/dental/ health thread

went to dentist for first time in maybe 2 years

did xrays and cleanings. no cavities but i brushed too hard. i need fillings to cover the very weak enamel. going next week :(

my teeth are getting a bit crooked and i can get braces if i wanted. should i get them because i know they're very expensive. not sure if my insurance will cover it. thoughts on invisalign?

feels bad man if you're reading this go to the dentist EVERY 6 months - you will regret not doing this

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B0167K56NM/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=&th=1
costco.com/Sensodyne-ProNamel-Gentle-Whitening-Toothpaste-6.5oz-(184.3g),-4-pack.product.100215530.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bumping for interest

How effective is flossing?

Haven't been in 3 years

very. do that shit. You wont have morning breath anymore if you floss once a night

toothbrush abrasion is real, niggas. you can wreck your teeth and permanently brush away your gums. ask your hygienist how to brush. mine recommended holding your toothbrush between only your thumb and pointer finger to avoid applying too much pressure. the stuff you're supposed to remove from your teeth is super soft. anything else on there, you need a cleaning to get rid of.

btw OP those teeth are likely veneers. most movie stars, celebrities, etc. or just randoms with incredibly perfect teeth had surgery and artificial tooth structure replacement done to get them. healthy teeth usually look significantly more "low key", even if they are whitened

Dentist here, it's very effective at getting rid of interproximal food devris (food stuck between your teeth) that may cause a bad smell and might be fermentef by bacteria on your teeth which will digest it and release acids and other stuff that will cause your teeth to become cavitated or become carious

I have to warn folks every time I hear about tooth health: soda will fuck your teeth. I had perfect teeth when I was younger, used to get mires and compliments all the time on how nice they were. Then in my early twenties I sat at a desk job and drank exactly one can of soda per day. I would just sip on it through my shift. The acid destroyed my enamel on about 10 teeth. When I notice a piece of tooth crumbled off while brushing, I went to the dentist. She told me it's because the acid was on my teeth for hours. She even told me I would have been better off to drink a whole twelve pack and rinse with water than to have one can of soda over eight hours.
Always remember to rinse with water after a soda, and don't sip on it for an extended amount of time. I would even recommend not drinking soda at all. You will save yourself thousands of dollars in enamel repairs and tons of embarrassing moments trying to hide your teeth every time you smile or laugh.

Yellow teeth, wat do? Should I mouthwash and floss regularly. Also what paste should I use

Yes, this.
I also have yellowish teeth, even though I brush and floss regularly. What am I doing wrong?

yeah from what i understand the best thing for your teeth is eating 3 meals per day, no snacks or drinks other than water in between. frequency and length of exposure to foods, especially sugary/acidic ones, is killer

My teeth are crooked, but I'm poor as fuck.
How can I afford braces cheaply?

Do you guy's toungescrape? I think It's kinda beneficial

i'm not sure how to whiten your teeth without consulting a dentist, but make sure you don't brush too hard (especially with whitening toothpastes, which are usually extra abrasive) to try and whiten your teeth. you don't want op's problem in addition

That makes a lot of sense to me now. I wish I had known about the acid when I was younger. Parents, school all told me brush after meals and I would be fine. It's not fucking true. I had so many first dates that were last dates because of my teeth. It was an instant killer for attraction, always trumped everything else the girl was attracted to.

Feelsgoodman. Love the tongue scrape.

>broke front teeth in an accident
>dental implants are fucking expensive
I'm never gonna make it bros. No matter how aesthetic I get having no front teeth ruins it.

>tfw really good teeth
Dentists always say I make their day when I come in for a check up.

yeah, i wish i was a lot more educated on teeth when i was younger as well after having some cavities and gum issues. but the best we can do is do better going forward. if i'm not crazy, i think that my teeth are looking a bit shinier and whiter after cutting my fruits down to a normal amount, eating a lot more dairy (like 4 servings per day, might be excessive), and eating only 3 times per day.

Yes or no, bros? Invisalign? A lot of girls told me they love it. I can't smile because since I was a kid I was afraid to show my gap. I physically can't smile. This and my penis are the only two things left that I'm self conscious about

Get braces holy shit.

buy cheap whitening stripes, they literally do the same as the expensive ones dentists sells. brush your teeth after every meal and after drinking coffee, soda, wine and smoking. tips from an ex alcoholic, that smokes and drinks a lot of coffee with white teeth

Cosplay as Gappy from JoJo's

I haven't been to the dentist in like 4-5 years and brush 1-2 times a day. My teeth are a little yellow I guess but so are everyone's.

My teeth have never hurt / can drink or ear cold foods no issue. Should I make an appointment?

yes, i would go every 6 months for check-ups. you can develop problems that get much worse with time, even if you don't get cavities. if you eat a Veeky Forums approved diet you might not have any issues, but if you fall out of the habit of going to the dentist you're at risk if you go through a period of life stress and start eating badly or drinking or something (happened to me)

Probably will now
Chek'd

also from what i understand it's important to get cleanings done every 6 months if you are prone to gum disease at all to avoid periodontitis/bone loss. i apparently had super mild perio without even getting any cavities

easier to use then floss

go to the a dental college/university - it's super cheap. you get your xrays cleaning and fillings for sometimes less than half. it's done by a student but an actual dentist supervises

maybe try google your area and low cost dentistry and see if there's some shit that could help

breh seriously get it checked. better to blow your money on the dentist than a new laptop phone or some shit

Regular braces = cheaper and more effective (faster to correct)

Check'd
How much faster? I'll feel righteously goofy with over the teeth braces. Also would I be going to the dentists as often as Invisalign? Basically I'm asking for a quick rundown, bog

I had a roommate do Invisalign so this is what I know:
>they get a mold done of your teeth
>send to invisalign poeple
>send dentist a bunch of trays
>wear each one for a couple weeks
>go to dentist a lot more to see progress
>may not even work 100%
>will say it take x period of months but it might get extended to logner

You're paying a lot more mate and it might not be as effective. I'd just go for the regular braces

OP here I'm 20

Dentist recommended I get braces but said it's not that bad. He said as I get older it'll most likely get worse

Should I get the braces now? I'm have about 3k

>braces

nah m8, save your money desu. i'd say yea if you had huge gaps in your teeth, but your imperfections are largely unnoticeable.

Don't forget the importance of flossing in regard to the prevention of gingivitis.
Also people need to be made aware of the correct angle they should be brushing at.
I see too many people brushing flat on their teeth instead of at a 45 degree angle, hitting the gumline correctly.

>A lot of girls told me they love it
Is this a meme?

i would get them. it will suck but once they are off you will be happy you did it. also judging by your individual teeth you would have a fantastic smile after braces

Those teeth are pretty jacked alignment wise. But since you don't have gaps I wouldn't bother.

Get the fuck off fit mac demarco

I got braces when I was 16, now after 2 years and 5 months I'm going to get them taken out next week. I'm excited and scared, they've become a part of me, even though they're mostly a nuisance I've gotten too used to them. It's like loving someone so much and then finding out they're actually assholes and were acting like the perfect mate to just use you until they got bored.

Twice a week i brush with bakeing soda and hydrogen peroxide for 3 minutes timed and then a minute with whitening mouth wash.
Was a 15 year smoker and coffee drinker

Im sure your top whose cum u guzzle will be happy

Stop smoking guys, i smoked a copious amount of ganja in the past ~5 years (im in europe so it's usually tobacco mixed spliffs), kind of fucked my self conciousness regarding dental health.
Even the dentist say it's not too noticable but I can't really look in the mirror or look at old photos of me without thinking that I permanently fucked up my teeth.

Can flossing ever be bad for you, yanking them loose or something? My teeth are really fucking close together and it's really hard get it out from between some of them.

You do it gently bro

I try, but it still takes so much force to get it back out for some of them.

Keep doing it you can buy really thin floss too

If you have to drink soda, use a straw.

The straw will transport the soda directly to your tongue most of the time than through your teeth without a straw.

Advice works for fruit juice as well.

Don't use mouthwash.

Gargle and rinse and spit with saltwater instead.

This is what dentists tell you to do after any oral surgery on your teeth or gums.

my teeth would look like that if I whitened them. I got lucky with teeth genetics and braces make them perfect whiteners are expensive though

Some toothbrushes have "tongue scrapes" on the back of the head and I find those less harsh on my tongue than an actual tonguescraper.

Don't think I've seen that before, I should look for it. Any particular brand?

>not that bad
Jesus fuck americans are used to this kind of teeth?
is dental care this expensive on freedom?

Make sure to wear retainers after they take your braces off.

Like only around 20 percent of people don't need retainers after taking off their braces while 80 percent do.

You will be surprised on how several years later, people who took off their braces but never bothered to wore their retainers, had their teeth slowly become crooked again.

Read about history of denitstry in America.

It sounds like a scam because according to insurance, your eyes and teeth are separate from your body and it's just cosmetics even though oral health is linked with the body.

>be me
>5 ~ 8 y/o dont know
>bullying a retarded kid
>he slams my face into a table
>it makes one of my front tooth get fucked
>the milk tooth falls
>the normal one comes and its yellow and weird
>my dentist tells me to get over it
>low self esteem during my childhood
>use bracers
>my gum is pretty weak too
>i hate my self
>my dentist is a whore who always gets mad at me for not taking care of my gum the right way
>change dentist at 17
>on first day she literally fix my fucked tooth in 20 minutes

I almost killed myself.

Don't buy floss. Most people don't know how to use them properly or don't have the patience.

Buy PLACKERS Dental Flossers Gentle Fine 90 Each (Pack of 12) sold by Pharmapacks.

These are unflavored as well. I find them much easier to use than regular floss which by the way is getting harder to find any floss that is unflavored.

amazon.com/dp/B0167K56NM/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=&th=1

I bought 12 packs of floss because it saved me the most money on Amazon.

Did invisalign in my mid 20s. Best decision I ever made. Never had braces growing up and my teeth were crooked. ~16 months later I get compliments on my smile...good feeling

buy a stainless-stell tounge scraper for 5-10$
You have them a live long and they are the best way to clen the tounge.

You will be disgusted what you will scrap off the back of your tounge.....

>Regular braces = cheaper and more effective
Completely wrong!

Braces would have taken me 2.5 years, Invisalign took me 15 months.

My teeth are like this dude but gaps between all upper teeth, once had a girl drunk dial me with her friends after a date and say it was perfect but that she couldn't date me cause of my ugly teeth.

I have a gf somehow but I literally cannot even look into the mirror and talk without cringing at myself. It's caused me sever depression and self-esteem issues, saving up for any type of braces because anything is better than this.

Would literally prefer to put on 200lbs overnight than have these teeth.

brushing with peroxide? and or baking soda?
does anyone have experience with this?
is it harmful?

just get arm & hammer toothpaste instead

Fuck man, I also never went to dentist or had braces, but I plan on getting them when I graduate uni

I'm 28, don't have a few of my teeth already, the rest is black as fuck, I don't have two upper left front teeth, visible if I'd smile too wide. Also, one of my front teeth is a little chipped. And one of my front lower teeth grew out skewed.

I know I'm fucked and probably won't have anything left in 5 or 10 years. I'm scared of visiting a dentist, since last time I was there, he said they'd have to probably pull out a lot of my teeth if I wanted a few of the other ones to survive, and even then it'd be a long fight. And filling so many holes with implants wouldn't be possible, and even so would cost more than my life is worth.

I'm fucked either way and just wanna kill myself once I see my teeth are done for good.

>invisalign
Worthless. Takes forever and you have to go in all the time

that's fucked up, fuck that hoe

You know nothing. Invisalign is quicker than traditional braces. And you have to go into the office every 2-3 months. Regular braces need to have bands tightened and shit regularly. Invisalign they just give you a month or 2 worth of new trays, and you're done.

i saw one dentist online say she thinks baking soda/peroxide can cause gum recession but she has quite unorthodox opinions

Don't do that. Baking soda can damage your teeth even more than regular toothpaste.

My preferred toothpaste brand is Sensodyne Pronamel

costco.com/Sensodyne-ProNamel-Gentle-Whitening-Toothpaste-6.5oz-(184.3g),-4-pack.product.100215530.html

I always buy the 4 pack from Costco. It's SLS-free and also sugar free because most toothpaste if you look at the ingredients has sugar listed but this does not.

Best bang for your buck and I really like it is SLS-free because the majority of SLS free toothpaste I consider hippie brands since they also removed the fluoride from their SLS free toothpaste while Sensodyne Pronamel keeps the fluoride.

Reminder to always get a second opinion on dental related issues.

Never completely fully trust your first dentist.

Also, dental medical board for your State is available online.

Make sure you not only google your dentist's name but also look up their dental practice/license history on your state's dental board page to see if anybody ever filed any lawsuit against them or if they violated any practices or laws.

This advice works for any medical professional as well.

Thanks, I'll give them a go.

This, I didn't wear my retainer and now my teeth are literally exactly the way they were before I got braces. It's like I never even had them in the first place. I'll never not be pissed at myself for that.

I have perfect teeth from 10+ years of dentistry and 20k + spent on them, but I look retarded when I smile, what do ?

Nice photoshopped pick dickwad.

Permanent Retainers vs Removable Retainers after braces

What do you guys reccemend/

Any dentists here?
I have fucking braces
Flossing sucks with those things, even with superfloss.
Toothpicks are being blocked by the wires

Would one of those electric waterflossers do well?

Havnt been to a dentist since 1 root canal at 15, mom never took me back to finish. 4 molars gone now, wisdom grew in now I'm 27 and scared to visit. The pain though, much worse then ripping out pieces of teeth, got a few pieces I'll need to remove in a few years.

daily reminder that brushing your teeth is a meme invented by Jews

cont

They don't lie about the suicidal pain this causes, get it checked.

who /functional wisdom teeth/ here?

>lie, the post

I'm doing smiledirectclub right now. Only like 1200 bucks and no dentist visits. All by mail. Piece of cake.

>step one: eat a bunch of food (sugar, refined grains) that feed the bacteria that eat your enamel and teeth away
>step two: brush your teeth with abrasive chemicals that kill these bacteria that hu
>step three: repeat forever

Karma is a bitch

all 4 wisdom teeth, no impaction
yeah nigga yeah

Feels good my man. Hope the top ones don't go full retard when they finally decide to drop.

Same

It's a shame that you typically get braces when you're a dumbass teenager. I was so relieved to get my braces off finally that I didn't wear my retainer nearly as much as I should have.

would you have recommended the built in retainers/

Really glad I got braces when I was a kid. I'm in my 30s now and my teeth are straight as fuck. If I could just cut back on the coffee so they wouldn't stain I'd be set

It broke hard enough to need an extraction? I've got two broken molars from a bicycle crash, but the fractures missed the nerve/pulp/whatever's inside so I've got what amount to giant fillings bonded to the remaining teeth.

Got some links? I'm not even in America and we have that shit, public dental is sometimes more expensive than private despite months-long waits.

Kek

>JUST

Never going to get braces though, way too expensive and i am already 22 years old. inb4 American, i am Canadian. Dental is not socialized here and is expensive as fuck.

i'm the same kek. get braces m8. worth it

tfw I'm 22 and spending literally all the money I've made this and the previous summer and my scholarship on braces and veneers
I hope I won't fucking regret it

Is it really that bad, i use to be self conscious about the shitty teeth i posted but whatever. Really not worth fucking around with them, they are healthy and fine. Why veneers bro, my sister is a dental hygienist and she says most people regret them and why wreck your natural enamel and teeth. Just get braces to get them straight desu.