Are sumo deadlifts a meme?

Are sumo deadlifts a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YgHNtzxO0y8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Deadlifts in general are a meme

No, which way you should deadlift all has to do with your segmentation, internal leverages and hip anatomy.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my part to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

I've been experimenting for the last couple of weeks, sumo's definitely feel smoother and like quicker lifts than regular, it's just a struggle to get it off the ground but after that it's easy.

Its not a meme per say. Just frowned upon.

Conventional makes you look more badass and requires a lot more posterior chain activation/strength.

Sumo really just depends on hip mobility and grip. Maybe adductor strength that's about it.

its not a meme, its an exercise

So if I'm not a powerlifter and I'm just someone who wants to be big and strong do I stick to conventional?

Thanks for keeping our board clean user!

>Conventional makes you look more badass
Wow yes user that is most certainly the reason I do diddles at the gym
If you want to be big and strong you should just juice anyway, you'll get more muscle not lifting and juicing than you do lifting

Yep, as soon as you see someone pull more than you with sumo you have to go to Veeky Forums and call it a meme.

No problem at all! I'm just doing my part!

"quicker" sumo is slower than conventional

test

5'10 here, sumo feels weird as fuck, i can't do more than 3 and a half plate without fucking up form. I can go over 4 plates on conventional and jefferson deadlift is the easiest of them.

technically, every idea that is passed on is a meme

Hi there newfriend!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my part to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

This.

deathlifting in general is a meme enjoy your ticket to snap city all because you wanted to impress some homosexuals on 4chin with lul4plate

Johnny keep your damn shoes on at my MAC gym.

i've memed around with sumo on alt stance day and all i can think about is not canditoing myself and smashing my foot

They're fine, they're a deadlift. A little more glute and leg involvement and a little less erector (pretty minor changes for both), and probably a little more spine-sparing than conventional for most people.

>4pl8 = snapback

lmoaa

yes, its for ego lifters who can't properly deadlift so they try this meme faggotry to look cooler. Everyone I've ever seen doing sumos always makes a point to slam the shit out of the bar too

sumop pullers always scare me having the plates so close to their toes.

Case in point Candito broke his foot by landing the bar on his toes after a failed attempt

no. you should do both.

nobody is special unless you have fucking scoliosis or something.

you CAN and probably SHOULD try to do both, or at least, if you do do sumo, you should do conventional too.

I don't really see a point in doing them. you lift less weight than conventional and they unnecessarily put emphasis on the inner thigh muscles, so your legs will eventually rub against each other when you walk

>you lift less weight than conventional
Says who you mong?

look up world records or maybe try deadlifting once

they are easier

What's the point of deadlifts? Are they actually bad for your back? I thought their whole point was to strengthen your back?...

Conventional deads are fucking stupid, quit them years ago.

Sumos are king.

Nice meme.

They are certainly not a back exercise, rather some shitty version of half repped squats.

>mixed grip

Another meme

from Jim Wendler
>Question: I find myself to be significantly stronger deadlifting sumo than traditional. Is it a problem to exclusively deadlift sumo? Will I miss out on something traditional only provides?
>Answer: Not at all – you are picking the barbell off the ground. In the big picture, it won’t matter.

pick the one you like and get strong at it

>he think deadlifts are a back exercise

nothing quite screams "i'm a vain, weak little bitch who absolutely MUST take the low road whenever possible" like sumo "deadlifts".

that this total pussy is using mixed grip makes amplifies how much of a bitch he is that much more.

>one retard getting responded to by another retard

it's cute how NEITHER of them realize how uneducated and downright stupid they look.

they will wreck your knees

is your conventional deadlift max over 500lbs or under 500lbs?

oh. ok.

>two contrarian points of view, they both wrong

Yeah no. Definitely not. If your leverages suit one style of lifting more than another, there's no need to switch and you'd actually get 0 benefits from having done so. If your leverages favor you to pull sumo over conventional, you wouldn't get any benefits whatsoever from pulling conventional on the side, and in fact, you'd have a higher chance of injury if you're unable to be comfortable in that position. Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. Read a book on exercise science or human anatomy and physiology

The primary mover in a deadlift is almost entirely leg strength (assuming you have proper form and aren't deadlifting with a catback). When you're holding the weight at the top, the weighted stretch builds the shit out of your traps and upper back.

>deeuhh everybody has the same leverages and therefore anyone that can't pull conventional is a faggot
how's your first week of lifting going, buddy?

>nothing quite screams "i'm a vain, weak little bitch who absolutely MUST take the low road whenever possible" like sumo "deadlifts".
are you really retarded enough to think that all the world top deadlifts are done conventional instead of sumo because the contestants don't want to "take the low road"?

over. stay mad and jealous, weak pussy.

nice projection, dumb ass. keep on living in denial over your bitch boy sumo dog shit, squirt.

>this impotent rage fueled strawman
0/10. grow up and get a clue, uneducated faggot.

do you even know what strawman means, kid?

>i don't know what something means, so i'll try to trick my superior into explaining it for me

0/10, retard. you're not slick. keep on bitching for me, though. i'm not done laughing at you.

this thread is proof of how far sumo fags will go to defend their pathetic lift

it was a rhetorical question, idiot. I've never seen so much desperation in a post

Do whichever variant feels most natural to you. Great leg/core exercise no matter which style you choose.

really makes me think

What makes somebody better at sumo than conventional that is easily observable? Proportions?

>backpedaling THIS hard

get a load of THIS pissed off little shit everybody.

this is a blueboard newfag

Old fag

did it make you ponder?

I miss this picture, it reminds me of my days of lurking /b/ back in 2008. I guess it really says something when goatse makes me feel nostalgic.

Incase anyone needs the big man Tyrone version to help understand
youtu.be/YgHNtzxO0y8

Nope

If you've had a back injury(mine was from a car accident) then sumo might be all you're pulling for quite some time

I feel lucky that I've healed up enough to pull conventional again, but it irritates my back to do it as more than pump work.

I'm about to switch to sumo t b h f a m. I seriously hate deadlifting so fucking much, I want to like it but it's my weakest lift and I do mobility work 4 times a week and still can't control my lower back rounding. I thought maybe I was doomed to never being able to fix it so I tried sumo and felt like a retard. I really don't want to sumo, but I hate going to the gym and anticipating a shitty lift because my form breaks down in conventional. How to fix lower back rounding? I understand upper rounding is okay but when I go heavy it's like my hips shoot straight up and my lower back rounds terribly

agreed

Romanian deadlift masterrace reporting in

You were the only fucker in this thread not too involved in the whole dickmeasuring thing man.

but it's not really about leverages, it's about hip structure

plenty of sumo pullers actually train conventional during most of the year (Ed Coan only trained sumo the few weeks before a meet, other than that he pulled conventional in training), and Chad Wesley Smith always has his lifters use conventional deadlifts for hypertrophy blocks even if they pull sumo in competition

sumo is a great lift. I pull heavy sumo, and lighter with conventional, usually from a deficit.
depends on your goals and leverages. though.