Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums

I really, really want to start boxing. Any reasons why I shouldn't? I'm very nervous.

I could be the next mayweather and become rich (I'm 23)

>''yeah boxing is cool bro''
>''throwing punches and stuff''
>''yeah''

chad

Mayweather has been doing it since he was 8. It will take you 1 year to learn how to throw a punch like a boxer. Not impossible to go pro but better join a gym now.

Been "boxing" for 2 years, Ama I guess

CTE

Will I make friends

If you're not weird

How fit do you have to be to start?

No minimum really, you'll build it up

what's too late to start boxing?

anything you put your mind to can be achieved.

this, only a true failure believes skill is inherent/too late to develop

>skill is inherent
it is though

It's just cardio with a little bit of strength. It won't help you look any bigger, just do cardio you tard

Chicks don't give a fuck as long as you look swole

This. It sounds cheesy but it really is true. Bernard Hopkins started boxing at around 25.

I tried this, and was pretty good at it right out the box....But I never enjoyed getting punched in the face and didn't have to fight my way out of the Ghetto to make money. The best boxers were poor and hungry for a change. I've lived a comfy life, and knew I could never beat some of these guys.

No reason not to do it. I love boxing. Find a good trainer who won't just throw you in with killers right away though.

Are you nervous to get hurt or anxious around people. you won't get seriously injured and anxiety only goes away by doing what triggers it.

most boxers come from a deprived background, correct?

worried about being hurt

potential is genetic, skill is acquired

more potential => faster skill gains / slower diminishing returns => more skill with equal effort

i want to be a boxer as well i just turned 21 but the legs after dieting scares me dont want to loose gains as well but damn

In semi local clubs, Yes. Professionally I'm not too sure. I live around some good sized Cities (Boston, Brockton, New Bedford). And the poor kids fight with such anger and tenacity that it is hard to mentally fight them. May sound silly, but true in my experience. I realized that boxing for cardio / skill improvement was the best for me, train for the very rare event that I may get in a fist fight and would like to have the basic know how of a proper knuckle sandwich.

Never if your goal is health and fitness, or amatuer competition. If you join later than 19-20 you will never be more than a semi pro unless you have elite boxing genetics.

>most boxers come from a deprived background, correct?
Yep, take a look at carl frampton. Most deprived from my local area. GF sees him come through the local mcdonalds from time to time.

Why would you want us to discourage you from doing something you clearly want to do but are nervous about

no such thing as a semi pro lol

Better do a ton of ab work.

This is how boxing gyms work user. You show up, ask to be trained, and pay the monthly fee. They set you up with a bag in the corner and sometimes somebody will come by and show you something. You then say you want to know more, so they laugh at you and always, ALWAYS, put you in a ring with their best fighter to try some sparring without knowing shit.

This guy then proceeds to absolutely beat the shit of you and if you've never taken a hard body shot from a pro boxer you will immediately want to die. If you come back the day after they then will agree to train you as you now an actual fighter who doesn't give up but like 99.9% of people never come back after getting savagely beat up by a pro.

It's really a stupid way to make a living though, and it looks like fun from a distance but getting your brain rattled in the gym consecutively for months on end and then rattled in a pro fight just adds up to long term brain damage. You should look at Mayweather Sr sometime he can barely put two words together on a good day and he's not that old, only 64 but walks and talks like he's 94.

>"thank you kind homosexual, it's actually quite profitable."

Do you box on soviet russia?

Brain.
Damage.

lol

How in the fuck is this ginger a Mexican

>It will take you 1 year to learn how to throw a punch like a boxer.
Shit man how unathletic were you?

Get your own gloves straight away. Boxing gym gloves all stink of assholes and will make your hands stink of assholes for a long time

just joined a boxing gym last month. it's fun and a lot of cardio, so hopefully you're in some kind of shape, because we do a pretty strenuous warmup. we practice combos on the bag, then on each other. last week we learned defense, like blocks and slips. getting hit in the face fucking sucks. hitting someone in the face when they're trying to block is fun. I feel achey all over after boxing.

T.9 years of martial arts (taekwondo, karate, muay thai, and boking) here

Heres what you NEED to know: any decent competition has been training since childhood, if your pain tolerance, endurance and cardio arnt high you will look slow and lethargic, your emotions need to be kept in check, you WILL sustain brain damage, your attitude in day to day life WILL become more agressive and sometimes even hostile to the people around you.

Its not a very nice lifestyle op, but if you honestly think you can make it, look at mike tysons training schedule and decide whether or not you could put in that kind of effort, best of luck and stay on your toes

Its not a gradual procces, it took me half a year and i just sort of understood it one day.

pro fighter who also has day job = semi pro

So like a small time pro.
You ever fight anyone impressive?

i love martial arts and always wanted to learn how to box but am concerned about brain damage.
How good can i get just doing touch/light sparring?
I dont care about being the best, i just want to learn the skill.

You can get very good.
You'll be able to beat up normies

Are you retarded?

Because Mexican is a Nationality... Not a race idiot. There are an estimated 5 to 10 million white Spanish ancestry Mexicans

Enough to fuck people up and teach it to your kids thats for sure. But if brain damage is that much of a concern, try Judo or BJJ.

Even Muay Thai since strikes are more spread out across the body instead of just focusing on the head

Cause he's white

good to know.
On another note has anyone ever done a martial art and powerlift / strength train at the same time? How were you able to maintain your gains while doing martial art?
I find everytime I try this I lose strength. I know I just need to eat more but its soo hard.
Anyone got tips?

I used to do judo, loved it but I found getting injured was just a matter of when.
I work a physical job and cant afford injuries or else I dont make money.

Because Mexico is a place... And white people can be born in any place and still be white?

some damage brain damage is absolutely inevitable. a lot of brain damage is possible. should you box? depends how much you value your smarts
"It is thought that between 15 and 20 percent of professional boxers who take blows to the head regularly will develop DP." dementia.org

Then do boxing and do light sparring. I did it like that for years, also never liked entertaining the idea of head strikes... Never sparred hard in my life.

Then had an ammy fight against another guy way bigger than me (heavyweight) and I TKOd him under 2 minutes in the first round.

This guy was 4-0 so it wasn't like it was some random bum. So yes... Enough to even compete in ammy

Sheeit, I've always wanted to do boxing and actually found a local club that looked nice. I drove over there today with the idea of walking in right when practice was starting, but I saw all the cars in the parking lot and chickened out. I have pretty sever social anxiety (obviously if I'm on Veeky Forums). fug...
Don't be like me, op. I'm 27 and the biggest loser you'd ever meet. Follow your dreams~

You are a fucking moron, don't ever stop feeling dumb

I think it's the hardest sport where many dreams die

there's prob like 4 boxers at most that most people can name if they're into boxing at the moment

and probably less than 1 name for people who don't know about boxing

Peanut butter
I train 6 days a week and im still gaining weight.
JOPBAD

>Jar or peanut butter a day
holy shit. that shit safe? how you feel going through that? you shit regularly?

I had to shit during a boxing match once
Was doing pretty good up to that point too and i only had 20 seconds left

Mayweather had already won a national championship, an Olympic medal, and went pro before he got through his teens

ya but did he go to school?

And his professional boxing champion father didn't touch the ring professionally until he was 28.

because Mama Alvarez met some Irish sailors at a party one night

He dropped out senior year to box full time

what an inspiration

looks like the healthiest 40 years old too

No, sparred against just average amateurs really. I hope to compete more seriously than now but I don't think I could ever go pro, especially at my small gym I am at now.