finishing BSc in pure math, getting into a phD in the best uni of the country next yr

> finishing BSc in pure math, getting into a phD in the best uni of the country next yr
> need to hide my powerlevel so I don't alienate the Stacys/Chads of the gym
You brainlets have it easy.

Other urls found in this thread:

motls.blogspot.com/2006/03/iq-in-different-fields.html?m=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hey op what's the difference between a math major and a large pizza?

A large pizza can feed a family.

I can eat 2 large dominos pizzas by myself

But m8, teaching is so comfy in math.

> most of my professors teach one or a couple of courses per semester so they have easily > 30h to dedicate to research
> mentor grad students to get them doing the dirty work for you

Also, implying I can't get into finance with a lot less work if I were aiming for $.

OP BTFO

>He thinks a lucrative finance position is going to fall into his lap if he doesn't have connections
Oh dear, at least you're a math major

>tfw Brainlet so I'm doing law
t-top 14 school though haha...

Oh god I don't care if I'm good at writing papers and analyzing shit why can't I do stuff with numbers

> getting a phd in a reputable university in the hardest field possible
> difficulty handling finance models/applied math
Pick one. Also, I don't have interest in finance for now, I would rather do research (i.e. something actually fulfilling and useful)

Also, a lot of pure math has nothing do to with numbers m8, my field specially.

> tfw when don't own a calculator and visit wolframalpha a couple of times a year

Sup fellow math user.
Don't know what people specifically think of when they say finance these days. Even for polymaths at worst it's repetitive and at best you still have to sell your solution which is frankly not a particularly developed skill among logicians, hence why memers like Elon are rare but successful.

Other than the humble brag, it only takes a little finesse to not come across as douchey. Just simple answers until they press more.
>So what do you do?
>I'm in school.
>What/where?
>Doing math at $school.
>Oh, what kind of math?
>Doing my Doctorate in $field
>What are you researching?
and so on, it typically won't get that far unless they're also interested.

You're allowed to flex yourself on occasion, but do it sparingly (e.g., on vacation, at a party you were brought to, etc.). You worked for it so might as well enjoy an ego stroke once in awhile.

Good luck in your pursuits. I'm thinking of doing my grad studies in Computer Science myself since I found it's the best intersection of my skills, interests and perks.

Going into finance from law is not the same as going into finance from math, lad.
My computational physics professor last year got headhunted by a firm he had never heard of offering him $600k per year to move to new york and analyze data for them because he's so good at making simulations. He turned it down because he likes researching space instead.

Y-you too user. I don't think I come as douchey but the conversation usually goes

> I study at x
> Nice, what do you study?
> math
> Oh user, you must be smart and/or crazy to go through such suffering. I've always been terrible at math.

Depending on context and if they seem a bit more interested I usually try to explain that I rarely deal with numbers but more than not I fail miserably.

CS is nice, I've thought about switching too, mostly because the job prospects are more international (as in, easier to get a job during grad in another country).

I'm well aware that it's easier to break into finance with a STEM degree than law, but you're comparing the success of an established professor to someone who doesn't even have a BSc yet. That professor has probably been honing his craft for almost two decades. OP isn't going to get offered a 600k Position anytime soon.

OP here. I never said I would/could get into finance from a BSc, a phd should be enough to prove I'm qualified though. Heck I've a couple of friends which went directly into banking after BSc in engineering - top 1 in the country though - just because they proved they are not retards analytically.

Tbh you can half ass a BSc in pure math quite easily as long as you're not an idiot. Preparing properly for a phd and research during it is a completely different situation but you can't really prove it without a doctorate/publishing papers hence the no jobs for BSc meme.

>that imagine

KEK

Haven't laughed this hard in a while

Thanks user.

>tfw got a degree in computer science because I wanted to work on cool shit
>actually work as a code monkey in L O N D O N
>Make enough money for a nice flat, nice clothes, a gym membership and nice holidays

Who else here /content/?

that's my fucking dream
but noo I have to go the fucking distance and reach for the stars or some shit

I grew up in extreme poverty, sold drugs, worked 12 hours shifts in shitty factories and struggled my entire life.

When I started getting that nice direct deposit every month my life completely steadied out and I felt like every problem I had just disappeared. A massive weight just came off of my shoulders.

It's only hiding your powerlevel if you have a chance to use your abilities but don't, there's no need for math in a gym environment besides counting sets and plates but at least you'll be godly at that

I don't need to worry OP, you see even though I am a brainlet I can always convince myself I just didn't try hard enough, this way I am constantly hiding my powerlevel and assuming I am better than everyone while still having the drive to improve that feelings of inferiority would normally be responsible for.

If you're genuinely passionate about maths while talking about it I think that will shine through

>Oh user you must me smart/crazy to subject yourself to such suffering
>yeah, I think most people feel the same way, idk I just think maths is pretty cool personally

That's the response I always gave when talking about studying maths, usually i'd give a very brief explanation of a "weird" mathematical concept that i thought was super cool, basically if you can phrase maths like it's cool magic numbers stuff and not the soul crushing experience a lot of people suffered in high school people are generally a lot more accepting of it.

>implying anyone outside of your field will ever ask you what you're researching

Are you me? (except i did msc year to do a load of theophysics)

Pure math is nothing more than glorified time wasting sudoku tier puzzle solving for manchildren that are too brainlet to embrace reality. Applied math is where it's at.

Don't begin your sentences with "also" verbal intelligence brainlet.

Highschooler detected.

he used a coma so it's fine.

>implying pure math isnt what the geniuses hand to the applied plebs so can they have fun playing with it

I wasn't implying you were trying to jump to finance from a BSc, I was just trying to show how you still had a long way to go.

1. Pure math these days is like 30% women, it's a joke compared to other quant-heavy subjects.
2. Quant Fin positions don't pay 300k starting, they pay about 150-200k for 60 hour weeks (and this is in the Bay Area, where fucking software engineers make 125k). You only really make the big bucks at MD/Principal levels.
3. Nobody gives a shit about the best university in your country, unless it's actually a top ten university in the world.
4. The guys who actually make insane money (high six/low seven figures after bonuses) don't make that money year in and year out. Rather, they'll make and sell an algorithm to a company like DE Shaw and that'll be the end of it. Just like how lawyers who bill at 1k/hour aren't all making 40k a week.

t. guy with a Stanford graduate engineering degree who now works in PE

Maybe several decades ago for less than 0.001% of what was investigated. It's much more efficient to discover and study relevant structures for the problem at hand instead of consulting cocky socially impaired mathlets whose entire philosophy is shaped around infantile escapism and nowadays that's how it works in eg mathematical physics. Ironically this has reversed the direction.

i look forward to fucking your wife when you are working those 8-10 hour days.

>discover and study relevant structures for the problem
Structures pure mathematicians defined and theorems concerning them proven by pure mathematicians

>mathematical physics
kek, really? Witten does some knot theory and now this is the standard operating procedure? Don't kid yourself

What are upper level maths courses like m8? Like is it more proofs and abstract shit? I'm halfway through ChemE and thinking of switching, tired of this rote shit.

That's a funny way of spelling 'applied' and it's not my fault your education on novel mathematical constructions inspired by applied work ended with a pop math name drop.

>education on novel mathematical constructions inspired by applied work
Give examples of novel mathematical constructions which had their theory fleshed out/developed by an exclusively applied mathematician.

I'm not gonna spoonfeed you just to get reeled into that equivocation bait, pussy baby. There is no need to get mad over the fact of contemporary pure math contributing about as much to reality as contemporary philosophy does to science, i.e. nothing at all. Fucking deal with it.

I'm doing undergrad in computer science with a double-major in electrical engineering so I feel you. But I'm at an engineering college so there's a lot of swole nerds at my gym. There's this shredded old asian guy who comes in sometimes, then last semester I took an EE class and it turns out he was the professor lmao

>I'm not gonna spoonfeed you
>I'm not gonna give examples to refute you
ok
>contemporary pure math
Pure math doesn't yield immediate results you pleb. Applied mathematicians apply it maybe a decade later. If people had taken your advice 100 years ago we wouldn't have the differential geometry for GR, if people had taken your advice 50 years ago we wouldn't have algebraic geometry/topology for quantum theory.

underrated post

>"let's wait and hope for magic to happen" is better than tackling the problem in situ
>terrible examples where the majority of work was done by people motivated by reality or abstracting reality in a time when math and physics weren't even considered separate disciplines aside from durr wizard man
>still mistakenly thinks anyone does pure math today for future applications instead of Hardy-esque circlejerking as an end in itself that's intentionally designed to be as far away from applicability as possible
I'm sure professional sudoku solvers make a lot of money though, right?

Yeah, I always try to mention some theorem which has an immediate physical interpretation. As a topologyfag Brouwer's fixed point theorem in the "coffe version" is nice: no matter how you mix your coffe at all times there is a stationary point in the surface.

True. But I have been asked wtf math studies since "hey we already know how to calculate shit" kek.

Shouldn't you be memorizing some theorem without having any clue when it is applicable/how to prove it?

Not my primary language m8

Fair enough.

Not everyone has the means to go to another country to study. The uni I mentioned is the alma mater of a fields medalist so I'm not worried.

t. wake slave which has no idea how academia works

Basically. Nothing to do with what you find in engineering desu so you should make the switch carefully.

You sound bitter user. Did you fail your phd or something? Yes, if you're in pure you don't care about applications to other subjects, this is essentially the job description. We are still smarter than the average applied retard though.

>lmao2pizzas

Fucking stomachlets

>We are still smarter than the average applied retard though.
motls.blogspot.com/2006/03/iq-in-different-fields.html?m=1

Any mediocre autist can do "pure" math. Intelligent mathematicians figure out how to both discover and apply math in the real world.

>> finishing BSc in pure math, getting into a phD in the best uni of the country next yr
>finishing BSc
>getting into phD next yr
I'm no math major, but something here isn't adding up

>> I study at x
>> Nice, what do you study?
>> math
>> Oh user, you must be smart and/or crazy to go through such suffering. I've always been terrible at math.
Yeah my parents would savagely beat me with a garden hose every time I got a math question wrong, so now I uncontrollably piss myself every time I get an A- grade

Yes, we can see that brainlet. There are people which even skip BSc and go directly for a phD in math.

Tbh I don't even understand the point of your posts anymore. Do you really think pure math is useless? Nothing contemporary about topology and abstract algebra will ever be used by applied math?

Why are you upset with the basis for apllied math user? Would you rather be a purist but you cant because of financial/brainlet reasons? In the end we are doing your dirty work.

> quoting an iq study
Hard kek

>PE
How many more years do you give your field?

>he thinks companies care about a degree and not work experience
laughingirls.jpeg, lad just wait till you are out of (((academia))) you are due up for a slice of humble pie. Have fun tutoring kids at the local community college for the next decade top zozz

if you're do a phd in pure math, chances are you'd just stay in academia