Hypertrophy or Strength

Time to settle the debate, do you lift for size or strength?

Size Pros
>actually look like you lift instead of looking like a fat shit that talks about being strong
>aesthetics

Strength Pros
>Can actually lift sizable weight

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=l84vmuuuHRg
youtube.com/watch?v=5CtecK635eI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

As a natty though strength = size

Both

This.
Heavy compounds followed by high rep isolations. Get strong and then give them muscles a nice fluff'n'pump.

I got myself to where i was struggling though working sets with 1/2/3/4, then started hitting those for hypertrophy. Feels a lot better on my joints and body to rep out with 225 than to do small sets with higher weight. And I've got bad knees so I just squat 2.5 pl8 for volume. Pretty pleased with my aesthetics now.

Does this honestly work for you?
Whenever I have done strength training and high rep isolations, I have seen almost no progress with size
However, when I am on a program like ppl with 8-12 rep ranges, I feel like I see a bit more size increase

>However, when I am on a program like ppl with 8-12 rep ranges, I feel like I see a bit more size increase
Pump and/or more glycogen storage. It's not like you'd be able to see your "muscle" increase weekly, or even monthly. So how would you possibly notice a difference?

progress pics at the beginning and end of 6 month programs

of course, I guess I dont really know
it could be all in my head because it is actually pretty hard to tell now that i look back at the pics
all I really know is that I look better than when I started

Yes. Strength gains alone add mass. Mass equals aesthetics. Fluffing and pumping only adds to size and ability to get past stalls in heavy compounds via hitting weaknesses before they even arise. After a session my pump is godly looking. I lift less then a guy i know by a lot, we're roughly the same bf level. Yet I look like I've been lifting longer than him, even without post session pump.

Probably a stupid question, but if strength programs do better with building size, then why do hypertrophy routines like PPL, greyskull, or PHUL even exist?

I lift to look good. Couldn't care less about how many plates or whatever or 1 rep maxes. I choose weight that I can do to failure in my rep rage every set with controlled form both while lifting and lowering the weight. And I need to see my body show progress more than the weight on the bar. The tape around the chest/arms/legs needs to show good progress more than just the amount of weight.

I enjoy ego-lifting, OP. So I'm following a strenght routine.

It depends a lot, mate. If you feel good doing it, then keep doing it. But keep liftin', and, eventually, gains will come.

But I switch back and forty between strenght and hypertrophy.

Gotta confuse the muscle.

Bumper. Also, what do each of those things mean?

Strength. I'm a manlet and want to get as strong as possible while looking dyel, mostly because I think it's funny.

So basically after doing modified GSLP for a month and a half and fucking around with it I decided to switch back so SS.
What upper body and arms exercises can I add?
I am already a semi-T Rex mode DYEL

Yup

>PPL
Push/Pull/Legs. One day you do exercises centered around pushing movements, the next pulling, and the third legs.

>Greyskull
An intermediate program. Just google it to have a look at what it entails.

>PHUL

Stands for power hypertrophy upper lower. I'm not as familiar with this one, but I think it's Upper and Lower body alternating on different days as well as alternating between exercises that emphasize power and then hypertrophy alternating. It's an easy google though, much easier to understand when you see the routine yourself.

Why not train for both?

Hypertrophy builds more muscle mass than strength training. Strength routines are not optimal for mass.

Strength, and not dying. I don't need to lift for girls; happily married. I do have a lifestyle that involves a lot of canoeing and camping in the summer and walking around in the woods with a pack and rifle in the fall. This often results in having to haul large dead animals out of the woods.

Also, I'm Type II. I don't want my feet to rot off.

No

My first ~4 years of lifting were just regular bodybuilding on a hypertrophy routine, which made me reach a solid upper athletic/ripped mode, and what I deem to be a good 95% of my natty mass limit. However, after that I was still weak for my size (still am, kinda) so I decided to get on a pure strength approach as well. Currently enjoying hitting PRs, although I'm not gaining further size it seems my CNS and ligaments are catching up to make full use of my muscles

People who think there's a difference between size and strength have neither.

t. newbie lifter. What's your arm size, for example?

youtube.com/watch?v=l84vmuuuHRg

youtube.com/watch?v=5CtecK635eI

Size and strength aren't mutually exclusive. It's essentially impossible to lift "for size" without gaining strength and impossible to lift "for strength" without gaining size.