Why Korea failed to conquer anything? Goguryeo was quite huge, but after the "unification" of Korea...

Why Korea failed to conquer anything? Goguryeo was quite huge, but after the "unification" of Korea, they basically never conquered anything, even when China was divided and pretty weak.

Attached: Three_Kingdoms_of_Korea_Map.png (658x827, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uijo_of_Goryeo
db.history.go.kr/KOREA/document.do?recordId=kr_025_0030_0030_0090
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Goguryeo and and Baekje were not Koreans in the sense we know them. They were probably more related to the Jurchins and Manchu, who did go out and expand.

In the Samguk Sagi its said that the Baekje were invaders to the peninsula from Goguryeo. While Goguryeo and Baekje spoke the same language they didn't speak the same as Silla or Gaya, or the original Samhan inhabitants.

It would be Silla that would eventually unify the peninsula and modern Korean culture is an extension of that. Remember that the Samhan never existed in the north, and despite what medieval Korean texts may say, GoJoseon never really existed in the south.

A unified Korean identity only took place once the Goryeo dynasty was established;northern expansion was blocked by the Khitans and Jurchens.

>They were probably more related to the Jurchins and Manchu, who did go out and expand.
There's no consensus on what language family Buyeo belonged to. iirc Beckwith argues for Japonic,Vovin Koreanic and Janhunen Tungusic.

>Gaya, or the original Samhan inhabitants.
Probably some form of Japonic if toponym glosses are reliable.

>GoJoseon never really existed in the south.
According to Chinese texts,Choson was already a regional entity in the Liaoxi region before they migrated towards the northwestern parts of the Korean peninsula.

>There's no consensus on what language family Buyeo belonged to. iirc Beckwith argues for Japonic,Vovin Koreanic and Janhunen Tungusic.
But its clear it was not mutually intelligible with Shilla's language. What family it belongs to is up for debate. But considering where the Goguryeo people originate from I'm going to point to there.

>Probably some form of Japonic if toponym glosses are reliable.
Waves of immigrants came from various parts of Korea to Japan at different times. I don't think toponyms are reliable.

>According to Chinese texts,Choson was already a regional entity in the Liaoxi region before they migrated towards the northwestern parts of the Korean peninsula.
ie GoJoseon did not exist in the south. There's also at least two different historic Joseon states. One being founded by a Chinese aristocrat Wiman. Regardless neither one held any power in the southern half of the peninsula.

>it's a "why didn't X country just pointlessly blob all over their neighbours for no reason" episode

>But its clear it was not mutually intelligible with Shilla's language.
All we know is that Silla spoke Koreanic by the time they unified the Korean peninsula. We don't have enough information to differentiate separate Koreanic languages/dialects of that time period.

>But considering where the Goguryeo people originate from I'm going to point to there.
Vovin identified Koreanic loanwords in Southern Tungusic,furthermore the ancient Chinese distinguished between the languages spoken by the Tungusic Mohe and the Buyeo.

>Waves of immigrants came from various parts of Korea to Japan at different times. I don't think toponyms are reliable.
Japonic toponyms are exclusive to the areas inhabited by the Samhan.

>ie GoJoseon did not exist in the south.
I was just reiterating your point. Both Gojoseon and Buyeo are intrusive from the Korean peninsula migrating from the northwest and northeast respectively. Any talk of "Korea" prior to the Goryeo dynasty is hogwash.

Bump

>We don't have enough information to differentiate separate Koreanic languages/dialects of that time period.
>furthermore the ancient Chinese distinguished between the languages spoken by the Tungusic Mohe and the Buyeo.
The Chinese also noted the the Goryeo and the Baekje spoke the same language but not the Silla. While it might be a case of French and German being different languages in the same family is debateable. Same can be said with Goryeo/Buyeo and the Mohe. Frankly there's isn't enough evidence either way.

But given their different origins and where Goryeo originated from and where the Samhan originated from, I'd put Goryeo more closer to the Tungusic people if not in terms of linguistics, certainly culture. With Goryeo and Silla blending culture more as they operated in each other's spheres.

>Frankly there's isn't enough evidence either way.
There's more evidence supporting Buyeo related languages was some form of Koreanic rather than Tungusic thanks to grammatical articles and Koreanic loanwords in Jurchen/Manchu.

What is also interesting is the Chinese noted that the language spoken by the Yemaek related polities was said to be similar to Buyeo and Goguryeo.

>But given their different origins and where Goryeo originated from and where the Samhan originated from,
There's a large gap of time from the Samhan to Unified Silla I don't see why linguistic homogenization can be ruled out.

>I'd put Goryeo more closer to the Tungusic people if not in terms of linguistics, certainly culture.

How so? Did the Tungusic people build stone fortresses like the 3 kingdoms of Korea?

During that period, stone fortresses (walled cities) were distinctly Korean and overwhelmingly built in the 3 kingdoms of Korea as an integral aspect of their culture and society. It separated them culturally from their neighbors. China built fortresses with bricks or rammed earth mainly on flat ground. Meanwhile, most Korean fortresses were built along mountains or hills. Can you provide some evidence of Tungusic people building stone fortresses at that time or prior?

Well, I'm just wondering why Korea never try to take back those territories that used to belong to Goguryeo.

This logic is completely flawed.
Who is to stay that Goguryeo didn't invent the first stone fortress, or that because Goguryeo's prime territory was in Korea it didn't adapt its tactics, or that they didn't capture a Silla fortress and then copied its designs. You're not talking about origins, you're talking about developments shaped by contact. I'm not saying there's no way Goguryeo/Baekje weren't the same stock as Silla. But they obviously had a different language (possibly in the same family) and came out of different areas. And cultural similarities that developed a couple hundred years later is more likely explained by cultural exchanges.

This sort of shit reminds me of Egami's horse rider theory.
>In the 4th century Japan suddenly started putting horses gear in their tombs
>Therefore the Yamato were founded by Central Asian nomads
Or the Yamato came into conflict with horseman in Korea (native Japanese horses were way too small) quickly realized their benefit as did any people who did, and then started an aristocratic cavalry culture.

Because either China or random Steppenigs blocked them.
>Cockblocked by Han Dynasty.
>By Cao Wei
>By the Northern Tuoba Wei.
Did manage to BTFO the Sui though.
>Blocked by the Tang
>Blocked by the Liao
>Blocked by J*rchens.
>Blocked by Mongs.
>Cucked by Ming.
>Cucked by Qing.

Attached: Jurchens.jpg (1000x1420, 325K)

their best warriors have less testosterone than Thai ladyboys

Koreans have long considered themselves a combination of the northern and southern peoples, like Japanese consider themselves a combination of Jomon and Yayoi or the Chinese and the Warring States. The unified Korean identity is from Koryŏ not Silla, which was plagued by infighting and resulted in the separation of Paekche and Koguryŏ again. Koryŏ was founded by a Koguryŏ descendant continuing Koguryŏ’s political legacy. The capital was in Koguryŏ territory, and soon after its creation it merged with the royal class of Parhae, which was the other successor of Koguryŏ. To claim that modern Koreans only descend from Samhan is disingenuous.

Reading about all that stuff is actually quite fascinating. How different exactly Koguryo was from Silla? Also, if Koguryo's legacy is pretty strong in Korea, why did the Koreans accept to abandon all the Koguryo's clays? Considering that much of Koguryo is now in China, I fail to see how Silla unified anything.

Goryeo has nothing to do with Goguryeo/old Goryeo other than the name. Although Taejo claimed ancestry from the Goguryeo royal family. His brithplace had been apart of Silla for like 400 years. its sort of like when China fractures and states take on the names of historic states. I don't know how much continuity there is there.

> I fail to see how Silla unified anything.
Silla was allied with the Tang, and Silla was able to absorb the other kingdoms. It unified them and much of the peninsula. Yeah a log of Goguryeo's territory was now apart of its ally, and a lot of Goguryeo's ancestrial homeland was now apart of Balhae... but still.

Koryŏ never abandoned the hope of regaining Koguryŏ land. The first thing that the founder of Koryŏ did was regain Pyongyang. There was a famous diplomat called Seo Hui who negotiated the return of a big chunk of Koguryŏ land from Liao by telling them that it belonged to Koryŏ because Koryŏ==Koguryŏ. It worked. Koryŏ later defeated Liao and got favorable terms. Koryŏ also had numerous battles with the Jurchens over territory in Manchuria and most of them were successful. The land was eventually returned though to establish peace - which in hindsight was smart because the Jurchens went on to create the Jin Empire, and they were fucking cruel to their enemies (eg Jingkang). Then the Mongols came along. After the Mongols weakened, Koryŏ conquered Liaodong briefly before returning. The Koryŏ monarch told his main general to conquer it for good but the general instead staged a coup. The mastermind behind the coup and establishment of Chosŏn was a politician called Jeong Do Jeon. He too specifically planned out the conquest of Liaodong for the future of Chosŏn, but he got assassinated. Chosŏn later became extremely friendly with Ming so all of those plans of recovering land were discarded. Later, Chosŏn got cucked by Qing, so yeah...

Absolutely wrong. Kaesong was never a part of Silla prior to Koguryŏ‘s fall. It was King Hyoso who gained it and built Silla’s first fortress there.

>However, it became a territory of Silla in 555, the 16th year of Jinheung of Silla's reign, and its name was changed to Song'ak-gun during the period. According to the Samguk Sagi, when a castle was built in the site in 694, the third year of Hyoso of Silla's reign, Kaesong was referred to as "Song'ak (송악; 松嶽)". Therefore, it is assumed that the name Song'ak had been used at least before the time

I stand corrected about Kaesong. My apologies.

Taejo didn’t claim descent from THE royal family though, just a noble Koguryŏ family.

>inb4 I get corrected again

Your right.

As a side note some of the Goguryeo royal family fled to Japan, there's a shrine in Saitama for the Koma clan (高麗).

Unfortunately most of the shrine has been updated over the years, and the artwork looks more like something from the Joseon period than from the 3 kingdoms.

Sort of like everything in Korea today. Being a fan of the three kingdoms period, it sucks going to Korea and having every recreation being based on Joseon designs with the same color schemes.

>Frankly there's isn't enough evidence either way.
There's more evidence supporting Buyeo related languages was some form of Koreanic rather than Tungusic thanks to grammatical articles and Koreanic loanwords in Jurchen/Manchu.

How so? Did the Tungusic people build stone fortresses like the 3 kingdoms of Korea?

Can you provide some evidence of Tungusic people building stone fortresses at that time or prior?

>Can you provide some evidence of Tungusic people building stone fortresses at that time or prior?
That's not a valid argument
see:
Any power in the peninsula would likely have shared tactics, culture and dress, with the other kingdoms regardless of their ethnic origins. Look at how Mongol and Manchu change once they enter China.

But after looking into it, it does seem the Chinese recorded that Goguryeo language was related to Silla's. And the Samguk Sagi and Samguk Yusa says the later Silla's language was similar to Goguryeo's so its logical that they were similar during the older periods as well

FUCKING FINNSHITS U THINK WE DON'T WANT WAR?

>Koryŏ was founded by a Koguryŏ descendant continuing Koguryŏ’s political legacy.
>Although Taejo claimed ancestry from the Goguryeo royal family.
This is almost certainly hagiography to conceal his mercantile roots but his grandfather was supposedly the son of Tang Suzong.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uijo_of_Goryeo

Shut it, Hwan douchebag, I assure you that autistic people can still fight. Ever heard of retard strength?

>bumping a dead thread at page 11

Huh?

Anyway, here’s an interesting quote by Kublai Khan about Goryeo. Even Kublai motherfucking Khan considered Goryeo to be Goguryeo. Shame that modern politics is making things complicated.

>皇弟驚喜曰, “高麗萬里之國, 自唐太宗親征而不能服, 今其世子, 自來歸我, 此天意也.”

db.history.go.kr/KOREA/document.do?recordId=kr_025_0030_0030_0090

Attached: B0DD39F8-7900-4010-A8DB-4F7409E131D8.png (1280x848, 2.1M)

>This is almost certainly hagiography to conceal his mercantile roots but his grandfather was supposedly the son of Tang Suzong.
I fail to understand, why was it so important to be related to Goguryeo. Silla and Baekje don't seem that well considered, which is weird since Silla won in the end.

>I fail to understand, why was it so important to be related to Goguryeo.
His hometown fell within Gorguryeo's borders,Wang Geon was really no different than Chinese dynastic pretenders who use the mantle of defunct polities to found a new mandate. In any case,the royal Wang family enhanced their legitimacy by claiming descent from the Tang Suzong not Goguryeo nobles.

>Goguryeo was quite huge

Everything 50 miles north of Seoul is borderline uninhabitable