Gym Etiquette

Going to the gym for the first time. Memes aside, anything I should know? Do I need a spotter for the bench?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=tAAAbwEtZRo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Do I need a spotter for the bench?
Only if you're lifting heavy.

It's tradition to chest bump people as you walk past them and generally considered rude if you don't

make sure you bench in the power rack

Don't wear earbuds or listen to any music. You want to seem open comfortable and approachable, not beta. Also having your hearing fucked with like that can mess with your balance on lifts like the squat.

Unironically grunt while lifting to improve performance. It helps setup the atmosphere as relaxed yet serious about doing lifting work.

>Dont leave your weights lying around
>Nobody cares about your opinion not EVEN IF they ask for it
>Dont make alot of sounds, just focus on breathing
>Dont stare at people, you can peek around of course
>bring a bro whos a seasoned lifter so that his broscience can protect you

Dont look at the ass. Even though she wears tights and only does asswork.

Do not flirt with girls who are half your age. You'll get kicked out.

tip the receptionist. dont be a dick

2nd'd

>put your dumbells/plates back
>if someone looks like they may be using something you need to use, ask if they're still using it
>don't feel overwhelmed, no-one gives a shit about how much you lift
>don't give unsolicited advice
>take any unsolicited advice you receive with a pinch of salt
>OHP in the squat rack is fine, just don't be in there for more than 15mins
>form is the most important thing ever
>squats and deadlifts are the 2 exercises which have the most chance of fucking you up if not done properly
>tip the receptionist

walk right up to the biggest guy in there and fight him
that way everyone will know you aint no bitch

please rerack your weights... other than that, just don't go full retarded

>>squats and deadlifts are the 2 exercises which have the most chance of fucking you up if not done properly
Bench has the highest fatality risk though

If you see a female using the squat rack, the proper way to greet her is to sniff her ass and ask what type of protein she has been taking lately.

skill vs chance

Question-
I just started out but when I do Cardio the machines have Netflix and I've been watching Kill la Kill. I try to go in the corner machines but people still walk by and give me weird looks. Should I not give a fuck or should I consider that innocent other gym goers think I'm watching some sort of perverted hentai? Is there etiquette for this?

don't drop the soap in the showers and bring a shiv.

yes. stop watching cartoons and grow up.

If you felt you had to hide it, then why watch it in public? Or fuck the haters, and watch it anyway. bring your own speakers, play at max volume. Cosplay.

personally greet every girl you see on the gym. It's considered rude and bad manners if you don't

working on my physical health is going to be hell of a lot easier than fixing my mental health, so I think I'll do one at a time.
Everyone else watches fucking Dr. Oz and Divorce court it's not like I'm gonna enjoy that shit.

You should know that no one gives a fuck about you in the slightest. Once you realize then your gym experience will be a lot calmer.

I mean I'm not ashamed I just was wondering if theres like a "Keep it PG" rule of thumb at gyms and you're not supposed to make other people feel uncomfortable.

Except women and their phones. Fucking cunts. Would prefer to lift in the company of men only.

>I would prefer to lift in the company of only men
Unironically this, n-no homo

You will be seen as a weirdo like it or not, I personally don't have a problem with that not normies gonna norm

Nothing wrong with watching anime the degenerate shit normies watch is just as bad if not worse

Not if you do it in the rack with the bars on

Fuck. I've been doing it all wrong then.

Serious question, do you tip receptionists every time you go to the gym?

traditional

I tipped the receptionist today and she looked at me like I did something wrong, and one of his friends actually laughed after I left the gym. What the fuck? Did I just fell for a meme?

I've never seen a single person tip the gym receptionist I think it might be a meme.

>leave weights lying around to establish dominance
>make sure to inform all nearby lifters of the weight you are about to lift
>if you see someone struggling with a weight, don't help them, if they fail it's their own fault
>make sure to drop your weight as hard as possible to make sure that the manufacturing quality is of industry standard (if the weights break inform the management and then sue them for gross misconduct)
>ensure that you bring chalk for every lift and offer it to nearby patrons (if they decline then sprinkle some on their stuff so they can take it home and use it later)
But most importantly:
>never, EVER, squat in the curl rack

Depends on the type of gym.
For example, if you lift at uni like me, you obviously won't tip that receptionist. It would be like tipping a cafeteria worker. But if you're a paying member of a commercial gym, it's just good etiquette to hand them a few dollars as you shake their hand on the way out.

This is legit good advice

If I use chalk do I need to worry about cleaning up? I went to my roommate's commercial gym for a couple of weeks and they left up a passive aggressive sign about using "powder."

Nah leave tons on the bar, the next person will thank you for it

>Pull bench into squat rack
>Do sitting dumbbell overhead press
>Leave dumbbells after one set and leave

If you forgot your own squat plug and have to borrow someone else's make sure you lick it clean before handing it back.

False divorce court is funny as fuck

This is a good example of how to act mate
m.youtube.com/watch?v=tAAAbwEtZRo

Shit well I fucked that up

>If you don't crush your skull then you have done a successful skull crusher
>If you still have to do the sets even if you decline bench
>the deadlift is hard to get right at first but the gym necromancer can give you tips
>squatting in a gym is illegal (trespassing) as all gyms are private property
>the best way to get protons is the gyms partical accelerater ask the gym physicist for the keys
>curling in the squat rack leads to pl8 gettting thrown at you

Don't forget your towel

This, also don't throw the weights to the floor