THE PRESS STANDING BENCH PRESS EDITION

What do you think of Rip's new standing bench press video?
youtube.com/watch?v=2pQZNGdkVck

Pretty impressive

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3nJrYPVJ88M
instagram.com/p/BYGcWO2FWIo/?taken-by=jordan_barbellmedicine
instagram.com/p/BR_OqpUgNF1/?taken-by=jordan_barbellmedicine
instagram.com/p/BID5Dmrgv3A/?taken-by=jordan_barbellmedicine
twitter.com/AnonBabble

beautiful form

youtube.com/watch?v=3nJrYPVJ88M

>new
You're a faggot with no appreciation for the history of lifting.

Let me know when your discs fly out so we can play Frisbee

Just snap my shit up

Does the guy have an entire crew following him around and taking pictures of his life?
I'd be jealous.

I'm getting hurt even by pressing 75lbs, this shit seems suicidal.

This is actually a really good excercise for those who have grown tired of the ordinary working spine.

People always talk about deadlifts being snap city for deadlift but if done correctly there is no shear force to spine

This. This is truly a first class ticket. Spine not only bent, but bent backwards, with weight coming at it at an angle instead of vertically. Disaster.

The reason they took traditional ohp/military press out of strength sports way back in the day was because of excessive leaning back being terrible.

how do they justify this? Rip is losing it....
There is no benefit to this lift besides ego lifting. A strict form OHP will hit the delts and arms, and a flat bench will hit the chest. This is just a more chest focused overhead movement

This, first fucking BUISNESS VIP EXCLUSIVE FIRST EATS class ticket to Snap City.

This is the reason why they took the OHP out of the olympics

Now you're just being a faggot

that bending moment tho

powerlifters have a hard on for all compound exercises and will defend them even if they fuck your shit up

>I Hate My Spine
>The Story of the Dumbest Lift Ever

> everyone critiquing it probably can't even rep 1pl8 overhead

Except compounds have some semblance of a natural movement, including the strict press, this is just putting yourself INTENTIONALLY at risk, no different from those stupid fucking crossfit cleans.

anyone else on Starting Snaps?

Is this exercise good for my cheliped-gains? Any good carapace exercises to go w/it?

pic related current body, training for 3 days natty

Snap City?

No.

We are heading to Snap Planet.

On one hand, it's a perfect example of the olympic press. On the other hand, it's a perfect example of why the olympic press was removed

A healthy spine is a damaged spine.

>they took out ohp due to this and not due to politics and difficulty to judge the movement
Brainlets

>"spines ? No where we are lifting we dont need spines"

Lift with your back in a jerky motion and twist!

>guy is ohping their bench
>but muh spine
>proceeds to bench with no safeties and thinks a spotter will save him if the bar slips
This board is embarrassing

olympic press in OP and push press allows for the same weight (proof: see ratios of old school heavyweight records vs. e.g. klokov pp-cj ratio), BUT the push press is much easier to learn. Rip's a retard for replacing the vertical strict press with a semi-horizontal olympic (bench) press. Guess he wants more carryover to PL with an additional benching accessory löl

R u a grill

Ahh, the elusive benchless bench

also leling at drones saying that this style of pressing is somehow harder than a simple push press, on this one I'm rather taking advice from pendlay than rip. Speaking of pendlay, Rip also teaches improper pendlay row form

The style is harder than push press that is a fact.

Yeah it's pretty hard to push press when you are in a wheel chair

>I'm getting hurt even by pressing 75lbs

thats so fucking pathetic and weak kek

at worst, you can do 95% of your push press with this style. WR for this movement is/was ~230 while push press is ~240. At lower weights, the difference is negligible

Ebin got em

10kg is not negligible. Especially when talking wr tier.

It hurts in the lower back, I can press more but I'm just scared. Switched to seated DB press.

difficulty to judge the movement particularly because people arched their backs so much

10 kg at WR level scales down to negligible at anything before elite tier

Why not strict form standing DB press I find it much harder to bend the back with dumbbells than barbell even standing.

natty form

I agree with Rip on a lot of things, but making this video was a mistake. I think it's intended for advanced lifters who want to try this technique while competing. Kids and internet retards will claim this is how he wants everyone to perform the lift. There's nothing wrong with a little bit of layback, but this looks absolutely silly and will be dangerous to inexperienced lifters attempting to emulate it.

And this is the man who's program gets endlessly shilled on here...

If OHP is hurting your lower back you need a stronger core.

Your lower back shouldn't have any pressure on it at all and if it does that means you are leaning back which means your abs aren't strong enough to compensate for the weight without you either leaning forward and falling or leaning backward and putting strain on the spine

While you are doing OHP it should feel exactly like you are doing a plank.

Kids always misinterpret his shit it's nothing new e.g if you're obese and doing SS Rip wants you on GOMAD
He had older video with Tommy suggs this is just an update.

And ? Not due to injury.

Not how it works you're a bit stupid aren't you?

Competing where...? The strict OHP isnt done anywhere in any sport. Strongman has an OHP but any technique is allowed so long as the bar is locked out overhead so this is useless there too.

>try this technique while competing
While competing in WHAT?
In both weightlifting and strongman events you can just clean and jerk the weight, AFAIK.

udder mathematical perfection

squeeze your glutes

They have SQ/OHP/DL competitions. Rip hosts his own version of that and doesn't allow sumo pulls.

phys degree and mensa member, frog off faglord. Countless variables including it being out of training for half a decade are why the ceiling on olypress is probably even higher.

Choosing your working sets on push press @ 220 vs. olypresses at 210, the former is IMO better and the difference quite negligible. PP+strict press for vertical movement, ditch olypress

replacing bench with OHP makes it even more lower body dominant than powerlifting already is, the top competitors in "strengthlifting" are all going to be braphogs

someone has to stop rippetoe

strongman has some events where double dips aren't counted, but most of the time a hybrid push jerk is allowed. mentioned rule is why hafthor got kinda cucked at last WSM viking press event.
>goes muh sumo elitism (which i can understand)
>allows olympic pressing
contradicting smhtbhfam

Sounds pretty fun, do those competitions accept the double-layback but not the push press?
Otherwise there's no reason not to just push press it.

t. brainlet

t. brainlet

Try bracing your core more . Don't even stop flexing your abs when until your rerack the weight.

Or just drop that piece of trash exercice, OHP is a shit lift

What do you base it on being better? Pp you don't press till the bar is forehead level.

>mensa member

Nah. People lean back in the press due to weak medial deltoids and triceps. Leaning recruits the front delts and some of the pecs to share the load.

Oly lifters who don't train with strict press are a great example of why abs and upper back strength isn't the cause of leaning. Lifters with 400lb front squats and who can do full extension ab wheels for reps will still lean back at relatively light weights if they do not routinely strict press. If you don't have tricep and medial delt strength throughout the full ROM, you tend to lean.

what does the "t." mean?

>OHP is lower body movement
>braphogs
You don't lift and just come here for le fit culture and maymays don't you?

I can agree with this user, 100%. I didn't realize it for a while until one day I decided to record my presses for the first time. I was over extending my lower back because I wasn't squeezing my glutes. Focused on squeezing quads and glutes HARD(and I mean really hard), and it both felt and looked much much better.

The push press would also translate to the jerk better than the layback press

using legs is not allowed so you cant push press

actually most of them is p jacked

i would love to look like jordan oneday

instagram.com/p/BYGcWO2FWIo/?taken-by=jordan_barbellmedicine

instagram.com/p/BR_OqpUgNF1/?taken-by=jordan_barbellmedicine

instagram.com/p/BID5Dmrgv3A/?taken-by=jordan_barbellmedicine

and hes most famous ss coach right after rippetoe

what a waste of trips

the bench press is a far smaller percentage of the powerlifting total than the squat or the deadlift already, if you replace bench press with overhead press (which is going to be considerably lighter than bench) it will be such a small part of the "strengthlifting" total that upper body is barely relevant at all

the most dominant squatters and pullers will just own the competition completely (which they already mostly do in PL anyway)

you don't lift and just come here for le fit culture and maymays don't you?

The layback press is a compensation for that forehead level weakness in the strict OHP. Push press starts the press at the weakest position of the strict OHP using momentum to get the bar there so that less initial demand is place on the movers - delts, tricep, pec minor - until they have the demand placed on them at the forehead position. Layback press simply lays back when the bar reaches the forehead to put the body in a more favorable angle to move the bar further up. While they're both compensating methods for the weak point of OHP, one translates to a lot less of a risky position in failure conditions.

better is a hard word. Both are overloading exercises compared to an actual strict press, and both do bypass the sticking point at head level in some way. For someone not trying to compete in an olympic press event, there are better accessory exercises for vertical pressing. The push press is a good way to train your lockout past sticking point, supplemented with occasional partial ROM presses in the rack (forgot term). Bottom part can be overloaded with press starts, i.e. only doing the first part of the movement.

I dont think Feigenbaum or Baraki are fair examples. They're both much more advanced lifters applying much more advanced practices to their training. Assuming that SS or TM or Rippetoe's obsession with The Press is going to get you looking like them or as strong as them is a big mistake

Pin press is the assistance you're thinking of

im not doing ss, tm but I like some of rippetoe cues (deadlift mostly). Im RTS and Baraki/Jordan fan fag

the push press also a more athletic movement and way safer than this crap

yes, just as powerlifters do with the bench. It's individual training depending on what point of the movement is holding down your pressing numbers.

is feigenbaum roiding

They've called TM "bad programming" on the SS forum, and have their own intermediate template they call The Bridge. I've checked it out but idk if I want to try it. It has pin squats, pause squats, and beltless work that I'm not really interested in.

also agree. The layback press is rather a party trick and a feat of great technique if you can do it consistently without snapping your shit up.

he said he was on something called t (not tren or test) I dont honestly remember what it was but he said he did 2 months cycle and it was ok, he say hes clean for 2 years now

Baraki is clean

>simply lays back when the bar reaches the forehead
Where in the hell are you getting this crap have another a look at the video because you're imagining things.

Where has he stated that he's been on gear? I was under the impression that he was natty.

The oly press starts the pressing at the shoulders which point is it bypassing?

does he look natty to you in that first pic lmao

one of ig lives, we asked him about roids and he said that yes theyre usesful and i was on t(this stuff what name i forgot) for like 2 months and it helped me a lot

they sometimes give usesful cues on this lives him and Austin

look at the video again you clearly jerk it down and use the momentum to press it up and then you lean back and make it an incline press

TM is great for squats and not very good for much else. It does the thing that makes Rippetoe programs weak in the long term in that it desperately tries to keep the trainee at the minimum effective volume. Except that doesn't work very well at an intermediate level, especially for bench and OHP. There's modifications that can be made and work well on the 3x template, but the recent favor that has been given by the more successful SS coaches for the U/L TM format is a nice shift away from the didactic YNDTP cultism.
Aside from that, The Bridge program looks very cool, but it's also very abrupt. Jumping right into a full RPE based program right out of TM runs the liability of a solo trainee poorly judging their own RPE. rather, applying RPE to the volume portion of Texas method as well as its assistance is a very good way of branching past the intermediate level. I wouldn't be surprised if Baraki and Feigenbaum already assert applying RPE to TM

Well done user, I can't stop laughing

the oly press bypasses the mechanically unstable sticking point by turning the vertical press into a horizontal press almost until lockout before getting back into straight position with your back. Yes, you are technically doing a "press" of some kind all the way, but the hard part of a strict press is not the start, not the lockout, but rather the "middle" of the lift (sticking point can vary with your body proportions)

He's an elite level lifter with a thorough knowledge of biology, nutrition, and supplementation. He stays at a low body fat percentage and manages his diet meticulously. I'm not super shocked that he was on gear but if he claimed natty I would believe it. His body doesn't look outrageous like most frauds.

Why would you risk your back like this? If you want to bench press, just use a bench

>he fell for the starting strength meme

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Drop that shit routine and start doing a proper push/pull/legs

all that is irrelevant compared to your genetics

it's simply very very unlikely that he's that 0,01 % instead of being on roids

That was poorly explained. The layback in the press is meant to compensate for lack of power in the sticking point. Rather than grinding through the lift, the layback puts the person in a position similar to benching to involve more muscle to push it through. Which, while it aligns with the "philosophy" of Rippetoe of using as much muscle mass as possible, it also builds bad habits in regards to actually building a strong strict press. Basically both push press and layback press are designed to compensate for the weak point on OHP, but the push press keeps the lifter more upright while the layback goes down the same road of the olympics of sacrificing judgable form on the premise that it's still a press without leg drive.
Its really ironic because Rippetoe says don't worry about your bench weight, don't worry about your deadlift volume, but when it comes to Squatting and overhead pressing it becomes all about more weight and whatever compensation method it takes to put more up.

Dunno man I put on 80 kg on squat 100 on dl 50 in bench and 30 in 9 months on TM. However I did the 4 day template. The 3 day one was not enough for my upper body lifts.

I meant that first sentence in regard.to the default template; I should have clarified that. The 4 day template is excellent

I think the go to recommendation on SS forums for most people is HLM, not TM, but that runs into similar problems as well

if you restrict periodization to a week long scale and expect stress, recovery, and adaptation to occur on that timescale and no fatigue to be carried over from week to week (which it usually is anyway), that severely limits how much volume you can do

people (read: talentcucks) who need a small volume dose and recover quick will do well on that type of programming, a lot of people will spin their wheels

>people take advice from this guy

Why on earth would you introduce the chest musculature so much from such a fucking weak position? This is basically a 2plate bench this is not impressive for an experienced lifter. If you want lots of chest involvement and need free scapular movement do weighted dips, if you can't do weighted dips do weighted chin ups or pull ups to the chest or weighted/chains/band push ups. ffs this is the most retarded lift of all time. There's no reason to do this whatsoever. It's a weak and dangerous position to recruit the chest from.

>some 35-45 year old balding fatass pressing 2pl8 for reps and going home fine
>but muh back
Activates the almonds

t. newfag