Hey, so I want to start meditating once a day... Does anybody have a guide or tips and tricks on getting started...

Hey, so I want to start meditating once a day... Does anybody have a guide or tips and tricks on getting started... Also, does anybody have an app that I can use for iPhone?

Other urls found in this thread:

sirimangalo.org/text/how-to-meditate/
dhammatalks.org/mp3_guidedMed_index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There are a lot of apps dedicated to meditation on appstore. Some are guided and some are pretty much just timers with music. Personally, I don't use any apps.

I just sit down, get comfy, and start breathing. Count your breaths (something like inhaling in four seconds, holding for four seconds, exhaling for four seconds) and try to relax your mind. Make sure you breathe all the way into your stomach (letting your stomach rise while inhaling can trick you into doing this). If your mind starts to wander, just return to counting.

Just remember, if you want to reach that feel-good meditative state, don't forcefully push your thoughts away. Examine them briefly, consider why you thought of it, let them go, and keep counting.

I use it for falling asleep on rest days when I am not all tuckered out from training.

don't listen to this huge retard.
You need to use less apps and electronics, not more.

Meditation has nothing to do with apps, nor does lifting.

you are a huge fucking faggot if you count calories, this is known. but you are an even bigger faggot if you use an app for it.

> Literally says: "Personally, I don't use any apps"
> "HURR!! DON'T USE APPS, RETARD!"
What.

i only read the first few words of the post.
do you really think i'm going to waste reading full text crap on this retard lifting board?

holy fuckig shit.

Not everyone wastes time like you do

I sense a little anger in you. Maybe you should try meditating. I heard it helps.

consistency is key mate. don't rush it or you'll get bored, even just 5 minutes a day is enough in the beginning. posture is a key point, you want to be focused on your breathing and not too relaxed, so sitting with a straight back let's you stay focused. you can sit in a chair or on the floor, if you're in a chair try to sit on the edge/use a pillow to keep your spine straight. if you're on the floor i would definitely recommend using pillows otherwise your legs will go to sleep and you'll find it hard to keep a straight spine. just focus on breathing and counting the breath (try counting up to 10 and then down again, restart if you get distracted by a thought or sensation), you'll notice a lot of thoughts going through your mind, but don't worry about them, the only thing that should be happening as far as you're concerned is breathing in and out, you're becoming a chimney. after a while of doing this you'll notice the thoughts stop happening as often and your mind will become tranquil.

I have absolutely no clue what mediation is. Could someone explain like Im five?
Do you just sit down for 30 minutes trying to think about nothing? Whats the point of being brain dead for so long, why not just sleep? What benefits do you have

>Also, does anybody have an app that I can use for iPhone?

Headspace. Created by an ex-monk to teach the normieverse outside of his old temple to meditate.

It's a pay-app so this post will look like I'm shilling, but the first ten days of intro lessons are free and really do teach you a lot. You could honestly build a solid foundation for a daily practice with the whole bunch of stuff you learn without spending any money.

>doesn't read a full post so he doesn't waste time
>wastes time by replying to the poster twice because he was too lazy to read the initial post

I like you

Just sit or lay in dead silence and try to have no thoughts. It's tougher than it seems.

it's concentrating on something in order to silence your mind

silence your mind from what? what does this accomplish?

My friends use head space and say it's good.

Fuck what all these fags say OP. Pay 200+ to get a proper transindental meditation course like I did, you go every day for a week and you will master it in that time and then have regular meet ups further down the road. Its the first step to enlightenment.

your thoughts/your ego

why would you pay to learn how to meditate? you can explain it in 10 minutes

>I paid $200 for a course, thusly I must have mastered mediating. I am enlightened, and anyone that mediates for free is a faggot.

You forgot the trademark in the 'Transcendental Meditation', and you misspelled it, so I'm going to assume you are more of an idiot than a shill.

Maybe, but you still wont really understand the intricacies of it. You won't achieve anything doing it for 5 minutes or even 10 for starters

that is not something an enlightened person would say user-kun

you like r*ddit

I just want you to know, you're a terrible person.

That's because anyone that uses the word "enlightened" either has something to sell you, or they're some idiot who wants to jerk themselves off over their 'advanced mediation practices'.

You'll want a meditation timer. The more barebones, the better. Android has this app called Zazen Meditation Timer, which is literally perfect.

As to meditating itself, there are lots of little things, but I'll say the biggest things I've realized is that there are essentially two main types of meditation.

Concentration meditation is when the meditator sits and breathes and tries to focus on a central object while staying in the present moment. That central object might be the breath or the body, it might be the flow of thoughts or the tendencies of the mind, or it might be concepts (e.g. Buddhist concepts or, more secularly, important aspects in life like death, destiny, etc.). The meditator might focus on just one of those objects or a series of them (e.g. focus on breathing for 3 in&out breaths, focus on body for 3 in&out breaths, focus on the sense of pleasure you're feeling now for 3 in&out breaths, and so on); in either case, it builds concentration.

Free-flowing meditation is less structured but does draw from the above central objects -- however, those objects are less the entire focus of meditation and instead are just ways of grounding yourself, so that you don't go into the deep end of your thoughts. Basically, you allow the "leash" on your mind to be loose. The goal here is to work on your reactions to your thoughts, especially the ones that quickly pop up (e.g. instantaneous thoughts of discomfort, of wanting to end the meditation session, of feeling overwhelmed). When those thoughts pop up, you go back to your centering object -- usually the breath. This trains the mind to handle chaos a bit better: very useful for the hecticness of modern life, including just basic conversations.

Ideally, you'd meditate twice a day in order to develop both practices, but switching off days is fine, too.

Read this in his voice.

Well, your comments were a waste of time, so congrats on your failure.

Seconding headspace, it's good. Helped me with my anxiety, depression and focus.

You're gonna have to pay $15 a monthish, once you finish the foundation course.

I'll second the Headspace recc. It's not quite as good as having your own personal pocket-sized Buddhist monk, but if you have never had any formal training it's about as close as you can come.

after five years in a zen center I just set an alarm for 25 mins, if I feel ambitious I will do another 25 mins afterwards. there's no tricks, or guide, it's about maintaining a stick posture, the harder the better. If you start to experience "phenomenon" you need to reach out to a monk IMMEDIATELY, people have gone crazy from "casual" meditation.

also to start, don't go for the full 25 mins, just focus on 10 of 15, and do another round if you feel ready.

Not gonna rag on Headspace, if it works for oyu that's great.

But there are free resources out there.

I like breath meditation and metta meditation.

sirimangalo.org/text/how-to-meditate/

dhammatalks.org/mp3_guidedMed_index.html

Having a teacher is good for questions but you should also try meditation without a guide or music.

It's really simple. Sit down with a straight spine, and breathe. Anything else is totally unnecessary for a beginner. Electronics are counterproductive.

are you mad or what? fucking kekk