Planet Fitness

>Planet Fitness

What exactly does 'judgement free' mean?

And whats with all the coddling posters everywhere? I just wanted to use the cardio stuff.

One just opened down the street and it seems okay, but I get these weird culty Jonestown vibe from there website. I figured you guys might know something.

Thanks in advance.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=md_dg8B8tmk
youtube.com/watch?v=kt0s_VIg2xc
youtube.com/watch?v=8eAj08nAFP4
youtube.com/watch?v=Odg2K25sLGg
youtube.com/watch?v=umFtq_GOyxo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Means fat people can do the lowest resistance at the slowest pace for ten minutes on the exercise bike once a week and still gets to claim they have a gym membership.

From a lifting standpoint, abysmal. From a business standpoint, genius. Who's going to cancel over ten bucks a month?

Judgement free means there will be a lot of people fatter and/or weaker than you

Oh I see thank you. So, like a gym for nerds I guess? That fits I guess.

Still, I dont know how I feel about all the coddling, seems unnatural. You're supposed to feel ashamed of being out of shape, its healthy motivation.

I looked at their mission statement and am trying to decode this:

We believe no one should ever feel Gymtimidated by Lunky behavior and that everyone should feel at ease in our gyms, no matter what his or her workout goals are."

I guess its innocent. But anyone comes near me with some schmaltzy nonsense Imma be mad. I just wanna burn some pounds, not make friends with salesmen.

It's literally a scam to get fat people to sign up for a gym and never use it. They purposefully keep you fat to get you to keep paying your monthly dues, hence their feeding days and lack of actual weights. Their principal demographic is middle aged fat women, which should tell you all that you need to know. I would sooner forfeit all weight training and become a bodyweight only memelord before signing up for that """"""gym""""".

judgement free actually means they are free to judge and discriminate as much as possible
they are free to discriminate lifters by not providing simple equipment like squat racks and dumbells over 75 lbs or the ability to do deadlifts
its funny how the judgment free zone is actually the most judgmental gym chain in existence while other gyms people can do whatever as long as they aren't complete assholes about it

Oh. Feeding days?!

Its so close and I wanna use it. I guess I'll just try to avoid people there.

This is the vibe I get from it

youtube.com/watch?v=md_dg8B8tmk

Thats peculiar. I hadnt given much thought to the machines. I have circulation issues and was mostly just going to use the treadmill so I can keep my ability to walk as long as possible before mah feet and legs wither off from so little movement in winter.

Recovering fat here. On my journey one of the first places I checked was PF since it was ten bucks. Didn't really notice the "judgment free" stuff until I actually got there to work out. Honestly felt weird and instantly made me think people were judging me. Like previous posters mentioned there are hardly any weights to do serious strength training and there is an alarm that goes off if anyone is being too loud. Pretty fucking judgemental if you ask me. Anyway Friday rolls around and they are giving away pizza to people at the door. That's when I decided to cancel that membership and look somewhere that would take gym time seriously.

It sure sounds odd, pizza in a gym. I wonder if they 'judge' if I turn it down. I like to eat too, but that sort of defies the purpose I would think. Moreover, Im not sure how I feel about 'gym pizza'

I just thought it would be convenient to have an exercycle and treadmill down the street, like I'd be renting a place to store it.

I wasnt expecting much for 10 bucks or whatever it is. Its just so close which is a big deal for me, with winter coming.

There are other places, one that seems a bit shabby and full of noisy kids, and another state of the art one with natoriums, but its 62 a month, twice that for enrollment and far away.

I figure if I stay to myself, I can stay away from any chatty types. Hopefully, the employees leave me alone.

I dont mind a little strength training, but I have weights here for that. I guess mostly I was looking forward to a reason to go out when the snow comes. I am far in the north.

Also, idk what a 'lunk alarm' means. I know what an alarm is, but not what a 'lunk' is. I thought it was some abbreviation for lummox or something.

If you're just looking to use the cardio machines, $10/month will definitely be the best value you can get. Pay no mind to the "coddling" posters, pizza, and fat people the best you can. Just worry about you. The choice between PF and these other gyms seems pretty clear to me, but I've never been to a PF.
"Lunk" is PF's word for meathead, a derogatory term for men who are into lifting that implies they aren't very smart.

that picture is actually really sad

>"Lunk" is PF's word for meathead, a derogatory term for men who are into lifting that implies they aren't very smart.

Oh. Well that seems ironic for a judgement free zone.

I just dont get it. I dont feel Ive ever been judged at a gym. I thought everyone was doing the same thing.

I had a friend that lifted that seemed perturbed by guys 'hogging' the weights, but he was a self conscious type and something of a busybody.

I just figured there are rude people anywhere. I didnt myself feel there were some disproportionate number at gyms. I think its nice that people take pride in their form, its inspiring. You would have to have an innately negative state of mind to be offended by it.

I've seen plenty of old ladies work out just fine around fit people. I kinda thought that was one of the reasons the old ladies went, to see the guys or something.

Sorry :/

You sound like a chill lad, OP.

Good luck losing weight, and if you're going just for the cardio stuff, then it's worth it. It's just ten bucks, isn't it?

Just mind your own business, maybe you can do some isolation exercises there too, while you SL the shit out of yourself at your probably homegym, as you stated here Consistency is the key, OP. Good luck.

Stop pretending you can curl 75lb dumbbells

there's more you can do with dumbbells than curl

Right. So stop acting like 75lb isn't a lot. Anytime someone brings up PF they always use 75lb as a complaint like they're maxxed out that. And IF they are maxxed out past 75lb then they've already moved onto another gym anyways

Its almost as bad as LA Fitness and their Pre and Post workout healthy smothie bar, where the smoothie is mostly sugar and more sugar from fruits, and are 400Cal alone.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the encouragement.

I dont know anything about those. My only gym experience until now is the YMCA. I didnt know there was so much politics about gyms!

I am watching youtubes on it now. It seems fair enough, if odd, and a good price (suspiciously low, in fact- how the heck do they make money on these? I keep waiting to see the catch)

I figure diet for fat loss, and the gym for cardio, but mostly as a relaxing way to get back in my old groove and get out of the house in the winter and try to fight back my circulation issues. Last winter was really hard on my legs, and I dont want to lose them, use I mean. It can get really bad sometimes and I have to very consciously coordinate my stride cuz the nerves are starting to give out I think. The doctor gave me the upshot, but I tend to avoid him cuz its always bad news I dont need to worry about, and dont feel like making a commercialized identity out of an illness.

The PF website is odd if friendly. They say they have bagel Tuesdays. I dont know why they dont have health food, or maybe they do and I dont see it. I dont quite understand eating anything at a gym, but I guess theres all types. Maybe some arent worried about their health so much and just like a reason to get out like me, which would explain all the older folks. I suppose if I get bored with it, I can just go to a different gym. If the price is legit, its a good deal just to have a bit of equipment to look forward to. Apparently they have some machines too.

Im curious about the 'slamming' thing I keep seeing. I never noticed slamming weights or why its a problem. Maybe I just wasnt paying attention. I thought it was normal to hear a little noise in weight rooms. They also have some odd proscription against 'grunting'. I have no idea. Its like they have a lot of concerns about things I've never noticed. I thought serious lifters had their own stream lined gyms anyways.

>women

I don't understand this post, so people need to stop complaining that they don't go past 75 pounds when they move to another gym? So that one thing was enough to make them switch gyms but they shouldn't complain about it.
mmk

You know what they say: "surround yourself with people that are the opposite of who you want to be. "

Thats interesting. I just heard something similar from a guy named Jordan Peterson that Veeky Forums turned me on to a few weeks ago.

>I just dont get it. I dont feel Ive ever been judged at a gym. I thought everyone was doing the same thing.
this is a normal and healthy perspective to have. I've been going to a gym for like two months and have not felt "judged" negatively at any point. no one noticed me at all at first because I looked like any of the other however many people cycle through each week and never come back. a few people have started talking to me now that I've demonstrated I'm committed to it and consistently add weight. a lot of people are there just to do their own thing and ignore everyone, and most of the people who do want to interact with other respect discipline and the drive for self-improvement, it doesn't matter what numbers you're putting up at any given time unless they're unusually impressive

anyway that's not what PF is for. PF is for the fat slobs who want to feel like they are bettering themselves but don't want to put in the work and people with weak nerves who see a real weight room filled with actually strong men as scary or dangerous. both of these types are extremely common

PF's business model is to create an "open" "unjudgmental" space not in general but for _these_ people in particular, a massive market segment highly unlikely to set foot in any other "normal" type of gym. their price is rock bottom to encourage impulse buys and discourage cancellation ("well, it's only ten dollars..."). this crowd tends to spend very little time in the gym, if any at all. many probably keep the membership and never show just to have the feeling of belonging to a gym (the aforementioned people who want to believe they are betting themselves more than they want to do it). I'd bet there are tons who show up for pizza day and that's it, and feel like they get their money's worth

(cont)

(cont)

all this combines to allow PF to sell way, _way_ more memberships than they'd ever have the capacity for if a nontrivial portion of them showed up regularly. the people who do actually use it as a gym are effectively subsidized by the masses who don't

anyway if it suits your purposes, it's fine. the lack of squat racks and ban on floor lifts makes it unusable for me and most people here. but think of it as a cheap whore rather than a girlfriend

As a fatty losing weight, I was incredibly intimidated by the gym (and especially by lifting) for a long time.

If I had a planet fitness I would have joined it, and been sucked into their bullshit. Luckily I didn't, and I'm now doing weight training properly.

The thing that gets me is that in their quest to get normies comfortable they judge the shit out of people who lift weights, which is compelte hypocrisy.

I think I could make it work. The price is attractive, and the proximity even moreso since Im in the burbs of the north with creeping mobility issues. It turns out there are some other trivial fees from what I gather.

I am not looking for great hypertrophy. Like I say, its mostly to have a reason and place to go in the winter, to lose some fat, gain a bit of strength and maybe more tone, and some flexibility if I am lucky.

I can see why people looking to get big might not like it, thats understandable. From what I gather, some people are intimidated by simply seeing bigger people. I didnt know it was a 'thing'.

I think maybe they are oriented towards spirit rather than building, which has a niche too. Little old ladies and people with morbid obesity need all the support they can get I guess. I am sort of surprised beginners here wouldnt like it because from what I can tell, the weights are usually open and not crowded. I imagine people wanting more would just go to a different gym. Its difficult to convey particulars of my life situation in a post, but I think it would be good for me to have a place I can go so easily year round. For me, its as much about salvaging health and improving as it is access to opportunity for recovery.

America is out of shape everywhere, and maybe this is just meant as a good starting point. Someone on YT named Woofit is knocking it pretty badly, but he isnt being rational. It just doesnt make sense to judge a kindergarten the way you would a high school. They are clearly meant for different things. I sense people may be blaming the failure of some to make improvements on the facility itself, which seems aptly equipped. Other people arent my business, and they can take responsibility for themselves...

I am just getting used to the odd language and rules. I had no idea intimidation was such a big issue, big enough to make a market around. It seems absurd to me, but what do I know, how people think. Im more disturbed to learn this timid character issue is so apparently rampant than PFs somewhat counterintuitive marketing.

But its nice to know the machines will likely be open if I start using them. I mean to, it just wasnt my focus.

Presently, I am watching Eliot Hulse's take on it.

Thank you for the very thoughtful input, I appreciate it.

I'm using planet fitness until I can afford LA fitness again. It's good for what I need it for(cardio essentially). The ones in my area have a more diverse group than fit makes it out to have. Muscle guys of all ages, chubbies of all ages, skinnies of all ages, etc.

I despise that they give bagels and pizza, but if you can't be around temptation and refuse, you're going to probably fail anyway.

I figure its meant as a starting place. I can see why it would appeal to low energy folk. Some want an experience more than results and psychologically, I guess you need the latter first. Whether they advance or not is up to them I guess. Some people, like senior citizens, probably like it since they arent seeking the same goals as someone in their 20s.

As long as I am left in peace if I choose to do a little strength training and behave as normally as I thought all people did in gyms, lifters or not, I think I should be ok.

I wouldnt feel intimidated. Im sorry that you did. What matters is that you got through it, and I bet you are rightly proud of yourself, and would not feel intimidated again. Exercise is such a basic human need that its only reasonable to think people must start in different places, so theres no reason to feel one way or the other about it, just like rich and poor folks have different stories, goals, and all self improvement itself is valid, regardless of where or how.

I dont even like the term 'exercise' because it makes it sound like a pointless activity. I can think of plenty of better terms, like improvement, enhancement, normalizing, recovering, growing. Its not exercise really, to me. Its using the body to validate the person using it.

Once, I asked myself if I had the self respect I wanted. Then I realized I must have it because I wanted it.

To want something is a natural, self validating thing. It says you think enough of yourself to deserve something, and I think that matters.

Thank you for the insight. I am glad you grew and recovered well to a healthy place.

>if you can't be around temptation and refuse, you're going to probably fail anyway.

Thats sort of how I see it. I am seeing all the odd food they have in videos, and figure its a good way to practice discipline. I guess there is a demand for it. What health and fitness and reasons for pursuing gym routines mean to different people vary I guess.

I figure life is hard for a lot of people in ways we cant see, often on the inside, in peoples heads, in their pasts. So failure is going to be the most common outcome rationally. The same person that slams pizza and bagels at a PF is the same person at another gym who is going to binge when he gets home. We are not only different in where we start physically, but mentally too.

Most people are going to fall to the side, and its normal just not desirable. We cant blame one person for the race's tendency to fail, nor can we credit the whole race for one persons determination, nor use the odds of failing for the race to excuse the person either.

So I figure if even a percentage of people get something out of it that they wouldn't have had the drive to find otherwise, then perhaps as worth it.

Its wrong to shame lifters just for succeeding as it is to blame the instrument for a bad musician, is how I see it.

I must go, thanks to all who helped, and all of you were helpful, I appreciate it very much as I get oriented. Have a good night & be blessed.

>Anyway Friday rolls around and they are giving away pizza to people at the door.

burgers, fucking KEK

np. best of luck

I've been going to a planet fitness for the past 6ish months OP.

That cult-ish vibe is just their marketing. Once you go in there it's just a normal gym.

No barbells, and dumbbells only go up to 75 suck, but if you're just starting out you don't need dumbbells above 75 for a couple months and though while not optimal I do squats and deads on the smith machines. Again it's not optimal but you're still going to get stronger.

They have these like pre-loaded barbells but they only go up to 70, but still useful for just starting out and OHP and shit.

In my 6 months I've only seen one posting about a pizza party and have actually never seen or heard the lunk alarm used.

All in all planet fitness gets a way worse rap then it deserves. The demographic varies quite a bit. You have a few huge shredded guys, some seniors, lotta milfs, divorcee dads, teens, and 20 somethings.

It's an ok starter gym, especially if it's your first gym and you're anxious or ashamed or w/e. Or if you just want cardio.

No, pizza.

>JUDGEMENT FREE JUDGEMENT FREE JUDGEMENT FREE but no weighted pullups allowed, sorry (true story)
>Propaganda blaring on eighty TV screens at once, drowned out by shitty pop music
>Nauseating color scheme
>Sugar water and actual fucking candy for sale at the front desk
>Smith machines only
My lanklet friend refuses to come to my gym unless I pay for the guest fee (which is reasonable, $20 is ridiculous), but every time I walk out of Planet Shitness I die a little

>What exactly does 'judgement free' mean?
Means your fatness is encouraged but if you are muscular or fit in any way you are judged and banned from entering the gym. It's leftist newspeak.

Connor Murphy Trains at Planet Fitness

youtube.com/watch?v=kt0s_VIg2xc

>As long as I am left in peace if I choose to do a little strength training and behave as normally as I thought all people did in gyms, lifters or not, I think I should be ok.
depends on the pf, really. I went to one with a friend (her membership), and got kicked off the leg press because 'gymtimidation'. I wasn't grunting or slamming the weights, I was just lifting enough that somebody complained

It works for me because the only other gym in my town is 30 minutes from work and home. PF is not that great of a gym if you're trying to be a powerlifter or even competitive in bodybuilding. It's obvious that they don't cater to that crowd but I've never seen the lunk alarm go off or anyone get tossed for grunting. Bottom line is, for $10 a month if you're an average lifter(like 99.99999999% of the morons here) and want to do some cardio, it's a great deal. Who gives a shit if they offer pizza and bagels or their goal is to have you sign up, pay the monthly fee and then never come back. They don't force you to eat that shit and they don't prevent you from going.

I really get a lot of pleasure from being tall. Life is shit for everyone but I always think about how I could be living this same life on this same shit planet but I could be 5'8'' instead of 6'3'' and girls wouldn't say "oh ur sooo tall user teehee" and I wouldn't be able to look down on inferior little beta male midget boys and scare them just by being the size I am without trying.

Even in the gym I see these super buff guys putting up 285 for reps which I won't be able to do for years, but they are under 6 feet and every girl in the gym is looking at me instead of them just because of my genetics. All the effort in the world and they will still be small and look like they are compensating.

Also my dick is big. God life is good.

I can see why a person might be happy to be tall. But I cant quite figure why someone would be unhappy to be short. It just doesnt make sense to be perpetually unhappy about immutable things. It just seems like a path to perpetual misery. Its just not rational.

Its a question of self worth and value. Take any disadvantage, perhaps being short around taller folk, or being disabled. Its natural to perhaps reflect on it and see it as unfortunate like being born into poverty, or with physical disability. But to dwell on it seems insane. It assumes all things are static, as though more fortunate people are immune from bad fortune somehow. Too often I have seen fortunate people, whether good looking, wealthy or ('tall') suffer terrible misfortunes in life to envy those qualities or resent my own state of life.

> 'judgement free'

It means they won't judge you if you sign up and never come in.
Just keep paying them so you can keep telling people "yeah i've got a gym membership, i workout"

well if it helps you, aside from the fact that the poster is of a mythical creature, they're literally two different species

so imagine yourself on a treadmill staring at a picture of a large male gorilla.

Same thing

It isnt a "judgement free zone" if you want to lift weights for most any goal. If you look big, or lift too heavy, or perform certain exercises there is a "lunk alarm" that goes off and youll get asked to leave/kicked out. Not even joking, look it up.

Certain equipment is basically off limits, and I guess the only point of having it there is a honey pot for "lunks" so they can get kicked out.

They probably dont want members who go to the gym 5-6 times a week as they want more members than they can actually serve, so only want members that dont come often and kick out those that do actually go often.

youtube.com/watch?v=8eAj08nAFP4

youtube.com/watch?v=Odg2K25sLGg

It means they are pandering to people who will only show up once or twice, and then will be too lazy to end their contract. Same reason they have a pizza party. Gyms like that don't want to to show up, they want you to sign a contract on the one day you feel motivated after watching some inspirational YouTube video.

holy shit this must be the average fitizen going into an autismo rage at planet fitness
youtube.com/watch?v=umFtq_GOyxo

It's a business model that preys upon people who lack the determination to follow through with their goals, but equipment is equipment. If you're not already swole, it's a good a place as any to start out. I've seen a decent share of big guys (for you) lift there, and they've never set off the lunk alarm, and you can block out the annoying pop music with headphones.