/FAST/ WHY AM I SO HEALTHY EDITION

/FAST/ FASTING GENERAL

What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and fat fasting
While fasting alone is fantastic for your health, Consider doing a ketogenic in addition to become god mode

>how can I get a quick rundown? Where can I start?
dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting
dietdoctor.com/longer-fasting-regimens
youtube.com/watch?v=9idhb2aAfns

IF AND LIFTING:
leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html?

>any more info?
idmprogram.com/fed-fasted-state/
medium.com/the-mission/the-sweet-spot-for-intermittent-fasting-9aae12a2158c
youtube.com/watch?v=PKfR6bAXr-c

WHY YOU SHOULD BE DOING KETO:
youtube.com/watch?v=Dan8qtgQRi8

>autophagy:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3106288/
greatist.com/live/autophagy-fasting-exercise
dietdoctor.com/renew-body-fasting-autophagy
selfhacked.com/blog/autophagy-benefits-and-how-to-harness/
roguehealthandfitness.com/intermittent-fasting-boosters-autophagy-enhancers/
roguehealthandfitness.com/coffee-is-associated-with-lower-death-rates/

>reddit fag that did a 77 day water fast, notice how he is not 1)dead or 2)looks like a wrinkled vagina
reddit.com/r/fasting/comments/573gkb/just_completed_a_77_day_fast_ama/
PMC3106288/

>Fung talks and lectures:
youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk
youtu.be/PSR82vmZ5lk
youtu.be/v9Aw0P7GjHE

>DeLauer videos, mainly focus on tips, quick explanations of processeses backed with research, and chadliness
youtube.com/watch?v=ihrmfFlG_qc
youtube.com/watch?v=6UShUs1Wb_k

Extra:
DRINK COFFEE, DRINK GREEN TEAS
sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170827101750.htm
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24769862

If you have any sticky suggestions, post them and they will be included in the future

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MQpsFTVAqpA
youtube.com/watch?v=4vgvRhx2xPI
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/
dietdoctor.com/fasting-and-re-feeding-syndrome
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refeeding_syndrome
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

READ THE OP BEFORE POSTING DUMB QUESTIONS

youtube.com/watch?v=MQpsFTVAqpA

Thought I would stop by and share an interesting YouTube channel of a fitness enthusiast who does a 16-24 hour fasting routine where he eats one meal a day.

youtube.com/watch?v=4vgvRhx2xPI

>refusing to eat for a few hours more between meals
>fasting

Could this board be any less interesting?

we have a decent number of people do 7+ days

I did 3 days about a month ago. I'm 12 hours into a 7 day fast now. It's fun.

Any period of time between meals is called a fast, idiot. This is Veeky Forums we aren't going to be fasting for months for e-cred.

I am here to do what works

Just started fasting today. Weather is bad for outdoors gym, so I'm going to do some exercises indoors. Instant coffee tastes even worse than normal one.
Currently at ~73kg, 175 cm.

5 days now, brehs, feeling like a god in human skin

Day six of water fast, I now remember why I ate so unhealthy.
Being poor and having a narcissistic bipolar mother is a lot of stress.

For those that are fasting, what are you supplementing with?

No, fasting benefits occur only after a certain period of time.

So apparently I've been fasting daily without knowledge for the last 2/3 years. My 145 lbs won't budge at all during this time. I'm just a little concerned about health issues. Whenever I break it and eat during the fasting my stomach doesn't seem to like it (constant rumbling, less solid shit). Have I fucked up up my digestive system or is it even possible to do so this way?

Vitamin C, A and Himalayan Salt.

will I lose body fat during a water fast?

>Vitamin A
Fuck, wrong vit.
Vitamin D instead of A.

Someone else feeling much more...balanced? Like I don't get angry anymore or upset about something, I'm just happier somehow. I also feel much more connected to this world, sounds crazy but I cant describe that feeling very well.

First 5 days were brutal, I was depressed and weak but after that...BOOM.

This is also a very good expirience for the mind, I don't know why no one is talking about that. You pretty much free yourself from that need to eat daily and as someone like me who loves sweet stuff, it helped me to free myself from processed sugar.

2 weeks water fast in.

See

yes

Currently on my 3rd day out of 12, maybe 15-21 if I feel inspired.
Does anyone else take laxatives the first few days of fasting? I feel so uncomfortable and bloated with all the extra weight inside, and I want my weigh ins to be accurate asap.

I've only ever done 3 days, but my mind always feels like this after the first day.
Unrelated to mindfeels, a lot of ice water will keep the hunger pangs at bay

Started 40 hours ago. Feeling good brahs. Aim is 13 days

PHS and multivitamin.

I got multivitamin + multimineral in one pill. Is that ok?

>another day of IF
>having plain black tea with peppermint leaves as an herbal for "breakfast" just to warm up

Anyone else get super cold while water fasting or IF? When water fasting I was wearing a merino wool baselayer with my winter coat and I was still cold. IF is better, but only after I have lunch.

What type of fasting? Water fasting or intermittent fasting (IF)? IF wouldn't be a problem really, but breaking a water fast has to be done correctly or you will wreck yourself in some of the worst ways possible. What hours fasting and hours eating for IF do you do? Like I do 19 fasting and 5 eating, 19:5.

Getting away from those useless carbs really does clear your mind a great deal. Added sugar is one of the most destructive drugs you can possibly take that is fully socially accepted from birth. Simply getting away from it will help you feel amazing. One year I went 6 months without any sweetener/artificial sweetener of any kind. My chinup reps when stress testing went from only 50 to over 200 in a row. I literally couldn't get tired on my runs and one day pushed myself at the local track. I ran from dawn to dusk without stopping (friends dropped by to relay water to me.) However, that was nearly 6 months of sugar-craving hell. The mental aspect was terrible. I wish I never fell off that diet.

Most likely. It depends on what is in it and how much and how long you are fasting. Cross reference what you are taking with what is listed in the links in the OP. You'll certainly still need to eat extra salt.

Are supplements (calcium, magnessium, w3...) really necessary for a rfl/psmf?

>Most likely. It depends on what is in it and how much and how long you are fasting. Cross reference what you are taking with what is listed in the links in the OP

I read the OP and I dont see any list on what vitamins and minerals are allowed

>didn't fast at all Friday or Saturday, giant fucking cheat day tailgating for sportsball
>back on it yesterday
>weighed myself this morning
>new low

Some of that has to be not drinking enough water but goddamn I'm still on track. I love 22/2

It isn't about being allowed, it is about "you must have this or you're gonna get fucked up" type of thing. Those are essentially, "phosphates, magnesium and potassium" in order to prevent "refeeding syndrome". Though, that is rare.

Also, from the OP links for fasting and IF,

>I recommend a general multivitamin to avoid micronutrient deficiency.
>Here are the supplements I recommend everyone to take on a daily basis: a multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin D and extra calcium (unless dairy is consumed on a regular and daily basis).

You seem to be correct. I could have sworn more info on specifics was in the OP, but it must have been in one of the links I was researching for myself. Here's some good reads on the matter, particularly the paper:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/
dietdoctor.com/fasting-and-re-feeding-syndrome
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refeeding_syndrome

has anyone done deadlifts (prob 385 3x5) ~40 hours into a fast? only time i can do them is now (meeting in 3 hours and can't risk explosive shits from eating).
or should i just wait til my next opportunity to lift in 2 days?

On day 2 of a (hopefully) 5 day fast, wish I could do more but I'm starting to have something of a social life and being the only person to not eat at a meal feels way too uncomfortable.

I am mainly afraid of taking something that will fuck up my fast or at least autophagy because thats the goal of my longer fast

Just stay away from carbs. The amount of filler in a multivitamin won't fuck things up. Chewing regular gum will.

>being the only person to not eat at a meal feels way too uncomfortable.

Life is centered around eating for most of western/western-influenced society. Normally, as entertainment.

yes i experience the cold too. almost 3 days fast. 'normal' temp aircond in my office but im freezing. occasionally my coworker complained about the cold but they are skinny, not fat like me.

is this side effect of water fasting?

body maybe is burning slightly fewer calories and making less heat in doing so.

you also may just be losing fat and unaccustomed to the new cold that you used to be more insulated from

Just finished dinner lads. Starting 16:8 IF from this moment onward. How long did your first fast last?

Also, what supplements are recommended? I have CLA and green tea extract at my disposal.

So I've been doing intermittent fasting for about 3 days now, and I like it but it is kinda tough. I don't eat from about 8 PM - 1 PM the next day, any tips to control appetite? I know about Bronkaid already just wondering what you guys do.

>any tips to control appetite?

water, black coffee for starters

>from about 8 PM - 1 PM the next day
Sooo you're basically skipping breakfast?

>How long did your first fast last?
3 days, without supplements, just salt and I was fine

Seems like he does that.
I remember that I often skipped breakfast during midschool and highschool. Guess it made it easier for me to fast.

>How long did your first fast last?
Two days, didn't ate much salt, only vitamins, so I felt quite dizzy at times.
Now trying to go for the week, with vitamins and salt

Thank you based black coffee.

But I limit myself to just two cups per day.
I also drink black tea.

Sup boys, I have a question
I've done a 4 days fast about a month ago and I want to go for another one in these days. Problem is, I started working in a warehouse and it's kinda rough, I'm standing up and moving around for 8 hours and lifting/moving stuff.
Since the last time I fasted I felt kinda woozy I wanna ask if any of you had similar experiences and help with some tips

Does anybody know what the name of the plant/herb supplement that's pretty popular here that you take while fasting that helps burn fat?

Were you consuming a teaspoon of salt every day?

I do them fasted once a week, but I go pretty light (265 5x10) and focus mostly on back exercises after. I would say you should be fine, but that's just my personal experience.

Nope just water

You gotta get those electrolytes.

If I do something like eat fiber (like metamucil), drink tea, or eat some supplement to get electrolytes does that ruin the benefits from IF?

Can't tell you sorry

Supplements shouldn't have Calories.
About the rest, I'm not sure. I'm also wondering if you could get minerals in more natural ways (via teas)

Can I just buy phosphates and potassium at pharmacy or something? I've got everything else covered, magnesium, salt, vitamins... But I can't find any info on those two. How much I should take daily during fast? I plan on doing 7-10 days.

>mfw do IF on and off when I need to drop fat
>would always feel fucking amazing as I got past like 4-5pm . Never knew why

After buying. some ketone strips it turns out I was jumping into ketosis for a couple hours everyday.

Now I'm doing a keto protocol and it's like being high.

Can anyone verify through their personal experience if the claims of diminishing scar tissue are true?

Some of the links say that "a little is fine", but I don't know where that threshold is.

I've been doing intermittent fasting and keto for two weeks now. My digestive health seems better and I feel lighter. I was never a big breakfast eater anyway, so it's pretty easy for me.

Am I supposed to have a set goals of days? because honestly I want to lose all my weight(240 6'0) to around 180 or average wieght

>breakfast
>break
>fast

you talking about yohimbine?

So, putting half a scoop of unflavoured whey protein in my coffee doesn't break my morning fast? according to one of the links BCAA are recommended especially if working out fasted (which I'll be doing for a month at least), it also mentions that if you don't wanna buy bcaa you can use some whey protein.

>does eating food break my fast?

is it food or not

Just like I thought then.

Today I worked fasted for the 1st time, don't know if placebo effect or the fact that the plain coffee had a greater effect without any food in my stomach but it felt good, more energy, more alert, etc.

>breaking a water fast has to be done correctly or you will wreck yourself in some of the worst ways possible.

Fuck, I was thinking about doing 10 days or so water fast, but reading those links... How exactly do I break the fast safely? Can I take some supplements while fasting to prevent refeeding syndrome? Sorry for stupid questions, I've done only about 2-3 days max before...

I've asked before but nobody really had an answer, guess I'll try again. I recently started hormonal birth control to regulate my off the chart cycles. Is there any concerns with taking hormonal birth control and fasting? I don't know how systems interact and I want to cover my bases since it already increases risks for blood clots, etc. I've been losing weight through dramatic lifestyle changes, but I'm ready to just drop as much now as I can, I'm not concerned I will return to my old eating habits or anything.

Doing an alternate day fasting : 4 day fast and 3 day eat ( when i'm doing sport ) going from 160lbs and aim-130lbs ( very lean , 7 or 8% bodyfat , i wanna be skinny but r i p p e d , doing muay thai )
AMA i guess , i'll post every now and then to tell y'all how i'm feeling , how much did i lost and some shet like that
Good luck to everyone !

Try and you'll see
You won't die anyway , just look like you're making excuse

yes, starting with 16 hours

>tfw running sushi after 21 hour fast
I tried to pig as much as possible and still feel stuffed 4 hours later, two weeks ago I'd be already snacking on something, does anybody else have feeling of shrunk stomach on OMAD/20+hour fast?

What is Veeky Forums's go-to multivitamin for water fasts?

Gonna try the water fast but worried about the nutritional loss that comes along with it.

T R Y

>7-10 days.

You probably don't need them for that length, but a multivitamin/multimineral should have them. This one has all 3.

19:5 here. I feel overstuffed when eating now. I'm eating a little less, but damn.

Is it possible to go into keto mode, while still maintaining 200g/day protein intake (all through powder)? I'm trying to easy into 24 hour fasting (1 meal / day).

Can I include plain yogurt (flavored?). This is what I have planned:

Breakfast:
2xPlain Yogurt (200 cal) + 2 scoops w/ Water (210cal) (84g protein)
Lunch:
2 scoops w/ Water (210 cal) (50g protein)
Dinner
Some ~600cal low carb meal with 70g protein.

From the videos I've been watching, I'm worried that the high protein intake will prevent me from going into ketosis.

>"Oh cool, you are into keto too? I'm 15:9. What do you do?"
>"...23:1?, but how?"

Interested in this as well but Ive read somewhere that protein converts into glucose in your liver if taken above the 'keto' limit thus beating the point of keto altogether. Not sure tho.

Is fasting bullshit? Is not weight loss all about CICO?

Consumption of protein is what shuts down autophagy.

>how many levels of fast are you on?
>I-I'm increasing t-t-t-time between m-meals
>s-s-some p-p-p-p-p-p-pee-p-p-people are doing s-s-se-se-sev-seven plus days
>watch this
>water fasting every other month
Get down to 10%, bulk up to 15%, fast it all away. Repeat.

is this just for fattys?

CICO works for a lot of people. It also fails for a lot of people. Fasting is easier imo, all you need to do is nothing. Also, if you OMAD or IF, you can slam a pretty big meal and not be worried about making it all fit together. It's not bullshit, but it's also not the only tool in the box by any means.

Let's say I'm on a ketogenic diet for about a month now and wanted to do 5 days water fasting while lifting, how am I suppose to do it? Do I still need to eat 500 for pre-work meal?

Does not sound like keto to me. What macro split are you aiming for?

CICO is paramount to successfully losing weight. Fasting is a great addition with both health and weight loss benefits, it's also relatively simple.

How does one water fast and eat at the same time?

>powder
All of that protein will go straight to the liver and get turned to glucose

You need to be getting your protein from dietary sources, and realize that if you're going to do keto and IF, you will only need 1g/kg of lean mass of protein because your muscles will be in a protective state from the fasting

Mercola has an interview with D'agostino over keto, a good 30 mins is about training and watching your protein

D'agostino has a world record for squatting a cumulative 175,500 pounds over 24 hours while in keto, you can take your pick as to if you'll listen to Veeky Forums memers or strong men

>You can eat lesser 500 kcals a day and still on a fast

At least I read the sticky

I accidentally chewed gum, did I break my fast?

Only if it was a regular one YES.
Take the sugarfree ones.

But it says "take with food".
Why?

>look at before and after pics of people who did IF
>people look weird
>kind of like that guy who overdosed on caffeine
do not want tbqh

>notice there are no pics in this thread
really makes me think

Please point me to the part of the sticky that mentions water fasting then

>glucose soaked sharia blue faggots attacking the new font of vitality of the alt-right

Let me help you. Last half of the cut was done with IF. So, think harder.

Check out the fasting Q&A on dietdoctor.com, should be okay but I cant check rn

>>kind of like that guy who overdosed on caffeine
Story pls

>arm got bigger after cut

About to end a long fast (14 days), how long before refeeding should I take electrolyte supplements? And what kind of phosphate supplements should I use?