posting that he's a doctor is to rest his argument on a position of authority like it fucking matters. He's proclaiming to be a doctor so that anyone who disagrees with him will be "arguing with a doctor" to put them at a supposed disadvantage. Make your claims as an user so the claims can be dealt with on equal fucking footing.