Good practical and though martial art to do with little brother?

My little brother has been slowly falling into the beta gamer loser spiral. He doesn't have many friends and lacks self confidence. I thought of joining a martial art club with him. That way, we get to train with each other and be more confident (also I get to see cuties). What are some martial arts suggestions? I thought of either judo or BJJ, somethung that is practical and physically challenging

Do you want to strike or do you want to grapple?

If you want to strike, then do boxing or muay thai. If you want to grapple, then do BJJ.

If you don't mind tumbling, judo is good. Better for learning how to grapple while also staying on your feet. Jiu Jitsu is a ground-oriented grappling art, sort of like Greco-Roman wrestling.

In a "real" fight, BJJ or wrestling will be of more use to the average person. However, I personally think Judo pairs better with striking arts.

try mortal kombat or tekken

This. BBJ is only good if both you and your opponent are in the ground, which is not ideal for self defense /street fighting.

>In a "real" fight, BJJ or wrestling will be of more use to the average person. However, I personally think Judo pairs better with striking arts.
You probably never were in a fight. Boxing and muay thai are the most useful things for a real fight, ranging from amateur to professional.

muay thai is better.
been doing for seven months.
find a gym that mixes girls and boys and just go already

BJJ sounds like a perfect fit for you guys
it's comfy af

Which martial art has the best cuties? Are BJJ dojos full of brazilian hotties with giant asses?

There's three main people who attend my BJJ club me, my dad and one of the instructors friend. It's actually pretty damn comfy desu, Royce Gracie even visits a city an hour away from me so I get to see him every summer. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I haven't seen any Brazilian women in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

I do BJJ, and it's a lot of fun.

It's also, literally, the gayest martial art in existence. I pay $80 to mount, and get submitted by, other sweaty dudes.

9/10, would recommend.

>Grappling
Judo and Bjj are both good. I prefer Judo. Wrestling is also good.

>Striking
Muay Thai and kickboxing. Boxing can be good too, though more narrow focus.

>Real fight
Throwing somebody to the asphalt will win you the fight in most cases. A good wrestler or judoka is nasty on the street.

T. Bouncer

I've been doing bjj since feb this year with my friend. Really enjoying. Built a lot of confidence and gave me something to do besides gym. Would reccomend

Btw I am from Montreal if that helps, I feel like there are 6 quadrillion martial arts, all with their variations and sub-types. I don't know the difference between BJJ and normal Jiujitsu, judo vs sambo vs wrestling, kickboxing vs boxing etc... can anyone give me a quick run down on martial art types? Any good gym around Montreal region?

Bumperino

BJJ is like 90% ground work while jujitsu vanilla is a lot more standing, imagine sort of the middle ground between judo and BJJ, hell they even have a lot of the same throws and strangles from both.

t. Former Jujitsu student

Now idk about sambo but with wrestling it's a lot more usage of the upper body's muscles to throw (especially greco roman)

While with judo they usually use their back or throw by putting the opponent off balance.

To put it simply, one is a sport that can be deadly in a fight and the other is designed to turn a bad situation around.

It doesn't matter which style you choose desu. BJJ, wrestling, boxing, MT, Judo etc... all of these are practical and physically challenging.

As long as you stick around long enough to develop the skills. I see more chicks in MT if that's your angle... like imo it's a chick sport nowadays except in Thailand where it's still very much a man thing. But if you go to a chick heavy gym don't expect to learn much - the trainers will invariably favour them 100% of the time and you won't get the help you need.

Where I am, BJJ is the guy sport with minimal chick interference which is actually a good thing. Trust me, find a gym with balance in this regard or you are just wasting your money and time.

Everyone on fit is going to say some meme as answers. Get him into boxing so he can defend himself, gave fun, but also take on a very masculine hobby. BJJ is pretty useless in the real world and most street fights arent taken to the ground. But BJJ is a good hobby.

But if you want you brother to defend himself, have a kickass hobby, look good and lift (most boxers lift) then get him into boxing

Boxing
It's more practical and bitches love an athlete
> how olds your bro

He's 15. I'm not so sure about boxing. Most of boxing are borderline white trash and niggers, not the kind of environnement I want for my brother. What's more practical, normal jiu jitsu or BJJ? I am leaning towards jiu jitsu and judo

Boxing is the shit though
Say some kid is picking on him for like overwatch or whatever game is out now
He gets up, jabs the fucker in the jaw and the fight ends
You can say what you want about black people but niggas know how to street fight
Ghetto boxing gyms are the best for practical boxing
Otherwise go for wrestling or judo

Boxing. Boxing gets you in the craziest shape of your life. Better than nearly any other sport. My friend was a professional sprinter and even he said boxing was a different level.

The only thing is its hard to keep going. The sport is brutual. You either have it in you or you don't

That's true but he's somewhat easily influenced by others. I think it's better for him to start a grappling sport and then boxing. He needs to build some character. Plus wrestling looks gay, nothing against the athletes though

I doubt he would become like them bro. If anything they would help counteract his current path in life. Plus dealing with them helps you deal with anyone confidently.

>BJJ
>Practical

Early on is good but whatever you think is best for your bro
Wrestling is one of those unexpected techniques as in most fights you expect to trade blows and judo is just scary on concrete
You could just have him do mma or kickboxing but it will be harder to find a legit gym for it

BJJ is for fucking dorks. Get him in wrestling or boxing. Judo or muay thai will work as well.

>every fight i've ever seen irl ended up on the ground
get out more

What about normal jiu jitsu? Any good?

Combat/Sports Sambo
Developed alongside Judo, but with influences of boxing and steppe wrestling.

Pretty sure normal jiu jitsu is judo these days.

Good luck finding a single legit Sambo school outside of Russia

Krac magra or whatever it's called looks good

Look in any place with a decently sized Russian community. Im not sure what it's like in Montreal, but it's pretty good in NYC.

Isn't that a neck beard meme sport?

I thought it was Jewish

I actually found a somewhat renouned Sambo school in Montreal. Quick rundown on what to expect? As far as I know, it's a mix of judo/wrestling/kickboxing. Where would you rank it in term of effectiveness compared to judo/wrestling/boxing?

Judo, while very effective if properly utilized, lacks strikes, which is the base that combat sambo covers along with takedowns and submissions. Sports sambo primarily focused on grappling and submitting like traditional wrestling. It's an effective mix of the sports, especially if you have a good instructor.

Plenty of conditioning, make sure your endurance is up because you're gonna be sweating like a pig.

The instructor at my local Sambo gym teaches combat sambo. But the trouble is that he is at 40min drive from home. I also found a well renouned judo dojo at 5min drive from home and the instructor has sambo experience. So, what would you suggest? Is the sambo gym worth the 40min drive? The way I understand, combat sambo is like russian muay thai + judo + bjj

it's krav maga, and the whole point is to be as deadly as possible
not really the best fit for this case

Uhhhhb
Greco Roman is focused on throwing

It looks really gay and silly when you're watching it, but when you do it yourself it's completely different.
There's something primal and fun about grappling another human being.

I've heard it's mostly butch women who hate men, but it's getting pretty popular so I'm sure more girls are into it nowadays. No girls in my gym though ;_;
>tfw you just want to "accidentally" let a qt get a kimura and sit on your face

>In a "real" fight, BJJ or wrestling will be of more use to the average person.
Lmao. American virgin detected.

funny thread i started taking my 16 yo brother to bjj last month (partly to have a patnah and partly to help him lose weight) and he loves it so much we bumped up from 3 to 6 classes a week and one of the purple belts sees potential in him.
i split mine into 3 days of muay thai and 3 days bjj so he might even surpass me and bjj and whoop my ass

BJJ is different from other MAs because it won't make you an athletic freak unless you put in lots of work, you're usually fighting at your own pace and unless you lift it will take years for it to give you a good physique (just my experience in my mma and bjj gym, the only jacked guys were mma pros and guys that lifted). Kickboxing, boxing and muay are better for doing a radical transformation from incel to scary motherfucker. They usually give you that lean explosive look. Judo and wrestling are fucking brutal on the street if you can grab someone and depending on the weightclass they turn guys into lean compact machines or just fucking tanks

bro im the user before you and your descruptions are giving me a motivational hardon

Pretty much all of the BJJ guys at my gym look skinnyfat or have a literal dadbod.
I took a handful of classes and hated the whole thing desu, it's just mounting people and awkwardly trying to do slow ass shit.

Wrestling and boxing are more fun, and some wrestling guys look fucking huge.

>a sport where mounting people and grabbing hold of rough and sturdy kimonos is practical for real life fights

Found the cock sucking pijama wrestling faggot.

Judo is fun and gives you a lot of coordination, also most people ive seen that practice judo for a long time had bomb ass bodies (men & women)

if you wanna have a chance at self defense i'd just go for boxing. most idiots just throw a measly punch and hope for the best.
dodging a haymaker, then hitting a livershot and blasting them in the face, thats the way to put an asshole in their place.

Boxing also teaches you how to take a punch, it's by far the most practical sport/martial art there is.
It also teaches you good footing, endurance and explosiveness all around.

I'm currently deciding between a gym where I can also go swimming. Or one, where I can also train Judo nearby. I'm really inclined to go for the one with Judo, but I wanna know, how is Judo competetivly? How is the progression system? I don't wanna pick it up just for self-defence but also as a hobby.
I'm 30+ btw, did Karate and Kung-Fu when I was 14.

considering you're not trying to go pro here and assuming you have a minimal background in combat sports,
definitely boxing.
I've taken boxing lessons as an alternative to lifting. It's the least practical (wrestling will win you a street fight), but you won't have to roll around w sweaty dudes, it looks cool, and it will have the most girls by far

new grappler detected.

Greco focuses on throws, just like judo does, but greco guys dont mind if their heads slam before their opponent does.

OP I went full grappling tard about 5 years ago. At or around 20 hours of practice a week between Sambo, Judo, and BJJ.

Judo will get you in the best shape if you go to a young, competitive gym. BJJ is way too focused on the ground, generally working standing to ground work at a 1:5 ratio (maybe one day a week working standup)

Judo is generally a 3:2 ratio, with fast and aggressive top based ground fighting, which is imo a lot better for IRL situations, given that playing off your back is never a good idea.

Sambo is too close to judo, I won my first sambo tournament after going hard in judo and casually wrestling. If you can find sambo, do sambo.

BJJ is generally 2-2.5x more expensive than Judo, so I say do judo. Lifting people up and throwing them 150x a practice is a great way to get in shape.

Judo is great desu! The only reason i stopped is that we didnt learn anything about defense against punches (duh, its a throwing sport) but i am thinking about starting again. Do judo.

Judo competitively is very fast and aggressive (unless you're in the 220lb+ division)

I've competed in national level tournaments more times than I can count currently, and a good judo match feels like doing as many power cleans as possible for 4 minutes straight.

It's all or nothing, there is a score for total victory (ippon) and scores for half points (wazari)

You can have 20 wazaris and still lose at the last second to a good ippon, so it is a constant pressure.

As with most martial arts, belts don't matter. At all. The white belts at the best gym in the US are better than most brown belts at okay gyms. Focusing on progression systems is generally ass. If you mean as in how to learn judo, that is entirely gym dependent. I personally find the progression system for judo to be gr8, and much more logical than wrestling or bjjs

If you mention to a boxing trainer at a gym that you want to practice Boxing for fitness and self defense versus competition, will they usually pay no attention to you because you are not competing?

Thx m8, good info.

judo is fun.
Tho sometimes I wonder if I'm getting brain damage from getting slammed into the mat so many times desu.

no, most people will be there for fitness rather than competition, unless you find like a legit old school rocky gym, in which they probably wouldnt have you join

Both should give free lessons. Also compare pricing. If both are good and comparable, starting judo is still good for sambo.

>Bjj
>real fight
What?

Offer no takedown control. I work at a nightclub with a lot of mexican wannabe boxers. I just slam them to the concrete (judo) and the fight is over. It is easy to take a punch to the face bareknuckle.

A big advantage are judo clubs, here it can be $35 for judo while bjj is $135. Got lucky and found a judo/bjj gym for $90 since the judo work is kinda probono.

Just practice your falling. Boxing and such will cause for head damage, grappling joint damage possibly.

THE
CROSSFIT
OF
MARTIAL
ARTS

>training BJJ ever

>easy to take a punch bareknuckle

You've never been punched by an actual boxer before.

The skull is much harder than the knuckles. Yes, if i get hit by Mike Tyson skill boxers, I would die. So looks like i need to watch out for 1% of boxers.

I worked with two boxers and 1 muay thai guy as a bouncer, the latter was the scariest by far (and yes, we sparred for shits and giggles). The scariest guy we had overall was a wrestler. He'd break their ribs and ankles, etc slamming them to the asphalt.

If we are going to play the you have never game now, you haven't punched a face bareknuckle. Your hand is more likely to break than him to feel pain. Unless you are going to play the "my punch will be perfect game" too.

Not that guy, but trained fighters getting into fights with trained fighters in a non controlled environment is stupid. You should be friends. I met one of my best friends after he blasted some drunk guy with a double leg, and then we started bonding over wrestling.

Also, for the sake of self defense, it is not something you really have to worry about. General self defense you teach basic duck unders and slips, how to avoid nignog haymakers, and how to hit straights with a much faster speed then your opponent.

Also, bareknuckle fists hurt less imo, they carry a lot less weight than with a glove.