How come the vikings weren't able to conquer Ireland like they did with England...

How come the vikings weren't able to conquer Ireland like they did with England? They had nearly ever advantage against the Irish(better armour, weapons, outnumbered Irish in numerous battles etc) yet they kept getting btfo. How come?

Attached: 260px-Ireland_(MODIS).jpg (260x358, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faroe_Islanders#Origins
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Islandbridge
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cnut_the_Great's_invasion_of_England
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They feared the Gaelic warrior.

I guess they must have.

The IRISHMAN is the epitome of male dominance and masculinity.

>yet they kept getting btfo. How come?

Probably because "vikings" are one of the most meme'd historical groups of all time. Vikings got btfo on a regular basis when they were forced to fight actual troops and not defenseless women and children. Also didn't help that the Irish were just as poor and destitute as they were so there wasn't a whole lot to pillage.

The vikings wanted to live in somewhere less shit that Norway.

They were content with just being mercenaries and there wasn't a whole lot for them to conquer that wasn't just a worthless swamp. They founded Dublin, Waxford, Waterford, Limerick and Cork which are the only places in Ireland with any value whatsoever. Conquering England/ settling in Francewas far more lucrative in comparison

They wasted some much manpower trying to conquer Tara, Breaga etc. Not to mention the various Norse kings gathering to defeat Brian Ború. If they didn't want to conquer it then they why waste so many men?
>They founded Dublin, Waxford, Waterford, Limerick and Cork
They didn't found them. There were already trading outposts there.

>I never learned how Dublin was created : The Post

Brian Boru fought another Irish king, not just Norsemen. The Norsemen honoured their alliance with the king of Leinster, not to conquer Ireland
And it was the Norsemen who made those trading ports. Before that, the Irish were living in mudhuts in the swamps

>Brian Boru fought another Irish king, not just Norsemen.
Wasn't he descended from Vikings?
>And it was the Norsemen who made those trading ports
They were there before the Norsemen.
> Before that, the Irish were living in mudhuts in the swamps
No they weren't. They had stone houses.
>in the swamps
So all the Irish lived in swamps? Really making me think.

Embarassing post, get outta here

Because the vikings couldn't beat them on the Veeky Forumsshion side of things

Attached: 1518739677990.jpg (2048x1365, 1.52M)

Because Vikings weren't a unified group with an overarching plan. Nobody had any ambitions for conquering Ireland. The main purpose of the Viking Irish kingdoms was to supply redhead Celtic QTs for the interracial breeding grounds of Iceland and the Faroes.

Any decent youtube channels that deal with ancient Irish history or spirituality?

Attached: gaels.jpg (800x1182, 248K)

bump

No, not really. I've been thinking of starting one, putting my degree to use, but I don't know how many people would be interested in the subject

Ireland is an irrelvant shithole

Non meme answer: Ireland was an apocalyptic shithole where warfare was low-intensity but constant. People who have spent their entire lives going to war with their neighbours over how many cows they have are going to be much better at fighting, strategy and tactics than some farmers with axes and boats.

Attached: ba604d444f611d8e4604cdb9089c84f5.jpg (960x591, 167K)

Would be nice to have an Irish version of Survive the Jive.
>but I don't know how many people would be interested in the subject
If its good content people will be interested in it and you will bring in people already interested in Irish myth and the like.

>People who have spent their entire lives going to war with their neighbours over how many cows they have are going to be much better at fighting, strategy and tactics than some farmers with axes and boats.
That does make sense. But I would've had thought that the fact that the Irish wore little armour and were outnumbered in a lot of engagements would've had lead to more than just some parts of Ireland being under viking rule.
I would've loved to witness how Máel Sechnaill won the Battle of Tara.

They were busy getting their towns raided and wives creamed by big strong gaelic warriors
It's not like the vikings were the only ones with access to the ocean

Why would they want to? They founded trading posts in useful locations and sent slaves and goods back home. What else is there to conquer other than miles of uninhabitable bog?

There’s a stone on the east coast with a runic inscription that says “Don’t stay here, westland locals are too violent”

>when you are even too violent for vikings
wew lad

OMG I hate you fucking faggots.
>implying mudhuts are possible in a swamp
>implying mudhuts aren't good houses
>implying stacking rocks is somehow more advanced than mixing what is essentially a primitive form of concrete

genetic research shows it was the vikings who did the creaming

>Recent DNA analysis have revealed that Y chromosomes, tracing male descent, are 87% Scandinavian.[1] The studies show that mitochondrial DNA, tracing female descent, is 84% Scottish / Irish.[2]

From where? Technically it would be hard to compare from places that viKANGS raided and places that potatoniggers raided

Can you post a source? Last I checked Vikings only amounted to less than 5% of dna in viking controlled areas.

>Falling for either of those two memes

>Before that, the Irish were living in mudhuts in the swamps

Aside from the high kings at Tara, monasteries etc.

>Any decent youtube channels that deal with ancient Irish history or spirituality?

Roman Catholic.

Well there's The Irish History Podcast

>glorified chiefs and lego “buildings”
What did they invent?

ITT: Brits try to rewrite history to suit them.

While Clontarf was in some ways a proxy war against other Irish Chiefs, most agree that it was moreso a battle against Norse power in the region as well as against those who aligned themselves with it.
Brian Boru is the closest Ireland ever came to being truly united prior to the WOI, and were it not for the succession crisis following Clontarf Ireland would be a hugely different place.

That being said, the Irish have always been formidable fighters and Clontarf was no different. The battle of Tara, which happened before Clontarf, was another example of Irish forces utterly butchering Norse forces.
It's a shitty, rainy,resource-less island but they usually punched above their weight desu

The Division of Nature

Beaufort Scale
Croquet
Modern Submarines
Boyle's Law
De divisione naturae, the ultimate pinnacle of ancient philosophy
Standard Drop hanging (moralfag way to neck people)

Probably more but I dunno them without looking them up.

vikings don't fare too well when they aren't against unarmed women and old men

Clontarf was spooky.

>"The battle, which had begun at first light, lasted all day. Eventually, the Dublin-Leinster forces broke, and some withdrew towards their ships, while others made for a nearby wood. However, the tide had come in again, cutting off the passage to the wood, but also carrying off the Viking ships. With no way out, they were killed in large numbers, many of them by drowning."

>tfw fleeing the battlefield en masse, suddenly caught between a swirling pool of corpses and drowning soldiers and an approaching army of enranged irish warriors behind you
>ships carried out to sea
>no escape

Attached: 4804ec22106693719439d2735e67a700--irish-clothing-military-history.jpg (736x538, 97K)

Guess Manannan was really mad at the Norse for taking the Isle of man.

The Irish were responsible for preserving alot of knowlege throughout the dark ages, due to them not being raided by vikings as often
I cant find my source but i remember a thread a while ago mention that irish peasants would swear at their english land owners in latin and greek

>Also didn't help that the Irish were just as poor and destitute as they were so there wasn't a whole lot to pillage.

>learning centre of europe
>destitute

Attached: hurr.png (645x729, 27K)

*blocks your raid*

Attached: Brian-Bóruma-mac-Cennétig-Brian-Boru-High-King-of-Ireland-is-presented-with-the-head-of-a-slain-vi (1124x1504, 383K)

Then you have battles like Islandbridge where like 6 Irish "kings" were slain and the Irish qts taken to the interracial breeding grounds known as the faroese islands

*gets gutted along with all of his heirs*

that's a 17th century helmet

It's 17th century gear generally

here's a neat chart of approximately what Irish soldiers looked like over the centuries

Attached: Irish Soldiers by Balam Agab.jpg (975x564, 191K)

Irish were just too ferocious and adopted quickly to viking tactics and raids.

If you look at old local maps of Clare (Brian Boru's home territory) there's dozens of markers for where Boru's forces massacred any viking settlements they found on the Shannon estuary.

Basically had 0 tolerance for vikings and outside of Limerick, Cork and Waterford it was impossible for them to build up any real long lasting settlements in Munster

Ulf the Quarrelsome, a brother of Boru is recorded in the Icelandic saga taking revenge on the man who killed his brother:

>Ulf the Quarrelsome cut open his belly, and led him round and round the trunk of a tree, and so wound all his entrails out of him, and he did not die before they were all drawn out of him.

Apparently, or so the story goes, his screams could be heard by the other viking leaders nested inside Dublin city as eagles ate his entrails

Attached: Battle_of_Clontarf'_by_Hugh_Frazer,_1826.jpg (1024x703, 86K)

>>Ulf the Quarrelsome cut open his belly, and led him round and round the trunk of a tree, and so wound all his entrails out of him, and he did not die before they were all drawn out of him.
>Apparently, or so the story goes, his screams could be heard by the other viking leaders nested inside Dublin city as eagles ate his entrails
Jesus the Irish back in the day were brutal. Could've been a power to behold if they united.
Now was Ulf the Quarrelsome part viking? Ulf doesn't sound much like an Irish name.

Attached: 1509581442656.jpg (1040x1066, 547K)

>Brian boru's daughter was married to the leader of the vikings
why couldnt gaelic women resist the norse chads?

Nah his Irish name was Cuiduligh, the Norse named him Ulf the Quarrelsome because of his ferocious nature and fighting pedigree.

Both the Norwegian and Icelandic sagas named him as the most adept fighter at Clontarf and in Ireland.

Ah ok, thanks user.

>the Norse named him Ulf the Quarrelsome because of his ferocious nature and fighting pedigree.

>Both the Norwegian and Icelandic sagas named him as the most adept fighter at Clontarf and in Ireland.
Now that's pretty cool. There's so many colourful characters in medieval Ireland I just love it.

Attached: 1520818025207.jpg (671x960, 90K)

It is a shame that Ireland is always bogged down to "muh english" or "muh IRA" when it is unironically one of the most overlooked little tidbits of fucking RAD medieval people and stories. Nowhere in the world is quite like it.

Yeah, they literally all feared the bastard. Had no interest in Kingship despite being the most capable claimant to the throne after Boru's demise. A shame, biggest what could have been of Irish history besides maybe the 9 years war.

Yeah, I'd love a thread on contemporary characters from medieval Ireland. These Irish Viking threads are probably the only Irish threads that aren't ruined by shitposting / ignorant brits because it doesn't concern England.

>Almost everything is literally 11th century armor except some of the helmets, guns and legwear (which is literally absent)
What made Irish so stupid? No wonder they got genocided by the British of all people

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Bob Marley was an Irish warrior

Attached: irish warriors 9th century.jpg (652x492, 111K)

As the old saying goes, fashion is the most important stat

Attached: 16th century Gallowglass, as portrayed by Mark Hanna f.jpg (534x960, 815K)

>the only places in Ireland with any value
>Dublin is a crime den
>Limerick has a disproportionately large amount of murders
>Cork is wasted potential - the city
>implying Waterford or Wexford are relevant in any way

>reading comprehension

Then why conquer England when it was the same way?

Ireland had fuck all iron deposits.

>genocided
Back to /pol/ with you.

>Cromwell? Who is that?

How is killing several thousand people out of a population of a few million genocide

I find ancient Irish history so interesting because of shit like this. They were the most backwater, out of the way place in the known world, was pretty much one big forest crawling with crazed warlords, and yet somehow became a beacon of learning and enlightened thought in an era where the western world was collapsing. Places that spent centuries under Roman teachings collapsed into anarchy yet the Irish basically self-thought themselves from stealing some knowledge from Romans in Britain. The Christianization was even weirder, most places in Europe had to be crusaded or have their government ban their old religion, Ireland went from sacrificial pagans to devout Catholics because some random slave told them about Jesus. It's honestly one of the weirdest histories in Europe and it's sad that most people only thing BRITS STOLE THEIR POTATOES and nothing else. It would be like if Greece was only known for being conquered by the Turks and nothing of their ancient past.

Not to mention Ireland just seemed /comfy/ in that time. The farmers would only spend an hour working then get to play music and have the bants for the rest of the day due to their style of agriculture. Not to mention that Brehon Law was such a superior law system to Common Law it wasn't funny. There was a reason why the Normans decided to "become Irish"

Read up the definition of "genocide" mate

He's probably referring to the Faroe Islands:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faroe_Islanders#Origins

>The farmers would only spend an hour working then get to play music and have the bants for the rest of the day due to their style of agriculture
Do you mind expanding on this? How was their style different from other types of farming?

>England invades Ireland because the Irish aren't blindly obeying everything the Pope says
>some centuries later
>England decides the Pope is evil and shouldn't be obeyed
>gets mad at the Irish they've been telling to obey the Pope for obeying the Pope

Was it autism?

Because the irish were mad cunts living in a land where warfare was endemic and because the vikings folded whenever they were fighting something other than weaponless farmers and women.

I think he's referring to the fact that the Irish were mostly pastoral

Attached: ireland cattle raid, by Sean O'Brogain.png (913x666, 1.36M)

I dont know about before, but when potatos made it to europe, it grew really well in Ireland, just a couple of hours in the field and you could spend the rest of the day picking your toes or fucking your wife, this is where alot of the lazy stereotypes came from, the english even blamed the potato famine on the irish being lazy

I guarantee the irish would have turned protestant if the english hadnt done so first,

I can't say much about other nations way of farming but Irish farming had mostly to do with cattle. They would let them roam about on hills and the like and only keep them in modern-like fields during the winter time. When the English came in force they stopped this practice.
Even pigs were sort of just allowed to roam about the woods fattening themselves on acorns.
Then you have the system of their farmlands. You had the land you aquired for yourself then you got your families land. You can do whatever you want with your land but you cannot sell your families. The only way you could get rid of it was via fines.
It was generally lassy daisy. Theor farm laws were pretty funny as well. It was REQUIRED by Irish farming law to have a cat on your farm.

WHY DID IT GO SO BADLY LADS

THINK HOW COOL A GENUINE IRISH NATION COULD HAVE BEEN
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The irish couldn't get their shit together so they got conquered by a stable nation.

>It's honestly one of the weirdest histories in Europe and it's sad that most people only thing BRITS STOLE THEIR POTATOES and nothing else. It would be like if Greece was only known for being conquered by the Turks and nothing of their ancient past.
Ironically I think the Irish disregard for their older history is a result of the famine. Pre-modern Irish history was very well-known and popular in the generation living immediately after the famine, until around the early 20th century. There was a revitalisation of native Irish art, music, language and even dress. But immediately after that it all just drops off.

Attached: irish comparison labelled.png (1436x995, 3.26M)

And scandinavia wasn't full of conflict? And viking armies in ireland wouldnt be petty warriors but rather proper warriors, jarls and their hirdmen with local auxiliaries

That's just because promoting native culture runs into the awkward scenario where you don't practice native customs while claiming to be patriotic.

>18th and 21st century
Where did it all go so wrong

*cough* en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Islandbridge

>And scandinavia wasn't full of conflict?
Compared to Ireland not really, which shouldn't be construed as being a bad thing, it's a point in Scandinavia's favour if anything

Norway was in nearly continuous war until the reign of Olaf Kyrre

irish dicks were bigger than viking dicks

20th century pic is royal irish regiment which is part of the British army.

Attached: 1497016825001.png (495x468, 125K)

But they were Irish soldiers

>Smug Northern Irish Pepe
NI should be represented exclusively by wojacks, as your nation/province/whatever the fuck you are has done nothing but be bullied and humiliated since your creation. You have failed utterly to ever fight taigs, you have failed utterly to form any coherent culture (other than obsession of a single battle at which the king you worship was barely present in a war which had a foreign ruler usurp the english king) and you have failed utterly to form any national identity as a mere few decades after your creation the right to not only dissolve Northern Ireland but to undo its creation alltogether forever is an integral and essential part of your country.
You don't get to be smug.
You didn't fight the IRA. You didn't fight the Irish. You did absolutely nothing of note. Ulster Protestants reached their peak as machine gun fodder in WW1. You are not a proud part of the UK, most of us pretend you don't exist.
You aren't even properly British, you just larp as one of us because we had to keep you to stop you chimping out and causing more conflict on the island (which you went ahead and did anyway because you're no different than the fucking taigs.)
I wish the Republic had let us sell you to them in WW2 tbqh

It's likely that the other pictures depict units that probably fought under English or other banners. Go away, Ulsterfag.

>norse tell stories of Irish giants who can take on entire longships of men
>wonder why the norse fear the Gael
The Norse found the land of the Giants, and it was not for them.

>>norse tell stories of Irish giants who can take on entire longships of men
Wait what I never knew this. Thats pretty ebin.

t. irish manlet

>founded
>turning over a few longships and regularly trading with locals = founding and eventually building a commercial city
The Irish, as they did with all their cities, founded Dublin. It was a spot where many of the Irish clans would meet to trade with the norse and each other and they continued doing so long after they btfo the vikings.

Vikings didn't "conquer" England, they were given some land and settled - they then had an impact on the language and genepool, but they ultimately assimilated.

>brainet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cnut_the_Great's_invasion_of_England

>And scandinavia wasn't full of conflict?
not really, hard to fight when you spend most of your time farming and trying not to die from cold weather.
the Norse fought for land which leads to seasonal warfare like everywhere else in the world, the Irish fought for animals which like other herding peoples (Mongols, Ancient Iberians, Scythians) leads to warfare year round for king and peasant alike.
>raiding is war
Wars in Ireland were raids and full scale inter-clan warfare.
besides, the Norse were a warrior culture by preference, not by necessity like the Irish.

Look at the Irish today and Scandinavians today, who's more likely to get into a brawl with his own brother at the bar?
Take Minnesota and Massachusetts.
The Irish aren't a meme.

But there's literally no proof that they feared the irish. Give one single fact or source suggesting they had even a sliver of fear or even respect for them.

>And viking armies in ireland wouldnt be petty warriors but rather proper warriors, jarls and their hirdmen with local auxiliaries
maybe, the best of the vikings unified against other professional warriors.
One of them had to destroy the other

>no fear of the Irish
>most engagements result in Norsemen routing early to mid battle
The piss hair albino rat fears the Red haired fire giant

hello where are the proofs
I'm not being hostile I'm unironically looking for something to go check out

Check out the work of Donnchadh Ó Corráin, he was pretty much the foremost specialist in the field

I have a reading list from uni which covers the period with a lot more material, I'm away from my PC right now but I'll post it tomorrow if the thread's still up