Outside a small little scuffle in elementary school, I've never been in a fight. Never thrown a punch...

Outside a small little scuffle in elementary school, I've never been in a fight. Never thrown a punch, and never had to block or fail to block one thrown at me.

I want to change this. Talked with my cousin who attempted to do MMA several years back and he said joining a fighting gym it will be 6 months or more of training before I have a full on spar with someone - I am okay with and prepared for this.

I was looking at some gyms in my area and it seems that the choices are really Muy Thai or BJJ. If my goal is to eventually get in the ring with a stranger and win by KO, where should I start?

>my goal is to eventually get in the ring with a stranger and win by KO, where should I start?

In what sport fool? If you wanna knock the guy out with a punch, then boxing or Muay Thai

No thanks, more of a karate guy.

BOXING AND BJJ

get the fook outta here

blowjob job?

I wanna get into boxing but i feel like im not ready. I want to get to ~1/2/3/4 and then maintain that while making some cardio gains; Atm im pretty sure id throw up after 15min of hard cardiovascular activity.

Has anyone gone to a boxing gym? How does it work?

blow job jitsu dumb ass

Dont really have a preference to sport. Really the only thing that would drive preference is the mentality of the trainers/coaches and the types of people gravitating around it.

Boxing and the crew associated wtih the sport seem like not my crowd. Then again I'm talking out my ass because I have zero experience in a gym or spending more than a passing conversation with anyone that plays the sport recreationally.

Knocking a guy out sounds great, but I think what I'm looking for is the requirement of awareness. A lot of my life doesn't require any sort of vigilance or awareness to survive, and I crave that intensity of the moment that only comes around in high stress situations and psychadelics. Since I cant fry every day I want something sustainable.

Good ones will be tough, but I'm sure they have room for willed begginers that are up to endure the grit that comes in the beggining

Sergio Martinez never got into a street fight in his life, but once he tried out boxing he found he was a natural. Test yourself user, just make sure you're with a reputable gym who won't throw you into sparring unless they feel you're ready.

>aesthetics
>ears look like a diaper filled with rotting shit

pick one

>Good ones will be tough, but I'm sure they have room for willed begginers that are up to endure the grit that comes in the beggining
What do you mean by this?
Isnt it more they're after my money so they'll take anyone?

All the boxing gyms in my area seem to be more like "fitness centers" where they take large groups of people and do 30min "boxing" or "kickboxing" classes so you lose weight

Ideally im looking for a place with small groups or one on one boxing classes/training. I want to put effort into it and improve but at the same time its not like im gonna dedicate all my life/time to this. Im 24 and not trying to box professionally, just trying to learn and do it as a hobby for fun.

I do want to get into good strenght/endurance shape beforehand so im not struggling with that part of it when i start

>Muy Thai or BJJ
Both. You will be able to beat up 99% of the population.

Trust me friend, its no accident that I've gone this far in life without it happening. The thought of a fucked up ears and nose is exactly what keep me talking when shit gets heated.

But after watching Mayweather fight Mcgregor - sitting around and protecting youself and picking only the best opportunities to break out of your "I'm too pretty to fight" shell is apparently a respectable way to win. He lives this mentality through his whole life and somehow is respected for it.

And I live in the dead center of the tech center of the state. 99% of the people are either overweight, or 5'7 95 lbs.

only works when you're an autistic savant for boxing with god-given reflexes dude

There's a boxing gym down the street from me.

They don't teach group classes, they only work with their boxing team. They have a couple teenage national champions.

They only offer private lessons for those looking to learn who seem committed. $25/90min

Damn, that was a lightning quick punch.

These aren't boxing gyms.

Take this test:
if there is too much mirrors, blonde women, music blasting and you can't spot any old black man yelling at someone you're not in a boxing gym.

>and you can't spot any old black man yelling at someone you're not in a boxing gym.
Kek this is what im looking for.
Only thing is idk if i can commit to spending more than ~5 hours on it a week total(not just classes, but practicing on my own)

then don't waste their fucking time.

isn't that the punch that paralyzed him?

45minutes a day, six days a week. 4.5hours is plenty. Just continued doing the rest of your exercises too. Don't expect gains though.

Sparring really depends on the person. At the gym I go to one of the trainers said he waited 4-6 months before he started sparring. I jumped in after about 6 weeks and found success. Getting exposed to sparring early helps because it trains you to keep your composure. A lot of what you learn and think you know goes out the door when you're fighting a moving target who is throwing punches and trying to hurt you. If you want to KO a stranger then obv go for boxing or MT. If you want to kill someone fairly easily go for BJJ. I focus mainly on sparring and negate a lot of BJJ training and I know if a BJJ guy ever got me to the ground I would die.

Boxing gyms usually give a free first class or first week and you go in and test it out. A coach or trainer runs the class through drills and pad work for about an hour. I lost a ton of muscle when I started training because it took over my workout routine. I don't even lift anymore to be honest. I know this version of myself could beat my old gym self so it's worth it.

god you people are fucking idiots. could box for a couple years, but if you got in a bar fight some random dude who wrestled casually in high school would fucking rape you. Youre shitty boxing would have no idea how to handle some guy going immediately for a take down and your head and back smacking the pavement. There's a reason wrestling is the best foundation for MMA fighters. If you get in a street fight wrestling experience will almost gaurentee you a win

Most forms of martial arts developed to take on other practitioners of that said martial art and our not effective except someone else using that style of fighting.

Thats why its called mixed martial arts and the fighters all know mixed fighting styles. Kick boxing, boxing and wrestling are the best to know.

>eh eh im krotty gai

No you aren't. You haven't started any training. You aren't any kind of -guy yet

Ss..s..San Jose?

I would've wrestled in high school if you didn't have to wear a faggy uniform. Im glad I did boxing instead then started bjj.

Not the guy you're replying to but I also thought the uniforms were faggy. However, a lot of things I use to view as gay don't really hold up anymore. Kickboxing shorts are incredibly short and I wear those all the time when I train. Plus I wear vale tudos (basically the equivalent to girl booty shorts for guys) when I train that can sometimes outline my dick.

Is bjj twice a week and some sort of striking once a week enough? I don't really want to commit more time than that except just for working on technique/flexibility/conditioning by myself. Got a busy schedule, see. I did bjj for the first time this week and really enjoyed it, I just want to have the combination of striking, grappling and strength

I hope your job doesn't require your intellect because this is one of the fastest ways to get brain damage.

Motorcycle accident paralysed him.