I've come to the conclusion that deadlifts simply aren't worth the risk unless you are a powerlifter

I've come to the conclusion that deadlifts simply aren't worth the risk unless you are a powerlifter.

When you start approaching serious weight (3xbw) it only takes one tiny slip up or muscular imbalance and you are crippled for life.

They are also massively overrated for hypertrophy.

Other urls found in this thread:

bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/squat-versus-leg-press-for-big-legs.html/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is this some kind of new forced pasta?

>he doesn't do 2x BW for reps

The only reason to deadlift heavy is powerlifting. Otherwise, do those fuckers with low weight for reps and slam that back.

Only faggots don't deadlift.

Romanian deadlifts >>> conventional deadlifts

translation: i'm a weak little bitch who fears anything difficult so i'm gonna try to convince others to be a shitty loser like myself so i don't feel so bad about being a total pussy.

Read the post

I am very close to a 3xbw deadlift

I could turn up to a powerlifting comp and beat most people in my class at it.

Dude...if that's you in the pic, you're doing 315lbs...and you say that's heavy???? Or for hypertrophy!! Come on grow some fucking balls and lift..
Train Insane or Remain the Same!!!

So youre telling me, at my current weight of 200lbs, and deadlifting 630 for reps of 3 are bad for me??? Who the fuck are you, a doctor? A pt? Grow up little bitch, quit being average loser

Thats four plates and thats a youtuber you retArd

train enhanced balls shrink in pants

What's a respectable unassisted double overhand deadlift? 4pl8?

One tiny slip up and CRIPPLED FOR LIFE

>not having 3x bw deadlift
>being competitive in any weight class

pick one

First of all stop typing like a youtuber, second of all learn to count, retard.

Who the fuck does deadlifts for hypertrophy?

99% of Veeky Forums

Apparently. It's getting old as fuck. Which means some dude with absolutely no life is really enjoying himself.

Deadlifts have become a meme on the internet nowadays

We need to fight back

everyone has moved on to rack pulls (above the knee) anyway, deadlifts are dead

Feels good to be the 1% of Veeky Forums that isn't an idiot then.

>above the knee rack pulls

If by everyone you mean all the pansies.

I'm thinking of just sticking to light weight deadlifts and keeping my form super strict.

I remember trying 3 plate for ten reps and my glutes and hamstrings were on fire.

>powerlifting
>tiny minority sport
>100 equipped federations
>100 RAW federations
>age brackets
>20-50 weight brackets
>city comp
>county comp
>state comp
>regional comp

Motherfucker would be lucky if anyone was even there and in his age/weight class to compete against.

i bet you dont even do 2xbw for reps.
shut the fuck up

My best is 2xbw for ten reps, but that's the only time I've ever gone over five reps.

>stopped doing DLs
>stopped doing squats
>replaced with high volume squat stance trap bar DL
>recovery capacity is through the roof.
>Low back is never sore
>doing 30,000+lbs of volume on upper body workouts and recovering fine
>massive aesthetic gains, upper body blowing the fuck up due to recovery capacity
>legs still juicy, thick, stronk

DLs and squats are fucking gainz goblins.

Look, I know this is bait, but just in case some newcomer sees this and gets the really stupid idea of neglecting deadlifts, I'm gonna set the record straight as best I can.

In general, most people have a shitty work capacity, so it makes more sense to do exercises that hit multiple muscle groups. Deadlifting will develop a fuckton of muscles, from your glutes, to your hamstrings, to your lats, to your traps, and even your obliques and quadriceps to a lesser extent. It makes more sense to do some deadlifts than to do glute bridge, leg curls, lat pulldowns, shrugs, and leg extensions. You could stop at five or six stores, or just one. Thank you and good night.

>I've come to the conclusion that deadlifts simply aren't worth the risk
Welcome to team obvious

>not worth the risk
the risk of what? not knowing how to properly perform the lift safely? if you have to change your lifts and your routine simply because you """can't""" do a particular exercise, you're a fucking pussy and you will never make it.

>straps on 4plate
kek

>Deadlifting will develop your glutes and hamstrings, and statically hit your lats, traps, and obliques statically which does fuck all to make them bigger and only marginally increases their strength in that position

You could stop at a great bakery, farmers market, and butcher, or just get bland chinese garbage from walmart in one stop.

Forgot to say ftfy

Deadliest are to mainly to feed the ego for fit bros. Why bother doing 5-10 deadlifts when you can just do a shitload of reps

The deadift is a weird one, you can cheat form and get massive weights up or you can learn the form, properly, and you'll gradually increase the weight you're able to handle without snapping your shit up

regardless of anything else its one of the most fundamental lifting movements for you know, actually lifting stuff in real life

Yeah, I pick up perfectly balanced loads 3in from by CoG and stand there with them all the time. Nothing more natural or functional.

So do deadlifts at 4x8 for hypertrophy then you bitch. Nothing forces deadlifts to be done heavy as fuck.

just don't lift super heavy until you're confident?

i didnt wasnt even doing 2xbw and felt my lower back crack after doing some. in my defense i didnt put them as my first exercise and did some heavy compounds already involving the back but still. fuck deadlifts

its not even difficult. just unhealthy.

I agree but what is the alternative?

rack pulls, squats and cleans. same explosive athletic movement, full body muscle involvement, with much less risk of fucking up your spine. deadlifts are a meme that has somehow stood the test of time

>lifting more weight = pansy
Veeky Forums logic

Your form was shit. Don't blame the exercise for your fuck up faggot.

Good form does not 100% protect you from injuries

i unironically agree

the thing is all these pseudo masculine fags in here posturing about liftin heavy ass weight dont realize deadlift is almost worthless as a marker of strength

it comes almost entirely from lever movement and leverage. (which is why it can fuck you up so bad)

ever notice how scrawny fags can post DL numbers that are totally disproportionate to their squat and bench numbers? thats cause they lift all the weight with their spines and hips and will get FUCKED UP eventually

How to get legs without squats?

Leg press

tfw i fell for the deadlift meme and now my glutes are ginormous

i do 4pl8 for 5 reps (touch and go though) and my ass is very small

Deadlifts are wonderful exercises. If you're not a fucking idiot that trys to lift WAY beyond their capacity and uses fucked up back extension form you should be fine.

arguably. not too respectable depending on bodyweight, but certainly on the right way.

are you srsly telling me that i can replace squatting on leg day with the leg press and still make leg gains?

Trap bar DL with a low ass.

Yes? You can do more weight because it takes out the upper back and core as the weak points and lets you focus on your legs.

aight fuck it I'm gonna drop squats then.

replace it with the trap bar dl you suggested and leg press.

hope it works out

of course you can lmao

t. starting strength

Heavy deadlifting is a feat of strength. You will be able to lift more with shit form, and so if you're pushing for a PR all the time you're running a high risk of some kind of injury. If a deadlift is executed with perfect form and therefore sub maximal loads it is a fantastic exercise.

Here are some other fantastic exercises:

Farmers walks
Hip thrusts
Hyperextensions

im glad you were there to see it firsthand like you are fucking pophet allah you hairysacked motherfucker.

fuck off with your deadlift form meme. its a shit exercise no matter how much you concentrate on form

Deadlifting is ok for people who happen to have builds where the completely arbitrary starting position works for them. Otherwise it is a huge cns strain and gives you shit gains for the recovery it requires.

deadlifting is really fun though, and it looks powerful

i'd consider getting into powerlifting if you didn't have to squat and also bench too

Do them with a trap bar then

gotta do deads bruh

found the guy with long arms

you can get a decent amount of mass out of deadlifts if you don't do minimalist pussy training like 1x5 once a week

ran Sheiko and all the deadlifting and deadlifting variants turned me into a traphog

>3xBW
kek, I don't see myself approaching that anyway.

I have short arms. Really long torso. And average legs.

Deadlift is not a fun position. Though the only reason I don't is because I lack the room. Even rack pulls below the knees is odd though but I do a lot of them.

My back looks like I have a cameltoe but I don't know whether that's from my low rep high weight squats/deads or from my high rep barbell rows.

>If a deadlift is executed with perfect form and therefore sub maximal loads it is a fantastic exercise.
This.
I have no idea why people think they have to max out all their compounds.
You can push limits through perfect-form working sets.

Then do them from a slightly elevated platform.

Yeah it's literally impossible to herniate a disc with a neutral spine which is the only truly damaging injury a deadlift can inflict.

If you're smart and you always train to drop the weight as soon as you feel a back rounding, the worst possible injury you can get is orders of magnitude better in terms of recovery than a herniated disc.

You will be lifting sub-maximally even on your 1rm attempts like this but it's worth it not to risk your spine.

because they do Starting Strength and become accustomed to the idea of doing one maximal set of deadlift a week for 5 reps, and think that this is how you train the deadlift

it's so fucking stupid man

just do more submaximal sets and enjoy 50x the gains because you're actually doing quality volume, also enjoy your lower injury risk

>bahbell

The dead should be respected, but if one is scared of pulling something heavy upwards and placing it back down in a controlled manner then lifting shit isnt probably for you. Its the exercise of the gods, makes and breaks men. Some are cast a side broken, many will give up but a few will earn favour. Blessed with juicy forearms and hams or mutated into a crippled thing such is the danger of dabbbling with the gym

>Cringe

How is your first 2 weeks of SS going?

>Yeah it's literally impossible to herniate a disc

This is a myth

how much were you lifting conventional?

>3xbw

So 4pl8 diddly's are ok for most males? (IE the 1/2/3/4 goal is still a safe and realistic one?)

You can herniate a disc on a deadlift, but only if your spine is not neutral.

You can still pull a spinal erector, hamstring, glute, trap, bicep if you're a mixed gripper, or a forearm but you won't herniate a disc with a proper neutral spine.

if you get better at one type of hip-hinge, you will get better at every type of hip-hinge

bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/squat-versus-leg-press-for-big-legs.html/

1/2/3/4 is very realistic.. desu there are some larger guys who more or less start off very close to those numbers. I was able to hit those numbers at 175 and I still looked like shit

Exactly. Nothing is better for posture, all round hypertrophy and traps
Inb4
>muh rack pulls
>muh back isolations
Deadlifts are great for conditioning too if you are hitting reps. And there is nothing more satisfying than pulling a weight, raw from the floor

>Only faggots don't deadlift.

Literally most bodybuilders I know don't deadlift.

sounds like you're agreeing with him

Thanks breh. Well I still might as well shoot for 405 and reassess once I'm there.

Key is honestly earning the right to progress and not ego lifting, I guess.

>Deadlifts are great for conditioning too if you are hitting reps

Like 8-12?

most bodybuilders are faggots

Jason Blaha pls go

I actually told a bunch of my friends who are powerlifters, PTs, etc, how my anime imageboard keeps spamming threads about "deadlifts are a bad exercise" and their general conclusion was "what do you expect, they spend more time masturbating to drawings of children than lifting weights"

yeah, dont ego lift.. keep your reps at 5, its the singles and doubles that really take the toll on your body. As you get older the likelihood of you tearing a tendon or ligament gets greater. That and an injury can set you back years

sounds like you are a little butthurt, is that from taking it up the ass from your gay bodybuilder buddies?

it's not singles or doubles that takes a toll, it's lifting maximally

a double at 95% would take a tremendous toll and be grindy as fuck
a double at 85% is totally fine and you can execute it with perfect form

Literally one tiny slip up for a fraction of a second and you are cripple for life.

This, I feel awesome now that I stopped squatting (replaced it for other leg lifts). I can't stop deadlifting though, it is fun and we gotta enjoy lifting.

How would I know if I've herniated a disc in my back

I would be in immense pain instantly right?

>at 175 and I still looked like shit
fucking this. I just hit 1/2/3/4 (1pl8 OHP is actually for 5 reps) and literally L I T E R A L L Y do not look like I lift a bit. I'm 84kg, probably 18-19% bf I literally cannot see where all the muscle is. I started at 66kg, 12-ish% bf so it can't all be fat. I'm assuming it's mainly legs.

I looked dyel at 1/2/3/4 but for some reason at around halfway to 2/3/4/5 I look aesthetic as fuck.

Honestly since hitting 4.5 plate I don't want to deadlift anything over 3 plate from now on

My goal was 4.5 plate and I've hit that

How many sets and reps is everyone doing for deads