youtube.com/watch?v=sMsTsMS5XEk
youtube.com/watch?v=P-XYS7wYz2I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

HIP
DRAHV

he said stretching is bad

"We're all gonna make it, brah"

Do SS

bulking is stupid for most people. the best way to be good at sports is to get as small as your frame allows so you can be a maxcardio fag with as much cns efficiency as possible with lifting. max aesthetics is same thing. i swear to god mark is heavier than me but i could whoop his ass in literally any real sport (read: not pling) because i dont bulk

This one
All of my problems with my hips went away when I started stretching hard after every workout
In his defense, he's not saying everyone should bulk. I think a lot of people misinterpret his teachings. He caters to lifters and occasionally football players. For them, bulking certainly will help.

Weightlifters should train low-bar

Obese people should bulk
You should eat 7,000 kcal to bulk
Basically literally everything he ever said about nutrition ever.

Good source of legit strength and conditioning advice, but still not as good compared to sources like dr. Mike israetel or Eric helms or brad schoenfeld.

Actual academics at the forefront of modern scientific understandings of hypertrophy, and who are also actually jacked af, unlike marku rippletitties who looks like your average DYEL dad

Well they should, just not nearly with the same frequency as high bar.

>young, novice lifters looking to build some muscle should all squat low-bar 3 times per week and eat Big Macs for every meal in order to become harder to kill. Period
what did he mean by this?

youtu.be/10hdK9dAjM8

plenty of garbage here

Deep squatting cures cancer.

this. i remember when i was playing rugby i came to this site and bulked.. that was retarded i was way too heavy to play and wasn't used to running around at that size lol.

Hello, my name is mark rippetoe and this is the best beginner program

not "wrong" necessarily but the "eyes / nips to the floor while low bar squatting" made me do these awful good morning squats and i felt like i was gonna snap my shit up

i kept my chest and eyes up and kept my hip drive and all of a sudden my squat was fine. i think the nips to floor is good for people who don't use hip drive but if you go overboard with hip drive like i was it will just make it worse

yep

Anything he says about olympic weightlifting is generally wrong. Apart from that he's all good

It's not technically "wrong" but

I feel his style of 30 minute "tutorials" where he SLOWLY tells unskilled individuals how to do a rather simple movement are completely fucking useless, and are one of the main reasons we haven't had good concise video tutorials until relatively recently.

His entire fitness paradigm is fundamentally flawed. Strength training big powerlifting movements + olympic power cleans is objectively retarded and detrimental for the vast majority of humans. He unlike other barbell autists directs his shit wisdom at the masses rather than an esoteric group seeking only to begin building strength.

Don't even know this guy, but I'm all ears, gimme a quick rundown on him

squat 3 times a week and drink a gallon of milk a day

pfft go watch athleanx or some gay shit if you dont want to actually learn about proper technique you fag

athleanx is also bloated garbage

compare to, say, Alan Thrall or Candito, they blow Rippletits out of the water even though they don't have muh decades of experience.

HWHY?

traps aren't gay

alan thrall is a starting strength coach you idiot, where do you think he learnt everything he knows?

>doing more squats will make you a better cyclist/runner/fighter no matter your level.

he refuses to understand there's a trade off between strength and other things.

Learn how to read you illiterate fucktard. I'm criticizing the style and length of Rippletits's """"tutorial""""" videos not their technical validity.

came here to post this

Starting Strength's biggest problem is that it gives you the idea that you're healthy and fit by going to the gym 3 days a week to do 3x5 sets of 3 exercises, sitting on your ass for 3-5 minutes in between sets.

It's also touted as really good in getting your strength up really high, but it's good for getting your SQUATS high. Everything else has a 1.5 a week average frequency. Stalled on bench? Too bad, according to the program you can't attempt it again until 4-5 days later. Compared to PPL, you can attempt a PR 3-4 days later. (E.g. if you fail bench on the friday, the next day with bench is NEXT WEDNESDAY)

There's a reason why you barely see any pictures from the starting strength craze a couple years ago and all the successful "made it" transformations are a PPL or upper/lower split

Mark Rippetoe explicitly tells obese people not to bulk in Starting Strength, and advocates a 400 calorie surplus as a starting point for a bulk (only advocates GOMAD for those guys who have a hard time gaining weight)

Mark has said plenty of completely retarded shit we can pull up, but let's not make things up

He includes bench press in "the program," but per his own words, we should be replacing the bench press with weight vest push-ups (at least through the novice stage).

Also, power cleans are a joke for the novice lifter at best and a high injury risk at worst.

DRAAAAAAAAAHV HIP!

That you can gain 46 lbs of muscle in 6 months, with SS + bulk.

Its funny how the vast majority of the comments in this thread is really fucking stupid and how you are all clueless shits

being fat makes you stronger

It's bad in certain situations
From now on, stretch your hamstrings a few times a day. See how you feel in you starting deadlift position now.

Need I say more ?

Yeah baby, keep drinking that sweet sweet semen directly from mark's cock, I know you like it. Just keep swallowing.

Lol wut. He says stretching is bad before hand and it's fine afterwards.

>Starting Strength's biggest problem is that it gives you the idea that you're healthy and fit by going to the gym 3 days a week to do 3x5 sets of 3 exercises, sitting on your ass for 3-5 minutes in between sets.

it's a strength program for beginners. we can talk about how strength is measured, but squatting and deadlifting heavy is probably a good estimate about how much weight you can move.

if you're concerned with abs and arms, do something else.

if you're concerned about your cardiovascular fitness, do random cardio on your off-days, or do something else.

the program does one thing and that's building maximum strength in the shortest amount of time.

most people don't even follow SS closely and still have insane results, e.g. a 150kg squat after 6 months of training.

>Need I say more ?

The video pictured is demonstrating the double lay back press often used in the Olympics.

This is not "The Press 2.0" taught in Starting Strength.

I do not own Starting strength starterpack:
Pretend Mark Fattoe said everyone should gomad
Pretend he only advocates squatting
Pretend he said fat dudes should eat a surplus of calories

He believes low bar squatting works hamstrings effectively, which is just not true.

youtube.com/watch?v=-08XAjzjTUQ

He and his certified Starting Strength trainers (or whatever his fat minions are called) justify doing 5 reps by talking about myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic hypertrohpy:

youtube.com/watch?v=Pr9NKAc5Pc4

Meanwhile, that's all horseshit:

youtube.com/watch?v=sMsTsMS5XEk

That's pretty basic, but he's said many other things that are equally retarded. His advice is generally dumb and ill-informed.

When you actually look into the arguments he uses to back up his bs, you'll realize how shitty this guy is.

GOMAD is stupid
For any normal person squatting 3x a week is stupid since squats are arguably the easiest or 2nd easiest lift to progress on

He said real men weigh >200lbs.

Oh wait, that's right

Eating at more than a 500 calorie surplus is good for people who don't want to compete in top weight classes in strength sports

>Pretend he only advocates squatting
He designs all of his programs with squats as the first priority, usually at the expense of deadlifts.

>Eating at more than a 500 calorie surplus is good for people who don't want to compete in top weight classes in strength sports

It's good if you're a 140lbs skellington and are desperate to look like a man.

how is gaining an excessive and unnecessary amount of fat gonna make you "look like a man"

>how is gaining an excessive and unnecessary amount of fat gonna make you "look like a man"
because you're also gaining muscle at the same time. shedding excess fat is easy, gaining muscle mass is hard.

you can easily drop from 25% to 20% body fat in 4 weeks if you have your diet under control.

No it isn't. The more fat you add the more you must later take off, meaning more muscle lost/less time gaining, which, unless you want to be heavy and are not bothered whether it's muscle or fat (which is a rare and specific goal), is stupid as fuck. He can claim his lifters are strong partly by bouncing their fat guts off their thighs at the bottom of a squat.

literally all of that is completely accurate. the vast majority of physical therapy is a complete fucking fraud from start to finish

first of all, when you gain too much fat, your skin is likely to suffer. Stretch marks are common, and loose skin is possible too. That will stay with you.

And gaining a shitload of fat just to cut later is not advantageous. Gaining a bit of fat is ok, which is what you would gain on a 500 cal surplus. More than that is just nonsensical.

This

When you're eating in excess of what is necessary to recover maximally, your bulk becomes a fat gaining endeavour whether you know it or not. Bonus points if your macros are terrible which rippetoe is notoriously quiet about.

Getting fat, at any point in your life, will make it easier to gain fat during the rest of your life. Also there simply isn't any long-term advantage to bulking too hard. It might get you a few kg extra progress on SS at the cost of gaining a kg or more fat weight per week.

>Q: "Have you ever coached a client who is vegan?"
>A: "No, I don't deal with eating disorders"
LENTILS ARE AMAZING FOR GAINS SHUT UP

>eating anything that isnt meat means you're vegan
that reply is just showing how based he is

dude squats lmao
youtube.com/watch?v=P-XYS7wYz2I

There is literally nothing wrong with not consuming animal corpses and secretions

That's still incorrect. Even if we're talking static stretches they won't lead to any decrease in strength if done for 10-15s. Also, if mobility is your limiting factor in a certain lift, stretching thoroughly before said lift may cause a decrease in absolute strength output but still let you lift more because of the (mechanically) better position you lift from

>implying SS doesn't recommend arms isolation later on
The shiggs were shigged

Other than potentially lethal nutritional deficits and forever being an effeminate weakling, i agree.

Why don't you read the sentence that comes right after the underlined one?

>Other than potentially lethal nutritional deficits
Name ONE nutrient that is INHERENTLY lacking from a vegan diet
>and forever being an effeminate weakling
Post ONE MECHANISTIC (not population) study according to which vegans have lower testosterone or whatever

Gaining fat is the most important part of gaining weight. Whenever I bulk I always make sure to gain at least 20kg of fat.