strava.com/features
helpfulrunner.com/tools/running-training-pace-calculator.php
runnersworld.co.uk/health/the-rw-complete-guide-to-stretching-for-runners
runnersconnect.net/running-injuries/
archive.is/VGoxG
youtube.com/watch?v=e7m205ZIxBE
letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Posted this on /meg/, maybe a fitman can give his thoughts.

>been running 3x a week
>expecting to get a call for my contract any day now

>strained my LCL on an 18 mile run last week, can't do more than 5 miles before it starts to seize up and I have to walk it out

I've been doing my LCL stretches religiously and cautiously for the last few days, and they're helping a lot, but this is the worst possible time for my knees to suddenly get unreliable on me.

Are LCL strains normal? Should I stick to the elliptical until it's calmed down?

Yeah, it's strained. I would recommend getting it looked at first but you need to go slow on it, ice it after you run. walk on your off days to get blood working through it and keep stretching.

I showed it to a physical therapist friend of mine, that's the only reason I know it's an LCL sprain and what the correct stretches are. He only works with old people though, so he couldn't tell me how long I need to wait or if it'll ever get back to 100%.

Thanks though, taking it slow for a while seems like the right move.

Threadly reminder lads: strava.com/clubs/fitizens

Need more OP sticky.

Last night was a rest day. Tonight I am working. No run till long Friday run.

Low mileage week then.

I have pectus excavitum.

I've started running again last week and I get super tired and winded at a mile in.

also I have a big anterior pelvic tilt so it looks like im hunched forward when I run.

running distance sucks, getting back in shape sucks

What is this for?

Right now I'm to about 8 miles a week and average 8:30 minute miles.

Love fall and getting to run in hoodies. No more getting cock stabbed by car keys for me

where was this picture taken?

E-stating and potentially getting doxxed.

>GOTTA GO FAST!!!

>Training Plans
halhigdon.com/training/
c25k.com/
ultramarathonrunning.com/training/

>Strava
strava.com/features

>Sharing on Strava with the /fitizens/
strava.com/clubs/fitizens

>Pace Calculator
helpfulrunner.com/tools/running-training-pace-calculator.php

>Stretches
runnersworld.co.uk/health/the-rw-complete-guide-to-stretching-for-runners

>running injuries and how to treat them
runnersconnect.net/running-injuries/

>How to Buy the Right Running Shoes
archive.is/VGoxG

>running form
youtube.com/watch?v=e7m205ZIxBE

>Sprint Training Advice
>A number of current and former professionals and coaches have posted in this thread. Read it thoroughly.
letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196

How far have you run this week?
What are you working on?
How was your last run?
Any new gear that you've been enjoying?

Nothing like the crisp fall air mang

No idea

Cheapest running shoes?

Nike Men's Flex 2016 RN are decent for about 50-60 bucks

Saw some black Nikes for 45 but you probably have to find them in store

slickdeals.net/f/10530996-nike-men-s-fs-lite-run-4-running-shoes-black-anthracite-45-free-store-pickup

A scholar and a gentleman.

I just went for my first run in years.

I've always been afraid of car bullies and I live in the middle of the country side where the roads have no footpaths and barely enough room for a car and half - so you can either run on the roads and dive into the ditch when a car comes by or run through the fields and potentially get shot. But today I found a little abandoned path, it was totally overgrown and the only buildings I saw were ruined houses.

It was great, the atmosphere was so nice. It was near the river so there was always the sound of running water. There was one part where it went right by the river-bank with the sky blotted out by leafy branches and you had to step over big roots.

I'm tired now but I enjoyed it.

>or run through the fields and potentially get shot
wtf

What's a good running shoe that can also double as casual sneaker?
aka something that doesn't look like plastic and screaming neon colors

From the tropics and curious: how much does your gear/routine change at

>15 °C
>10 °C
>5 °C

Running shoes for running. Other shoes for other stuff.

Nike do a nice colourway black Pegasus 34. Comfortable as fuck and a good cushioned runner

I'm in then !

>15 °C
Shorts and tshirt
>10 °C
If sunny, shorts and tshirt. Else, shorts and long sleeved tshirt.
>5 °C
Light pants and long sleeved tshirt

Routine doesn't really change

picked pic related up a few months ago, really comfortable only downside is that i got a blister on my left foot the first few times i ran in them.
currently running 12 km a day, really want to run a half marathon a day.

My standard routine is 4 miles four days a week in conjunction with squat days. Some times I go harder but I'm recovering a shin splint from a summer of 60 lbs weight vest 5 mile hikes 3 days a week. Bad idea. I buy cheap shoes and use dr. Shoals athletic inserts.

>How many miles a week do you run
I try for 5-6 days out of the 7, this week is slacking due to work
>Avg time
Depends. I try to do 8km minimum, 5km if I am being a faggot and suffering. Long runs up to around 24km but I want to up that this week to compensate. Time is anything from around 40 minutes to over 2hours on the ground.
>slow
>Shoes
Mizuno. Wide, flat hobbit feet in neutral shoes that are wide.
>Favorite paths/routes
Down to the park. My 24km podcast powered meander.

>come near 70% of 1/2/3/4
>WHILE ALSO being a runner, 18 min on 5km
>ITS TIME TO GO TO SI JOINT DISORDER SNAP CITY

and then user was the 2 months struggling with some shitty right hip join that doesnt want to move and almost randomly snaps back into breaking, and needing pain killers to sleep mode

injury question for my fellow /run/ners:

>right side of my right leg near my knee has been bugging me for the past 2 weeks
i believe it was from squatting or jumping rope but i've taken time off of running to recover. could be meniscus strain. how did you deal with it? the last thing i want is a tear and to have to get surgery. i've been swimming and cycling in the meantime

pic unrelated

Just got back from a mandatory running lesson.
2k@140bpm
2k@160-170bpm
1k@+170bpm
1k timed 3:50 topping at 188bpm

I was pretty happy considering the fact that we used a pretty hilly and shitty trail for our run.

>tfw exercise induced asthma
>no comfy fall runs
Shotgunpepe.bmp

Testing my knees today after 3 days of rest. Wish me luck, and pray to the running gods.

>shitty and hilly trail
Those are the best runs.

Back after 8 km. No pain in either knees, but they feel stiff as fucking rusting sockets.

> How many miles a week do you run
> Avg time
Just getting back into it after cycling was more important during the summer. 2x 1 hour per week atm, pace feels like it's around 5:30 / km.

> Shoes
Need new ones. Brooks Pure Flow, and falling apart.

> Favorite paths/routes
The more trail, the better. But I also run on pavement occasionally. Want to get back to doing one speed session on the track in a few weeks.

Questions to all you runners here:

1) I want to run a marathon in december (off road). Any training tips?

2) Advice on a running watch? I'd like to see where and how far I ran afterwards, how fast I'm going when I look at it, would like it to help with interval training (beep or vibrate or w/e at pre-set intervals) and it'd be great if it could also do cycling-related stuff.

how can i strengthen my knees?

been pretty inactive these past 4 years due to desk job and sitting on my ass 95% of the time

i run mon/wed/fri but get pain in my knees after

should i consider doing hourly walks daily to try and get my lower body used to actually moving?

I'm about 20lbs from my goal weight (BMI 20), how much time could I expect to shave off my mile pace just from losing the extra weight?

I'm sure I've heard a general rule of thumb before.

Are you overweight? Because running could be too hard on your knees if so.

im 5"11, 210 pounds 31 y/o male so a little bit but not massivley

I'm trying to start running but I have no running shoes. I have no money and just started a new job that won't pay me until the end of the month.

I do have an old pair of converse though. Is it safe to run in those until I get paid?

started jogging, realized that I've been doing it wrong for all these years.

Thought you were supposed to hit the stride on your front foot, which gave me pain in my shin and calf but I thought it was mainly due to weakness. Then I just tried hitting the stride on the middle of my foot, which didn't give me any pain at all, neither there or in my knees. Now I just have to deal with

>tfw no good running shoes
>tfw no good running environment
>tfw fat

Lunges squats glute bridges

No those have no support

Always land with your feet underneath you. Your feet in front of your body is acting like a brake and all that shock is not going to distribute through your body and mess up your legs, knees and etc.

I think I'm doing that, but I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm going on a jog.

Took me a while too get the hang of it. Battery died on my phone listening to music and heard my feet clomping.

I was concerned with time, but now just go to enjoy being outside. Same thing with my breathing. I would breath hard even though I'm not physically tired. I try to keep my breath even, 3-4 seconds in/out.

I dont know if it's the correct way to breath but it works for me.

I always have felt that sort of advice for newbies, "always land with your feet underneath you", isn't particularly useful. They start making too conscious of an effort to do it and they either end up making worse form mistakes or they hamper their speed. Unless you're planning on being a really serious runner, your form isn't really that important since you won't be running enough to get seriously injured. Even then it seems a lot of people don't pay much attention to form - haven't there been a few studies where they filmed people at various intervals of marathons and at the 8km mark 90% were heel striking and toward the end practically everyone was?

>at the 8km mark 90% were heel striking and toward the end practically everyone was?
For most people, their goal is just to complete a marathon to cross it off their bucket list. I would love to find that one statistic that around 36% of people who complete a marathon never run again.

The closer they get to mid foot striking the less chance of injury. For myself I always over strided like an idiot trying to go faster. Speed was my only concern.

Just start slow with a comfortable place. You can increase speed over time but if you run with wonky form it'll make it harder later on me thinks.

8:00 per mile
Asics GT-1000 3 and Nike Pegasus
Bay Trail and Mountain Trail

Jesus that's a lot of mileage

Its relative. I also don't go to the gym, I come here mostly for the running threads

It's healthy to lose weight until 5-6% body fat for males, AFAIK

>100miles a week
>4:30 to 5:30 per km depends on my how my bowel reacts
>underarmour charged
>from home to Eiffel Tower then back, 24km of bliss

25-32 recently
8:00/mile
Gel Flux 2
I plan route going through my city, somewhat different every time

9 min
Puma Faas 300 V4
Run through town I don't really like going through paths

>>from home to Eiffel Tower then back

that must be pretty cool, and the migrants trying to rob you would help keep your pace up

As in they never enter another event again, or just drop out of running (even just 90 minutes of light jogging a week) altogether? Because the latter's just sad.

>10 miles a week, getting back into it
>8:30 pace
>I wear nondescript adidas trail runners but historically I've worn higher end asics. Could get 500 miles out of them easily if you only wear them to run in.
>favorite trails are in my hometown outside of Atlanta but I like piedmont park ATM.

There's a hill near where I live that I've been using for something vaguely approximating hill repeats:

>Maybe 8m change in elevation over 100m, run as fast as I can
>Walk down the other side, 160m
>Jog back to start of hill, 370m and repeat

Does this sound like something useful, or have I just made some bullshit up

why no gym user?

Same

can you hit the gym and run after? what's recommended?

Skip the gym. Join us in the light my son. Save that membership money, buy some decent running shoes, and accept Jesus as your savior!!!

I realize that but what I ant to know is if I'm I liable to hurt myself using them until the end of the month to jog at a beginner's pace and distance?

but I'm tired of being a skinny fag user

Never ran for exercise in my life before. I used to go on long walks when I was in high school and I really loved it. I'm not athletic in the slightest but I want to get right.

I want to go on 30 minute runs every single morning. Obviously I'm going to work up to that but it's my goal. I want to start every day with purpose. This is realistic, right?

Read the sticky and try couch to 5K.

>This is realistic, right?
30 minutes of solid jogging? I don't think so.
I'm just starting out to and C25K recommends starting with a 20 minute mix of running and brisk walking which I struggled with.

Granted I've also been a heavy smoker for the past 2 years so maybe you would be able to jog for 30 minutes.

I helped my sister run and they weren't active. In two weeks they could do a mile and half with no problem.

Couch to 5K will help. You got this man.

Why should I run?
if you convince me, i'll go to the local park and run on the soft grass

You won't be a skinny fag, you'll be a lean fag. There's at least a little bit less shame in that. Honestly though, it's worth it. Lifting is a meme, running is a life changer. Besides, you can still do calisthenics and what not for lasting results. Do you wanna go Ricky piano mode or Bruce "whooped chuck Norris" Lee mode?

>jesus
>running in sandals
>minimum to barefoot trails
>road to damascus ultra
kekking

Ooooh, and I got dubs. Spicy.

Not the original guy but I only do running and calisthenics and I look alright. I'm in the military and not a pog, don't really want to lift that much because I think it would hurt my test results

But was he not shredded in his final hours?

Screencapped and put into my "user's advice" folder. Thanks, boyos.

I tried going for a while but didn't really like it. There's alot of people

>all those elevationlets

Be consistent and you'll be putting in 5ks in no time

>tfw living in flat city

I run +- 6 km every week
45 minutes
running shoes
park

I've been doing the couch to 5k plan for a few weeks now. I want to start going and coming back from campus with my bike which is a 2x40 minutes bike ride. Would this hamper my running progress?

Lean looks best imo, but I know I'm an outlier in that

For the weightfags in this thread, how to enjoy lifting? I never get anything close to the endorphin rush I get from running

Is a six minute mile pace possible for any grill with training? Or does genetics get in the way for some? Barring disabilities obviously.

I can see myself being comfortable with 7 (at about 8 right now but have some weight to lose), but I think I've been handed a shit deck for running - proportionally short stubby legs, mild exercise asthma.

>tfw ridiculously hilly town
Can't seem to find many places to fucking run without it turning into a hill climb

Biking improves running, remember that heart is a muscle that u use in both, also your vo2 is increasing as well.

I ride to work every day, make bike sprints instead of lunch, bike back home, go for a run

no harm done, remember what Piana says, if you sleep enough, eat well there is no such thing as overtraining. If needed take an icebath there and there.

>eat well
The problem is that i'm fasting every now and then. I'm trying to lose +- 1 kg a week and if I see i'm not going to make I just fast for 18 hours.

Made it through W4D1 of C25K. Went from running at a fairly nice pace to barely passing old people walking. Between the seasons changing, moving to a place with a nicer climate, and getting in shape, it should be all downhill from here. Feels pretty good senpai.

Always used to wear aasics patriots have now switched to new balance cant remember the names and numbers but mid price range light not much padding.
My cardio is mostly done on a bike but get 2-3miles twice a week with my dog. Do 7-10 milers sporadically no set plans.
use mostly chi running/ ultra style technique, my surroundings (medway towns uk) are very hilly.

whose idea was ice??? Aaaargh. 15 miles. Hnnnng

This is fucking retarded, contrary to all the memeshit you can hear in the fasting echo chamber , it is NOT healthy , it is NOT muscle sparing .

Eat well , cardio well , Rest well , will result in a weight loss that is as fast or even faster and it'll be way healthier .

>be american
>go to school
>get shot
>go for a run
>get shot
>go to mcdonalds
>don't get shot

hmmm

>Went from running at a fairly nice pace to barely passing old people walking.
>should be all downhill from here
I hope you meant the opposite.

That's only cause people in mcdonalds are so fat they can't reach their guns

Icebaths are god tier user!

whats your weight/height?
what kind of fast? IF? full water fast?

tough to advice without full info user

What exactly am I supposed to do once I finish couch to 5k? Just go for longer times?

>not the OP
What would be good is ideas for diet, amounts, intake, stuff.

You can't outrun the fork, but my poor diet is feeding in to my performance issues. I don't eat enough because I am afraid to put weight on and I never really "recover" from work or workouts.

Depends, what do you run for?

I started running so I could get an appetite and start eating again