Fasting

So according to this video youtube.com/channel/UCqYPhGiB9tkShZorfgcL2lA

Benefits of fasting are
>increased HGH production after 2-3 days
>ketosis boosts your mental efficiency
>increased metabolism
>near-minimal muscle loss (if body gets exercise)

However it doesn't touch any negative aspects of prolonged fasting. It can't be all good, right?
Did you ever experience short/long term complications?

I'm planning to do 3-4 days fast(or as long as I can last), with some light exercise and cardio.
What supplements should I take? Seems like mutli-vitamins are an obvious choice, also some sport drinks for extra magnesium and other minerals(given they are calorie free), what about creatine?

Fastfags welcome to share their experiences and advice

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v9Aw0P7GjHE
youtube.com/watch?v=Ntob6Sn06_Q
intensivedietarymanagement.com/obesity-cancer-cancer-1/https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/hyperinsulinemia-cancer-cancer-2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What supplements should I take? Seems like mutli-vitamins are an obvious choice, also some sport drinks for extra magnesium and other minerals(given they are calorie free), what about creatine?

water and salt, faggot.

>Benefits of fasting are...

What Kinds of fasting?

full-on fast for 3-7 days

i just do intermittant fasting

it seems to preserve muscle very well. My mind feels energized until I start eating food. Athletic performance wise its ok but better on food

the health effects are great long term, lots of research done on the subject and fasting once in a while is very healthy. Or like cyclic fasting like I do in total time its basicly the same thing, I prefer to go few hours with no food every day rather than fast for couple of days straight

if youre very overweight might work for you my friend did the 3 days fast frequently he lost weight quickly

>Seems like mutli-vitamins are an obvious choice, also some sport drinks for extra magnesium and other minerals(

bump because I also want to know this

What if I'm only fasting 1 day out of the week? Am I wasting my time if I don't go at least 3 days per fast?

if you want to reach state of ketosis and get that sweet HGH boost you'll need 2-3 days at least.
Unless you on very strict keto diet..

Watch the video friendo, it's full of useful info

Does if allow for cheat days? Will probably break my window at least once this week

>get that sweet HGH boost
dont think its anything big

>Watch the video friendo
will do

almost doubled, good enough for me

what about IF, does it increase it or are we just talking about full on fasting with nothing but water and salt

yeah but its not like you can fast forever

youre gonna eat again for some time and its gonna crash, the net increase over a long period is what matters the most

dont get me wrong not saying dont fast im saying do it frequently

>fasting
>feeling great
>break fast after 3 days
>suddenly feel like a sluggish piece of shit

I'm not even eating shitty food or anything but I feel really lethargic once I start eating again.

this is what the guy of the video said exactly backing my point
>Just in case I should also say that of course you need to balance fasting with eating - You need to survive off of something. I have been doing intermittent fasting the past year (22 hours fasted, 2 hours eating - you can widen it to 16/8, which still provides great benefits) and will fast for a couple days every other month or so. Several other people have recommend a routine like this - Tim Ferriss recommends doing a 3 day fast once per month and a 7 day fast once per year.

a theory i read is that all the blood in your brain goes to your stomach so you start to feel like shit

I've gone on extended fasts... my longest being a week. I've also exercised extensively while fasting... I ran 26 miles in two days without eating anything until the end of the third day...

AMA

>I ran 26 miles in two days without eating anything until the end of the third day...
jeez how did you feel doing that

thats p cool

>start fasting regularly
>family / friends find out
>they treat it as if you're committing some act of self harm

Fine... and when I finally ate again it felt like I was processing everything a lot more efficiently.

relevant to my interests as well

How good is fasting for just cutting after a bulk? I'm no fatty but I'd like to try fasting when I decide to cut. I think it would be an interesting experience that would improve me as a person

IF is the new nofap

Will doing some cardio like HIIT or swimming help me reach fasted state faster?
Also is black coffee accepted to stop the cravings ?

yes, exercise does help to reach ketosis faster and minimise muscle loss.

Coffee is acceptable, given it's has no sugar or cream

any negative effect while fasting? low energy, dizzyness or anything like that..?

Also what supplements would you recommend?

>on day 11
>from 172lb to 156lb

Mostly water weight, but it still feels good to see some definition in my face again. Think I'm going to go for the full 28 days and aim for another 8lb of actually getting easier as time goes on. Even the fast food cravings on a Friday are gone, which was always my biggest weakness on my old diet.

Only thing that has been an issue is light headedness when standing up too quickly, but I read that's an issue with low blood pressure from lack of sodium, so I'm trying to drink a glass of salt water every other day and that seems to be helping.

Honestly easiest diet I've ever been on.

because your body is tapping into your body fat for energy you shouldn't experience low energy or dizzyness unless you're dehydrated or low on electrolytes.

fasting can mess with your shits because you're struggling to get the fibre you need. and also because there's less for you to shit.

how do you plan to eat once you reach your goal weight? keto?

>tfw still buy my weekly food like i'm eating every day but i intermittent fast and do 2 days fasts now and then
>loads of food goes to waste

wouldn't there be lasting harmful effects on your metabolism after a 28 day water fast?

Dehydration can be a major and potentially dangerous problem. Make sure you are supplementing with electrolytes without adding calories, and drinking plenty of water.

youtube.com/watch?v=v9Aw0P7GjHE

Dr. fung is bae

Anyone want to help me trial how bulletproof coffee affects 23/1 fasts? Fung says it should do nothing and it will keep you in ketosis, but I'm wondering about metabolic and digestive processes that may be stopped with having about 1tbsp of butter in your coffee around 8-9am when your feed window is at 5pm usually

ALSO for fags that don't believe in IF or fasting:
>Lose weight
>Autophagy removing both external and internal scarring
>cleaning junk protein out of your brain cells
>cleaning junk protein out of body in general, lowing risk for pathological disease and cancer
>kneecaps cancer risk and growth (even more effective with keto)
(one 5 day fast every 3-4 months will clear out any at risk or precancerous cells in your body)
>Massive spike in HGH while vastly lowering insulin levels and IGF-1 growth factor
(biggest risk factor in cancer)
>reverses type 2 diabetes and makes type 1 less completely awful
>Powerfully strengthens your discipline
>reduces inflammation and join pain
>better sleep

Who else read to get #Fasted

There are pretty much no downsides to prolonged fasting. Creative is fine, it has no calories. If you're going for over a week, buy/make some bone broth and drink a cup of that a day. If you're going for less than a week, doesn't really matter, just drink water and add a pinch of salt a couple times a day. I wouldn't recommend anything high intensity at all, definitely not lifting heavy; you can't build muscle while fasting. No protein input or excess energy (calories) = no muscular gains. I do a light dumbbell/cable routine, just make sure you hit all your muscles a bit so they remain active, and walking. The more you walk, the more fat you burn (because it is the only energy source available to your body), so I'll walk for an hour or two if I have the time. If you're a fat neet, fast for a week, make yourself some zero calorie sports drink (although salt and water is all you really need), and walk for a few hours a day, you'll lose pounds of pure body fat.

Maths behind fasting for fat loss: 1 lb fat = 3500 calories. Basal metabolic rate (varies by person) = 2000 calories. Walking briskly for 1 hour (varies by person) = 250 calories. So if you fast for a week (7 days), you should lose at least 4 lbs of pure body fat, more if your BMR is higher (if you're a guy, it probably is). If you walked for 6 hours a day, that would bump it up to at least 7 lbs, or a pound a day. If you walk for 2 hours a day, you should lose at least 5 lbs a week. Lmao @ people who cut for half the year, they could get the same results in under a month, with less muscle loss.

>IF 22/2 + keto
>Fast from Saturday 8pm to Monday 6pm to get some extra fat burn time
>YHCL, CLA, and some mild thermo supplementation. Tons of coffee.
God mode.

And your energy levels actually begin to rise because the body is being flooded with epinephrine and noepinephrine. It's a survival response. You'll need less sleep, feel more alert, be capable of more exercise... up to a point. The body is trying to put you in a state where you can acquire more energy.

More on IF/Fasting/keto and cancer
in D'agostino's own words "Keto worked better in our trials than over half of the drugs"

youtube.com/watch?v=Ntob6Sn06_Q

having read up on much of fasting it makes me look at regular calorie restricted diets and think 'what's the science behind that'? like, eating below maintenance- how are you losing fat doing that? does your body use up the food you get from your calorie restricted diet then burn body fat to make up the rest? is that ketosis? or does the body cut into lean body mass to make up the energy needs?

all the reading i've done seems to point towards fasting, intermittent fasting and a ketogenic diet being the best route towards weight loss.

Started a 3 day fast today.

Am I getting memed or is this going to actually be beneficial.

Also has anyone here done like a full 3 day fast before?

How do you resist being fucking hungry?

yeah i did it. if you're new to fasting then you'll get hunger pangs around the regular meal times. so at a certain time in the morning, and the afternoon, and the evening. it's easy to ride them out though and 5-10 minutes after your stomach growls they go away. it's not like ravenous 'FEED ME NOW' hunger pangs either, it's just a dull reminder.

Did you keep shitting?
Is a low carb diet for 4-5 days the best way to break the fast?
What a bout the intestines, any drawback?

I'm almost at the end of the first day of my first ever water fast and planning on doing the whole week

*creatine, my bad.

As for why you'd lose less muscle fasting vs on a calorie restricted diet, here we go. Fasting doesn't promote muscle loss. There is no "starvation mode" where your body starts catabolizing muscle, no studies have ever backed that up, your body burns fat for energy before muscle: that's what it's there for. The only time someone would start burning muscle for energy is if they have sub-5% body fat, because some fat is needed for bodily functions. Also important to note, fasting increases your BMR whereas eating at a calorie deficit decreases it. Why? From an evolutionary biology perspective, your body would want to make you more adept at getting food when you have none (increased BMR, maintinence of lean body mass), whereas your body would rather adapt to lower calorie intake (meaning decreased BMR, increased muscle catabolism). This is confirmed through the studies we currently have: eating a reduced calorie diet results in reduced BMR (which also means you feel lethargic, lazy, irritable, foggy, feel cold - anyone who's cut knows that feel) and greater muscle catabolism, whereas fasting results in a greater BMR (more energy, clearer mind, calmer, happier, warmer) and muscle preservation (but not muscular anabolism- you cannot make gains while fasting. Thermodynamically impossible). So instead of cutting for months out of the year, which is really a fools errand and makes losing weight while maintaining muscle much harder than it needs to be, consider cutting by fasting. Personally, I fast once a week (from Friday night until Sunday morning) and also fast for a full week every 3 months. I am able to eat pretty much anything I want and maintain a reasonably cut physique year-round. Gains are easier, maintinence is easier, c'mon brehs.

it makes sense considering cancer cells thrive the best on glucose

you don't.

Yeah, those 3 are the best for weight loss, absolutely killer when used together. A keto diet on IF where you fast every couple weeks, you could lose a 100+ pounds a year without picking up a weight or doing anything beyond a brisk walk.

I understand the reasoning for restricted calorie diets, but the science simply doesn't back it up. The reasoning was calories in < calories out = weight loss. Which makes sense if your body was a static thermodynamic system, but it's not, it's able to self-regulate, to shift homeostasis depending on the circumstances and resources available to it. Over time your body adapts to reduced calorie intake by lowering its BMR, which it does in part by catabolizing muscle. Muscle cells are extremely costly in terms of energy demands, second only to neurons. Your body will never catabolize neurons, but it doesn't care nearly as much about muscle. So it seems counterintuitive to us, but from our body's perspective it makes a whole lot of sense to burn muscle when you have food and keep it when you don't. If you don't need to chase down that deer, why do you still need those big leg muscles? If you're starving, go catch something! That's also why you see strength decreases on an extended cut, it's incredibly hard not to. Everything in your body is screaming tear down the muscle, it uses too much energy, stop lifting weights. It's no wonder people get burned out when cutting or fatties lose willpower when trying to lose weight that way.

You fight it with your will or you distract yourself until the hunger goes away. I think that the mental hunger is worse that the fisical one

I'm not completely new I've done intermittent fasting for prolong periods a few times but I'm definitely feeling those hunger pangs right now, what benefits did you see from doing the fast??

it's like resetting your appetite. couple months back i would be eating at every opportunity. bored? go into the kitchen, grab something to eat. now i only eat at a certain time of the day, just to hit my macros. it's kind of killed the 'joy' of eating for me and it's a functional thing, but my relationship to food was not a good one before i started fasting, this is much more preferrable.

only problem is social eating. if i go out with friends and they eat then i'm expected to eat too. and depending on the place i might not be able to stay keto. so i try to plan ahead.

how is fasting for days any different than anorexia? shouldn't it cause the same side effects? even if you are not mentally ill

Physical, not fisical.
I agree with you, though

not a fair comparison

people who fast do it for a specific reason, mostly health benefits. They can control themselves and fasts usually don't last more than a month(in extreme cases), more likely 4-10 days every few weeks/months. All this while exercising and maintaining a healthy diet after the fast

anorexics can't control themselves, they starve to near death because they are fasting for years and do permanent damage to their bodies

Post a pic of yourself for proof. Sounds pretty interesting

What the fuck is "full-on fast"? Starving yourself? Please do it and remove yourself from the gene pool.

oh shit you're right, it's fisica in italian and I kinda went on autopilot

no retard

people with anorexia still eat just very little wheeras on fasting you go some time with no food and when you break fast you eat loads again

intensivedietarymanagement.com/obesity-cancer-cancer-1/https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/hyperinsulinemia-cancer-cancer-2/

reminder that sugars, carbohydrates, and insulin literally kill you and can give you one of the worst diseases on earty and that IF is the simplest thing you can do to ensure you don't die a horrible death

So If use a keto diet I would only reach ketosis after a week-10 days, but with total fasting I can reach it in just 3?

I might just try it to start a keto diet

No worries, I wasn't trying to be a dick btw, just thought it was worth mentioning

That's some awfully confident wording for someone so ignorant.

So like Bulimia?

I fasted for 17 days and my family had me put in a mental hospital, the female psychiatrists then disgnosed me with schizophrenia for being "antisocial" (unhappy to be in a mental hospital) and anorexic (was still a healthy weight) and tried to put me on psychosis medicine.

Be very careful with who you tell anons, a lot of people are ignorant.

Growth hormone is elevated to prevent hypoglycemia you gullible retarded fuckwits. Also ++adrenaline and +cortisol, starvation is an extremely high-stress situation on the body. I actually laugh at the morons who do this quack shit because one chink cult leader on the internet told them to. It's like pro-ana but for men - "increased metabolism"; who the fuck even thinks that's desirable unless you have a damaged relationship to your body - besides, people with faster relative metabolism die earlier

THICCER

No, you pretty much stop shitting at that point but once you start eating again you start shitting constantly. It's a great rest and reset for your digestive tract and a possible cure to constipation.

I just gorged on whatever when breaking the fast.

I have no idea.

yeah except the not eatnig for prolonged periods of time part

>starve yourself
>make up something like theory of forms

Not suprising.

>starvation is an extremely high-stress situation on the body.
Good thing fasting is only used by fat people with plenty of readily available energy reserves to spare.

lmao you actually think youll die in 4 days of not eating? Read before you post faggot

OP hope you are still here but i just finished my second 24 hour fast so i can tell you some advice.

Dont go for 3-4 days at first. do 18:4 intermittent fasting then 20:40 then full 24 then 36, then 48 etc.

Do a fast on a day where you have stuff to do or are hanging with friends, its easier to not feel hunger pains when you are distracted with tasks. Sitting at home on the couch will cause you to break.

Take a multi on fast days, and make your own bone broth. Take a beef shank (preferable organic) and cook it in water in a stove for 30-45 min. low heat, simmer not full boil. take out meat and throw away, then on fast days drink the broth with an oz of salt added in each cup you drink.

As to benefits, I can attest to some. Im feeling so much energy. I usually go to be at 9pm and wake 5-6ish. with fasting im up at 3:30-4am bursting with energy and a clear focus.

Thats what I got at the moment, will lurk here to answer questions.

exercise doesnt speed up digestion. entering fasted state takes 4 hours though which isnt much anyway.

I'm doing 16/8

pretty fun to just have huge fucking meals, I only get hungry after my first meal

Who here on PSMF?
Protein Sparing Modified Fasting

You are not wasting your time.
Just more benefits the longer you go, benefit to shorter fasts is you can do them more often.

Fasting is actually a way to fix a low metabolism.

getting ketosis is prob about 3 days too, about the time needed for your body to accept there arent carbs coming and will switch to what is available.

>starvation is an extremely high-stress situation on the body
you dont enter starvation until your body depletes all available consumable energy. ie no more fat which is a long time for most. We didnt use to eat every day and we lived a long time and didnt die of starvation.

It's a little slower than alternate day fasting. Do the 8/16 with an extra day in there of total fasting.

> 8 feed / 16 fast
> 24 fast
> 8 feed / 16 fast
> 24 fast

Etc...

how am I gonna bulk on a 250 surplus with a 24h fast?

People with Anorexia feel terrible when they eat.
People who fast for health feel joy when they break the fast.

>new diet promising superhuman powers and no muscle loss
Said every fad diet ever. Wouldn't try it out on the word of this (((doctor))). There's only so many times one can see this formula repeated until you see them for what they are.

You probably look like a crazy person

I was on the fence about it too considering fad diets burned out a couple family members of mine, but after accidentally doing and then using it to lose weight while doing keto for /fat/, I'm a big fan.

I think a lot of people jump on for fat loss but then after reading dr. Fung's work and fatemporer articles they stay on because it's literally the best way to prevent a whole host of diseases and reverse diabetes

I've been having gastro problems (cramps etc) for over a year never occurred to me to just not eat I'm fasting now and I feel so much better already. If you're a big eater you need to give your gastro system a rest every now and again.

The furthest women should be trusted in medicine is nurses.

I'm sorry user.

>no money to be made
>flies directly in the face of what is marketed by (((pharmaceutical companies))), the (((food industry))) and modern (((western medicine)))
>somehow is jewish
hmm...

>video explains that even seeing food can trigger an insulin release and make you hungry
>proceeds to show me shitloads of sugary sweets and ice cream
THANKS ASSHOLE NOW I HAVE TO TRY TO SLEEP WHILE FEELING ABSOLUTELY FUCKING FAMISHED

fasting is easy and effective, old school body builders would use it all the time.

fasting got replaced by other stuff because fasting is hard and no one really wants to do hard stuff.

so if you do keto you live forever or what happens?

>fasting is easy and effective
>fasting got replaced by other stuff because fasting is hard
Wait...

Easy was probably a poor choice of words
"Simple" would be better
Its really not easy for a lot of people

>Plato said it so it has merit

Bad medicine/science

so how do these things not apply when you're taking in 0 calories?

HGH doubles so that you can keep hold of your muscle mass and remain active. It's a response/coping mechanism to the fast not a benefit from it.

I think fasting is great but the growth hormone increase really doesn't have any implications for gains.

I got that when I came out of ketosis.

Before I did ketosis, even on a balanced diet I had a lot of gas, a lot of bloating and my shits were all kinds of hellish.
During ketosis things improved slightly.
After a few months I reintroduced carbs and since then my shits and overall digestion has been amazing.

My experience lends credence to the idea of fasting for a few days every month to re-streamline your digestive system. Get your body to improve at drawing sustenance from your fat stores and then, when you start putting food in it can do a much improved job of breaking it all down.

HOW I BUILD MUSCLE WHILE FASTING I WANNA KNOW JUST THIS ONE THING NO BS U NEED FUCKING PROTEIN TO BUILD MUSCLE IM LEAN AS FUCK ALREADY DONT WANT YOUR SHITTY GIMMICKS BUT I WANT THE HEALTH BENEFITS FFS

>implying 2 days on HGH will make any difference on your body

>fast for 16h and eat over the last 8h
>pin at least 500mg of test a week along with 40-80mg of anavar everyday
>lift fullbody 3 times a week for the first week and then do it 4 times a week (literally doing arms everyday)
>eat at least 250g of protein on the 8h you can eat, at least 200g of carbs and you can zero your fats, your hormone levels are already high as fuck because of the test and anavar.

thats the magic formula to lean mass while cutting lots of fat, i was a skinnyfat low test dyel lifting for two years without results, at 6'0 about 180lbs at 17%bf, after doing that (two months cycle) i got at 193lbs at 10%bf, i literally added 1pl8 to every lift but ohp