When did you guys realise that deadlifts simply aren't worth the risk?

When did you guys realise that deadlifts simply aren't worth the risk?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XVsXhZ-oCwQ?t=349
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/strength
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pleb

Have fun snapping your back before you hit 40

Deadlifts are also massively overrated for hypertrophy

They are too physically taxing and you are better off using your energy for other exercises

I completely agree. At first glance they appear to be the ultimate lift. Low reps, high weight and uses tons of muscles. But the problem is I could hit those same muscles deadlift uses more frequently while still recovering from deadlift. Then there's the fact that due to the larger amount of weight being used, little mistakes can be less forgiving injury wise. Some people seem to recover faster from deadlift than others and never get hurt doing it but that's atypical. If you can deadlift twice a week and never make mistakes and not have the recovery be a detriment to any of your lifts then more power to you. I'd rather do other lifts than don't leave me feeling wasted for a week at a time.

Deadlifts and Squats are literally the only way to get BIG and STRONG.

Enjoy bench press then? Because you will stay small forever doing chest and shoulders.

>Deadlifts and Squats are literally the only way to get BIG

This is what SS fags actually believe

Deadlifts are not necessary to be big at all.

>there are literally only 3 exercises

Hows your second week of SS/SL going?

I cut out deads and squats and just do trap bar DLs in a kind of squat form for lots of volume and pretty much everything is growing better, now.

I have more energy for upper body focused workouts due to the easier recovery, and my low back never gets in the way of my back work now.

When I didn't have money for weights.

Doing them light might be good tho.

Id never go under 15 reps comfortably per set. 60% max or less. Just for that GH gains.

>literally
you're a hyperbolic faggot who diminishes his opinion by exaggerating

I bet absolutely none of you speaking negative about deadlifts weigh over 200lbs.

>200lbs
>implying an average untrained male can't deadlift 200lbs

lmao

This

Last week, actually

Itt: Sad summerfags that can't even hit a 2 plate diddy

Try not to be so mad at your moms all the time kiddos :/

See
But sub in 225lbs for 200.

No.

I bet you think a 3pl8 pull makes you a big boy :)

My nigga.

I wish I could do this but my gym doesn't have a trap bar. I guess I could try that thing people always use for shrugs. I hope that's specific enough that people know what I mean.

Around the time I realised I was a cuck and started watching my wife get BLACKED, my wife's son still does deadlifts tho

A machine lever deadlift is awesome for deadlifting.

I love it how you fucking faggots try to make it seem like a 3pl8 diddy is so fucking common. I have literally never seen anyone deadlift anything over 225 let alone deadlift at all. Yet, every faggot and his mother on this board will tell you they hit 4 plate within the first month. Top fucking kek

Because you go to a shit gym

Even the fucking curlbros at my can hit 4 plate and the powerlifters are at around 300kg

>basic hip hinge exercise that has been usrf for athletes and recreational lifters alike for a century is not worth the risk
Right, everyone else is wrong and you're right. Thanks for the insight, user.

could you be any more wrong and stupid
correct
never, i love deadlifting

6pl8 is so close i can taste it, next bulk

any fat cunt can pull 3pl8 deadlift lol, i did it the first time i went to the gym.

>basic hip hinge exercise
there is the problem, most people these days have such poor mobility due to shitty lifestyle that they cant hip hinge properly and will round their lower back and fuck their shit up.

lol, salty weakling detected. Your standards are so fucking low, man. You should be able to get from untrained to 3pl8 in a matter of a few months at most. Most men that aren't completely sedentary their entire life can pull 2.5 for a single no problem.

Also, you're on a board dedicated to lifting. Average gym goers don't even know how to use machines properly...

I look a lot better now than I did a year ago, and my DL has gone up over 100lbs since then.

Don't know if it's totally correlated or not, but I only deadlift once a week and do a lot of exercises that help increase my deadlift.

I think it's a good overall measure of strength and training for your CNS etc.

People that make excuses not to do one or all of the big 4 lifts are just looking for justification to give up IMO.

Itt: full autism spectrum

not me but when my cousin got a lobotomy he started saying stupid shit like that

well you just named the problem user
>hip hinge
people have no idea how to diddly and they just rack on weight
look at that retard max chewning pulling conventional, people think this shit is normal
youtu.be/XVsXhZ-oCwQ?t=349

hey man, good luck and I hope you reach six plate!

I pull 4pl8 at 160. It took awhile but I'm proud of it. I didn't start out as some fat retard who can't even walk up a flight of stairs.

>you're on a board dedicated to lifting

Confirmed being here less than 3 months.

People that don't deadlift are the same people that get bossed around by their gf's
>implying u have a gf

Nvm

Wow, exactly 4 plates? That doesn't sound made up at all lmao

Took me forever to hit 4pl8, did so in January. Up to 475 now. Getting lots of mires (men only unfortunately). I started doing rack pulls 50-100lbs over my deadlift and it helped my grip get stronger so I wasn't focusing on my grip when hitting deadlift PRs. Hoping for 500lb diddly by end of october.

also 160.

Nigger detected

Good shit man. Keep at it

realized it a couple of years ago

i only do lightweight squats and deadlifts now, and progress very slowly

goal is to get 5RM 2pl8 squat and 3pl8 deadlift, currently at 1.5pl8 squat and 2pl8 deadlift

Thanks you too.

>people have poor mobility
This is not unique to the deadlift. Many people won't have the shoulder mobility to perform a good overhead press or the ankle mobility (or right leverages) to perform a full squat. You can't single out the deadlift if this is your concern.
>people perform the exercise poorly
Again, you can't fault the exercise by itself. You can fuck up almost any movement and snap your shit up but you can argue that the snappage in a deadlift is more detrimental than for example a tendinitis from retard curls or a torm rotator cuff injury from swing raises.

this will never get old

>bulking
>deadlift twice a week, 1x up to 5rm and 1x up to 10rm
>failed my 160kg x5 last week, only managed 4 reps
>pull 140kg x 10 today
is that normal?

how the fuck has it taken you a couple of years to reach that?

i singled out the deadlift because people are more likely to be injured.

DL is goat, can't beat that rush of a new PR

You vain fags can keep your (((safe))) hamstring curls to attract other males tho

That's a pretty normal 5RM to 10RM ratio imo.

>implying there's concentric knee flexion during deadlifting
do both faggot

i briefly considered it after tweaking my back on the eccentric w/ a relatively light weight (365 lbs). i do that w/ my eyes closed but i lost tightness for a sec and TWEAK felt like lightning shooting through my low back.

but a couple days later and im fine so... no reason to be drastic

okay thanks, this eternal limbo from 3 plates to 4 plates is just so depressing. fuck I wanna hit 4 plaet

I work in construction so deadlifting is one of the most important lifts I can do to improve my performance at work. Also cleans and ohp

Unless there are statistics or other references to back that up, I can't believe that, sorry. At the gym I visit I've never heard of anyone who hurt himself during deadlifts but I've seen at least 5 cases of people who hurt themselves with Bench and variations and 2 cases on Squats. Of course this is also anecdotal but it shows there's conflicting anecdotal evidence. Again, based on that you can't single out the deadlift.

>this obvious lie
id love to watch someone who never diddled come in and try to pull 3pl8s and snap their shit up

Takes some time, don't listen to retards who say they hit 4pl8 in 3 months and everyone who doesn't just did it wrong. Even if it's true, everyone's different. Just keep on eating and lifting and you'll get there in no time.

I was 135 pounds soaking wet when I first stepped into my first gym, I couldn't even bench the 15kg bars they had there. I think I pulled 60kg when I first tried diddlying.

>use lbs for bodyweight
>use kg for weights
wut

I'll be traveling for 6 weeks and I wont be able to lift, starting the 4th of october. Is it reasonably to pull 4plaet for 1 rep before then if I pull 160kg for around 5 reps now?

Amerifats brainwashed me with their imperial system, I'm trying to resist but it's hard my dude

[citation needed]

i've seen a whole lot more OHP, bench, and squat injuries than deadlift injuries, and i doubt you can provide me with any actual statistics so i'll have to trust empirical evidence

it should also be noted that push-pull meets exist in large part because powerlifters fuck their knees and hips up squatting, but can still bench and deadlift no problem, so i'm leaning towards squats being the most injurious of the big 3

>tfw I dislike heavy deadlifting because too lazy
>trap dreads or low weight reps
>weigh 220 and can 1rm 295

I do them and actively try to increase them, but only because the programs I do demand them. Never seen any palpable benefits from them tbqh. Squats are a far better exercise

Sounds reasonable to me. If this is your main goal, try to read about peaking or follow a structured peaking program for the next weeks. If done properly there might even be some more weight in store.

The onset of a diddly injury will usually take much longer making it less likely to see. You always read about people snapping their shit up deadlifting but don't see it in the gym because they feel the pain hours/days/weeks sometimes even months later after it happens then go post about it online. Sometimes people just suck it up but it gets worse and worse over time. Disc injuries are very tricky and deceptive. You see when someone fucks their shoulder or knee on ohp or squat you usually can tell instantly from the sound or structure collapsing. An injury on deadlift usually looks a lot like a non injury on deadlift and often feels fine until later.

>fat t rex detected

thanks my dude, I'll check it out

except that squats also put heavy compressive forces on the lower back, and they also put a considerable amount of shear force on the lower back if you squat with more forward lean (long limbed lifters usually do this)

so squats have a triple whammy of potential knee problems, hip problems (especially for those squatting with loads of abduction), and back problems (especially for long femured lifters)

>tfw just hurt my back on 195x5
Welp my shit was already getting fucked up from squats so i guess its time to drop everything lower body for a while
Fuck...

after 1PL8

just because an exercise is old doesn't mean it is safe use of time.
upright barbell row
dumbbell chest flies
behind the neck barbell press

those exercises you named are all shit indeed
you don't NEED to do heavy conventional deads, there are loads of variations and you should add one of them to your program

>dumbbell chest flies
perfectly safe

Brah my first day in the gym I could do 225 with shit form.

that's Roger Estep, not Rippetoe lol

nice reading comprehension m'potato

Funny how as August begins to disappear this thread gets reposted more and more.

I remember when I was at uni some faattttt rugby player (probably weighted 2.5 plate at around 6ft) came into the gym one day. I was doing deadlifts at 3pl8, he asked to have a go, did it with perfect form. It was a small gym and I'd never seen him there before so I feel he may genuinely have never tried dl-ing before

No, that one actually is Rip.

This is the one of Roger Estep that people frequently post as Rip.

you sound liek osmeone who tips the receptionist

Rick and Morty is shit

a yank? or a cuck lol?
either way I'm a glorious Briton, we're not known for tipping

huh? What's Rick and Morty?

Looks like Jeb's gearing up for a rematch against Trump.

The only reason to deadlift is if you want to deadlift, and I do so I deadlift.

But I also enjoy looking like I lift so I do a lot of high rep accessories to go with my ultra low rep deadlifting.

>BIG and STRONG
You'll have a big strong ass and legs... What's that useful for? What do you define strength as? You think giant legs are going to give you the edge in a fist fight? Good luck, with your no cardio because you're always tired and sore.

Except with squats the more upright you are the better and the more you're getting out of it assuming you aren't trying to do something retarded like do squat mornings. There are ways to perform the squat for all lifters to maintain a more vertical back angle and thus drastically reduce injury potential. A deadlift with a vertical back angle isn't a deadlift. A lifter can also typically deadlift more than they squat so when they make a mistake it's going to create more shearing forces on the spine.

If you were talking strictly in competition I might agree but competition is a completely and utterly retarded metric to base iniury rate assumptions on.

You're not an athlete, and risking snapping your spine in half for "recreational lifting" is fucking retarded.

t. never played a sport in his life and doens't care for functional strength
fag

Shut up, you're a fucking coward loser.

>You'll have a big strong ass and legs... >What's that useful for?
Having a big strong ass and legs?
>What do you define strength as?
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/strength Oh wow ooowweee
>You think giant legs are going to give you the edge in a fist fight?
>defines strength by a fist fight
>never been in a fist fight
>doesn't know how to fight

>Good luck, with your no cardio because you're always tired and sore
>og post is about squats and deadlifts are the only thing to build leg strength with
>some how gets that he doesn't do cardio from that post
>tired and sore
>tired and sore
Hurrrrrr muh superior speed durrrrr

Literally every sport requires strong legs you tard.

>not wanting to be capable of double over handing 500lbs for shits and giggles

wrong

>lower back getting in the way of back work
How? There's only a few movements (main movement, not including variations) that even include lower back. I can row 225 for a set of 5 and deadlifting has never impeded progress or anything like that. ur just a babby

So you're really good at bending over eh?

>600lb deadlift
>waaah look at upper his back rounding!!!!
noice, it's the equivalent of someone flaring their elbows on a heavy bench

Y-you can say that I g-guess

what the fuck did this reply contribute to the original