Why does no one on Veeky Forums talk about olympic weightlifting anymore?

Why does no one on Veeky Forums talk about olympic weightlifting anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nLVJTBZtiuw
instagram.com/armenian_strength/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

yeah....I hardly ever see /owg/ any more

fad went out of style

people realize that oly llifting is hard work for little gains,

>people realize that oly llifting is hard work for little gains,

youtube.com/watch?v=nLVJTBZtiuw

Because it requires as very specific set of genetics to do it properly and safely. Not to mention it's a lot more advanced in regards to technique. Very hard to get into unless you actually are extremely serious about it.

powerlifting squats are a fucking abomination

>Because it requires as very specific set of genetics to do it properly and safely

It doesn't really. It requires excellent posture though which is rare with all sitting and hunching 99% of people do 24/7.

Olympic weightlifting.

There. Now let's talk about steel cut oats

this is just what the average gym bro thinks. in the real world there is so much information on the net these days that while you may not ever get good enough to seriously compete (outside of local meets and such) pretty much anyone with the mobility can learn the olympic lifts

Very difficult to learn without coaching
Not as much muscle gains
Fewer gyms oly
Requires significant athletic ability

LOL no it doesn't stop spreading this shit because you have no idea what you are talking about

Yes this may be true if you want to compete seriously but the average person who just wants to weightlift for fun can easily learn the lifts themselves, even without much athletic ability.

Now i understand why no one talks about weightlifting on Veeky Forums anymore, it's because you idiots have scared people away from it by claiming it's some sport that only superhumans can do

I live in burger land and the only way I can get into anything remotely Olympic weightlifting is joining a local cross fit cult

Legend has it if you post loli a underage weightlifting chad will reply.

Fit is getting overpopulated with genetic dead ends that believe you need 3-5 years to hit 1/2/3/4 so something like oly lifting is too scary.

Just teach yourself if you really want to do it. It's not impossible.

I don't think any of those powerlifters hit depth.

idiot

Anyone tried any of the Catalyst Athletics programs? Does anyone have any recommendations for programs?

He's right.

probably because we don't talk about lifting anymore.
we're /metafit/

Read the book follow the progressions do not jump into the programs without learning the lifts (The reason why is because its pointless to do it without proper form).
Check out clarence's videos on omarlsufs channel.
And if your squat sucks dick do more squats.

The starter program is good.

cant do the lifts in commercials gyms and you need an elite squat and athleticism to have any decent numbers or to progress at all

>decent numbers
You think all weightlifters are just born being able to snatch 100 and c&j 140?

Pretty much all commercial gyms have bumper plates now.

You're literally a retard

people's moms probably got tired of them dropping weights all the time

thanks guys!

Imo if you're just starting out there are better programs out there. the 70s big weightlifting programs are really good if you've already got a bit of strength.

Because Veeky Forums is 60% /adv/, 30% /r9k/, 5% Veeky Forums, 4% /b/, and the remaining one percent actually lift, and they're in /plg/

Right as of now I can snatch 90kg, clean & jerk 110kg and backsquat 150kg. I'd love to hit 100/125, but it seems so far away.

>a board about fitness isn't entirely about powerlifting
really makes you think

Because anyone remotely sucessful or involved in olympic weightlifting has better things to do than shitpost here

what are your deadlift and push press numbers like? Those are almost as important for the lifts as squats are

>learn the lifts themselves, even without much athletic ability.
"no", whenever I see "self-taught" lifters all I see are people jump-shrugging and stomping their feet around.

>I can snatch 90kg, clean & jerk 110kg
Sick ratio Tbh, your snatch is either really good or your jerk is bad.

>can push press 100 kg
>failed a 105kg jerk
what the fuck is my problem

oh and let me self-diagnose: weak legs

Technique probably Tbh

not getting under fast enough

My squat stance is extremely narrow, very close to my starting position in my clean. What should I focus on my feet doing in the second pull?

Beyond extension, they're moving minimally. Not sure if I should continue with a hard landing or just plant them.

Just plant them, your feet should only leave the floor as a natural consequence of power production and it doesn't actually help at all in and of itself.

Idk, Olympic weightlifting has like 2 lifts worth talking about. The clean and snatch.
Everything else is just a variation. There really isn't much to talk about.

your problem is that your push press is actually a semi jerk

I thought the hard landing was meant to improve stability when receiving?

90 percent of gym goers can't even handle doing clean Squats, what the fuck makes you think an even more specialized lift like clean and jerk is something an average person can do without at least 6 months of stretching. They do it wrong. Even kids who think they are good at it at my gym are just kidding themselves with their mediocre form and weight because the world records are retarded for c&j and snatch. It's a serious sport like gymnastics and requires a lot of athletic ability.
Look at how fast someone with real genetics can move and how much weight they can push. This guys cousin is world class oly.

instagram.com/armenian_strength/

Landing wider does improve stability, but how hard it is is no matter, that's only a consequence of power.

Cool, thank you

Besides the Pendlay clean/snatch videos, are there any videos that do a decent job of walking through and teaching the lifts?

I don't know, I have had coaching since day one. Maybe try looking for some Russian or Ukrainian lifters?

nope, 100% clean form. My strict press is 80 kg

>cherrypicking memeside barbell squats

Don't worry about it bro, only DYEL memers (hint: they call it "oly" or "olympic lifting") keep perpetuating this shit. Most of us know that weightlifting is just as much of a meme """sport""" as powerlifting.

I don't consider powerlifting a sport. And going by the same metrics, weightlifting isn't a sport either. It's an event like throwing or discus.

I am sick and tired of dyel olyniggers using that video as "hurr durr puwerrliftturrs are duuumb".

Sure thing, I can agree with that.

One could argue that powerlifting is a bit more accessible, but it's still just as difficult to reach the upper echelons and really dial in form. I might be biased coming from a powerlifting background to weightlifting, but still.

Yeah, any 16 year old can "powerlift" but they will snap their shit if they don't follow proper form, much like oly lifters.

Yep, arguably easier to learn but just as hard to master, especially if you get into equipped lifting. I bet most of the dudes making those videos and memeing about "le oly xD" have never even been in the same room as a squat suit.

>highbar masterrace

Because olympic lifts are harder to learn and easier to injure yourself with. I wouldn't recommend somebody try olympic weightlifting unless they have a trainer who knows what they're doing.

Also very boring, if you want to learn weightlifting, I really hope you like doing triples of the same two exercises with babbyweight while some guy constantly corrects your form for 2 months.

just self teach, the lifts are much more interesting that way

Fuck off with that shit, you fucking can't. You'd literally be better off doing crossfit than trying to teach yourself.

I do weightlift by the way, but I see how it's not for everyone since that really is what it requires in order to learn properly, many many sets of babbyweight.

Plebs aren't cut out for it. I love it, but no one here talks about it so I don't bother either. I don't have anything to discuss either since I talk with my coach and teammates every day.

I was more or less being sarcastic but you can self-teach. You'll either hit a wall or become more mechanically efficient. I'm getting to be an old fart and have no plans on ever competing, the lifts are just fun to learn and do.

It's stupid and pointless, even if you want to just stay in shape you're better off joining a club and learning how to do it properly.

lol just let the guy enjoy his lifts. Not everybody wants to compete or cares very much about the weight on the bar.

Not afraid of diving under 90kg snatch, but the clean is fucked when it gets heavy. And i have shit leg drive in the jerk.

I mean I still want to get up to a decent weight for my clean. First goal is 160 or so.

yeah you need human genetics which give you two legs and two arms. this is why you never see dogs doing oly. they just don't have the right genetics

back to your containment thread tripfag

>hard work for little gains
depends on what you call gains. they definitely get tremendous explosivity/athleticism gains. but yeah if you wanna look good that's probably not what you're looking for. Clarence, Torokhtiy and Klokov (typical swole oly lifters) are juiced to the gills by definition.
Although there are some people (I think Pendlay) who actually maintain that Push Presses will yield just as much shoulder hypertrophy, but I haven't cared to put that claim to the test.

I think push presses are one of the best "hypertrophy" picks you can take out of oly lifting. While Klokov is obviously not natty, his defining lift is rather the push press than Sn/Jerk. His push press highlights his insane pressing strength, and I think it may have contributed to his big chest without too much benching

desu I think it's just the genetics being brought out by next level russian roids. I mean he could literally spend his days on his couch and he's probably look the same.
As for explosive lifts and hypertrophy that's something I've always wanted to know.
Maybe one day I'll try and see if I can maintain/gain.