/FAST/ FAST FAST FAST EDITION

/FAST/ FASTING GENERAL

What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and fat fasting
While fasting alone is fantastic for your health, Consider doing a ketogenic in addition to become god mode

>how can I get a quick rundown? Where can I start?
dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting
dietdoctor.com/longer-fasting-regimens
youtube.com/watch?v=9idhb2aAfns

>any more info?
idmprogram.com/fed-fasted-state/
medium.com/the-mission/the-sweet-spot-for-intermittent-fasting-9aae12a2158c

>autophagy:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3106288/
greatist.com/live/autophagy-fasting-exercise
dietdoctor.com/renew-body-fasting-autophagy
selfhacked.com/blog/autophagy-benefits-and-how-to-harness/
roguehealthandfitness.com/intermittent-fasting-boosters-autophagy-enhancers/
roguehealthandfitness.com/coffee-is-associated-with-lower-death-rates/

>reddit fag that did a 77 day water fast, notice how he is not 1)dead or 2)looks like a wrinkled vagina
reddit.com/r/fasting/comments/573gkb/just_completed_a_77_day_fast_ama/
PMC3106288/

>Fung talks and lectures:
youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk
youtu.be/PSR82vmZ5lk
youtu.be/v9Aw0P7GjHE

>DeLauer videos, mainly focus on tips, quick explanations of processeses backed with research, and chadliness
youtube.com/watch?v=ihrmfFlG_qc
youtube.com/watch?v=6UShUs1Wb_k

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PKfR6bAXr-c
youtube.com/watch?v=Dan8qtgQRi8
theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/sep/04/silicon-valley-ceo-fasting-trend-diet-is-it-safe
reddit.com/r/leangains/comments/lx87d/leangains_fish_oil_tablets/c2wbvcq/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25771142
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>do 5 mile yesterday morning and then move 900 pounds of flagstones for landscaping, eat a normal keto dinner for OMAD
alright

>do another 5 mile hike today, dick around with smaller housework, but then wolf down two things of nachos you made with cookies and whiskey thrown in on the side

How many days of water fast will I have to do to atone for my sins brothers?

Night out with friends fked my fasting... had lunch with them today also. Will fasting untill tomorrow night be enough to have my sins forgiven??
20:4 window btw... breaking fast close to 7p.m.

if you've kept with it for awhile, don't sweat it. IF is good for total health but what's the point of having an amazing body and great energy if you can't go eat and drink with friends

now if you ate like a fat fuck, I'd say 2 days minimum

>>DeLauer videos, mainly focus on tips, quick explanations of processeses backed with research, and chadliness
Stop posting these. That guy is a complete hack douche. Hes a """celebrity trainer""". Just post actual doctors like fung not meme lords.

What is memey about him citing research studies and linking them in the descriptions in all of his videos, even for stupid shit like post-fast keto shakes?

Why not just post the studies then? Or post rhonda patricks info on fasting and shakes?

youtube.com/watch?v=PKfR6bAXr-c

Check in lads. Day 2 here.

How you feeling? I was noticing a massive amount of norepinepherine getting dumped by the end of day 2 when I did my 3day, the amount of energy is shocking

I ate pretty late the day before yesterday. So far I am feeling similar to yesterday, nothing like you are describing yet.

will skipping lunch do any good?
Lunch is a faggot meal anyways

fasted till 530 pm today.

had 1250 cals for dinner

77 carb/ 42 fat/ 135 protein

If you skip breakfast and lunch you will enter godmodr

not breakfast, no.

my dear oatmeal will not be sacrificed

There is no reason to consider fasting or skipping meals if you won't even give up a trite bowl of oatmeal that does nothing but bomb your bloodstream with glucose and sap the nutrients out of your small intestine and colon

Does drinking bulletproof coffee in the morning on keto break fast?

whoa there, someone's on the keto diet.
Fr tho, I do agree that keto burns fat like a motherfucker and that's great but I'd rather do it slower with carbs while having energy to hit it hard in the gym.

Prove to me fasting doesn't fuck your metabolism up.

It's up in the air, fung says it's fine if you want to reduce total glucose and IGF levels and want to boost HGH and other hormones, however, from my own poking around, fat fasting may break other parts of the fast, like autophagy.

If you are fasting for autophagy and the health benefits not directly related to your metabolism, I'd say no, if you're doing it to lose weight and lower glucose, by all means, go for it.

Day 5, keto breath sucks

this is the DYEL you guys listen to

so I can't workout in the morning doing IF because i'm going to miss the benefits of consuming protein straight after working out?

hes not fat, which is the point. nice job proving it works
actually read/watch OP info

>hes not fat
but he's skinnyfat, I guarentee you that. Zero muscle. Hungry chink= hungry skelly

You are aware he and his family do keto right? ESPECIALLY after his interactions with Dr. Dominic D'Agostino right? It's common knowledge that carbohydrates are probably the worst thing you can ingest, and without them, there's only fat and protein to intake

He never claimed to lift weights. Stop creating a strawman argument. He never claimed fasting got you jacked either. Again stop creating strawman argument.

Oh shit it's the tools of titans page that turned me onto D'Agostino!

The thing about a short term 3-5 day fast being able to clear you out amazed me. I thought he was fucking bullshit until I found out the navy SEALS hired him to do research on how to modify navy diver metabolism and prevent seizures

how does that disprove my point that he's skinnyfat.
Now we don't just have one hungry chink, we've got a bloodline full of them
>Dominic who? the fuck?

i really dislike this book because its clear half of the people featured are victims of survivorship bias, but you gotta give tim ferris credit for his self experimentation

hope these pages were enlightening

There is absolutely no way that happened in 1 month.

He's like master Roshi, he's hiding 10 tons of muscle behind that shirt.

Fung is concerned first and foremost with the reversal of type 2 diabetes and for his patients to achieve metabolic health; Weight loss and any additional effects are just cream.

If you do want to see Fasting/Keto in lifters, I believe D'Agostino has a group of lifters including himself that he does fast/keto tests on

It can be like 20kg difference. He can be manlet

fuck off

So is this shit for fatasses only? Are all of you faggots fat right now?

hell no , everyone should fast often regardless of weight

I want to do 1 week of alternate day fasting before doing two 3 day fasts the following week
So do I eat maintenance kcal on my non fast days or surplus? Im on keto 16/8 right now and eating maintence is hard already..

>tfw saved 300 dollars I would've spent on food
What are you spending your fastbux on (other than rent)?

does fish oil break a fast?

0 calorie sips

>saved 300 dollars
Jeezus christ, how much fast food did you normally eat until now?

>$20 on avg spent on food daily
>15 days fasted out of the month
Poorfag pls

How good is IF and keto for someone with prediabetes?
I already got my A1C to safe levels, but so far I've just been eating organic foods and high carb foods and such. I can go into detail if you care.
I do want to mention that I went from 230 lbs (when I was diagnosed earlier this March) to 167 lbs right now.

Anyone here trying to gain mass while fasting? I've been considering fasting from 8pm Saturday to 6pm Monday, would this cut off some fat?

are you trying to lose weight

>been on a strict 16:8 diet for a litte more than a month now as a skinnyfat
>pants are starting to feel loser
>stomach has gone down a little bit
however
>bitch tits and love handles are still there
>some of my compound lifts have been stalling, haven't been making a whole lot of progress in the last 2 weeks

where do i go from here? should i just keep cutting to auschwitz mode and lift anyway? guessing my bf is about 17%

Yes, I've lost 80 lbs and I'm on my last 20 so I want to try prolonged fasting

*looser

I intermittent fast pretty regularly.

Let's say i want to try fasting for a few whole days. Should i just take my fucking vitamins and keep electrolytes in check or what?

How do I go about breaking a fast if I want to keep to a keto diet afterwards? A lot of what I've read seems to indicate that fruits like watermelon are ideal, but they aren't keto friendly.

Should I start with fibrous green vegetables, blended perhaps?

Really want to try this but a I am so afraid of gainz goblinz..please reassure me /fast/...

working out fastest or no fasted? whats better?

>tfw on hour 64 of water-fast
Crazy how my discipline was shit for calorie counting and intermittent fasts, but I'm all good with eating nothing at all.
Hoping to go for 35-40 days, if all goes well I'll go from 96kg to 74-70kg.

Not fasted obviously

Make sure to take vitamins and drink salt water now and then.

some user mentioned alternate day fasting while lifting in the previous thread. I'm familiar with alt-day fasting for non-lifters, but curious how well it work for lifters.

Eat on lift days. Fast on rest days. Just wondering how much you sacrifice on gains because protein synthesis lasts for 48 hours, but you only eat for

Lads I'm 6 foot but weigh 67kg, all of it cellulose flab. I've got girl hips, bitch tits, cellulose thighs, legs, flabby soft stomach - worst case scenario skinny fat. Would fasting burn the fat well enough? I ask this because the people who do long term fasting tend to be obese and so the transformation is more visible.

I can't even tell what body type I am - I don't think I have a fast metabolism otherwise all the shit I ate as a kid would've been burnt off. This is where the fat is from - a shitty single mother filling me with carbs and fast food.

Try intermittent fasting, possibly while eating keto. I've been doing OMAD, eating at around 1900 every day. I go for a run in the morning, on an empty stomach and it's been burning fat like crazy. It's kind of hard at first to run without any food, but just after a few weeks I feel amazing and the results are visible. My stubborn lovehandles are shrinking, my ugly leg fat is going away. It requires a good amount of willpower but it's worth it.

by 1900 I mean 7 o clock, not calories

>tfw 5$ on food daily
learn to cook user. You are old enough for that

what vitaminds do you recommend?I dont want to ruin my fast

I just started intermittent fasting. What should I do post workout? Just some creatine? Bear in mind that I do weight lifting, and some workouts, like today's leave me breathless and shattered. Or should I just keep on fasting until 8 pm?

redpill me on IF, started doing IF (16-8) from morning to 4pm, where instead of lunch break (1-2:30 pm) i go for bike sprints, take a shower and then eat at 4 usually cottage cheese, some simple carbs and lot of veggies ( around 1kcal meal)

then i go for run 5-10km / 5:30 pace in the evening and hit some chicken or tuna/ veggies /rice dinner

to kill munchies in the evening, i have a proton shake vanilla standart whey

is this good base to loose weigth and improve my stamina?

Better steaks, since I literally just eat steak, eggs, and a heinous amount of leafy greens, I"m saving about 8-10 dollars a day off of breakfast/lunch and it only costs about 2 bucks to move from eating strip steaks to ribeyes in cattle country

nigger did you even read the OP? Fung is a diabetic nephrologist, his care and fasting protocols first and foremost is for the reversal of type 2 diabetes

>I dont want to ruin my fast
Non of them have calories so you can't break your fast with them. Only vitamin E sometimes comes together with fat or fish oil so the body can take it in.

You need vitamin C, everything else is kind of good to have but optional. Liquid form vitamins are better during a fast because the pills are expected to be taken with food. Most people just take a multivitamin once per day.

Some people just eat one apple per day, one apple doesn't have enough calories to break a fast either, you would still stay in the fasted state.

>redpill me on IF
I'll get you some glasses first so you can READ THE FUCKING OP

>running and munchies
Keto will boost your VO2 max, heart efficiency, and brain power and overall oxygen use. IF will kill your junk food cravings if you don't smonk weed, 16:8 is good but for additional HGH and other hormones, 18:6 or 20:4 is the way to go

additional info:
youtube.com/watch?v=Dan8qtgQRi8

How many days a week do you guys fast?

I've been reading different things. Some people do it 3 times a week, some people every day. Is it safe to do 7 days a week?

Read the OP

Wont activating digestion fuck up autophagy?

I accidentally swallowed fly when I was riding my bike.Is my fast ruined?

I do IF 6 days a week with a one day fast on thursdays

No, you can eat as long as you don't leave the fasted state.

>Some people just eat one apple per day, one apple doesn't have enough calories to break a fast either, you would still stay in the fasted state.
this is 100% wrong
wrong wrong

theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/sep/04/silicon-valley-ceo-fasting-trend-diet-is-it-safe

If fasting is good enough for Silicon Valley CEO's who earn millions of dollars a year, I think it's good enough for me.

>source: Your Ass

The fasted state is not an on/off switch. Your body will keep using ketone bodies (assuming > 3 days of fasting) as fuel as long as glycogen storages aren't replenished and insulin levels don't get too high.

What you arent understanding is that being in ketosis is not the same as fasting.
You are in ketosis while fasting but fasting itself has many other benefits that are negated when eating.
When you consume calories no matter how few like an apple, your insulin will spike no matter what. Even if its a small amount. Which is a problem because insulin is the enemy of glucagon which is what triggers autophagy. Think about what im saying before responding.

>fasting itself has many other benefits that are negated when eating.
Reduced inflammation in the gut is the only benefit affected by this and you will still get that benefit if you eat one measly apple. I assume you said "many" and then didn't bother listing the 'many' benefits on purpose.

>When you consume calories no matter how few like an apple, your insulin will spike no matter what.
"Spike" is a meaningless term, like I said before it is fine as long as your insulin levels don't get too high. People usually say 50 kcal is safe, but it's probably higher if you have more bodymass.
reddit.com/r/leangains/comments/lx87d/leangains_fish_oil_tablets/c2wbvcq/

>Reduced inflammation in the gut is the only benefit affected by this and you will still get that benefit if you eat one measly apple. I assume you said "many" and then didn't bother listing the 'many' benefits on purpose.
i believe another benefit is autophagy which is the process by which old cells are recycled and replaced by new cells.

>you said "many" and then didn't bother listing the 'many' benefits on purpose
What i meant was being in a fasted state not just a ketosis state.
>reddit.com/r/leangains/comments/lx87d/leangains_fish_oil_tablets/c2wbvcq/
I dont care what faggots on reddit say i care what doctors say.
When you eat something contatining amino acids, especially BCAAs like that moron is suggesting, it immediately brings autophagy to a hult.
correct

Autophagy is broken by taking in amino acids (protein). Apples contain basically no such amino acids.

Autophagy starts after 12 hours of fasting, so you would still get autophagy even if you eat too much amino acids once per day. Also too much autophagy isn't necessarily healthy either.

>Autophagy starts after 12 hours of fasting
this is not true necessarily at all/ It all depends how much glucose and insulin you have circulating in your blood.
> so you would still get autophagy even if you eat too much amino acids once per day
We want to maximize it and extend it. Thats the whole point to multi day fasts with un-interrupted breaks.
> Also too much autophagy isn't necessarily healthy either
Source?
Why are you campainging so hard for this apple? Do you work for "big" apple you shill? All jokes aside most people will agree food cravings and hunger go away when you properly fast around day 3. If you keep re-triggering your digestive system with this apple a day you will never enter this state where hunger and cravings disappear. Eating an apple a day will actually make it harder not easier to fast.

>this is not true necessarily at all/ It all depends how much glucose and insulin you have circulating in your blood.
Yeah it would happen way sooner if you are already basically starved and only ate a small amount (like in the case we are talking about)

>Source?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25771142

>Why are you campainging so hard for this apple?
Because we were talking about one apple a day and you got really angry over it.

>Yeah it would happen way sooner if you are already basically starved and only ate a small amount (like in the case we are talking about)
No thats not necessarily true at all. I AM assuming we are fasting. It takes longer for autophagy to kick in for sure. If you were already in a state of ketosis and avoiding carbs than maybe but most people on fit and in general dont eat keto.
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25771142
Ok first off thats an abstract not a study. So basically its a blogpost.
Second off
>dysregulated autophagy is speculated to contribute
>dysergulated
Thats not what we are talking about
>speculated
Great now we are speculating.
This post literally proves nothing at all.
>Because we were talking about one apple a day and you got really angry over it.
Im not really angry at all. All im doing is replying same as you.

Also dont ignore what I said
>All jokes aside most people will agree food cravings and hunger go away when you properly fast around day 3. If you keep re-triggering your digestive system with this apple a day you will never enter this state where hunger and cravings disappear. Eating an apple a day will actually make it harder not easier to fast.
Respond to this dont just gloss over it cause you know you dont have an answer for it.

>No thats not necessarily true at all.
If insulin levels get low enough and protein synthesis stops then autophagy starts. It usually takes a long time for the levels to get low enough for the process to start for a person who ate normally and has full storage of amino acids.

If your amino acids storages are depleted and you only have a small increase of insulin and only taken in a small amount of amino acids for protein synthesis, then it will necessarily take less long to reach the thresholds again.

So it is actually necessarily true.

>Also dont ignore what I said
>All jokes aside most people will agree food cravings and hunger go away when you properly fast around day 3. If you keep re-triggering your digestive system with this apple a day you will never enter this state where hunger and cravings disappear. Eating an apple a day will actually make it harder not easier to fast.
I did it before and it didn't make a noticeable difference.

48 hour fast was easily doable, but after I started eating again I felt weird all weekend. I think I'm going to stick with 23/1 for the foreseeable future.

>It usually takes a long time for the levels to get low enough for the process to start for a person who ate normally and has full storage of amino acids
I know you pleb thats what im talking about.
>then it will necessarily take less long to reach the thresholds again
source? You dont need aminos while fasting for muscle preservation anyway so not sure why youd even want it.
>I did it before and it didn't make a noticeable difference.
Well youre one person and every other person ive seen talking about fasting, and my own experince, shows aboiding all intake beside water and coffee is best for killing your appetite long term on a long fast.

Alright guys, so I think I just fainted? I've been eater fasting for the past two days, and I haven't eaten anything today either. Whenever I stand up, I get fuzzy/light headed, but eventually it goes away after a about a minute or so. I was laying down browsing /sp/ when I stood up to go do something (I don't even remember, maybe homework or something?) and I started to feel dizzy. It wasn't that bad, so I was just looking out the window watching cars go by while waiting for it to pass. All of a sudden, I'm on the floor with a fucking busted lip with my TV knocked over onto the floor. Is it time to break my fast? I really don't know if this might happen again, so I might not risk it. Has this happened to anyone else?

eat some salt dude.

dude break your fast right now, do some fucking reading about fasting and do it properly this time

>source?
If your storage of amino acids is depleted by fasting, then eating a small amount of amino acids CAN'T replenish your storage fully. The protein synthesis will process the amino acids (assuming you took in the full variety of amino acids necessary) and then stop. What part do you not understand?

>You dont need aminos while fasting for muscle preservation anyway so not sure why youd even want it.
That's why I told you to eat an apple, not a protein bar. And I didn't even tell you to eat an apple, I just said some people eat an apple a day. Not ever once did I tell you to eat protein during a fast, I just said it wouldn't matter too much if you ate a small amount.

>Well youre one person
>In my experience bla bla bla
Well you're also only one person, so whatever...