youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

barbell curls

lol weak bitch who can't ohp lmao1plaet detected

deadlifts

They are a meme to normies and only popular in weird online communities

flat BB bench

I used to hate on ohp but lately started to like them. Started doing 5x5 in the beginning of my push workouts (before bench or anything) and I suddenly blasted through my long stalling. As i added more weight i could feel my delts getting worked harder and harder (i could barely feel them before). Since then all i do for delts is ohp and front/lateral raises (alternate) and I'm pretty sure they've gotten bigger in addition to getting a lot stronger. Tldr dont hate, just keep adding weight

Unironically correct, there are much better exercises for delts. The core benefits from OHP are irrelevant if you're doing dls and squats.

I literally only train OHP so that I can lift grills over my head.

Wanna know how I know you're a dyel?

the benefit of overhead press is vertical pressing strength

as far as aesthetics are concerned
is absolutely right, if you want 3D delts you should be doing loads of lateral raises and rear delt accessory work and not another anterior delt focused pressing exercise (minimum adaptive volume for front delts is almost always reached just with horizontal pressing if done with enough volume - i.e not 3x5 bullshit)

>they rather do some dyel bitch faggot exercise

than

BE VISUALLY AWESOME AND PUT HEAVY SHIT OVER YOUR HEAD FOR SAKE OF PUTTING HEAVY SHIT OVER YOUR HEAD

literally betas detected

post your delts

so not only betas but fags also

Im not letting you to jerk off to photo of my delts

Agreed but what to replace it with?

this desu, have to work extra hard as gf is 5'10 and thicc

i stopped doing OHP because i have absolute shit shoulder mobility and just can't have my arms over my head without overextending my back(and yes i squeezed my ass as if Mandingo were behind me). Was pretty close to 1pl8 too

I'm doing a lot of lateral raises, face pulls and landmine pressess till i find a way to increase my shoulder mobility.Really liked the exercise too

because you don't have any, geek

>everyone can squat 200kg but 90% of people can't OHP 60kg
this is what you get when you only train memesquats and not your manlifts.
any male should OHP 75+kg after 6 months.

>trains traps, front delts, serratus anterior, tris
>valued in strongman and oly lifting
>visually impressive
>great for posture and shoulder health
>meme exercise with no real benefits

Hope starting strength is going well OP! Remember to GO-MAD haha d:-)

this is the first time i've ever seen someone actually list what the OHP trains correctly on Veeky Forums

some potato before was claiming it was a great rear delt exercise, it's so piss

>only 75kg

common now you got to lift big in order to be big

Flat and incline DB press

>absolute values

fatty detected

every man should be able to OHP 0.75 x his bw for reps on a decent program after 6 months

>BW multiplier

manlet detected

I wouldnt say that its a "great rear delt exercise", but it surely hit the rear delt.
Thats just an evident fact.

>every strength sport uses weight classes

Haha fucking manlets amirite.

yeah, fucking manlets, exactly

they can't compete in an absolute sense so they have to make divisions where a fully grown adult won't just mop the floor with them, it's pretty sad

OHP variations are the go to weightlifting exercise for throwing athletes though

shotput training and heavy push presses go hand in hand

jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/03/21/benching-for-big-throws/

it's bench and weird meme ballistic variations of bench more than anything

all those shotput freaks have insane bench press numbers

btn jerks are big too.

I'd figure you want all presses to be as big as possible for maximum stability

Is it even possible to have impressive cannonball tier 3D delts when you're natty?

>that post

You've been lifting for less than 6 months, right?

Cannonball? No. But well-shaped aesthetics delts absolutely yes. OHP alone is not enough for them, however.

Partly this

I've seen rapid delt growth, after years of believing I was genetically fucked in that department, by benching thrice a week, doing face pulls and rear delt flye machine and snatch presses behind the neck, all ranging between 1-6 sets of 1-10 reps. My delts are almost my best feature now, besides my lats and quads.

you can have decent delts natty if you have the genetics for it and do your side/rear delt work, but that 3D popping out of the skin in any lighting conditions effect is probably roids-only unless you're a real genetic freak

it's always the starting strength crew patting themselves on the back for being hardcore lifters

squats

Fucking useless and dangerous exercise that will fuck up your knees, your lower back, your neck and your wrists.

Wanna train legs? Do the leg press. Wanna train core stability? Do deadlifts. Wanna do cardio? Then do fucking cardio.

OHP is fun imo.

but ohp is included in SS?

wtf are you talking about

Leg press is way worse for knees than even shitty squats

What if I want to be better at pushing shit up over my head?

>it's always the starting strength crew patting themselves on the back for being hardcore lifters

Which is funny, because the actual hardcore lifters cringe at this shit.

How about weighted handstands instead of OHP?

i try to avoid lifting weights over my head as much as i can. terrible for most of your joints.

unironically better for your joints than bench

OHP fucks my shit up more than bench every has. I've always benched painlessly, and feel that form is easy to maintain.

OHP gives my left shoulder a strange sensation - it feels like my front delt is separating and moving toward my side delt.

I got to lmao1pl8 for 3 and said fuck it in favor of DB pressing

Not that guy but I've never had problems with bench (despite having a 4plate bench), yet I've injured my shoulder doing OHP.

this. You'll fuck up your back eventually going heavy. Everyone does. Completely useless for bodybuilding. If anything, it's actually counter productive considering the fact that you're widening your obliques. You can literally hit every muscle ten times more effectively doing anything other than a deadlift. I wish I never did them.

>several old powerlifters in my gym
>all they can do is meme machines now
>tell me about their surgeries

"You WILL fuck yourself up if you lift heavy for long enough"

Sounds like improper elbow positioning
youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU

ITT:
>compound exercises are useless

So should I quit.

ITT: kids triggered because they have shitty stability

No.

Why won't we say "fuck off" to BB flat benching and do inclines instead? In fact the exercise in which I feel pecs are involved the most are the machine chest flys.

rear loaded barbell squats
Just use leg press it's literally the exact samr but you can lift more weight (building more muscle) and don't have the risk of snapping your shit

When will this meme die

Shrugs

t. traplet

I feel the best pull on my pecs during wide dips. Don't feel jack when do flat bench press.

>muh alpha iron temple
lol

Everything fucks you up in the end. There's a karmalitic trade off for everything in the end. Look and feel good now with weightlifting, fuck yourself over because of it at old age

>I can't imagine any reason for wanting explosive back strength
sure if you're lifting to jerk off to yourself in the mirror deadlits aren't gonna do much for you. If you want to be a serious athlete in any contact sport, guess what you gotta deadlift.

I can put up 455, and you better not let me get your back in wrestling or it's back arch suplex city. I fucked up much bigger guys in football cause my core was reinforced with rebar

Wrong. Being weak is what kills in old age. Being too weak to walk, too weak to stay active. Too weak to fuck. Your dead at that point.

unironically isn't, despite what Rippetoe claims (with absolutely no evidence, mind you)

of course the absolute number of bench injuries will be greater, since almost everyone does bench press while OHP is now mainly done by redditors and Veeky Forums incels

Sure is DYEL in here

ITT:
>bench is bad for you
>OHP is bad for you
>squats are bad for you
>deadlifts are bad for you
>lifting is bad for you

why the fuck are you guys even here?

[Barbell or dumbbell decline, or dips] and [reverse grip or incline barbell or dumbbell press or nether chest shrugs]

>hits the rear delt

It hits the rear delt the same way flat bench does, it helps stabilize the shoulder joint. That's it though.

I might but unfortunately my gyms dumbells only go to 100lb and its shitty. Aslo I don't think there isca huge difference between dumbell bench and barbell

Lol fake detected. Go back to r9k

>angry DYEL: The Thread

you gotta realize that most likely more than half of the posters here don't lift but for some reason give lifting advice

Then you're doing bench wrong.

>Leg press is way worse for knees than even shitty squats
Citation needed.

That's weird because the function of action for the posterior delt is assist in extension and horizontal abduction. The rear delt doesn't preform abduction or flexion.

So fuck You

THE ONLY EXERCISES YOU NEED

1. Run
2. Sit ups
3. Weighted pull ups *includes chin ups

EVERYTHING else is a MEME

you're right, it is weird because extension and horizontal abduction only occur on the eccentric portion of the OHP and as a result the rear delts are used almost negligibly

the OHP is not a rear delt exercise anymore than the bench press is a rear delt exercise

enjoy no traps

Thanks for that video. I knew my wrist position was a bit wonky but the ques he gives are pretty good

that pic

>what did they mean by this

post body

All of them

you dont have to shrug for traps
its better to do fuckton of rows desu

you're probably ohp'ing too much weight because your triceps make up for a lack of shoulder strength

>2. Sit ups
For those killer hip flexors, right babe?

Sounds like she's the one who needs to work out.

>that pic
what the fuck

Why don't you just work on shoulder mobility then...?

The press has a purpose

It weeds out the pussies

or everyone just going for (you)s

This
Can we just ban all these cringelords already?
You are ruining Veeky Forums with your 15 year old mindset, 2 months lifting experience, and cringe worthy posts

You have to be some special kind of retard if you fail to see the importance and benefits of the overhead press. Sad.

Only ones I agree with itt are flat bench and deadlift. Plenty of better chest exercises: floor press, db press, dips, crossovers, etc. Deadlifts replace with rack pulls, (reverse) hyperextensions, pull throughs, rdls, sldls, w/e. Less risk of tweaking something and you'll hit glutes, hams, lower back, traps, forearms just as much.

Diddies are pretty normie at the gym I go to.

Keep in mind my gym is ghetto and isn't full of rich babbymen

>replace deadlift with rack pull
for what purpose? if you're gonna do one you might as well do the other

Cable flies are what work my chest the most. I wish I discovered them awhile ago.

>Cable flies
Stupid useless meme exercise

you'll work forearms, upperback, traps better with rack pulls because you'll be able to lift heavier
hyperextensions or some variant will work the spinal erectors which is what you'll miss out on if you replace dl with just rack pulls

hyperextensions will work the spine like a deadlift? lmao -- what is the purpose of cutting out the deadlift if you're gonna do rack pulls anyway? makes no sense, if you're scared of injury then i can see just not doing either but to do one and then try to replace the other? stupid