Reddit fitness doesn't have Starting Strenght as a beginner program

>reddit fitness doesn't have Starting Strenght as a beginner program
Is reddit retarded or is there some actual reason of why SS wasn't successful there?

Other urls found in this thread:

muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/full-spectrum-strong-army-ranger-workout-0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

SS is used there. They don't have it in their sticky or whatever because they (correctly) say there are similar, better beginner programs e.g GSLP

form really is an afterthought there, isn't it

You do know there are way better beginner routines than SS? Its our sticky thats outdated

What better routines are there?

I'm straight but I got fucked once. Thanks college

SS is a meme that's why.

GSLP and 5/3/1

So if I switch from SL straight to Phrak's GSLP I'll be better off?

Isn't our Sticky entirely updated to 2015 or something? Some little things are even more recent.
The most recent "sticky" in that subreddit is back to 2011, but the whole thing has been edited yesterday, no idea how.

I did the shit for 2 weeks and ditched it for a proper PPL routine. Never looked back.

Sure, but truthfully nothing will trump hard work and sticking to it. If you're noticing benefits from SL, stick with it. If you're stalling or not enjoying it, change up. Try Phrak's GSLP if you want.

>tr*mp

use a trigger warning next time please. i'm fuming rn

my bad dude.

Nothing will outdo*
that better?

I'm kinda enjoying SL and its not going too badly but I am worried if I keep at it for another 6 months I'll end up with big legs and little arms (once I lose some body fat and I'm actually able to see the muscles anyway)

>tfw flipflopped between routines in my head and wasted 2 workout days starting another routine last week
ree

Gonna switch to Phrak's tomorrow, it was deadlift day anyway so I'll just do chinups followed by OHP followed by deadlifts instead of Squats, OHP, Deadlift, not too different.

If I can't do a chinup yet I can just use the assistance machine to take some weight off right? Negatives make me feel like a tard and I figure I'm carrying around an extra 25kg just in fat anyway

>but I am worried if I keep at it for another 6 months I'll end up with big legs and little arms

yeah SL and SS are very squat happy.

You can chuck in accessories if you'd like at the end with bodybuilding type reps if you'd like.

do chinups assisted if you want and also add some lat pulldowns with chinup grip (hands facing in)

do lat pulldowns and chinups not work the same kinda muscles?

When you do chin-ups your core stabilises your legs.

SS is good if you're a college athlete and you're doing it as an accessory.

>expecting a beginner to do power cleans

GSLP is better for the average beginner if you want a linear progression program, not to mention it's flexible and you can customize it for your needs. It's also more sustainable for progression because of the 2.5lbs upper body jumps. Usually for the first few months you'd get strength gains easily and you do well on the AMRAP sets and make 5lb jumps.

5/3/1 is absolute shit for beginners and kinda bad for intermediates, GSLP is just SS with slight changes

How do you do a 2.5lb increment? Use 1.25lb microplates? Put a 2.5 on one side?

I never got an answer to this question, but from personal experience I add 2.5 to each side and havent stalled yet, but im also only at 175x5

SS is fucking trash designed by a fat boomer public high school PE teacher to create football linemen

If you do it you will end up with your body symmetry permanently fucked. The only thing that will grow is your legs and core. And it will grow alot.

Dont do SS its garbage and will sabotage you long term

1.25 microplates.

Back then I too struggled with 5lb jumps especially on OHP.

To think people do this for free. SS is not bad for 3/4 months and you will learn proper form along the way for the major lifts. It is a beginner program to get the most out of beginner gains, i know i fell for the bait but come on.

SS is absolutely useless and even dangerous for the out of shape rank beginner.
But it was taken up by the retarded mods here/or paid for so that shit was pushed here as the cure for every fitness or health woe you can imagine.

The most basic fucking lifting routine for a beginner should be one with moderate weight, relatively high reps and 3-4 sets.
It's safer, it builds strength, it builds muscle, it builds work capacity, it builds aerobic and anaerobic capcity and you'll be able to get the form down properly.
They can dick around with max strength lifts later IF THEY WANT. It's not required and even lifting like that as a natural is a recipee for disaster.

Hows that 2 plate squat going after 3 years

So much wrong.

I never did a strength training program in my life and only did bodyweight and played sports.
I hit 3 plate my first time ever touching a bar.

Basic calisthenics, eating well and being active will do more for a persons basic strength levels then dicking around with relatively dangerous lifting out of the gate.

This isn't the 1800's where we don't know how the body works or anything like that.

This is 2017. Basic powerlifitng type lifting is only useful for powerlifting and ego stroke. It has been proven to have no greater health benefits then basic and advanced calisthenics or general weight lifting.
There's a reason that special forces people FORBID their people from squats and deads and ego lifting and the like.

I mean powerlifting style training does have a higher risk of injury according to Schoenfeld's studies. But SS isn't strictly powerlifting rep scheme either.

I'm in the higher rep camp so I tend to agree with that guy for the most part.

>There's a reason that special forces people FORBID their people from squats and deads and ego lifting and the like.
Do you have a sauce for this? Genuinely curious about this.

I highly doubt your story. You did not squat 315lbs your first time touching a barbell

>proven
sauce

>3 plate squat
>calisthenics and competitive runescape duel area

Ok.

Powerlifting training for an average normie is bad sure. SS is good for normies because it will cause drastic change for the average wagie who sits on their ass all day. Im sure you would agree getting someone like that to a 2 plate squat would drastically change their life for the better and SS can get you there fast.

Woah that is a lot of bullshit crammed into a single post.

This is a shitty meme that needs to end.

Anybody that says "SS is shit for beginners" should be obligated to post their body and their lifts or be banned by a mod. Veeky Forums would improve overnight.

>squatted 315 first day in the gym
Fuck off m8.

If you're doing max weight lifts, you aren't doing SS.
>pick a weight you can handle comfortably
>add 5 lbs or less the next time you do that lift
>dangerous
L M A O

Because fitness has changed so much in 2 years, right? Because what worked to grow muscles last week isn't good enough this week.

What about WS4SB?

You're thing about the military and squats is absolutely wrong. They're started to add them again as they've found it strengthens the knees and makes rucking less dangerous.

Also statements like this really need a photo to back them up.

They don't want their soldiers doing daily heavy squats. Ironically enough the study that shows that people who "slav squat" all have greater leg strength and can easily outsquat people who've been squatting for a while came from the military and they still refuse to add bodyweight squats to their workouts.

Doesn't matter what you believe. I got that 315 up, Had a decent amount of help from the spotters. But I did it.

I don't have the link and none of the keywords I can remember are showing anything on google. BUT higher rep schemes will build more muscle mass, as much strength in the long run, greater work capacity, greater aerobic and anaerobic endurance, and has a far far lower risk of injury.
There is no logical reason for the average person to start out with a strength/lowlevel power lifting type workout protocol. They can dabble in it after a few years of basic barbell training but by the time they'll actually need it they'll more then likely never want to do it and simply want to continue on and maintain.

Calisthenics and playing football riding bikes and being an active kid. Something the average fat/weak SS shilling faggot knows little about.
Most the people pushing it are losers who were never active in their early years or later years and think that they've descovered some secret that those losers who've been active athletic and exercising for a lot of years don't know and they now believe they..and you too are superior to eveyrone else in some way.
You people will oft find yourselves ego lifting because you can't get that new PR high and inevitably snap your shit up or simply fall out of live with it once the going gets tough and or you look in the mirror and realize that for all of your lifting you still look like shit and you're weaker and less athletic then the curlbros cardio bunnies and dudebros who don't do your sacred lifts.

Can you prove any of it wrong?

All forms of exercise have a place. Everyone has a different starting point and challenges. Everyone also has different goals.

Calisthenics and being active to not really increase strength with any great degree effectively. Very few lifts are actually dangerous especially when proper weight and training techniques are being used

The powerlifting lifts and programs to build better power lifting results hands down utilize the exercises with the greatest compounding effects. The health benefits are many not the least of which is bone density.

As to special forces stop talking out of your asshole. Raw strength is but one aspect of an elite soldier and the training of such a soldier is extremely rounded, but it certainily includes raw strength movements.

>spotters

Then you didn't do 315.

>They're started to add them again
You mean they weren't before and the've started to add them recently?

Yeah, you show me an active navy seal or special operative from any branch squatting heavy for reps.

>whole reply to me is about egolifting
>has 5 people lift a 315 pound barbell off your back and you say you squatted it

Whats your endgame? I can only assume you are bored and work and just trolling everyone here. One more point, militaryfags post here all the time about people lifting on base/using roids. Why are you speaking for a group you had 0 experience with? And no, being part of the falador royal guard does not mean you have been in the military.

People who've only been active and done basic calisthenics are oft stronger and have more work capacity then people who've lifted heavy for years.
Natruals, not the "natural" powerlifters.

Secondly powerlifting is only good for powerlifting, the health and fitness benefits can be gained from basic barbell movements with lighter weights. Plus the aerobic and anaerobic and and health benefits from high rep moderate weight lifting is fare more beneficial and safer then powerlifitng.

Yes all lifts in a magical ideal world where everyone is 100% aware and everything is 100% in correct in form means a lowered chance of injury. However we don't live in an ideal world.
Pushing "more weight on the bar no matter what and all other exercises are shit your ego and sense of self depend on it" onto ignorant noobs is simply building a Noahs Ark for retards and sailing them all to SnapLand.

Neither did a single world record holding lifter. What with the magical super suits and gear and spotters and what not.

Those idiots work out 2 times a week
FUCKING 2
They can't even fucking muster up enough time or courage to go an extra day

>has 5 people lift a 315 pound barbell off your back and you say you squatted it
No I lifted it I just dropped it because I couldn't rack the fucker.

But sure. Paint a picture with green text that makes you feel better about struggling for a year to gain a 2plate squat when I could do it after doing bodyweight squats playing jv football and riding my bike everywhere.

As long as you are happy dude. No one believes you and people will continue to do SS and other similar beginner routines. Keep riding your bigwheels around the block and lying online if that is what you want.

show current body

>There's a reason that special forces people FORBID their people from squats and deads and ego lifting and the like.
No they fucking don't you retard. Both my dad and brother are/were in the fucking Rangers and they deadlift and squat with my brothers CO all the fucking time.
>3 plate first time in the gym
K. Gtfo you lying fat fuck.

You are life a lefty who is blinded by being progressive without concern for facts.

Stronger is a relative term. Some of the strongest pound for pound athletes I have ever meet are gymnasts, but given the very nature of the sport most of them are very strong in upper body much less so in lower body. In terms of raw weight gymnasts are weak when compared to other athletes. In general most of the people I have meet that use calisthenics as primary source are weak in lower body. Most sports also favor a set of muscle groups and those that don’t almost all fall back into the gym doing the big 5 (Power Lifting) style lifts.

As I said all lifts have a place and all forms of training have a place. I would never say powerlifting style training ie the big 5 is the end all be all, but pound for pound to maximize grains for the untrained nothing else comes close.

I don’t think you quite grasp the concepts of Aerobic and Anaerobic or how they fit into this particular conversation. Just like you seem to be confusing “power lifter” as a type of athlete from a “power lifting program”. Pushing more weight is relative for beginner and intermediate programs the weight is generally not that heavy in terms of %1RM then when failure happens you get deload.

In my estimation you are just ignorant to the concepts of training and how different approaches get different results.

People like you honestly believe that you need a "strength base" and that basic strength training is enough for general aerobic fitness.

Your entire understanding of training principles starts and stops in the 70's powerlifting scene.

You do not understand any exercise or fitness principles outside of that and simply only concern yourselves with a handful of lifts and shit tier powerlifitng. That's it.

You should continue on with that and stop pretending you know or care about anything other then that.

You're also so fucking stupid you believe in the popularized false dichotomy of left and right that's being used to keep the ignorant masses from realizing that they're both the same and the real issues are being politicized with cheap emotional bullshit so retards like you and them will dance and sing to their tune and nothing will ever get changed.

muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/full-spectrum-strong-army-ranger-workout-0

Boom nigga, a friend of mine did some research on this stuff with the military for grad school. They're starting to realize having people ruck carrying 1.5+ BW on their backs but not doing any training to support that load is retarded. Now they're not training to get huge and push monster weights

That powerlifter guy said he WANTS them to do a powerlifing type thing and have strength as evaluation.

But it's literally a substandard knock off of russian spec ops training. And let's not forget the gear and hgh.

They do not Squat heavy shit and they at best do a max deadlift...maybe even a trapbar deadlift.

As a matter of fact, why wouldn't they just do farmer walks instead?

I said no such thing. Generally speaking strength training is insufficient for aerobic fitness for a well-rounded athlete.

Ah yes my understanding ends in the 70’s because I support the idea that the fastest most efficient way for an intermediate to new lifter to get strong is utilizing the big 5 with short breaks low rep.

All while saying over and over again that the big 5 is not the end all be all.

None of that changes the fact you act life a progressive lefty blinded by facts. I am well aware of the political dichotomy. I have made every effort to indicate that different training types are more effective for certain things. You are the one fixed not I.

I would post a picture of my body to prove you wrong, but I could be identified based on my scars (used to be involved with a fight club, stabbed multiple times) and my gang affiliated tattoos from when I spent 10 years in one of the toughest prisons in the country (I’m, probably, in the top priority list of the FBI right now).

I know your type, though. You think because you can squat and deadlift heavy that you're a big guy with an impressive physique. I have built plenty of muscle without those autistic lifts. You probably think you're superior because you follow the routines of a fat little redneck man with no real knowledge of building muscular or strength. You don’t know shit about muscles and strength if you have not trained the way I had, I literally learned from the best, and you got no shit on me, you fat autistic neckbeard.

No one, not one person who is new to fitness in general, cares about building a rickety structure of a body that's only good at strength training and fails when it comes to any other form of fitness athletic ability and general levels of health

They want general fitness and health. SS and other programs provide nothing but raw strength progressions.

It tries to co-opt the very idea of fitness and self worth and tries make it all about strength as defined by how much they can lift in a handful of lifts.

It's meaningless pointless and it's why nearly all of the loudest proponents of it have become silent and given up lifting.

Can someone post the blue and yellow push pull split that has been floating around here?

> builds aerobic capacity

You're a fucking idiot

SF dudes do heavy powerlifting and Oly lifting pretty often mate.