Can anything compete with a standing overhead press?

can anything compete with a standing overhead press?

>most muscle activation
>best test of strength
>most rewarding progress

and I'm not talking about the pussyfied rack version, but the one in which you deadlift the weight, clean it and then do the presses.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>most muscle activation
patently false
>best test of strength
of the front delts
>most rewarding progress
ebin opinion

0/3, saged

Personally a fan of the full depth front Squat on all 3 metrics.

I personally find I can lift more overhead when I powerclean it first, as I get way more upper back and core tightness from the catch and rack than I could by hyping myself up in a rack

>I personally find I can lift more overhead when I powerclean it first

I've read this here a few times but never seen any sort of explanation. Your post has made me want to try it tomorrow.

You mean clean and press, especially if done with a logbar or dumbbells

what about the grip? power clean grip should be wider than for the press.

I like being about to do handstand push ups without a wall, you can be a douche and do them anywhere without equipment and looks damn impressive.

Over head press weight is sufficiently light compared to clean weight than you can just do it narrower, and catch it with stacked wrists

If you could ohp any decent amount, you wouldn't want to be cleaning it beforehand

5 sets - can't clean 100kg 5 times?

i don't get this logic - can you explain?

I'm calling you a weak bitch cuz we both know you can't even hit 1pl8

oh yeah, good point

>tfw 35kg max

Will seated dumbell press help me progress through OHP? Coupled with lateral raises and facepulls, I can definitely see my shoulders growing but I feel like a bitch when I can barely progress with proper form.

Don't do them seated on a bench with back support, because that will make you lean on it, so you'll arch your back and not tighten your core properly.

Either do them seated on a flat bench with no back support, do them standing, or do them seated on the ground, Z-Press style.

For the ohp, micro loading on a barbell is way better than any assistance exercise though. I got 8 0.25kg 2" weights on Amazon for £10 and they changed the game for me.

Also, keep eating, and make sure your grip is sufficiently narrow

Fuck I want to learn to do this so much. I can already OHP my bodyweight wirh a bar, but at the moment balancing on my hands is the tricky part

brothers, it may be because this is my first week lifting, it may be because this "push" day was directly after my "pull" and I was sore, it may be because this was directly after hitting the bench, but when I went to OHP yesterday, I could only lift the bar. (only tried adding 10lbs to each side, couldn't find 5lbs) I am not a manlet, but I am VERY weak. Perhaps this is because that when I had mono last summer, from eating out my gf too much (not proud but can't help it), and when I took the prescribed steroids to cure it, one of the side effects was muscular atrophy. Didn't bother me then, because I didn't care about this kind of thing, but am now seeing the effects of it quite clearly. I'm about to go do legs, so this hasn't discouraged me, however, I do see some kind of sick amusement out of it that someone in their late teens could be so physically weak. It is motivating in a way.

I can only OHP the bar too, it's okay

try going to the gym dyel

OHP is hardest lift when it comes to weight

that bar is 45 poons

I can only OHP for reps 70-90 poons without

it loads your back/stabilizing muscles for the lift like you did the negative of a rep without actually fatiguing the muscles by doing a rep.

injured my left shoulder saturday overhead pressing. did my 2 sets then on the third first rep my left shoulder i could feel something wrong. Cut the upperbody work short. Still sore today when i move it around. What do? I have had this happen before. I think it is due to strength imbalance my right is much stronger than my left. How to work on this?

>first week of lifting
>doing ppl
why do you want to fail?

Dumbbells are worth a go, and whenever your shoulders are an issue, do your upper back work seriously (face pulls, band pull aparts, rear delt flies, then your row and chin up variants) and stretch the forearms, biceps, pecs, traps and front Delts.

I find my back arching, but I'm not sure if it's too much. I did a 10% deload and it was okay. I find my back arches less if I go really slowly. Advice?

Anyone got an opinion on standing OHP vs seated OHP? Ive always done seated just cause its what I started with

Any amount is sub ideal, although obviously this can't be helped when you're at maximum exertion. Work on thoracic mobility (check out max shanks YouTube channel) and upper back strength. Try the Z press, as an assistance exercise, it doesn't allow for much in the way of arching, especially with a barbell

Try some standing variations, and try some seated variations without back support and see what you think of them.

Z press, standing press (1 arm and 2 arm, Inc push variants of both)

Watched Alan Thrall's stuff - he says to have your grip just wider than shoulder width which I did a while ago. I noticed sit was a bit 'easier'. Is my grip possibly too narrow?

Also, I feel some chest exertion while OHPing probably while back arches. Is this a sure sign it's wrong or is it ok?

If it's easier and it doesn't hurt, that's probably a good thing, it's worth experimenting and seeing what feels good

Upper chest engagement is to be expected to a certain extent, those fibres are shortening when you raise an arm overhead

its called a clean and jerk you faggot

a jerk is not a press you dumb homo

I think that my core is not as strong as it's supposed to be and is greatly limiting my OHP progress. Are there any core iso movements that could help me with that? Are planks enough?

OHP is not nearly as good for your shoulders as BNP.

I am very sore and my lower back hurts. he-he-he (taking rest day tomorrow then going back for friday, saturday, sunday

why would you advise against PPL? no pain no gain buddeh

Actually really fucking impressive.

>ohp decent amount
>talks about 1pl8
what are you 12?

1pl8 isn't bad for the average lifter, people rarely hit anything over 160. I've seen someone get mired for repping 145

Swap out between high volume/medium intensity and low volume/high intensity, my man. 3x5 and 3x12 got me to 135, a 5-3-1 pyramid got me to 160, and now a 12-12-10-8 got me to 175. Try it out bb

i'd say a good weight to OHP is 80kg/176lb

if you can't clean that much weight like its nothing (with that as your OHP) then idk what the fuck you've been doing

>most muscle activation
>weakest lift
>not even in the big 3 anymore
Pick 2. And pick the last two

Also
>best test of strength
>most rewarding progress
It's like you purposefully left out deadlifts

Also also
>deadlift the weight, clean it, and then do the presses
You either have a really bad understand of what a clean entails or you're a crossfitter

Proper ab rolls will get your core shredded. You can also weighted Allah prayers and weighted ab extension.

PPL is fine, hes probably just a SS cultist

Favorite lift but my left shoulder always hurts

>most muscle activation
So you watched a youtube video or something? This is obviously incorrect.

>5-3-1 pyramid, 12-12-10-8
can you google these terms

>got mono from eating pussy too much
>cured it with steroids

what the fuck are you talking about? mononucleosis is caused by a virus transmitted through bodily fluids. you would have gotten it just from kissing her, eating pussy has nothing to do with it. and why your dr would have given you a course of steroids makes no fucking sense

he is chad

the steroids were to treat severe tonsil inflammation. worked like a charm, but left me sore as fuck for about two months. one of the side effects was muscular atrophy. can't confirm it was eating her out, but one of her female friends had it, she visited her a lot while she was sick, and then I started showing symptoms about two weeks later. of course it wouldn't make sense to you because you're not a doctor you faggot.

Because you're progressing slower and despite what these dumbasses think you'll probably look like shit since most PPLs are absolute trash.

This is the one I'm doing

reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/

SS looks too simple because I want to incorporate accessory lifts

Do you go to a gym? Do they not have the smaller bars designed for ohp? The gym I go to has smaller bars that go up to 80 lbs and I use those for OHP, will go up to the proper bar when I actually need it.

Sorry mate, didn't know what else to call them. Pretty much 5-3-1 pyramid is 5 reps, 3 reps, and then finally 1 rep at 95-97% of your ORM. The other one is 12 reps, 12 reps, 10 reps, then 8 reps

I like seated one arms. They're fun, and very slight (natural) sideways lean while pressing overhead works core a little more.

SS isn't the only fullbody program out there. That one is fine but you are still spending longer to get essentially the same gains.

ramping sets

God damn it, you unlifting retard, if you are a novice, and you clearly are, you need to do SS without accessory lifts. Your new ass doesn't currently need the extra volume and stress to drive progress, it will only cause trouble recovering for the next workout.

Keep your shit together, Do The Fucking Program, and after that's done (six months, tops, really), you're ready for a weekly program with smartly program assistance lifts. Just not some fucking PPL program, as they are all shit.

will it take me longer because I'm not allotting enough time for recovery? I'm doing PPLXPPLX so I have a day in between, not PPLPPLX

hmm

>listening to tripfags

not even one time

Unfortunately my (home gym) ceiling is only 7' so I have to do seated OHP

chaddest person I have ever seen

sexy...who is he?

haha ok raffy

What's the difference between OHP and military press?

I only do military presses.

No it's taking longer because you're only hitting each muscle group twice a week, whereas fullbody lets you hit them 3x per week.

As long as total weekly volume is equated higher frequency leads to better results.

its a clean and jerk you mong

would have loved to see him fail. just smash his pretty little colgate smile at terminal velocity into the stage.

whad the fugg D:

>not doing behind the neck overhead press

Sage Northcutt, 20-year-old MMA fighter.

It's the only compound that gives me ab doms.

>Dat explosiveness

There's no reason for beginners to not do accessories as long as they still do their compounds and do them first

>having a pair of healthy shoulders

boi tier Barberena did this after beating him lel

Is that where you shout "pakis out" after every rep?

standing dumbell ohp is better

>tfw stuck at 1 plate OHP for months

I hear this is pretty bad for shoulders. Although I do know a bunch of Oly lifters who do it and they never seem to get shoulder problems.

sitting*

You tried any variations? Tried working in Z Press recently and it hammers my front delts. Could be good if you're sticking near the bottom of the lift.

too bad barberena lost his last fight, it was looking really good for him after that big uppercut he landed in the 2nd

Can anyone tell me what exactly is happening when I "tweak" my neck?

Wednesday was OHP day and after my first set my neck got kind of tight. It didn't hurt and wasn't debilitating, so I went for the second set. While resting after the second set it got tighter and stiff to the point that I couldn't turn my head completely to the right. Again, no real pain, just soreness, so I just went home and threw a heating pad on it. I've had this happen a couple times while OHPing, which is why I knew when to just stop after the second set. What exactly is it? I like lifting but I'm pretty ignorant towards how it all actually works. I did 2x5 @ 142 lbs if that matters.

tfw as soon as i add weight to the bar im dropping reps by the 2nd and 3rd set

Is this normally how UFC is officiated? You have to literally be unconscious for the fight to be stopped or what?

nah the refs aren't usually that retarded

it depends on the ref, but generally it goes on for a bit longer than boxing fights do (and people do come back and win fights)

it didn't help that in that particular fight Wilkinson kept almost recovering before getting waylaid again, and it looked like Bahadurzada was on the verge of gassing himself out as well

how you know you are stuck? cantyou finish your sets?

thanks bb, wasn't aware of the term

>lifting today
>turbodyel is pressing lmao0.5pl8 in the fucking squat rack
>girl is pressing 15 kg (one of those set weight bars)
>i warm up, and work my up to 70 kg (new PR), do three sets of five reps
>then five sets at 1pl8, then two clean&press triples (it's fun, try it)
>honestly can't tell which one of the two was miring more
good feel
going to a normie gym is bliss, just train seriously for six months and 95% of the time you're by far the strongest person in the room

i understood that reference

I always try to avoid shoulder injuries by doing accessories after my OHP, front raises, side raises, dumbell presses, facepulls etc.

People always say those are things you should avoid, but I've never had shoulder problems and I think its because I do this.

front raises after OHP are a waste desu, the other shit is fine

is this what jealousy and beta rage looks like?

>tfw nailed 125 lbs for 3 reps
1 PL8 OHP HERE I COME

sounds like a wanged rotator cuff. i'd say take it easy. don't work the shoulders until the pain subsides. may take a couple of weeks. then slowly ease back into shoulder training.

you have to be strict; don't jump ahead before your shoulder is ready - if you fuck it up, it will become a recurring injury and affect almost upper body lifts permanently and you'll be consigned to the manlet/dyel pit for eternity.

in future, make sure you keep hydrated and take the time to warm up and gently exercise your rotator cuffs before jumping into OHP cold. dumbbells or landmines allow shoulder to move in a more natural range of motion.

Probably just thinking what a fucking retard. Bet you were maintaining eye contact through your lifts as well kiddo!

>being this autistic

t. weak dyel