Is 5x5 actually good for beginners or is it a meme?

Is 5x5 actually good for beginners or is it a meme?
Have been following the 5x5 routine, following the app.
Not sure if i fell for the meme, or if i should stick with it.
My goal is to build muscle, not to be a "strongman" or a "Powerlifter":
What do you reccomend.

5x5 works but I had a better progress with 4x8

Try a PPL program on the internet?

It's an acronym for Push, Pull Legs, and there are beginner PPL programs, but they're usually about 6 days a week from what i've seen.

3x5 give faster/more gains with plateau that takes longer to hit than 5x5

>PPL

thats powerlifting bullshit, fuck those routines unless you are just trying to be a massive blob of muscle with no definition.

PPL is not a powerlifting routine.

>Mfw these are the dumbasses giving advice on /fit

doing SS is a good idea, it gives you the basics as well as a good base to build on for strength and when you are done with it in 6-9 months you can hop on a body building program and see really good results, or you can hop on a body building program and build muscle but you will be a weak little bitch of a man with no base.

ppl is more of a maintenance type of program, not really a body building program or a powerlifting program. You arent going to see amazing results with this program even at 2x a week.

If I were to start over from the beginning I would do SS for the 6-9 months until I stalled and calories at +750 a day.
Then switch to a 2 day split with 30 minutes light cardio, upper and lower, high reps low weight, doing it 3x a week with 1 day off while still bulking for the next 6 months and only do +500 calories.
After that I would cut down to normal calorie or maybe just +250 intake(probably getting really fat looking by now) and do a 5 day split chest, shoulders, arms, back, legs and then do abs every single day for a few months.
Then after that I would do a hard cut while lifting heavy compounds 5 day split, no accessories and 45-60 minutes of cardio everyday, should look amazing when done in 3 months and be ready to start over with a good bulk again or if you are happy you can hop on a PPL at this point or start over with a bulk and get bigger.

Thats just my thoughts on this OP, you should plan out the next 2 years to this. You can try lifting for quick results but really you should want to set yourself up for the long term.

>SS for 9 months
>5 day bro-split
You're retarded on both sides of the Veeky Forums spectrum.

Thanks, a rather solid answer.

I did 5x5 + like 2 accessory lifts and hit 1/2/3/4 in literally 3 months

What accessory lifts?
And dafuq is a 1/2/3/4?

Who is that?

Scott Adkins, a actor, the characters name is Yuri Boyka, in a movie series called "Undisputed"

It's 1 divided by 2, then you divide that quotient by 3, and do it again by 4. You've heard of the Riddle of Steel? This is the Riddle of Iron.

were you starting from skelly? or fat rugby player?

That's because you did greater volume.
5x5=25 total reps
4x8=32 total reps
Assuming 3xWeek, that will give you 75 reps vs 96 reps per week, respectively. So it's almost like you're doing an entire additional 5x5 workout when you're doing 4x8. Greater volume leads to greater mass and generally strength as well. A better comparison would be if you did 6 or 7x5 vs 4x8, or 3x8 vs 5x5, because then you'd have roughly equivalent volume. You'd probably see slightly greater strength gains performing the Xx5 routine over the Xx8 routine, provided the volume is the same, because you can move greater weight. But it would take longer due to more rest. If you had the time, 8x3 would probably get you better gains than 5x5 or 3x8 (again, because you can lift more weight for a triple than for 8), but 8 sets would mean your workouts would be a helluva lot longer. It all depends on your time and what you're training for.

So few sets of higher reps is better for muscle building?

do WS4SB.

Bruh you're a slobbering retard, if I do four sets of thirty reps light weight I'm not gonna get thicc

1pl8 OHP
2pl8 bench
3pl8 squat
4pl8 DL

if this is the case your 5x5 isn't heavy enough

just for easy math, say you do 5x5 at 10lbs, thats 250lbs total, then 4x8 at 7lbs, its 224lbs

so if you're doing 4x8 at x weight, figure out at what weight 5x5 would be greater total and lift that, thats how SS works

I've been out of a solid gym routine for at least 5 years and have dabbled with ss for the past few weeks.

I'm 5'7 145 and am only trying to get back to a very lean and strong 150. Should I just skip over ss and go back to my ppl?

>for at least 5 years
You wouldn't say you're a beginner, would you?

Absolutely not. Before then I worked out like a maniac from 17 to about 23. I still have a lot of muscle and resemble the athletic person that I once was, but I'm noticeably smaller.