What is the right ratio of enjoying life and improving your life?

What is the right ratio of enjoying life and improving your life?

2:8

0:0

Growing up means realizing that you need to appreciate things that offer both enjoyment and improvement.
Growing up means realizing that activities which are enjoyable but offer no improvement are actually harmful, rather than simply "only enjoyable." Video games, by and large, are harmful.
If you aren't learning anything, becoming more physically fit, or socializing with a healthy, uplifting social circle, you're either working (sometimes a necessary evil) or wasting your time and therefore harming yourself.

>2:8
>Not 1:4
Simplify your ratios faggot.

Enjoy the things that improve your life

>Video games are harmful
>Not developing fine motor skills
>Not developing strategy and patience along with you're reaction time
Faggot.

Here's your (You).

But also, how could you argue that work is a necessary evil, but useless hobbies are not, also, a necessary evil?

You talk the talk, but do you really spend 100% of your time doing only things that improve some aspect of what you are? Because I have never, in my entire adult life, met any man capable of doing that.

OPs questioning is right. There must be a balance. It is psychologically impossible to do only useful and uplifting things.

That's like saying you develop powder-snorting skills and bargaining ability from being a drug addict. No video game is going to improve your "strategy" skills in a way that is applicable to anything other than strategy video games, and if you think "patience" is a special skill after age 5, it just shows how out of touch your gamer lifestyle is.
Work makes money, you need money to live. So work, unlike hobbies, is not useless.Without money to sustain your life you won't have a life to improve. Not sure why I'm even answering this as it's obvious as fuck.
And of course I don't spend 100% of my time doing things that improve my life. I'm working to get better. I used to spend maybe 10% of my time improving myself back when I played video games. Now I probably spend 70% of my free time improving myself. The biggest obstacle for me is focus.

Man your life sounds boring and depressing.. Tell me then wise user, how is Veeky Forums a productive use of your time??

Isn't doing anything just wasting time? No matter what it is, activities are just a means of occupying the mind while time passes on

Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums are a good way of articulating my thoughts about things that are somewhat worthy of occupying my mind with. Kind of like how you havd class discussions in college, it's not perfect, but it helps you figure out what you think and see how it might be challenged by others. As well as being exposed to new ideas and works.
I should also have added that having no friends is another obstacle to using my time well, as I'm always having to choose between solitary activities. Ideally I would have a group of smart, upstanding friends that I could shoot the shit with daily a la the Inklings. Unfortunately I have nobody except you guys.

First you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the women.

You do understand that by entertaining yourself with useless hobbies you are also keeping yourself happy, occupied and satisfied? Sometimes useless hobbies end up becoming the exact opposite of uselessness. If what you love doing is useless, it can still be useful by giving you strenght and motivation to keep going.

Also, its the second time you talk about video-games. We should clarify that there is an infinite amount of hobbies other than video-games out there, and you're probably thinking of extensive video-game addiction (playing ~10 hours a day), whereas I'm thinking stress-relieving, fun time (playing ~2 hours or less a day).

I don't know, man. I can read, write, study, work, play, go out, lurk here and hike. All in the same week. Some of the greatest man I've ever read about had shitty vices and useless hobbies that defined them. I see no need to dedicate all (or even most of) my time to improve myself. Improvement comes naturally if you love what you do and know what you're doing.

Don't judge yourself too hard just because Nietzsche told us to.

>not enjoying life by improving it
>not improving your life by enjoying it

Lol fuckers get rekt by modern thinking

>entertaining yourself with useless hobbies
>its the second time you talk about video-games
For most of Veeky Forums video games are going to be the first thing they think of when "useless hobbies" are the topic at hand. Let's face it, most of us aren't stamp collecting or building model railways, but most of us play or have played video games.
If you truly need to do unproductive things to keep going and not fall apart, then you've got other problems, in my view, that go beyond the scope of this talk.
When I played video games I would indeed feel occupied and have a sense of purpose when I was playing them. But it was always a strange feeling when I stopped, like I had just sobered up or come back from a strange dream. The idea was always to get away from the rest of life and get back to games as soon as possible. I don't believe video games are addictive on a physical level but the way most people play games like Overwatch, LoL, CS:Go, etc. are indistinguishable from addict behaviour. I certainly played them that way. If you truly are playing games in moderation then you're an outlier.
>Don't judge yourself too hard just because Nietzsche told us to.
More like Plato and Aristotle. I always espoused Nietzsche during my gamer days, using him as many others did to maintain a surface level superiority that enabled me to write off my own faults as simply the detachment of a practitioner of master morality.

>Wasting your time on roasties
Faggot.

1:1 you should enjoy improving your life and take pride in your work and your self
>l say as l drink and worry about my company going under

This is a tough one.

How2determine if your social circle is healthy and uplifting?

Heed the adage of "You become more like the people you spend time around" for the simple answer. A lot of people have shitty friends that they think they need.

no
3:12

1:4

Improvement by itself is hard but pays off. Enjoyment must be done but never at the cost of your livelihood.

>I should also have added that having no friends is another obstacle to using my time well,
>Ideally I would have a group of smart, upstanding friends that I could shoot the shit with daily a la the Inklings
>Is boring and conceited
Geez, i wonder why you got no real friends

>as I'm always having to choose between solitary activities
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

you can't 'develop' reaction time, it's mostly genetic. but you can slow the rate at which it decays with age by being healthier

This is what some people unironically believe though. Clearly you're not that type of person though, otherwise you wouldn't be wasting your precious time on Veeky Forums.