What are you currently reading for brain gainz Veeky Forums?

what are you currently reading for brain gainz Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

cyber.eserver.org/unabom.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The FUCKING STICKY GODDAMNIT.

reading books for self improvement threads have happened on Veeky Forums you nig

Just finished Treasure Island

Was a fun trip lads, I feel like drinking Captain Morgan this weekend

Anyone got any other suggestions for fun classic adventure novels?

Just finished a bio on Rommel, Patton and Montgomery. Pretty interesting comparison between their stories.

Now I'm making my way through Alexanderplatz Berlin. It's...interesting as well.

Actually thinking about re-reading Moby Dick after this, either that or Blood Meridian.

Accounting for Value and the Intelligent Investor. It was just lying here so why not?

those quads

"The Ego and Its Own" by Max Stirner for a brain picker.

"Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro for entertainment.

Occasionally listen to some Alan Watts lectures to chill myself the fuck out so I don't get so wrapped up on self-improvement that I make a wretch out of myself.

Just about anything by Jules Verne. H. Rider Haggard is also good. Arthur Conan Doyle wrote some adventure novels.

cyber.eserver.org/unabom.txt

Better go watch black sails if you haven't yet

How is moby dick? Its been on my reading list forever, but i have been afraid to start it because i have heard a lot of people say its terribly boring.

If you've never read Blood Meridian then absolutely do that rather than rereading anything.

Also, if you like Cormac McCarthy - read Suttree. Grind through the early parts where he's channeling Faulkner (not necessarily a bad thing, but a daunting start) and you will find a fucking amazing book. Blood Meridian is a knockout due to the sheer brutality - but Suttree is a contender for his best work IMO.

Les Mis

Moby Dick is the greatest achievement in the English language, even with all the whale pseudo-scientific chapters, even with all the latent homosexuality.

My nigga.

It's an essential of literature and a worthwhile struggle, but portions of it are every bit as boring as you've heard. He fully abandons the plot for large portions of the book - and not all of side biz is worth sacrificing the storyline. Only book other than Ulysses that made me consider jumping ship. Still ultimately worth it.

the beginning is comfy, the naval and whale explanations are boring and might get you confused but just hold to the plot, its good.

Spermaceti male bonding ceremony.

No homo lol

>latent homosexuality.
not wanting to be brehs with Queequeg

>jumping ship

as in quitting what exactly...?

heterosexual behavior?

Casually, listening to Lovecraft audio books driving to and from work. The man himself was a loser, but his stories are the only books that can spoop me. Shadow Over Innsmouth reminds me of my local gym.

As in not finishing the book. I'm stubborn as hell about finishing anything I start. At one point in Moby Dick I said to myself - I'm not sure if I can take another bullshit chapter that does nothing to forward the plot. The author proceeded to devote an entire chapter to the nature of the color white itself and what it may symbolize. I almost closed the book for good.

I'm glad I didn't - but if anyone says there isn't boring shit in Moby Dick they're lying.

Ulysses is an endurance test that almost got the best of me. Least accessible shit I've read. Gravity's Rainbow was pushing it as well, but at least I had comical absurdity and outright bizarre shit to keep me pushing on.

Hoping you see this reply as I know just the right book for you to look into. It's called 'Captain Blood' by Rafael Sabatini. It's about a medical practicioner who is exiled to the caribbean, who goes on to become a pirate. It's an old book so the wording is a little dated but it gives it character I can assure you. It was recommended to me years ago on Veeky Forums and I really do think it's worth your time.

Just got Stoner by John Williams, heard good things

wow that's so weird I literally just bought treasure island the other day..

Slowly falling for the Stirnerism meme.

I've been looking for stuff like Dune and The Naked God.

But all I've found is themed trekwars garbage.

Yeah that chapter on the color white was very redundant. Felt like he reiterated the same point too many times.

dune

Thanks for the suggestions, I have a couple of Verne's works and a complete collection of Sherlock Homes.

I'll check it out user

That sounds right up my alley, I'm going to look into it next.

It's a quick read, fast paced and good old adventure all the way through.

Nothing because I'm a lazy faggot who buys about 50 books a year and doesn't read them.

I want to read and I downloaded all the "classics" and stuff you read in school but I start them and then I'm like ..it just took this guy 3 pages worth of fancy words and pointless details to say that he walked home and I get bored and can't see the point
How to better books?

LoTR: Fellowship of the Ring and Kitchen Confidential

I love hard science fiction

Pic related.

That's a real classic, read it after I heard it served as the inspiration for Apocalypse Now. Even though it's an old book, I still read it with tension and excitement

finished Cat's Cradle this morning. Highly recommend.

hello, Veeky Forums

good old western bloodshed and violence with awesome prose

Bit off topic but maybe you can help
I've recently started reading classic books (in German) and I sometimes have to reread chapters three times before understanding them
German is my mother tongue and i often times feel stupid if I don't understand writings of Nietzsche or anyone else right away

Will it get better the more I read or am I a stupid retard?

90 Day Novel. I want to write a story.

Means you're below average yh but you've got perseverance which is more important.

I'm being a bit of a book whore right now. Different books for different locations. I'm reading Fear and Trembling by Kierkegaard, Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Nietzsche, and Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt

What do you mean with below average yh?
And does perseverance actually mean anything, as in, will it get better or not?

Pic related

Muh man. I'm currently on the final book, Chapterhouse Dune

Never gonna make it

it will get better and try to read more slowly
maybe use a pen to write down what's hard , important etc

Text books. On semester five for an accounting associates. Past four semesters were straight 4.0s. I'm not smart, just committed to success.

you know reading doesn't actually make you smarter right? You either know how to read or you don't. Unless you're reading a science journal or something.

historyfag here, lightly reading this before i start my uni course in october

Thanks for the heads up mate

Letters From A Stoic - Seneca
1Q84 - Haruki Murakami
Strategic Principles of Go - Richard Bozulich

Reading makes you think. Your mind is like a muscle; it can be trained. The more reps, the heavier the weight, the more gainz.

They made a movie out of Captain Blood, starring Errol Flynn. It's awesome. Better yet is the Pyrates, by George MacDonald Fraser.

bring back /litfit/

Hmm... really made me think

>brain gainz
>fiction

Luminous by Greg Egan.

My motherfucking dude. Revelation Space is a wild ride. Has some iffy parts but good goddamn. I hope you check out the supplementary material as well since he has many short stories and novellas in the same universe.

Plato's Republic
Augustine's City of God
and two collections of metaphysics textbooks

Doing it all for my classes. I've never had so much reading so quickly for school, but it's pretty great and by the end of the semester I'll have finished a ton of reading.

Next

Trying to get into stoicism, reading Epictetus's Discourses

Reading "The Sagas of the Warrior-Poets" in the Penguin Classics translation.

Just finished At the Mountain of Madness and working on a couple of his other works. You should check out The House on the Borderlands if you're into being spooked.

Blood meridian is fucking amazing. Truly one of the greatest modern books.
I actually just picked up suttree at a book shop while looking for no country for old men. I'm not wild about Faulkner but I'll put up with it for my boy Cormac. God his prose is hypnotic. I didn't feel like I even took a breath during whole chapters of some of his books.

try mark aurelius' works as well

Treasure of the Sierra Madre
King Solomon's Mines
Call of the Wild
The old Robert E Howard Conan the Barbarian stories

>awesome prose
you mean sloppy self-indulgent prose

The real heart of darkness...was in LONDON

>good old

Actually, Blood Meridian is most famous for being among the first gritty, realistic depictions of the Old West. Prior to that, it was simplistic "good guys vs bad guys" pap

Also Judge Holden is supposed to be some kinda demon from gnostic theology or something

>reading about dicks

never change, Veeky Forums

I actually just started The Call of The Wild

It's really good. It gets labelled as a children's book a lot, since the protagonist is a dog, but there's a lot of deeper meaning in it. Plus a lot of throats get ripped out

I also recommend reading White Fang right after. Kind of a similar story, but in reverse