Why is the Overhead Press not included in powerlifting instead of the Bench Press?

Why is the Overhead Press not included in powerlifting instead of the Bench Press?

>more interesting to watch
>requires more athletic ability
>not sitting down like a fatass

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

> sitting to bench press
Lad I think you're doing it wrong

I'm also curious about this, too. Bench press seems like the inferior lift to The Press™

Whats a push press? Whats the difference between it and OHP?

Because you can use your legs to cheat

Bruh powerlifting is already plagued with people using cheat form and cheat ROM, OHP will be a disaster.

Hell, the reason the olympic press was taken out of the olympics was because it was too hard to judge and people kept trying to break their backs to get better leverage.

you can cheat in any of the 3 lifts in powerlifting though

there are rules in place, so rules can be put in place for ohp

push press uses your legs for momentum

Becuase it was contested in the olympics as part of weightlifing.

why cant rules just be set in place like any of the other lifts?

Because of the ridiculous layback people would use

See attached image

Squat depth judging is already a shitshow. You could put rules on how far someone can bend back, but everyone will try to push the rules and it will ultimately be a judging clusterfuck.

>sasuga za pressu

Setting a limit on layback would be way too hard to judge. Look at how often people fuck up squat depth calls

because powerlifting is a sport for lazy bastards

>that wrist position

JUST

youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU

He's talking about how bent his wrists are. Justin even says it there too that he's not Nicolas Caging the bar.

>not sitting then laying to set up for the bench

well you dont dive onto the bench you retard

Just allow it to be a push press. A clean and push press without a jerk.

It'd certainly be lolworthy seeing these 350lb fatmen try to clean and push press 500lbs.

Mirin' that standing incline bench press

This

newb

Kek

bench: involves chest, triceps, front delts
ohp: involves front delts, triceps (less than horizontal presses because limited by delts), chest (negligibly)

if you only have one lift to test upper body pressing musculature bench makes sense, and it's also easier to judge

Just utilize fencing technology. One sensor strip/pad near the shoulder blades and an L shaped sensor that comes up from the lower back. If they touch then the attempt doesn't count and the weights have to be reset before the next attempt.

those manlets are like 160 lbs

>requires more athletic ability

you answered your own question

I was missing that reaction image. Have a (You) user.

What's with bending that back on OHP? Isn't it like really bad for your spine? Then again I guess if you're a powerlifter trying to squat 600 pounds snapping your shit is a risk you're ok with.

powerlifting is bad for your body in general but it's about the numbers

Sure, but the ridiculous arch or snatch-width grips people use to bench are a-okay!

>[bench is] easier to judge

No it isn't. One has to judge if the lifter's ass stayed on the bench, if he waited for the press command, if he heaved the bar off his chest, and probably more.

All you have to judge for a The Press is if the knees came unlocked or if the bar reversed direction on the ascent. One of which you also have to judge on the bench press.

The real reason bench press is still included in powerlifting over a The Press, is that equipment babbies can't inflate their The Press number nearly as much via silly bullshit elastic shirts as they can with a bench press. So these idiot lolfeds (which is ALL powerlifting feds) can claim they have lifters that bench 700 lbs when it'd be a fucking miracle if they could bench 500 lbs without the bullshit shirt.

where have those old school round barbells dissapeared? I think they should make a comeback,like fixed weights in 50 pound increments to have something to aspire too,paint them judo style,white green yellow etc according to the weight

haha ok raffy

They were filled with sand. I sure do wonder why modern gyms don't want to keep tubs of sand around.

well,let's fill them with lead then

You're an idiot, judging whether someone hyperextends his back too much is pretty fucking difficult on ohp

How did you get the oldschool captcha back? I want that too instead of clicking on endless boxes with cars

Hard to judge: excessive back arching is dangerous and hard to draw a definite line, excessive vs natural posture

They could always just limit how far back you could lean, like say the angle between the floor and your back has to be greater than 60 degrees or something.