Is the bar supposed to touch your chest?

Is the bar supposed to touch your chest?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L_CTp7H7bK4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes

Yes dumbass

Yes. But dont bounce it off your chest, and dont rest it.

Yes you fucking retarded jew?

>"is it okay to be a pussy a do half a lift?"
the post

No, it's okay to go an inch or two above your chest. Remember, it's not about the ROM, it's about the weight. The heavier the weight, the more gains because your body has to push more. Full ROM is just for purist elitist egolifters

No. Do what feels comfy for you. Don't listen to all the dyels here.

Full ROM is for those faggots who want to "progress"

while I touch my chest i wonder about muh "ellbows parallel" topic since i appereantly go below parallel with touching.

Resting is fine but bouncing isn't.

yes

don't listen to these people, if you want to powerlift, then yes, but if you want to be lifting in your 40s go to parallel

When did you all shitheads become powerlifters?

Only fat powerlifters care if the barbel touch the chest.

If you want to keep your muscles under tension (which is the best thing for aesthetics) you should stop the bar few CMs before it touch your chest.

No, go a bit past perpendicular and you're good. Torn rotators await you if you go to your chest, especially if you don't maintain 70-80 degrees of angle between your arms and chest.

powerlifting is the purest sport

ITT we pretend like we can only do one of the things mentioned here instead of all of them.

Yeah, I hate those idiots. They keep increasing their weight every few sessions, some of them almost every week. Stupid fucks, aren't they?

Why would you want to keep your muscles under tension the whole time? Are you actually believing the meme it would somehow increase the muscle growth? topkek, then you may as well don't do benchpress and only go for machines and do HIT

Spoto press is a legit powerlifting accessory though

I've got nothing against the sport, but if you actually want to look good, you should aim for aesthetics. I've never seen a strong powerlifter looking aesthetic. They are all fat pieces of shit.

Nigga there is a difference between "just lifting the weights" and actually training your muscle

People love Dumbell presses on here, but those can go even deeper than chest level and people say that's a good thing.

But then yal can't make up your minds when it comes to 'bar to chest'?

But does it count if it only touches the headphone wire that's on my chest?

The thing with the dumbell press deeper than the chest level, is that even then, the chest muscles are still contracted.

When you touch the bar on your chest, the muscle contraction stops, and you just rest the bar on your chest.

No, it should go low enough that you can't hear your music, it should cut off the flow of electrons

Yes, but don't do pic related
it's called suicide grip for a reason

Only true lifters touch the chest. The rest are using shitty form

>No, it's okay to go an inch or two above your chest.

i found the weak little bitch who can't bench for shit everybody.

Powerlifting is a weight class sport, you haven't seen an aesthetic power lifter because all you've seen of powerlifters are superheavyweight meme fatties in Veeky Forums

those fucking electrons, I have pretty thick cord on headphones and some of them still pass, hearing those single electrons carrying distorted pieces of music makes me fucking angry

A good cue is "Touch the shirt, not the chest"

>Resting is fine
you are never gonna make it

>suicide grip

This. There should be as little as possible between your chest and the bar while resting as little weight as possible on your chest.

Is it ok to rest in the upper position? If you can rest the bar on your chest in the first place you're dyel as fuck

>Is it ok to rest in the upper position?
only if you dont want to make it
also
>fully extending your arms and locking them
rip your joints

>he doesn't know about pause bench press or Spoto press
YOU are never gonna make it

>pause bench press
sounds like something some weak trannyboy made up

Well you're clearly mentally retarded, because there are countless powerlifters who are low bodyfat and look jacked as fuck. Here's one for example.

This

I have a sensitive chest, isn't it okay to just stop an inch before my chest?

Powerlifters do Spoto press, which is stopping the bar before it touches your chest. It was first invented by Spoto, a powerlifter...

> have a friend that is a weak little drug abusing bitch
>likes to run his mouth about shit he knows jack shit about
> tells us guys that he can bench 70kg easy.
> we drag him to the gym
> time to own up to his shit.
> he shits himself
> can't get the bar of his chest.
>let him lie there while we laugh our ass of.
> proceed to help him with his lifts.
> notice he doesn't touch chest
> ask what the fuck?
> " touching chest is bad, you only need to go parallel..."

this is what i think about people that do not touch chest when benching, you are weak minded fuckheads that need to be put in your place, literally the cancer of lifting.

Your bench press will literally increase by like 20-30 kg in a few months if you start doing Spoto press or pauses in bench press in general on some days. It will improve your bench so sickeningly, and that in turn will make you get more chest mass gains since you will be able to do hypertrophy sets like 4x8 at higher weights than before.

no you little bitch.
touch chest or go kill yourself.
god... we need to thin the heard of beta cucks here.

Lol, this

Well said, tyrone

I feel more weight when i stop the bar cms to my chest

>spoto press
Inform a DYEL about why this isn't just a 3/4 ROM bench pls.

post one that isnt juiced to the gills fag

Touch and go faggot.

You don't rest the bar on your chest for a pause bench though nigger. You stop and hold right before you touch.

Sure, touch your chest if you want pinched shoulders.

if Jason Blaha says i have to touch my chest on benchpress, im not going to do it.

youtube.com/watch?v=L_CTp7H7bK4

>>"is it okay to be a pussy a do half a lift?"
of course it is
im not trying to impress the guys who are checking out other men at the gym

the question isn't whether or not it's supposed to touch, if it doesn't touch it isn't a rep, whether or not you hold it there for a count of 5 is the difference between a man and a bitch rep

This is right.

The idea to get your elbows too deep while using dumbells was somewhat mind changer for me then I started using only the barbell when benching.

> he doesn't do pause reps

>"sport"

Powerlifting is the Paralympics of the strength-sport world. Try Strongman or Weightlifting for the real deal.

It will help you perfect your bench press technique. You might think your technique is already as good as it can be, but it isn't. Doing Spoto once a week in addition to your normal bench press sets on another day, it will help your normal bench press soar to much greater weights because of the stability you learn from spoto press.

Did you think the fat powerlifter you posted earlier isn't on gear? Of course he is. All elite level athletes are. That fat one just never cuts.

sure is edgy 12yo pol-tards in here

>not born barrel chested so bench ROM is ridiculous

sure is edgy 11yo leftypol-tards in here

i didnt post that pic. but show me a natty aesthetic powerlifter

just go back to the misc bro

>don't do pic related
What is wrong with pic related? help out a DYEL

No way to stop the bar falling on you, if you struggle with the weight and can't make a rep you could easily lose grip and drop a large amount of weight on your chest or neck. It's why whenever you hear about people dying in a gym, it's nearly always doing bench press.

I don't have pictures of him but my friend is a natty low bodyfat aesthetic powerlifter who competes. Also using steroids does not in any way disqualify any powerlifter from their aesthetics dumbfuck.

The point of paused bench is to maintain tension at the bottom of the movement. Resting it on your chest defeats the purpose.

Surely you are merely pretending

No. You're not even supposed to lift it more than two inches.

So pretty much every e-celeb on Veeky Forums use shitty form.

google some Chinese powerlifters.

you touch your chest because its full rom in powerlifting also its a movement you are trying to get stronger at and by touching the chest you can keep some standards.

if youre not trying to get stronger at the movement and just building your chest you can just go half way, it keeps the tension in the pecs. that why you see some bodybuilders not touch their chest.

Some people think they hardcore cause they touch their chest when benching but i bet some of those people dont even have big pecs even if they lift a heavy weight.

its because they focus on the movement. bodybuilders dont touch chest because they focus on the muscle. different goals people. you aint badass because you can bring the bar to your chest.
FYI. i touch my chest when training the benching movement.

Doesn't touching the chest lead to shoulder impingement?

if you're chest is big enough it'll touch at 90 but for most it won't

This surprises you?

I meant pausing at the top OR doing Spoto press

If your arms aren't too long. Don't listen to ego lifters, if it hurts your elbows don't go further and fuck your joints up. If ROM mattered so much they should do dumbell press.

Do you touch your chest on the incline bench?

>Country literally world renowned for cheating

This.
Don't force the joint in that position, the weight needs to stay on the muscles, not the joint.

My nigga Kevin Oak is aesthetic looking

never seen so much reddit in one thread

how do you figure, slim?

takin the bait, but seriously? half repping is better and touching your chest will fuck up your joints?

PARALLEL TO WHAT
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Pausing at the top is worthless

ok fuck off back to /r/fitness now faggots

I just go to the touch and lift it back up in one fluid motion? Who the fuck rests it on their chest, sounds like a strawman so you dont feel bad about half rapping.

Never had shoulder pain either, because I started with the bar and added 5lbs a week so my muscles adapted properly.

your upper arms should be parralel to your chest.

Your upper arms should make a straight line fro elbow to elbow.

You can take off your battle fedora now, brave warrior

Your pecs initiate at the bottom of the lift but only to a significant extent once your elbows go below parallel. Unless you have extremely odd proportions, not touching your chest is going to result in little to no chest flexion. Likewise, bouncing the rep at the bottom nearly completely skips the entire portion of the lift where you pecs would enter into the lift as you use the momentum to move the weight instead of your pecs. Paused Benching recommended as proper form because it forces you to initiate you pecs, otherwise it's just a glorified triceps/front delt exercise.

Do you genuinely believe that your muscles give a shit about rom?

touching or 1inch above is fine just make sure you lock out

Failed 90kg bp yesterday bro's

It is not, it helps you perfect balance and thus technique.

>all these dumbass posts
Pausing at the bottom of the rep slightly below your chest is optimal. It helps keep your form tight and the bar position should reflect the activation of your lats during the movement.
>retract shoulder blades
>slight arch
>heels on floor
>tighten glutes
>activate lats
There you go. Your elbows should naturally tuck into you with proper usage of your lats. The bar will rest slightly below your chest, creating the optimal bar path slightly diagonal back on the way up. A nice one second pause at the bottom will keep you in place as well as build explosive power out of the hole.

t. brainlet

Being a powerlifter doesn't mean you have to be fat. There are aesthetic powerlifters.