William Marshal was French

>William Marshal was French
Source: Histoire de Guillaume le Maréchal

Attached: Screenshot_20180312-222213.jpg (720x1057, 118K)

Why do Anglos have to claim everyone as their own?

>Guillaume le Maréchal was english
By : Nigel de Montaigu, 4th Earl of North Camberyork.

The biography is written in French so it's not exactly biased

Yes, I was just taking the piss about how an englishman who has a very much norman ancestry who studies History in desperate search for any trace of nationalistic sentiment he can attach to him.

The truth is that both the french claiming Marshal was french and the english claiming he was english are wrong and misusing History and are a complete cancer of Veeky Forums.
The truth is that the "french" and "english" identities, or even "races" (Because the word was employed) could mean different things, at different times, depending on different people ; In the same era as Marshal, you had Guillaume le Breton, chronicler of Saint-Denis, who wrote that there was a proud french race of which Marshal would have been part, but not a man from Toulouse or Bordeaux, while Rigord who wrote a few decades earlier, claimed on the contrary that the french were united by their lands and not by their tongue (As gauls and franks were both from Greece.. It's complicated) and so Marshal was excluded.

The truth about Wiliam Marshal is that he spent his life in nothern France and in southern England, to tourney and sometimes to war, he spoke the same "french" language with them (Though this french would be incomprehensible to any modern french speaker) and, when he had to defend the Plantagenêts, he fought against a common ennemy who were called "the french", even if "french" designated a specific kind of French from the region of the Isle-of-France, identified with Beauvais, Paris, and the Perche.

>Plantagenêts

Why the ê? You know they never actually called themselves that until the mid 15th century, right?

I just feel like medieval England didn't have any great historical figures and so i clung to William Marshal because his biography makes him seem like a nationalist

>medieval England didn't have any great historical figures

Are you joking? Is this bait?

Attached: _77721623_img_1483ss.jpg (450x450, 61K)

>I just feel like medieval England didn't have any great historical figures
Is this bait?
>Who is William of Ockham
>Who were the Oxford calculators
>Who is Adelard of Bath
>Who is Alcuin
>Who is Simon Bredon
>Who is Geoffery Chaucer
>Who is Thomas Mallory
>Who is Robert of Chester
>Who is Richard of Wallingford
You may not know the names, but their contributions are important

Btw, has Lindy published his DNA test results yet?

But History isn't meant for people to have great historical figures to cling to, it is a complete psychological construct.
England is not a land that was birthed by God since forever ; Just like France isn't. Countries change all the time.

Had you met Wiliame Marshall on his days, you would have not found him very "english". He would have probably been eating cheese, wine, and spending his days on tourneys and courting young ladies like all the young "chevaliers" from the other side of the Channel. That doesn't mean that he isn't part of the english History, that his blood isn't sown in the modern english people and land of Britain ; And if frenchmen can indeed claim that heritage, it's not something that they can steal, just share. Especially as Wiliam Marshal stopped Louis VIII from uniting the French and English crown, forever setting the rivalry between the two sides of the channel.

>king Louis of England
ShudderingLindy.gif

Sorry for using the name commonly used to describe the leading dynasty of the Kings of England, Dukes of Aquitaine, Dukes of Normandy, Dukes of Britanny, Lords of Ireland, and Counts of Maine, Nantes, Poitou and Anjou at the time of Wiliam Marshall. But I guess you would have rather me saying "Wiliam Marshal fought for England" while in fact the Plantagenets had a multi-cultural state with its own laws and affairs that they had to rule by moving around, sometimes not even residing in England.

>As gauls and franks were both from Greece

Attached: 1520224243988.jpg (199x155, 11K)

I'm not taking issue with the use of Plantagenet, I just want to know why you wrote it with ê when no-one at the time would have done so.

NORMANES EUNT DOMUS

People called Normanes they go the 'ouse?

I..it says Normans go home!

No it doesn't
What's latin for Norman?

Normannis?

Goes like?

Anus?

Vocative plural of 'annus' is?

This is what was taught by scholars up until the late XIXth Century, that France was founded by Francion, a mythic hero from Troy, and that his franks were greeks ; It actually went through many changes, first that the franks were from Troy, then that the gauls came from Troy, and then, even better, that the people of Troy were actually immigrants from Gaul.
Of course it's wrong, but it still must be taken into account to understand French History and how a Kingdom with different languages, different laws, different measure systems, different food to eat, managed to all work together and get the same sense of national identity, and very early for European History.

/int/niggers btfo