/fitlit/

You did remember to keep reading didn't you?

Name 5 books that would benefit me and that aren't boring as fucking shit.

The intelligent investor
Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow
A game of thrones

1. The Bible (New Testament especially)
2. 7 habits of highly successful people
3. The art of war
4. The science of getting rich
5. To kill a mockingbird

Rich dad poor dad

the subtle art of not giving a fuck

this is some junior high level shit so far

>Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow
no homo

Not him. I haven't read The subtle art of not giving a fuck, but I have read Models wich is a good book.

Gym Candy

Reading Wallace in 2017 is not cool. I had a English professor last semester who looked and dressed just like him. Not a coincidence I think.

>Meme
>Meme
>Game of Kikes: Fat Autistic Alcoholist's Sex Fantasies
Fucking LMAO

Something being simple doesn't make it wrong, just as something being complicated doesn't make it right.
And I hate when people criticize what's available but don't offer better alternatives.

Phaedrus
Nichomachean ethics
Enquiry concerning human understanding
PI
Stages in life's way

become a moral human being

I only just started reading so some might think those books are meme tier
>the art of war
>meditations
>the art of worldy wisdom
>the 48 laws of power
>the prince
>analects of Confucius
>on the ends of good and evil

Murakami does amazing prose. Read South of the Border, West of the Sun. Its fun and light hearted and will help you ease into literature.

T. Pseudo-alpha

Go learn a martial art, you'll learn all that you've mentioned. Provided you've a good coach

Why you hating on game of thrones

I'm already a martial artist

Pseudo intellectual

It's fun
If I or anyone on Veeky Forums wanted to be smart they would be read encyclopedias and stuff

Wait.... what?

I'm calling the GoT hater a whiny pseudo intellectual, and edgy cuck at that. Not bashing the series

Infinite Jest is literally one of the worst written books I ever had the displeasure of being tricked into reading. Only picked it up because a hot bartender with an english degree kept ranting about it to me when I was young and easily drawn in by thots. Threw it in the trash before page 200.

Good thing we get dem aesthetics and dgaf about bitches anymore :D.

No longer human by Osamu Dazai
Art of war
Anything by H.P. Lovecraft
The Divine Comedy

Infinite Jest is great overall but the last hundred or so pages are an unrewarding chore to get through.

I'd much rather listen to documentaries while I'm doing art or other things.

post some of your art

>need to work, and sleep
>want to lift, read, watch films, play vidya, practice coding, write music, get gf
>only 24 hours in a day

Who came up with this bullshit

I'm reading the The Witcher books right now. Bretty entertaining. How would Veeky Forums rate them?

Marcus Aurelius' Meditations
Plato's The Republic
Mein Kampf - Hitler
Das Kapital - Marx
The Richest Man in Babylon - George Samuel Clason

I'm reading the internet at this very moment

I read mein kampf recently and holy shit it is a badly written book. Do people actually read it or do they just put it on their bookcases to be edgy faggots?

it's a very long and drawn out piece of literature. hitler made no point in skipping over anything he thought. a problem you may have encountered is on the translator. a few words and slang were difficult bringing over to english.

You got to pick something and stick to it, can't do everything at once. Reduce your computer time to 2-3 hours (vidya, Internet surfing, whatever).

Reading Aristotle right now but it's a fucking slog. The concepts are easy as shit but I have to read a sentence like 5 times to glean what the fuck he's actually saying.
Does this make me a brainlet? Im reading him with the goal of reading Neitchze (will never spell that name correctly)

Veeky Forums would laugh at you for reading fantasy that's also a videogame adaptation but from what I've heard it's a bretty fun series

Lovecraft was kind of a waste imo
Maybe I just didn't get out of it what I was supposed to

English version?

yes, my copy is translated by Ralph Manheim with an introduction written by Abraham Foxman, a jew who was in charge of the ADL. really shows how corrupted Hitler's writing has become. it's tough finding a pure copy

I'm a psued. Played too many video games and now books can't keep my attention.

I read an original German one from the 30s
I can't tell how bad the translation in English is though

Starship Troopers

literally just force your way through 30 pages and youll get into the

if you dont have the willpower to fucking read you would never make it in the gym why are you here

Spin
The Shadow Out of Time
The Scientific Principles of Strength Training
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
I Ching

into the groove*

My nigga

There isn't a single book that will give you any meaningful change of mind unless you are already prestined to think/act that way.
Example: if you are not a business man and do not have the born-with ambition of becoming rich, then no book in the world can help you to become rich.

Ergo: if you have the desire to read books and get inspired by written words, then it will likely have some kind of output for you.
But then you would already be reading books.
Hence, convincing someone with no interest to read books of trying it will yield no results.

The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway
The Stranger
How to Win Friends and Influence People
The Hot Zone
Things Fall Apart

read these and tell me any of them bored you

meant for

>Things Fall Apart

What? It's a good book

reading wallace - whose main philosophical anxiety was that irony will eventually poison all discourse - in 2017, an era marked by gigantic levels of irony poisoning, is not cool? you're right lmao

>not reading IJ on the lat pulldown machine
>letting the weight thou wouldst pull to thyself exceed thine own weight

>Spin

MY NIGGA!

>every book I've read is boring

t.brainlet

>Marcus Aurelius' Meditations
if there's only one book you must read, it's this one. You don't need anything else.
Just read this book op and you will become a better man. Not a perfect man because it's impossible to follow every guideline Marcus is giving you. But you will better your behaviour, the way you talk to people, the way you manage your friends, how to consider death, how to stray further from meaningless yet harmfull desires (and also feelings like hatred, anger, sadness, nostalgia, vainglory, etc...), how much you must love your family and protect it, etc...
If you are a stressed person like me, you will find quietude in this book for there's an answer to every question.
>inb4 you made this book look like the bible
To each its bible i guess.

First thing I thought of when Trump got the nomination was Johnny Gentle.

The divine comedy is shit. Literally a self insert fanfic of the bible. Literally the only interesting parts are the imaginative ironic punishments in hell (often administered to people he didn't like IRL), and that's only part of the first third of the poem. Paradisio in particular is fucking snoresville

what specifically did it help with? what are some of the lines you thought were most meaningful?

i read it, didn't think it was that special tbqh

realtalk reading phenomenology of spirit with a pump feels soooo good

everything related about death and how pointless it is to worry about it. It may seems "lmao edgy" for some but i remember when i was a kid i was unable to sleep for days because of anxiety crisis. I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that one day my parents, my sibling and i will die, one way or another. I guess witnessing the slow death of my grand father on is death bed because of a crushing lung cancer when i was 8 didn't help.
Another line i remember was the one about "finding an escape", let me quote him :
>People try to get away from it all—to the country, to the beach, to the mountains. You always wish that you could too.
>Which is idiotic: you can get away from it anytime you like.
>By going within.
>Nowhere you can go is more peaceful—more free of interruptions—than your own soul. >Especially if you have other things to rely on.

Fag

A lot of pages and not a whole lot of meaning. And before I get called a pseudo-intellectual again I'll just admit that I'd rather just watch the series and read something more interesting instead. Not going to do that either but just saying. Don't waste your time reading thousands of pages of poorly written autism

How to become a billionaire
The America we deserve
How to get rich
Time to get tough
The art of the deal

I'm reading it but I would recommend a more modern translation than the 1800s one I'm reading. They tended to use very long sentences where we could get the same point across briefly now. It really makes it more difficult than it has to be when the point is the message, not the prose.

>42686930
>not realizing that okonkwo is the literally ultimate chad

shoo shoo knowledge goblin

The new testament
A new model of the universe P.D Ouspensky
The forgotten solider Guy Sajer (with the old breed is also great)
Mythology
Man and his symbols

You must think with your brain.

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.

> How to Win Friends and Influence People

this was poorly written garbage

Dune

> for some but i remember when i was a kid i was unable to sleep for days because of anxiety crisis. I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that one day my parents, my sibling and i will die, one way or another. I guess witnessing the slow death of my grand father on is death bed because of a crushing lung cancer when i was 8 didn't help.
You and i brother, you and i
Could never accept death after that, fell for the nihilist meme a bit and rotted for 15 years.
Will read meditations as soon as i get home.

Thank you man

>used to frequent /lit
>lots of nitpicking and assholes pretending like they'll someday write anything that anyone gives a fuck about.
>stop going to /lit, start going to >fit and /k.
>work out and shoot guns now for fun.
>/litizens now seem like gigantic insufferable faggots.

only good suggestion itt

He said not boring

Fantastic book

I didn't read them, but do you think Axis and Vortex are worth reading?

you must have gotten out of the water to read them

same. he also completely predicts the face tune thing everyone is doing on snapchat and IG

>Cannot appreciate art unless it's engaging and entertaining only on the most basic levels.

How's this sport's season going, brainlet?

>weak beta twink reading the fedora of literature
Clockwork.

infinite jest is actually really good lel

I've been reading Camus lately and thoroughly enjoyed it. He's very good at creating likable characters that feel genuine. I'd recommend The Plague to pretty much anyone.

>tfw you'll never have a friend like jean tarrou

>the bible
gas urself kike

>not reading The Trial by Kafka to get pumped before a lift

makes me furious

For understanding Stoicism the Meditations is the worst book you can read, the Enchiridion is far superior and straight forward in its ethics.

The Trial is great. It annoys me that people meme about Kafka so much.

Funnily enough, one of the characters in (The Plague) misreads what is implied to be The Trial as a mystery novel.

Meditations - Marcus Aurelius
The Art of War - Sun Tzu
Meditations on Hunting - Jose Ortega y Gasset
The Demon-Haunted World - Carl Sagan
Coming Home To The Pleistocene - Paul Shepard

Seconding The Divine Comedy. If you haven't read Dante you can't really claim to be literate.

Seconding Hemingway's short stories. One of the best writers of the 20th century.

Mein Kampf and anything by Marx belong on the dustheap of history: screeds crayoned by morally imbecilic failures, worth reading only as case studies in pathological wrongness.

>memefinite meme
*tips*

The trial is the most boring shit ever. Dryest book I ever read. Dude's a fucking normie and it's just about his gay normie life. Same with the stranger

>recommends new testament
>kike

Mein Kampf and Das Kapital just strike me as works that belong in the same bin as Atlas Shrugged; trite ideological writing spurred on by skewed morality and personal failure. And for some reason they're not.

dude YAMS lmao

lel

same dude wallace called the progression of our whole degenerate, pleasure seeking rocket missile culture

Chapter 3: Okonkwo acts like a dumb nigger
Chapter 4: Okonkwo is such a stupid nigger
Chapter 5: This fucking nigger
Chapter 6: All about Yams

When you read it like a white man the only real takeaway is that blacks are incapable of civilization.

They're bronze medals to Spin's gold but still worth it, in my opinion. Adjust your expectations.

1. Journey to the West
2. On Writing by Stephen King
3. The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt
4. The Black Company 1-3
5. American Gods by Neil Gaiman

It sounds cringey but pic related literally changed my life when I read it a few years ago. I identified so much with the main character and his life and vowed to not end up like him. I don't think I came away with the message that the author intended, but that doesn't matter.