Why is there so much scare mongering around the behind the neck press?

Why is there so much scare mongering around the behind the neck press?

it's valid seeing as elite olympic athletes have superior mobility while the average newbie lifter will just fuck his shit up if he goes right into the movement

This. you need to work on mobility before attempting these presses, especially in snatch grip

because if you do it with poor form and too much weight you can seriously fuck up your rotator cuffs

So basicslly, use a weight you can do good form with and don't be a retard.

>tfw been lifting for 6 months
>tfw 70kg snatch press
>tfw lifted more than OHP on my first try
should I just give up on OHP altogether?

Because it causes shoulder impingement and if done for long enough leads to rotator cuff tendonitis

and only do it if you have good shoulder mobility

now, the next time you see people doing BTN press see how many are doing all of those things. then you'll understand why there's so much scaremongering, people injure themselves regularly doing it.

There's no fucking way you can behind the neck snatch press more than your OHP

the injury risk outweighs the benefits of this exercise

it gives me a great delt pump but also really sore cuffs and im actually decently mobile way more than the average person

the overhead presses I see in my gym are terrible
>rotator cuff snappening wide grip combined with only going to forehead level ROM
>same thing as mentioned but BTN, to test their poor shoulders even further
>honorable mention: split stance for stabilization, as local PTs seem to like teaching

>Because it causes shoulder impingement
But does it? Or is this one of those many assertions that everyone just accepted?

Nah it's lower now. Not by much though. OHP should be about 75kg (did 70 for 3)

for most people it does if done long enough

just like doing tricep extensions, it causes problems long term

>just like doing tricep extensions
What is a good alternative to those? Need some tricep assistence to improve my bench but those fuck my elbows.

close grip bench or dips, or just more pressing in general

shit genetics

I did them for a year after lifting for 6 months with no problems during or after

Idiots who repeat everything they hear on the internet, mainly.

BTNP back in the day was the first press style generally recommended for a novice (and a typical beginner program, for instance the York Courses, would have you do it at 1x10-15)... and it was recommended primarily because it is in fact very good for shoulder mobility.

BTNP Snatch Grip style (i.e. Kolkov's) have little to no risk of snapping your rotator cuff into a million pieces because - if anyone here had actually tried them - the style limits how much weight you can use because it's uncheatable. You'll be using much less weight than your OHP so there is much lower chance of injury (which, coincidentally, is very low anyway.) It's a great exercise for initial drive, though seated OHP (i.e. as you would do it strictly standing with a barbell but seated) is much better.

>dis shit comes from someone who OHP's 117kg with no backbend @ 85kg & no anabolics

>6 months
>OHP 70 kg x 3
You are lying or doing push presses. Probably both.

Your bench should be about 130 kilos at that OHP.

Worth noting that the bar path is also significantly straighter than in a front shoulder press.

Are you benching 3x week? If not you'll likely get more benefit from doing that first than any access. tricep exercise.

Heavy bench/close grip/90% of heavy may be another option for you.

some people are strong

I can bench 170 kilos after 3 and half years of training and even I call bullshit on that. Granted my OHP is rather weak compared to bench. My best OHP is 82,5 kg x 5.

>BTNP Snatch Grip style
That's the conclusion I reached too. There's no fucking way you can get injured on that unless you're doing some seriously retarded shit.

Causes shoulder impingement over time
That's actually not true, snatch grip is easier on the shoulder than a normal grip. It requires less shoulder mobility and due to the reduced upward travel of the humerus the risk for impingement is greatly reduced.

Overall, anons should do regular OHP and snatch grip BTN press, mobility permitting. Snatch grip BTN press is fantastic for mid delts and will aid in regular OHP progression

Most people lack the mobility for a strong overhead position which can cause impingement in a compromised position.

trap bar ohp is vastly superior. it hits lateral delts similarly because of the perfectly vertical bar path and is much easier on shoulders than any other type of ohp due to the neutral grip.

I do it, but I believe I have exceptional mobility, but even so I never really go heavy.

BTNP is actually safer than a standard OHP when it comes to lifetime injury analysis

>inb4 site ur sorce

find it yourselfes

There's nothing wrong with them if you have sufficient mobility and flexibility.

However, if you have shitty shoulder mobility, bad posture, or you aren't flexible, you can fuck your shoulders up. If you're the guy who bench presses all day and consequently has forward rounded shoulders and a tight chest, stay away.

Another thing to note is doing stuff like this can perforate your rotator cuff, which don't result in any discomfort but will fuck your shit up over time.

talk a bit about your training please.
progression, frequency, assistance work etc

I stalled so hard at 82,5-85 despite micro loading