Can an ex smoker ever recover?

Can an ex smoker ever recover?

>Smoked for 8 years
>Stopped since 2 years
>Still can only run 3km and have to take like 5 walking breaks

I honestly can't understand how people can run 5km without even stopping

Lol maybe you're naturally a poor endurance runner. I ran for the first time since high school(6 years) and did 4km without stopping in 25 minutes, 2 sessions later I did 4km in 22 minutes without trying to run faster. I also used to smoke a lot but quit a year ago.

How long have you been running for, and are you running effortlessly and conserving energy?

i smoked for years up until the day i left for boot camp. it definitely held me back but the towards the end i started outrunning unathletic people

i think i might run too fast

ive been running since 2 years i stopped smoking

i did had a break sometimes of 3 months or something

but its also just breaking my motivation knowing there are people that run 5km nonstop without any issues, not even to talk about people that run marathons

boot camp? like american army? yeah im too old now too for that stuff im 26 and we dont have that stuff here in my country, you either are in the army or not

yeah. its a funny story actually. I was a top 40 swimmer in my state meets. Started smoking pot and cigs multiple times daily when I started college. When I joined boot camp it took me like 10:15 to run a mile on my pt test. After 3 months of boot camp I was running consecutive 7:30 miles and LEGIT smoking kids on our runs (after 3 months of no smoking and daily cardiovascular workouts). American boot camp splits runs up into groups and I got moved up TWICE lol. I was in my young 20s though and knew I was talented so after my lungs repaired damage over 3 months I was probably 75% of what I'd be without smoking ever

If i see old military dogs run 6 miles while smoking then you can do it eventually without.

I'm in the process of quitting, after thirteen years of smoking. I just started couch to 5k back in April - progress was a little slower, but I still made it: 28 minute (lol) 5k, now working up to running 10k without walking breaks

are these miles or kilometers?

cause miles are even harder than kilometers

You haven't smoked in two years? It's not the cigarettes holding you back then. I smoked over a pack a day for 8 years and it only took about 6 months before I didn't notice anything on my runs. Or maybe you have cancer

That's the trick, you should be jogging at a comfortable pace, literally at one step above speed walking. Just jog really lightly and don't worry about distance. Do that for as long as you can and see how far you get. You should be able to do that for at least 20 minutes before you need to stop. If you get knee pain stop immediately, I didn't and I've been out of the gym for a week because of it.

iver never experienced knee pain though

i will try again running at a slower speed

I smoke, and know a lot of smokers, who run just fine.

>38yo 100kg never run in life
>Started 3 weeks ago, knees fucking hurt
>Started smoking last year
>5km + breaks = 37mn
Don't give up user the rush when you finish is uncomparable

just do any c25k like program
2 years ago i couldnt finish a 5 k without walking this year i finished my first halfmarathon with a pace that was a minute faster per KM then my old 2k pace

forgot to mention i also did a 10k and then a hm training program after c25k zombies run btw

Smoke 3 packs a week and run about 15 miles a week.

Been smoking for 11 years. Currently on a 1/3 pack of 20s per day. running anything between 5k-15k five days a week. Personal best for a 5k is 18.5 mins.

Used to be on a pack a day when I started running. Built up my endurance for 5k within a week of starting mt training.

I mostly chalk it down to good genetics (ie: unusually large lung capacity), so I guess it varies from person to person. Smoking definitely doesn't help, but the extent to which it affects your running and endurance varies from person to person.

You wont be breaking any 4 minute miles or anything as an ex smoker (as I am too) but you should be able to jog almost indefinitely as long as you aren't going up hills and you find your pace.
Your body tends to fall into habits when you're running, especially if you're doing gay treadmill programs.
You have to actually push passed it.
Run 3.5 k's tomorrow before walking. Make it your new habit. When you're used to it then do 4k, etc. You'll find you can do it easy if you just don't stop.
Take into account you're probably not as young as you were before your 8 year smoking habit so you have to work for it and build up to it.

hey i got into runing recently (6 months) still a smoker (with couple day stoppage before long runs) and i was able to run half marathon in 3 months sicne starting. just recently finished a combined duathlon (30km bike-21,2km run-30km bike)

The way to go is just persist and pace yourself. i run 5 in 25 when im pacing peacefully around 20-22 when i try to push.

just keep runing, increase mileage slowly (like +1km to your daily run every week )

If i can do it user, anyone can

Faggot, I smoke half a pack a day and still run 8.5 km. Feel fucked afterwards, but I still manage. You simply lack the mindset.

Is smoked for over 10 years. Been quite over six years. You will definitely recover if you keep running. I peaked at 12:50 at minute two miles at age 27, and now I do four to eight miles for cardio and weight control at age 34.

>Can an ex smoker ever recover?
Considering many elite cardio athletes are heavy smokers, I guess you'll be fine. Your excuses are kinda funny, tho.