What kind of resources would be needed to pull the titanic back up...

What kind of resources would be needed to pull the titanic back up? It's been agreed upon to leave the ship sunken but why, it's only going to deteriorate over the years. I imagine there's so much left untouched or seen on the ship

Attached: 1200px-RMS_Titanic_3.jpg (1200x882, 133K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/TvwYZvCQ
youtu.be/DLW2dklqDSo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why would you even want to

Today youd need straight up magic or an insane amount of money to pull it up

The structure isnt what it used to be
Its on the verge of collapse as is

to preserve it, it belongs in a museum!
you're saying it probably crumple bringing it up?

Attached: wat.gif (500x230, 845K)

This triggers me so hard because a fucking tesla is strapped to a rocket to send to outer space while we have the titanic rusting away under sea

Well one is
>muh nostalgia of no real gain

the other one is celebrating private companies advancing space technology/commerce

Probably
Plus you have to remove the tons of sand and shit that has gathered over it during all these years

It could be possible, but it would be extremely difficult and expensive, and you only have one shot at doing it

>What kind of resources would be needed to pull the titanic back up?
>It's been agreed upon to leave the ship sunken but why, it's only going to deteriorate over the years.

Because it's impossible. The Titanic is two miles down underneath the ocean's surface. Raising large ships from 100 feet down is already extremely difficult. Add into this the fact the ship broke up while sinking, AND sustained further heavy damage when it impacted the ocean floor. What speed did they estimate it was going? 35 mph? That destroyed whatever internal structural integrity the bow had left, and if you tried to move it even right afterwards it would have broken up. The stern, obviously, still had large pockets of air inside it so it imploded on the way down and became a total wreck before it even hit the bottom. Add onto this the fact that that structurally compromised metal has been rusting and deteriorating for over 100 years. The steel is barely a shell now. If you tried to touch it, it very well might come apart on you, and if you did manage to somehow get it to the surface, you'd have to immediately start treating it to restore some balance to it. And there just is not anywhere you can do that to a 45,000 ocean liner in the middle of the ocean, before it rusts into nothingness.

tl;dr to call raising the Titanic a pipe dream is an insult to Tommy Chong. Put down the Clive Cussler novel.

Attached: 1519061086057.jpg (1024x570, 53K)

>muh nostalgia of no real gain
you don't imagine alot of people would pay to see it in person? what shocks me is that no richfags are getting together to try and fund a project

>This triggers me so hard because a fucking tesla is strapped to a rocket to send to outer space while we have the titanic rusting away under sea

Strapping a Tesla to a rocket is considerably easier to do, and does not take the GDP of a small nation to accomplish.

Jews sunk the titanif because they want to kill John Jacob Astor

Not even going to bother to explain why that's a stupid idea

Find me an engineer that has the guts to sign his name on the plan to lift such an important piece of history
Where theres a giant chance of fucking it up and destroying it further

>giant chance
Only chance. There is only one way that attempting to raise the Titanic would end, and that's it disintegrating as soon as you tried to take a strain on the wires hauling it up. If it didn't disintegrate already when you were trying to attach those wires.

the only thing "stupid" is the chance of "destroying" it while bringing it back up, as the other guy said it'd probably get restored anyways
>theres a giant chance of fucking it up and destroying it further
> fucking it up and destroying it further
that's what has been happening since it sunk, if they have to pull it out in pieces, why not? they can accurately put it back together. How much more will deteriorate in say, 50 years?

>said it'd probably get restored anyways
No, I said that you wouldn't be able to start treating it before it rusted away into nothingness as soon as it touched air again. If you ever got it to the surface in the first place.

>they can accurately put it back together
No they can't.

Attached: 1519046903944.jpg (192x169, 22K)

Its so rusted by now it would be the same as building and entire new ship

Much cheaper too

>What kind of resources would be needed to pull the titanic back up?

It's impossible, it doesn't matter how many resources or what you do because it doesn't exist anymore.
The Titanic has been on the bottom of the ocean for so long that most of it has either rusted or deteriorated away in the salt water or it's just been eaten by microboobs, amoebadads, and snibbity snabs.

There's nothing left 'to' pull back up. It's gone.

How about slapping the Titanic to some rockets?

>to preserve it, it belongs in a museum!
It's just a commercial ship. Not even a particularly special one. It's just hyped because of its media coverage. Everything about it is utterly uninteresting.

>How do we raise a ship that's been dinged up by private submariners on their pleasure cruises and riddled with metal eating microbes?
You don't dickhead

>tfw you stole exceedingly retarded plot elements from Raise the Titanic to write an even more retarded prequel to that novel where the Confederate Army saves pregnant Anne Frank

pastebin.com/TvwYZvCQ

Attached: 11th Mississippi Gettysburg.jpg (1400x890, 473K)

Just leave it down there, it's a graveyard.

Just tie a balloon to it lmao

Attached: JUST.png (1446x733, 13K)

It's split in half so you need two balloons at least

This will never happen because the ship down there is not the Titanic at all. It was swapped so they could easily sink it and implement Central (communist) Banking in the US.

I know this is a troll post but good luck finding an anchoring point that wont result in the ship from just falling apart when you start pulling up

I made some adaptations to your design. Instead, we use two balloons like said as well as wire nets to distribute the pressure of the wires across the hull.

Attached: justuse2balloonslmao.png (1446x846, 23K)

The halves of the ship are almost a kilometer away from each other
And the rear of the ship is completely destroyed

>Just leave it down there, it's a graveyard.

This

Yes, the stern is likely not salvageable, but the methodology remains sound.

For histories sake.

Attached: Titanic.jpg (720x540, 53K)

The movie is criminally underrated

>ship was not the titanic
[Citation needed]

This, but ironically. RMS Olympic was sunk by the International Jewish Cabal to get rid of a bunch of opponents to the Federal Reserve.

Attached: jews-titanic.jpg (600x600, 218K)

This

Reminder that Richard Jordan is best Dirk Pitt. Fuck off McConaughey.

Attached: richard jordan gettysburg.jpg (657x1000, 67K)

This was actually a legitmate idea im the 20s...

Other ideas were using liquid nitrogen to encase it in ice so that it could be floated to the surface; filling it with ping-pong balls, or sending down submarines covered in magnets... all not plausible.

I'd have loved to have been sat in those meetings.

Fuck the Titanic, save the SS UNITED STATES which is just at port waiting for someone to save it

Attached: SSHSA_CH_BR_137.jpg (5400x2295, 1.4M)

Didn't some cruise line just buy it?

It ways literally over 1,000 tons. The only things that big that move float and that's why it's never coming up. It's an ungodly large hunk of Iron that's miles below the surface thousands of miles away from humanity.

Its no longer an ungodly large hunk of iron
its an ungodly large hunk of rust

>This was actually a legitmate idea im the 20s...

How did they have that idea in the 20s when they didn't know where it was yet?

No, they backed off because they didn't want to pay for the conversion.

>filling it with ping-pong balls
A: that method was developed after WW2
B: that method actually fucking worked when it was used.

Reminds me of Clive Cussler. Only back then they didn't know for sure if it sunk in two halves or not. Right now there's not much left of it.

You would need a time machine and someone with a high enough Speech skill to convince the captain not to drive the ship into an ice cube.

Attached: 050411-music-ice-cube.jpg (628x353, 36K)

>ping pong balls
I believe there is a Donald Duck story featuring this exact scenario. Scrooge raises some old ocean liner (probably based on the Titanic) off the ocean floor to find treasure, and he uses ping pong balls to do it.

What if we designed a suitably large ice pick and sent that back in time?

I like it!

Pregnant Romanova artwork when?

Attached: AnneFrank_001-ALT.jpg (687x1117, 531K)

We’re they just being cheap fucks or is the ship really unseaworthy?

sorry stalin but it doesn't work that way

It would definitely fall apart. It also broke in half during the process of sinking and IIRC the two halves are like a mile away from each other, and both are heavily corroded from sea water and parts of the wreck are submerged pretty deep in the mud.

>Pregnant Romanova artwork when?

I need this

the confusion comes from titanics windows were actually changed just before it was complete to match the Olympics.

It just would take a lot of money to make an effective modern cruise ship. To start with you'd need to remove all the asbestos and then completely rewire the ship. Then you'd have to remodel it into something that people could cruise on, and then reengine it to be economical.

It would cost billions, easily.

>Then you'd have to remodel it into something that people could cruise on

Wouldn’t the ship’s age and 1950s decor be part of the appeal?

They also used the two interchangeably in advertising

Have you ever been on a cruise? The 50's decor isn't going to do it for them

What point would there be to buying a 1950s ship if you're not going to advertise it as a journey back to a more elegant past?

Attached: SS_United_States.jpg (800x507, 55K)

A giant microwave to drain the Atlantic.

Alternatively, just accelerate global warming.

No? user, the ship was built as a method of transportation, not a destination in of itself. The difference might seem small, but it's massive. It will need new amenities built, it would need to be wired for TV and internet, hell, it'd need a fucking pool deck to be installed.

>>What kind of resources would be needed to pull the titanic back up?

Here you go:

youtu.be/DLW2dklqDSo

the metal's probably too fucked too actually try and move it
its dead jim

>ship was supposedly invisible
>supposedly sunk by scraping ice to the sides until it broke in half
>lack of lifeboats
>some witness saw it broke into two piece while other say it was still intact
>prominent anti semitic figure like colonel john jacob astor in the ship
>ship falling at free fall speed to the ocean
I wonder (((who))) could be behind it

How would a Confederate victory in the Civil War have affected the building and sinking of the RMS Titanic?

Would Anne Frank become pregnant as a result of both?

Attached: 05614786-FAEA-4DC2-93EA-915639C0AFA9.jpg (2147x2997, 1.08M)

Call me an emotional fafg but I'm of the opinion that the wreckage of the Titanic should be left undisturbed as a burial site.

I don't know why I don't feel the same about 9/11 or the hindenburg, but there's just something about the Titanic that seems so fucking tragic.

>sunk by an iceBERG

THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT

Same

FUCKING JOOS

REEEEEEEEEE

Go back to /pol/

(((J.P. Morgan)))

Hired

No (((you)))

This

Titanic have been saved by the fact it’s maiden voyage would’ve been further South to reach a Confederate port

You people are a blight on this board.

t. Abradolf Lincoler

This

Why wouldn’t he?

I mean, ridiculous OP fantasies aside, we can still learn from the wreck. To quote someone who was part of the James Cameron expeditions, responding to someone (I want to say it was a Robert Ballard speech?) who said the wreck should be off limits because people's bodies were at one time down there: "The wreck is our last witness, our last living survivor. The wreck alone can help us learn more about the people and events of that fatal voyage."

What else is there to learn besides how microbes eat up century-old steel?

Attached: e89d6d6f.jpg (1900x1350, 1.72M)

The last expedition that Cameron did helped us better understand how the ship actually sank which helps both in understanding the structural aspect of the sinking and the social/disaster aspect of what the people who lived and died that night experienced; in addition we learned more about the interiors of various rooms, such as the Turkish baths, which were still remarkably preserved.

It's a grave it belongs to the deep. Apart from that it was really a terrible ship made by cutting corners here and there. A lot better ships lie on the bottom. Her sister ship - Brittanic for example, and it would be easier to salvage it's only in 150 meters of water.

Attached: download.jpg (275x183, 5K)

Fucking this - it's in much better shape too.

Attached: 0755bb551b519b1670fea9c40a50280c--lost.jpg (564x366, 39K)

What corners were cut?

Underpaid workers, pretty low quality steel even for 1910s. Sample taken from the ship prove that there is an extremely high amount of carbon in it. Test carried showed it became extremely brittle with temperatures bellow 32F. Also, the so called watertight bulkheads were not executed as originally planned and were implemented only on the lower decks. That meant that as soon as the water reached E deck it was game over as the compartments did absolutely fuck all.

And I'm not saying any of those things in particular made her not seaworthy, it's just the unluckiest concentration of critical factors on the planet. The only real luck they had was that the ship did not capsize. I reckon if it did less than 100 people would have made it.

While it may be possible, the CIA did something similar in the 80s, it would cost so much it would be 10 times cheaper to build an authentic replica in Belfast.

>Also, the so called watertight bulkheads were not executed as originally planned and were implemented only on the lower decks. That meant that as soon as the water reached E deck it was game over as the compartments did absolutely fuck all.

Mmm, I don't know that I would call this cutting corners, so much as choosing a design that was practically and financially sound at the time.

Titanic's bulkhead design actually saved the ship from rapidly sinking, ensuring that the crew was able to launch all of the lifeboats and save the lives of 700+ people. The type of bulkhead that you're thinking of, which goes all the way to the weather deck, was designed for war ships and was both practically detrimental (made getting around the ship difficult for both crew and passengers) and financially detrimental (made it impossible to have luxury accommodations and large rooms); but most significantly, it made operating the ships much more difficult and was potentially dangerous. In the event of a collision, if those type of bulkheads were breached in such a way that the compartments became separated, it would have resulted in uncontrollable flooding in the engine and boiler rooms, leading to a fast and much more fatal sinking.

Before Titanic, most ships only had 1 or 2 collision bulkheads, not bulkheads fitted with watertight doors, no matter the height. Titanic had 16 of them which were designed to allow the ship to stay afloat long enough after multiple types of collisions for help to arrive. And before Titanic, there were no known ship sinkings where the hull was breached that significantly and at that length, so they didn't think it was even a possibility that so many compartments would flood. With the usage of the telegraph system and the busy waterways, it was assumed that any incident Titanic ran into would be resolved by the ship staying afloat long enough for another vessel to arrive.

It wasnt meant to be drawn to scale fsggot. Math 101

Too deep.
All the historical ships raised before (Think the Mary Rose in England or Vasa in Sweden) have been only a few tens of metres down at most.

It was sunk by an ice(((berg))).

kek

>only in 150 meters of water

How is it not covered in junk like netting like how the Andrea Doria is?

It would be easier and cheaper to just build a new one.

Attached: 1519545071964.jpg (480x409, 30K)

The wreck is probably not near any major shipping lanes

It is actually in the middle of one of the major shipping lanes. But it's a protected area and a "navigational hazard" thus making it's off limits to shipping, fishing and amateur diving alike. As far as I am aware since it sunk there have only been less than 10 official dives.