How difficult is it to learn the power clean by yourself? It seems like a lift you would need a coach for

How difficult is it to learn the power clean by yourself? It seems like a lift you would need a coach for

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vHjMHrLt1WA
youtube.com/watch?v=VVGUORtcFn0
youtube.com/watch?v=j7M2wXrqrI8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

I want to learn how to power clean,but I don't want to accidentally smack myself in the face with the bar.

Start with no weight/low weight and go up in increments. Have someone spot you and film yourself to check your form

Alan Thrall has a pretty interesting video he uploaded recently, it's just an uncut recording of him coaching the power clean for someone who's never done it before.

Obviously it's going to be difficult to apply it to yourself but it would be a good resource to check out.

It's not difficult.

1. Read about form
2. Watch videos
3. Practice
4. Record yourself and review
5. Repeat

Cleans are hella fun. Work on mobility during the whole process so you can move on to full cleans and snatches.

they're really not that hard to figure out. just focus on really getting that hip extension and dropping under the bar... think about pulling yourself backwards to pull the bar up.

I accidentally taught myself because I didn't want to
>ohp in the squat rack
Turns out I had pretty much perfect form (since I was only doing it once for less than a plate) and was ready to go when I started actually training it.
It's not hard to learn, it's basically two motions put together, the explosion and the catch. As long as you don't lift with your arms it's a pretty intuitive movement (since your numbers will be garbage and/or you'll fall backwards if you're doing it wrong)

It is easy, just start doing alot of front squats to get a good front rack position. Front rack is key. Also start doing clean pull deadlifts. So you deadlift with maybe 70% of your deadlift max and then at the top do a power shrug pull. like in the second part of that pick. After the shrug pull put the weight back down. Then practice with light weight the entire movement.

Pay attention to who does olympic lifts at your gym and when you start to do the lift ask the olympic lifter if ho could check your form and maybe share some advice.

>barbell is on the floor
>throw it up and catch it on your shoulders
>meatheads actually need a coach to teach them this
fucking retarded brainlets

You just gotta not learn from any crossfit people or American weightlifters.
You gotta get information from either the Russians, Bulgarians, Chinese, or Iranians.

The pic is wrong btw, hips too far high, heels should be closer together with toes pointed out, head shouldn't look up as much (think of it as an explosively standing up, too many people do the middle bit and lose balance because they're hips are in the wrong position. The wrong position is caused by forcing your head in that position), don't actually shrug, the elbows are too close together in the rack, and lack of wrist mobility

Just to start from from the beginning
>heels close together, toes pointed outward
>femur parallel to the ground
This allows you to use your quads for it's intended purpose. It might seem easier just to use a standard deadlift position because many people don't have the quads necessary to stay in this position
>extend your knees and lift the bar up
>stop extending when there's just enough clearance for you to continuously pull the bar towards you - at this point your back angle should be similar to a high bar squat
>once it reaches above the knee, push the knees forward and open up the back angle
>when the bar reaches mid thigh, forcibly extend the hips and knees without over extension
>at the moment of triple extension, your body should be completely vertical
>ideally you should be in mid air for a second, having only jumped an inch (or even less than that)

It'll be more difficult to get trap activation in a powerclean than a normal clean. But just to be explicit. You are supposed to use your traps, but shrugging is counter productive as it stops the barbell just slightly
I can't really describe how to activate your traps, but I can tell you what I mean
>hold the barbell as you normally would
>using your arms, bring it to your belly button
>have your arms near vertical
Do this and hold it, and you'll know what we mean by "Use your traps but don't shrug"

supplemental watching
youtube.com/watch?v=vHjMHrLt1WA
youtube.com/watch?v=VVGUORtcFn0

This

you could get information from max aita tho. he studied under ivan abadjiev so i'm gonna wager that he knows his shit.

I'm just doing Power Cleans (want to increase my sprint speed & explosiveness for rugby)

Should I just follow all the clean queues for power cleans but not squat as far down, or should I just learn to properly clean?

One of the most disappointing things about fitness boards like this one are the number of people who never learn to power clean. Whenever someone posts a routine with power cleans some asshole always chimes in with "or substitute barbell rows"

I never know if it's because people are afraid of hurting themselves, or because they're so insecure that they don't want to be seen in the gym doing a somewhat uncommon movement, or what. Any male with even a base amount of athleticism and coordination can power clean 135 after a few workouts, and probably get 225 after a few months

>"Use your traps but don't shrug"
A little while back, Clarence did a video on some snatch drills for Omar Isuf's channel. He had this one drill that was basically high pulling a snatch to about eye level and holding it for a a second before finishing the movement.
I did that a couple times recently and it immensely cleared up trap involvement in the oly lifts for me. I haven't tried it with the clean grip but I imagine doing something similar with a clean could have the same effect. probably holding the bar in front of the shoulders or maybe chest before finishing in the front rack

i don't get the "substitute power cleans for rows". a clean isn't anything like a row.

Could be that they really don't recognize that a power clean is an explosive hip movement and not a "back" exercise. Or they really just have no interest in developing athleticism or strength and are bodybuilding focused

This, just fucking lol at trying to learn weightlifting by yourself, have fun spending 18 months getting lifts you could get in less than 6 if you just joined a weightlifting club.

Power cleans are pretty easy to figure out on a base level. Getting good at them requires coaching.

i know its not the same, but i do this to start my ohp sets, should i not?

if anything, substitute box jumps

you ain't getting any explosive fucking power or coordination from a row

You can learn that shit by yourself no prob, I always did it before Ohp since I didnt have a rack without knowing its a lift.

just do hang clean

Clean pulls really helped me. I always warm up with a set to get my hips ready for a clean, not a deadlift.
youtube.com/watch?v=j7M2wXrqrI8

Any ideas for trainng the "getting under the bar" part of the movement (the squat part). I think I am not doing it correctly. Otherwise love the power clean, best trap builder for me

You don't squat in a power clean

It just doesn't seem worth the effort.

>hip
stop being american

>How difficult is it to learn the power clean by yourself?

I learned to do it by myself. I started out with the bar and did it gradually. There are probably youtube videos that can show you, I watched the Starting Strength DVD which breaks it up into parts when learning it.

My biggest challenge was mobility, I had problems with the end stage of the exercise. I guess a lot of us who start working out in our thirties have less mobility than teenagers.

Do it with an empty bar and film urself

I've literally never done OHP off of the rack. Since day 1 I've been cleaning the bar, and never needed anybody to show me how to do it.
Seems like you might just be a retard or something.

*SNIIIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF*

Front squats

omarlsuf did a nice video with clarence kennedy on it

post vid of 140kg clean and press