QTDDTOT: Grocery Day Edition

Looks like the old thread is kill.

About to head to the grocery store, any recipe suggestions for a Veeky Forums meal to prepare for dinner? Looking for something a bit fancier than my weekly chicken rice and broccoli prep.

Other urls found in this thread:

walmart.com/ip/Barilla-Plus-Multigrain-Spaghetti-Pasta-14-5-oz/10309216
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Idk anything about cooking but is 5.8 ft 140lbs skelly mode?

Nah, I'd argue that's just above skellington area. Barring odd scenarios, anything below 20 bmi is skelly mode.

Probably pretty skelly. As is always the case composition is what matters most.

At that height and weight, and sub 10% you're probably a pretty aesthetic otter. Anything 15% or higher, probably just skinny or skinny fat

Okay, I've been lifting for a year now while cutting down from 220 lbs currently 165 and going down to 145. Noticed that my weight stalled around 163 recently even though I am dieting with 300 calories less than maintenance. I eat healthy and I lift pretty decently for a beginner but my condition is horrible and I can basically not run for more than 10 seconds without nearly passing out.

Would HIIT with maintenance do better for me or should I start doing a slower form of cardio. Pic related is me.

dudes shouldnt user just refeed for a week here

where at la fitness can i do chin-ups/pull-ups? all they have are those stupid asymmetrical angled bars at the top of cable machines

How long has your weight stalled?

Anyway, HIIT is in general better, but rushing into it without any real cardio before hand could injure you.

What you should do is start with something more gradual; like couch to 5k.

For bodyweight exercises like pushups; should I treat them as I would weights - low reps, gradually raising resistance or should I focus on increasing reps?

You know, I never really thought about the health implications of cardio from someone who was literally a couch potato. It's hard for a non lifter to bench 135 so it should be hard for a non runner to run a 5k. I'll start gradually running at a faster than jogging but slower than sprinting phase I guess.

Me and my pal are looking to join the local gym, but we live in a town with no 24hr Gyms and my workshift is 4-on-4-off, with my work days being 13 hour shifts that cover the entire time the gyms are open.

As a result, I'll only be able to attend in those 4 free days, will I be able to make worthwhile gains going only twice a week? Or will I still be able to make gains going three or four times in those 4 days without much serious rest?

Or is there some kind of autistic trick to it like ONLY doing lower body on the first day, ONLY doing upper body on the next day, ect. So muscles can recover.

how bad is sodium really? I ate a whole pizza today plus other meals im pushing 4200mg of sodium

If Im testing my 1RMs for the big 4 lifts which order should I do them in?

I've recently been experiencing some occasional pain in my upper left pec, near my shoulder. My doctor advised that for the next few weeks, I try lowering the weight while increasing the number of reps and see if that helps.

Will this destroy my gains?

>at uni gym earlier today
>scrawny asian kid on platform
>deadlifting not even 1pl8
>does 3 reps with at least 4-5 minutes rest in between
Not trying to judge but what in the actual fuck? I was getting grumpy because there are only two platforms in my gym and both were taken. I was mainly confused by the
>very low weight
>long rest time in between sets
Was that just a poor routine?

What is better lard or butter?

At the top of my OHP and on the way up on DLs I feel a slight twinge of pain in my left shoulder. It's not present in my right shoulder at all. Should I deload or just take a week off? I don't want to make things worse.

I've been lifting now for 2 weeks doing starting strenght, today while deadlifting 55kg I felt a pressure/burning sensation in my lower right abs/oblique like the cord of my shorts were cutting into me but only felt it on one side, people online talks about a possible hernia, am I fucked?

If I was in that predicament' I'd porbably run PPxL on those 4 days and then do calisthenics a few times during the work week at home.

Maybe you could try to do like a PPLU but I'm not sure if that leaves enough recovery time. My template for PPLU would be something like

Push: BB Bench, Cable flies, seated DB OHP lat raises, Dips, and maybe another tricep isolation if you're not exhausted
Pull:Pull ups, Chin ups, Lat pulldowns, Rows, face pulls, curls
Legs: Highbar/Front squats, Deadlifts, Glute bridgeor hip thrusts, calves and I guess just throw ab isolations on this day
Upper:BB OHP, Incline DB press, Lateral raises Pull ups, Something for rear delts, some type of row (if on pullday you do BB try DB just for variety), and maybe one tricep and bicep exercise if you have the energy. Also if it's your first time at the gym you'll probably be way too sore to do the above in a week

Squat deadlift bench , OHP a different day

bump

Yeah, I'm pretty novice, I used to be skeleton-fat until I dropped 30kg and started some dumbells at home, could barely manage doing sets with 5kg dumbells when I started but worked up to a DYEL 18kg and managed to get into a vague human-being shape. Looking to go beyond a vague human being shape and see if I can get Veeky Forums. I'll look into PPxL routines, I can always flush some Dumbells during the work-days and focus on a PPxL for the four days I have off.

Personally i'd rather invest in some better equipment at home but at best I have 8ft width in space to work with and I don't think it is enough for a squat-rack/bench.

I want to start doing HIIT for cardio. Is it better to do it on the treadmill, elliptical, or bike? Or does it matter?

If I decide to start a home gym, and want to be as jewy as possible at the start before getting any of the bigger stuff what would I buy and what would I do for free? Buy some kettle bells or a shitty homemade sandbag? Get a big ass rice sack and carry it around like a farmer?
Probably get a resistance band. Are the bigass heavy ropes that people swing up and down actually good, seeing as I doubt they're that expensive? I will probably just go to the gym, but I am curious. Am a judofag too, in case any of you guys happen to be too and want to recommend anything.

Don't quote me, but you can both add weight and increase reps for pushups/planks/situps/etc. Increase the reps or maintain reps but start stacking weight plates on top of you while you do the exercises.

am I missing on micronutrients if I buy frozen veggies instead of fresh?
asking since sometimes I end up with veggies going bad or simply forcing myself into meals or absurd volumes of food to not throw it into the trash and I just found out this bags with little bits of mixed vegetables and they seem like a lifesaver

Guys this girl acts interested in me over texts but then we makes plans and she doesn't respond for 2 days.

then she'll act like it never happened. It's happened once and I let it slide since she just moved apartments but she blew me off again today.

Cut her off right? Why would she do this though? She said previously that she thinks I'm hot and seemed impressed by my line of work/accomplishments

Hurts a lil

Is it okay to do bench presses and OHPs on the same day? I'm worried I'm overworking my shoulders and upper body.

I do since OHP doesn't work out chest as directly as bench does. Over working is kind of a meme

Just make sure you have rest days

elliptical and bike are superior

less impact on joints/knees

You're not overworking. Also you should probably stick to an established program instead of making your own routine.

Might be a little late now OP , but here's what I made.

Two

Is there any difference between using a dip belt and a backpack?

Once you can 20 proper push-ups there's no point in doing them anymore unless you add weight, because you're only training endurance. Add weight by putting something on your back or resistance with bands.

If you can't go running on grass, do it on a bike. Treadmills make for unnecessary impact on the knees and the movement pattern of an elliptical is unnatural.

Give it another go, or a couple more if you really like her. If it happens again then assume she's flakey rather than busy and drop her. You deserve someone who is equally as interested in you as you are in them.

No, and anyone or any program that advocates that is shit. If you're a casual lifter you're going to end up with internally rotated shoulders because you won't know the importance of pulling/external rotation, and neither lift will progress as well as it would if you did them on separate days.

No, you may even get more as veg degrades over time, they tend to get frozen fresh.

Distribution of the additional weight and how your joints handle the load. Only really matters if you're one of the dudes who dips with a few extra 45s and how often you dip, though.

What's the best way to keep my back straight when doing deadlifts and rows? I'm terrified I'm going to fuck my back up.

You'll need two days.

Squat/OHP or squat/bench, then deads/OHP or deads/bench on a different day.

Can i take creatine and BCAA same day?
Creatine before workout and BCAA after workout

Record yourself so you can check your form and don't lift with your ego. If you do deads with 225 and they look good and you feel like you can add 10 pounds, then do it. If you do deads with 225 and they don't look good and/or you don't feel like you can add 10 pounds, then don't. Keep in mind that a little bit of UPPER back rounding on deads and rows is fine. Watch pretty much any powerlifter do heavy deads. It's not bracing properly and lifting with your lower back that will send you to snap city, If you can't record yourself for whatever reason, just make sure you're bracing properly and feeling it in your erectors around your middish back.

Absolutely. You can also take BCAA before or during your workout as well.

how much sugar a day should i limit myself to?

How do a get bigger in muscle mass, not fat?

>6'
>170lbs
>~12% bf

I'm new to fit, and I wanted to start doing a 3-day PPL routine that I found online. It says that I should do military presses.

What's the difference between a military press and an overhead press?

My calves hurt a lot when I squat. I almost lost balance and fell yesterday when doing them. What could it be? I did some light pause squats and stretched a lot afterwards but I didn't feel anything weird nor pain.

I'm completely lost. Whenever I go heavy it hurts.

Take pics of your squat form. Most likely you need to work on your flexibility. Do some light warm-ups such as bodyweight squats, side kicks and calve stretches on a door frame. Try some goblet squats to help you reach full depth

I really, really suck at deadlifts. Even when I was in my top shape, I was barely able to do 225. What assistance exercises should I do to get my numbers up? All I know of are deadlifts and farmers walks to train my grip.

Not much my man, put a bar over your head and don't worry about it.

Take a look at deficit deadlifts. Try sumo some days and the other variants like RDL.

You could spend a few weeks focusing deadlifts, take a look at Canditos training.

Controlled caloric surplus. You're going to gain fat no matter what, but with something like a 300-500 calorie surplus, it'll be minimum. If you're not in a rush whatsoever, you can recomp, which is when you eat at maintenance calories and keep lifting like a boss.

Are you new to Veeky Forums or new to lifting also? Nothing wrong with a PPL if you've already got a good base. If you're new to lifting then you should do Veeky Forums's version of the greyskull LP for a while to get your numbers up.

But to answer your question, a military press is done with the feet together and almost no layback, while a regular oOHP is done with your feet however you find comfy, which is generally shoulder width apart, and with minimal layback.

Are your calves tight and/or weak?

Are you putting too much weight on your fore foot? Try putting some more in the mid and heel.

How tall are you? Do you have shit leverages?In any case, try sumo deads and see if they work better for you. If not, farmer's walks, dead-hangs, rack-pulls, deficit deads, and stiff-legged and romanian deadlifts are all good assistance exercises.

Thanks, will do.

>Are your calves tight and/or weak?
A little and maybe.

I really don't think so, I use weightlifting shoes and I feel pretty balanced. But I'm going to record me and see.

>If you're new to lifting then you should do Veeky Forums's version of the greyskull LP for a while to get your numbers up.

Is that located in the sticky?

Thanks for the quality non-meme answer m8

this board is usually impossible to get a legit answer out of

Right now, I'm 5'6" and 207 pounds. Novice

I bought myself a set of dumbbels with adjustable weights.

I'm looking at the StrongLifts routine on the pinned post. Can I do everything in that list with dumbbells instead of barbells? Squats wouldn't be possible but I'm avoiding those anyway, I'm still recovering from some knee and feet injuries

Hi im in a cut, want to lose weight and i have to eat 30g of fat every day, that means that i can eat once a day 100g of smoked salmon that has 15g fat and there are still 15 g left yet?

I never thought i could eat something that delicious on a cut so it is possible?

please answer, thanks

It will make you hold a lot of water, which will make your blood pressure go up, and you'll look fat. But that's about it desu

That arm pull down machine thing where the free weights are usually has a large overhang thing for those I believe. Which one u go to user?

Yes you pulled your spleen into your herniatic sack

Stretch your calves more. Find a couple stretches on Google aside from the usual "stair" stretch and do them at least 3 times a week for 2 weeks. Stretch them unilaterally and together. Should only take about 10 minutes of your day. Also, incorporate calf raises if you haven't already and do them nice and slowly on the way up while keeping a bend in your knees throughout the movement.

It's not, but here it is. To figure out what weights you should start with you can use the Starting Strength method. Start with just the bar and do a set of 5 reps. Add 10 pounds and do 5 more reps. Keep adding 10 pounds until your bar speed slows or your form begins to breakdown. When you stop adding weight, that will have been 1 set. Rest, do another set with that weight, rest, then do the AMRAP. You can switch the curls out for any lagging bodypart. More lateral raises, cable flys, whatever.

Definitely try pulling sumo if you haven't already. Your body doesn't sound like it was "made" for conventional deadlifts. Even if sumo feels better for you, also definitely work in some of those other exercises. I personally like holding my last rep of deads for as long as possible, and doing timed dead-hangs right after.

>Stretch your calves more. Find a ...

Thanks man.

Is targeted fat removal really a meme? I've lost about 60 pounds and I'd say 80% of it has been from my upper body, my legs, thighs and ass still hold a lot of fat.

Thanks user. Is that meant to just be a starting program, or can I stick to that routine?

You'd be able to do them, sure, but your adjustable weights will become easier and easier until eventually you won't be able to load them anymore. If joining a gym isn't an option then absolutely use your dumbbells. I wouldn't recommend Strong Lifts, though. Mehdi is a scrub and his program is just a beefed up (not in a good way) version of Starting Strength, which isn't that great of a beginner program itself.

You're welcome, man. I had tight calves too, so much so that they were the only thing preventing me from doing vertical splits. I found that the obligatory stair stretch, the wall stretch, downward dog, and rolling my calves out with a golf ball a couple times a week really loosened them up. Doing calf slow calf raises with my toes pointing out, straight, and in also seemed to strengthen them better than just the heavy up and down with my toes straight.

If I do intermittent fasting and eat 500 calories below TDEE, could I cut from 190 to 160 Ibs by the end of December?

>but your adjustable weights will become easier and easier until eventually you won't be able to load them anymore
I'm aware of that issue. The current "starter" set I got only goes up to 22 pounds in each dumbbell (4 5kg plates). I think it's still a good investment because I have the physical capabilities ot Ted at the end of I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream.

>If joining a gym isn't an option then absolutely use your dumbbells
It is an option but I'm a little bitch with huge anxiety issues (diagnosed ones with meds and all). I think if I slim down a bit I'll feel more comfortable going there later on (I'm 5'9" and 265lbs, pretty fat)

>I wouldn't recommend Strong Lifts
What would you recommend to a shapeless blob like me? I have 4 plates of 1kg, 2kg and 5kg and two bars (if that info is any help, of course)

Either. Greyskull LP itself is designed so that you can pretty much keep making gains on it, Veeky Forums's version just orders the exercises more sensibly and adds some accessories. If you get bored of the program once you're at or somewhat close to a 135 OHP, 225 bench, 315 squat, and 405 DL, or you just enjoy more volume in general, feel free to then switch to a PPL or whatever. Building a good base is important, but whatever program your run your first 6 months or so of lifting isn't as important as staying consistent for 10 years. It's all big picture.

help please I wanna do Jonnie Canditos 6 week program but there's no OHP and lacks bench volume

what should I do?

Drop it to a 1k deficit and you definitely can as with only -500 you're losing 1 pound a week. Or add cardio to the 500

This is going to sound super retarded but: how do I stop being lazy during the mornings?

I go to sleep every day pumped to wake up on the other day ready to lift and everything but as soon as my alarm rings on the next day, my motivation disappears and I just wanna hit the snooze button and die

I get 8 hours of sleep every day and I don't have any problems sleeping, it's just getting out of the goddamn bed that's the biggest issue

Try to go for 0g of added sugar a day and see how that pans out. I'm at a month so far. Only sugars have been from fruits and veg like carrots.

Alright, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all the advice, user.

500 calories is a pound a week, so 4 pounds a month. More or less. 4ish months until the end of December, 4ish pounds a month x 4ish months is 16 poundsish. Intermittent Fasting might help you lose a bit more fat, but I'd say you're looking at only about 15-20 lbs of fatloss. How fat are you now? If you're over 20% bodyfat you can rock a 1000 calorie deficit until you hit 20% and then do 500 calories from there.

I'd actually recommend you start with some calisthenics firs.t Pic related.

That looks great, thanks for the graph. I can probably print that and stick it on a wall to track my progress

Candito is a record holding lifter, he might look like a troll, but he knows his shit. My advice would be to just follow the program. If you're really craving some OHP and more benching, add them in and see how you feel.

Try 7 and a half hours of sleep instead of 8. Set your alarm to your desired wake up time and put it across the room. Set multiple alarms if possible and set your alarm just outside of arm's reach. There's plenty of bedtime hacks, but getting out of bed is really just will.

You're welcome, bro. I hope you make some great gains and enjoy yourself.

Something that worked out pretty well for me was a fajita mixer. I sauteed some bell peppers and onions, and then I found this rub that works really well for chicken or steak:
- 2 tblspn Chili powder
- 2 teaspn cumin
- 2 teaspn paprika
- 2 teaspn black pepper
- 1/2 teaspn garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspon cayenne pepper
- salt to taste

Put a little of the seasoning in with the veggies too, then you can put it on a tortilla or just eat it with a fork with the same toppings you'd put on a fajita (guac, hot sauce, sour cream IIFYM).

Also, if you can season a red sauce right, get 90-10 Ground beef and get a high protein pasta, spaghetti and meatballs can be a decent one.

Do it up, man! Calisthenics get a bad rap, and while they are inferior to lifting in terms of progressive overload, you'll still lose weight and look joocy. I mean, just look at the guys who do calisthenics - the Barstarzz guys, FitnessFAQs, the list goes on. And since you're already big you won't have to worry about having a jacked upperbody and small legs. Your calves and quads are gonna look great when you lose some weight. Best of luck.

Whats some good stuff to put in my shake for micros

>You're welcome, bro. I hope you make some great gains and enjoy yourself.
Well, I'm also a fatty trying to lose weight, and that's more of a priority for me, but that's mostly a separate issue. Keeping track of my diet and all that.

Op here.

I tried my best and copied you. it was delicious even though I cooked the steak all the way to medium, and barely had enough glaze to cover them.

I also like my salads dry so props on that as well

I'm doing Greyskull LP. How long should I be resting in between sets?

Been on SL5X5 for 3 months, bored of the program and thinking about switching to a 6 day PPL routine. Is this a good idea? Can anyone recommend a program? I still like the idea of strength training but I find it so boring and I want to focus on more "aesthetics" hyperthrophy based training.

I use a very similar rub for my meal prep chicken, I don't know why I never make fajitas with it. I'll probably make that tone day this week.

Any recs on a high protein pasta?

Barillo makes a 17g protein one:
walmart.com/ip/Barilla-Plus-Multigrain-Spaghetti-Pasta-14-5-oz/10309216

That's what I used. There used to be one with like 4 grams of digestible carbs somewhere but I can never find it anymore.

Are rest days necessary? will taking a rest day cut on your gains?

Sup guys!
Are pic related machines worth using?
Thanks!

Are you serious? You literally build muscles during rest. And when lifting, you're also stressing your nervous system, which needs time to heal.

PPL isn't a program, it's a template. You might wanna try PHUL or PHAT

Fruits and veggies.

Drink a lot so you have to get up and pee. Or put your alamr clock far from your bed so you have to get up tu switch it of. Personally, I just stand right up when the time comes (either alarm or my natural time) so I don't have time to protest

Why does my chest lack any shape at all despite being able to do 2+pl8s during working sets? Is it just high bodyfat?

you just look fat

also is bench all you do? throw in some flyes or incline

Yes. Looks like you've been bulking for way too long.

Fajitas are great, still tastes good even without salt.

Chicken alfredo pasta is good too, 2 tbsp of butter or what you prefer, 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, and add Parmesan cheese until it's thick enough to your liking. Throw in as much chicken as you want.

can i do bodyweight exercises everyday? or do i still need to have rest days in between like with resistance training?

Is it alright to do my rowing machine HIIT immediately before another workout day?

That by the way will involve the rows lift.

manlet and dyel mode

my gym doesnt have bumper plates and im too dyel to power clean 135lbs

wat do

How much of a difference does:

>Eating body weight in protein
>Drinking pre-workout
>Consuming BCAAs

Make?

Getting into the gym now and wondering how important each of these are for stimulating muscle growth / reducing recovery times, and if there any studies that support claims?

Doing GSLP as well, I rest for a few minutes between compounds (2-3 depending on weight/effort), and for my accessory work I rest 45 seconds between sets (doing 3x8 on accessories)

My shit is getting too heavy for my toilet, what do?