/FAST/ FASTING GENERAL

REFEEDING SYNDROME WOULD MAKE A COOL BAND EDITION

/FAST/ FASTING GENERAL

What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and fat fasting
While fasting alone is fantastic for your health, Consider doing a ketogenic in addition to become god mode

>how can I get a quick rundown? Where can I start?
dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting
dietdoctor.com/longer-fasting-regimens
youtube.com/watch?v=9idhb2aAfns

IF AND LIFTING:
leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html?

>any more info?
idmprogram.com/fed-fasted-state/
medium.com/the-mission/the-sweet-spot-for-intermittent-fasting-9aae12a2158c
youtube.com/watch?v=PKfR6bAXr-c

WHY YOU SHOULD BE DOING KETO:
youtube.com/watch?v=Dan8qtgQRi8

>autophagy:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3106288/
greatist.com/live/autophagy-fasting-exercise
dietdoctor.com/renew-body-fasting-autophagy
selfhacked.com/blog/autophagy-benefits-and-how-to-harness/
roguehealthandfitness.com/intermittent-fasting-boosters-autophagy-enhancers/
roguehealthandfitness.com/coffee-is-associated-with-lower-death-rates/

>reddit fag that did a 77 day water fast, notice how he is not 1)dead or 2)looks like a wrinkled vagina
reddit.com/r/fasting/comments/573gkb/just_completed_a_77_day_fast_ama/
PMC3106288/

>Fung talks and lectures:
youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk
youtu.be/PSR82vmZ5lk
youtu.be/v9Aw0P7GjHE

>DeLauer videos, mainly focus on tips, quick explanations of processeses backed with research, and chadliness
youtube.com/watch?v=ihrmfFlG_qc
youtube.com/watch?v=6UShUs1Wb_k

Extra:
DRINK COFFEE, DRINK GREEN TEAS
sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170827101750.htm
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24769862

Other urls found in this thread:

healthline.com/health/hypoglycemia-without-diabetes
youtube.com/watch?v=MlHMtr2gXUw
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031938415300317
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So, you guys keep posting in these generals to avoid eating?

Nice

I caved bros. It feels so good.

I hope you didn't break anything longer than a day with that

at least eat something healthy ffs

How can I fast without my stomach being loud? Even after 10 hours or so, it is audible and embarrassing.

I'm on day 5.5 of my 0 calorie water fast and been weighing myself every day. I have gone from 241 pounds to 228 pounds. I'm losing 2.34 pounds a day. Is this healthy? I feel fine but this seems to be extremely fast in terms of weight loss.

I may be erect rn

most of that is most likely water weight
how are you feeling?

>I feel fine
Faggot.

potentially stupid question, but....
that's steve1989 from MREinfo.com I watch his youtube videos reviewing MREs. I've noticed he's pretty muscular, but does he do anything fitness related? is he /ourguy/?

why did you call him a faggot?

Because he's a faggot, faggot.

i dont understand but ok i guess

Mind is sharpening up now that I am reasonably deep in. Sort of want to try drinking coffee to see if I go into god mode.

Broke my fast once by getting chinese food with some friends, ended up running to the bathroom so I wouldn't shit myself.

what's stopping you, faggot?

coffee has calories

I build a tolerance quickly so I cycle on and off it but the first few days back on coffee are amazing. I have not been productive on this fast and I want to ensure I make good use of those first few days of coffee.

why didn't you shit yourself, faggot? your friends were there, it would have been hilarious for them. some friend you are, faggot.

For the last two weeks or so, I've been skipping breakfast and lunch. I've also discovered that I can have a really filling dinner with a protein shake.

I can't be consuming more than 500 calories a day. I have no issue sustaining this, but I'm somewhat concerned about being nutritionally limited. Are there any risks in this and any mitigations I should take? I currently take a multivitamin.

You will get malnutritioned on the long run. You need fats and trace elements, even if you get all necessary vitamins from that pill (I doubt it).

I'll probably be unable to avoid at least a few social outings during the week. Assuming I get a reasonable meal, would that be sufficient?

How am I supposed to know what those meals consist of nutritionally? You need to check that yourself.

Bulking 5/6 months. Gained 12kg.
I am going to start a cat2 PSMF next month. Wish me luck

Broke my 5 day fast with nice 300g of saurkraut. Hope I wont shit myself at work

I started 16/8 IF a month ago and for the first time since then I broke my fast
>tfw I had an apple cider vinegar and cinnamon shot this morning because I had massive stomach ache

2 weeks of IF and so far I like it
Way better than suppressing hunger through the day

>1st day after 4 day refeeding cycle
>mfw, best shit taken ever, this morning

I was worried. No poops yesterday. I even made a pot of coffee this morning in prep of a rough day. I never drink coffee and on the rare occasion I do, it is great for getting the intestines going. However, as soon as I could smell the coffee, everything got going anyway.

My 10 day fast is finally over.

Was thinking of doing a twenty-eight day fast with two days of eating fruit on both ends. Is this alright?

No.

After 7 days of fasting you must make your refeed longer. You need to start out with stuff like 4oz juice mixed with 4oz water only for the first day every 4 hours. 2nd day is 4oz juice mixed with 4oz water plus 4oz bone broth every TWO hours. 3rd day is same thing plus some small things of fruit, like no more than half a cup for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 4th days is same thing but with more fruits and adding in some normal diet stuff. Keep the amounts low and drink as much water as possible. Remember to keep taking your vitamins, minerals, and salts during this time or you will get dehydrated. Do abdominal massages several times a day for at least 5 days after breaking your fast. This will help prevent constipation.

Google up more about how to refeed after an extended fast. Otherwise, you can end up killing yourself or becoming so constipated that you need medical assistance. Don't just take my word for any of this, do proper research.

How do you feel, brother?

I’ll take your word for it, user. Maybe I’ll just to a few one-week fasts instead of one long one.

1/2

A few questions

Been having the occasional diabetes like symptoms for over a year now, sudden crashes in energy levels, waves of tiredness, extreme hunger out of the blue, frequent urination. I might go days or weeks and be continuously fine, or I might have bad days for days in a row.

Went to the doctors about a year ago for a blood test, said I was fine. Does that definitely rule out pre diabetes? Or can it sometimes not show up?

So, the past year I decided to cut out sugar, start weight training etc, and while the frequency of having these moments has gone down (I no longer have to check I have emergency food in my pockets every time I go out somewhere), I still have them. Which is incredibly frustrating, because it means for hours on end I might be completely useless, unable to concentrate or do anything productive.

Maybe my insulin levels are used to a routine, if that makes sense. I'm used to having something for breakfast, something around 10.30-1.00ish, something for lunch. The advice I've been following so far has been eat little and often, so you don't go hungry and won't have crashes. But maybe this is masking the problem rather than solving it; for example, I had breakfast today, and because I had to be out somewhere I had to skip my 10.30-11.00 snack and couldn't eat until lunch, by which time I was starving, exhausted, and felt like falling asleep. At this 2 hour meeting I went to piss 3 times, whereas everyone else only went once. This was with other people having giant mugs of coffee as well, and me having a small cup of water. So I'm thinking, get my body used to going out of routine by intermittent fasting or full fasting, so that in similar situations my body will know to carry on functioning normally rather than go full REEE it's time for food you need to eat something and make me crash.

2/2

Other, normal, people seem to be able to skip meals, or have something filled with sugar for a meal, they don't really have to think about it, and function just fine. Whereas I, on my supposedly healthier than the average diet, avoiding sugar and junk food, have to regularly plan my day around how much I've eaten so I end up able to concentrate for a specific thing or whatever.

So, will intermittent or full fasting help do you think? A reset button of sort for my insulin or appetite or however it works?

And if I do do it, presumably I ll, at first, feel starving and unable to concentrate but eventually I'll get used to it?

I read a biography about Steve Jobs and he did crazy diet stuff all the time, he would go for week long fasts and was still able to do work and have to energy to get on with things? Presumably that's normal and I'm not?

Just to follow up, presumably if, for example, I fasted for a day, once or twice a week or something, would my body in time be used to being 'out of routine', so that if I needed to I could skip meals, whatever, and still function fine?

You might have Insulin Resistance (cant be detected by simple blood tests)

I have/had the same problems.
Try out IF (skip breakfast) and move a lot more. It is reversible.

Look it up on Google.

Nigger I appreciate that you're strong enough to deal with a threatening prospect like diabtes

BUT DID YOU EVEN FUCKING READ THE OP LINKS
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

IF AND FASTING IS PUSHED BY DR. FUNG AS A SOLE PROTOCOL FOR DIABETES REVERSAL

YOU WOULD FUCKING KNOW THAT IF YOU WOULD JUST READ THE GODAMN LINKS

Mention to your doctor (as long as they aren't a pharma kike) that you want to try easy IF daily and go from there, show them fungs articles and studies if you need to, good luck

Thanks.

Why is Steve the poster child for fasting?

Mostly, the same as before the fast only lighter. This was for weight loss, not mental clarity. I lost 16lbs during the whole process. After a few days of "normal" diet I'll be 19:5 IF, which is normal for me on days I need to get lots of work done, only now it'll be standard protocol. It'll be easy to lose the rest of the weight through that then maintain.

Yeah, I'm not a doctor, but relying on carbs can make for some really shitty roller coaster rides. Google up, "hypoglycemia". You can be fine then hulk out and/or crash and burn. Fasting, even IF can really help curb that problem. Water fasting, which is what I did, helps your mental outlook towards food in general. Only then, do you truly understand what your diet has been doing to you. Hypoglycemia is mostly likely your problem, not diabetes. It is extremely common and easily mistaken by non-health professionals as "diabetes."

I did a 10-day fast. It wasn't until my 6th days did all the negative symptoms go away fully, save for 2. After that, it was amazing. The 2 symptoms that remained were hunger, which isn't all that bad really and boredom. The boredom got worse with each day and is a common symptom. The best thing for that is to do physical labor. Not just mental labor. Like movies/tv all sucked and seemed to be worthless. Also, my libido went way down, which was fine for me since I'm like a rabbit normally. My general body state was the same as when having coffee, which I rarely ever ever drink. Talking and conversations went up, both online and off.

And can what I've described cause IR? I.e. eating healthily, no sugar, BUT eating regularly and routinely? I never used to be like this and it seemed to start when I was in university and was basically sedentary and 'grazing' all the time, usually on sugary things.

No one reads the links. Well, no one "normal" reads them.

healthline.com/health/hypoglycemia-without-diabetes

The link you've sent literally says to eat every two hours to keep your blood sugar stable. How is that at all practical?

How mainstream is IF as an idea? If I do to the doctors and ask about it will they just go "hur dur don't do that just graze to keep blood sugar levels stable"?

Just call it skipping breakfast instead like all the other non-autists.

I only posted that to show you the symptoms. Consider IF your proper cure (I'm not a doctor). Remember, barely any "health" shit online shows more than a simple bandaid-level treatment for something.

>I have diabeetus type 2 and feel terrible!
>"lol here eat this candy bar and ur fixed! gib upboats noa"

Literally, every blog ever now.

The ironic thing is that a full water fast will keep your insulin levels more stable than anything else. Take that with a grain of salt...literally. hahaha....hm.

But the most of pages I've found when searching for "fasting" and "hypoglycemia" comes back with saying about hypoglycemia being caused by fasting.

So just to be clear, if I'm hypoglycemic now, and go fasting, does the 'getting rid of hypoglycemia' apply just to 'during the fast' or also when eating goes 'back to normal'? If the latter, should it be better permanently, or would I keep having to fast now and again to keep 'curing' myself?

It is in the initial days of starting a fast. A fast fully crashes your body then it starts to switch gears until you are processing something other than carb inputs.

Actually, the way you/whoever I'm talking to, have been responding is endemic to the problems listed in you need hours of study & research and a properly clear head to recognize and understand what you are reading as it pertains to a whole; while being able to discern all the bullshit from fact. Thus, don't just google and read the first 3 links and form any opinion on it.

Knowing about it and breaking the cycle is very important. After that, you'll need to understand what is causing it in your diet and way you do your diet in order to prevent problems later on. Otherwise, you'll end up right back in the same rut you are currently in. There are no magic pills for doing the right thing for your own body. It takes fortitude and knowledge. Flip-flopping, like you are describing, is just as bad as gaining/losing lots of weight all the time. You need to sort your shit out and make healthy living your habit. Don't take my word on any of this, do your own lengthy research.

Because he's an insecure fat manlet thats why

Had to break my fast on day 5 because I was constipated. Ate saurkraut and few almonds and I will have more saurkraut tonight. Will hopefully start fast again tommorow once I will take shit. Wish me luck anons

What type of fast was it?

Were you constipated, or didn't need to shit since there was nothing inside you to shit out?

Need to know info. My last shit was on the 3rd day of no food at all. Ugliest shit ever. Then it was 7 days of beautiful no-shitting at all. It was like being some god who didn't need to shit, but had to piss all the time.

Started a 2 day fast last night, considering maybe doing a 3 day, thoughts? if I do a 3 day I can avoid friday drinking but I don't want to risk doing my usual 6 mile weekend hike on no food this early in my fasting career

You shouldn't have a problem with hiking and fasting. Just drink water and salts/minerals. Day 3 you may feel a bit queasy and general level of tiredness. It shouldn't get worse regardless of what you do. The exercise will actually help things along. The biggest tip I can give you is to bring a roll of toilet paper.

Is it normal for someone with insulin resistance to cut out sugar, then still be resistant (although better)?

Water fast

I didnt shit out last meal that I ate before starting( 2 kebabs but really I only ate meat+vegies from it because turk cunts burned the bread)

Just been reading stuff and watching videos

Is it right that if you already have hypoglycemia/Insulin resistance problems you shouldn't jump straight into IF because it will make you worse, instead 'transition' into it?

i usually do 12 hour fast everyday, but when i want to do a cheat meal (once a week) i dont anything all day and then go out and get some pizza/sushi. is it good?

On day 8 of my fast and 15-17 lbs. down. Definitely pleased with the results so far.. Not sure of how long I'll keep it going, but I guess I could shoot for 14 and see how it goes.

>only drink water
>lose water weight

insulin resistance has almost nothing to do with the amount of sugar & whatever else you eat, it's about the fat you have on your body. overwe

>there are people in this thread RIGHT NOW that don't take ALA
youtube.com/watch?v=MlHMtr2gXUw
I'm completely uninterested in any potential fat loss shit, I'm in it for the amazing antioxidant production and recycling it allows your body to perform

Fuck me that looks good
Broke my fast last night with some stuffed peppers, tortilla chips and milk, now I feel like shit. Let this be a warning friends.

Do any of you chew gum during your fasts? I know gum has little to no calories, but I've read a couple of studies like this one sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031938415300317 about how the act of chewing facilitates the release of ghrelin, leptin, and other digestive hormones. I'm curious if that has any effect on maintaining a fasted state. Anybody know?

Don't worry about it, keep going.

Do it and get it over with. Just hide a few days.

Your body flushes out as much as possible during that time so you lose more water than you ever would. The salts and minerals help you maintain enough water to prevent dehydration as you drink more and more water. Otherwise, you'll drink 2 gallons a day, piss it all out, and still be dehydrated.

>and he was never able to poop again

Fasting means fasting. Meaning no calories at all. Otherwise, it'd be called a "chewing gum diet".

Considering a 7 day water fast
No absolutely nothing about preparing for it
Anybody mind giving me the rundown?

>Just hide a few days

Maybe I'm not a NEET and have obligations?

nigger you'd best start with some IF routines and at least some 2 and 3 day fasts before you fucking kill yourself with a 7 day

If you are an adult it means you can plan ahead. Plan ahead. Simply knowing you'll feel like shit and be cranky can help you recognize the problem and not be snappy with other people.

How long would it take me to lose 10,5 kg with a water fast?

>Don't worry about it, keep going.

Too late already ate saurkraut this morning and had psyllium and coffee. But I will get back on track tommorow. At least I didnt eat any retarded unnecesary shit

Is your pic guy who fasted?Whats story behind it?

Also can autophagy clear my scars and skin moles?

>fasting
>keto
>eating bowls of vitamins
The things people who live in cubicles will do to stay healthy lmao

On the left is me December 2016
And on the right is about a week ago
I was on keto the entire time and ate 2000 calories didnt fast or anything too be honest

Good job. What was your starting weight and how much you lost?

i think i just swallowed a fly and broke my fast

t. retard

>being this confused on what fasting means

Irony.

I went from eating lots of shit into a 5 day fast, which I only had to stop because eating at the mess is 50% of socializing in the military. Wasn't too bad.

Branch and job now

Imagine breaking for fast to such garbage food. I always properly reward myself by not eating garbage served in plastic containers. Just as retarded as breaking fast at mcdonalds.

What happens when you stop fasting? Do you gain weight?

You will regain some water weight, any fat you gain is due to CICO.

Which kind of schedule is the best if I want to fast for increased mental sharpness/concentration?

>you've adapted so well that you rode your stationary bike to death in the middle of a 3 day fast

is this what being superhuman feels like?

also w2c cheap stationary bike that won't die in a month like this one

>is this what being superhuman feels like?

Not at all. Wait until you reach day 7, then you'll have a better understanding.

i see a lot of people breaking their fast eating whatever.

doesn't it make more sense to break a fast with a ketogenic meal in order to keep ketosis going?

Who else here /1000/ calories a day?

It isn't about sense. It is about mental weakness for comfort foods.

even if they make it just 3 days, Fung or D'agostino say that a 3 day is good enough once every 3 months to half year, this including lowering insulin levels and cleaning out the body/renewing the immune system

Has anyone else had trouble sleeping during a fast? I woke up today at 1AM and couldn't go back to sleep so I played vidya till the gym opened. I don't feel tired at all though.

anyone have any tips for avoiding diarrhea after breaking a fast? been doing ~38:10 ADF for a couple weeks and love everything about it except pissing out of my ass 30 minutes after i break my fast.

yeah, it's pretty common. all you can really do is try some sleep aids like melatonin to get to sleep, ZMA to stay asleep, avoid lights before going to sleep, use f.lux, etc.
just trial and error to see what works for you