This just came in the mail. Learning a lot. PPST should be required reading for anyone who wants to get stronger

This just came in the mail. Learning a lot. PPST should be required reading for anyone who wants to get stronger

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/RiXEg5L1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>just came in the mail
>Learning a lot

pick one you f*cking melon

>just came in the mail
>should be required reading

fucking pseud

>not downloading the pdf and knowing rip will forgive you because your money is better spent buying gallons of milk

I'm actually 50 pages in and know mich more than when I started.

Granted I'm not finished. But most of the book is for intermediate and advanced lifters. I'm only mid-novice (squatting 190 3x5) so I'm actually quite a ways in considering what's relevant. Plus, it's the clearest explanation of bio-physiology with respect to lifting I've encountered. Would you not agree this is a seminal text in the strength training canon? If not, what others would you recommend?

honestly, I'm just giving you shit here lad, Good you're learning the proper way and not just going by what Veeky Forums says.

>>not downloading the pdf and knowing rip will forgive you because your money is better spent buying gallons of milk

Can't find the latest edition in pdf :(

RTS manual, destroy the opposition, Sheiko's work, Lyle McDonald's work. Literature by real top level competitors and coaches of real top level competitors. I challenge you to name one thing that's novel or useful in the entire book that isn't common knowledge; things everyone who writes a program should already know. I sure as hell couldn't when I forced myself to go through it.

Also whatever tickles your fancy in here, you can find a some of the stuff I mentioned here also including I'm pretty sure a (((rare))) photocopied copy of the RTS manual since Mike T never released an electronic version because he didn't want people to steal it.

pastebin.com/RiXEg5L1

Rippetoe never trained any succesful athlete past the novice stage. He never trained any succesful elite athletes...
Only newbie faggots buy into his bullshit.

If you want to get strong, follow real strength coaches who actually have credentials to show for.

And if you want to get jacked and big avoid Rippetoe by all costs.

>what others would you recommend?
The Bridge (free pdf from Feigenbaum and Baraki)
Scientific Principles of Strength Training
RTS Manual
Art of Lifting
Muscle and Strength Pyramid

All of these are fairly easy reads and contain a lot of practical recommendations. If you want more dry stuff, Zatsiorsky would be a good intro.

Thanks. I don't find fit very useful desu. Sometimes a few people seems to know what they're doing but I think most of the people on here are procrastinating or generally sort of lost. Sometimes I'll get insightful answers to questions regarding diet or lifting form, but most of the advice here is blatant garbage or trolling.

Thanks man. I'll look into all of those. However I think your standard for what constitutes common knowledge is too high. I get that most people consider SS and PPST to be meme literature and would rather be contrary to what on strength training is lately becoming the orthodox, but I really don't think more than 10% of the contents of the book falls under common knowledge (pic related, sorry if it ends up sideways). If it were, then the average person would probably be much stronger. As for "novel" content, I don't think the uniqueness of information is really relevant in biomechanics. Something either works or it doesn't. That's just my $0.02. My sincere thanks again for the suggestions

Thanks a lot man

Nice dubs. Chase Lindley presses 315lbs at 220something bodyweight though. That's not novice.

Not being contrarian. Just don't need 34 pages to define a novice followed by 65 pages to define an intermediate. 11 pages to explain what an upper/lower routine is? Surely you already know this. And considering you're going to spend the majority of your uninformed lifting life as an intermediate, it's utterly stupid that the book provides only one approach to intermediate training when it is literally the only stage that a lifter can find multiple approaches written by multiple coaches which work for them. While you're a novice, there's not many different ways you can organise the same 6 lifts. Once you're advanced, training has to become much more personalised. If you ever plan on competing, read through ch 8, because periodization, peaking and tapering are important, but for a book called "practical programming" it seriously lacks the content required to teach you how to program your own routine in a practical situation. Following the TM template doesn't count as programming. Anyway, I could write an essay explaining why almost everything in the book is basic as fuck, but I asked you to pick one so that I wouldn't have to write 2k words.

(bump for interest)

315 layback press ~ 325 push press ~ 250 strict press with usual ratios on the lifts. Still, a predicted 250 press at 220s is amazing nonetheless

anyone got the RTS online classroom videos??

I see your point but in fairness the book covers TM, the split routine model and the Starr model (with possible variations applying to each) so to say it contains only one approach is a bit of an oversimplification, no? I can't comment with a good conscience on what's not "basic" in this book because I haven't read enough of other books to compare it to. It seems that "basic" is just a matter of personal experience also. From what I've read so far, the book is full of both basic and nuanced information (nuanced being defined as detailed).

Are the splits not just TM variations? Fairly sure they are. Upper/lower, volume day, heavy day, repeat indefinitely etc. If you want to utilise Starr's 5x5 program for non oly lifts, you should familiarise yourself with Madcow 5x5, although I hate to call it 5x5 since it is technically just one top set of 5. Much more concise and you don't have to pay for it since it was originally posted for free on a forum. Like I said in my first post, I define basic as things that are intuitive or literally in every single program. Stuff like splits, the fact that you need more accessory work as an intermediate, the fact that you progress slower as an intermediate than novice, etc. The book is a really long winded, utterly boringly written documentation of the obvious. Yes, TM is a good routine, but you'd do much better to read the TM book or the powerlifting to win article on it.

>Rippetoe never trained any succesful athlete past the novice stage.
Rippetoe has trained plenty of kids that got in to professional football careers. I am pretty sure he trained a few lifters that competed at olympic levels in weight lifting. They have pictures of them in the SS gym.

actually a stupid and really simplified book. science and practice of strength training is a lot better, more in depth and not dumbed down for brainlets to read

hi Alex

>actually a stupid and really simplified book
Simplified is what most people need. Even strong people. Leave the long version to the nerds (like you and me).

Not gonna lie to you op, you either reduce your knowledge to this piece of crap or read something else and realize how bad it is.

Absolutely untrue.